PDA

View Full Version : Simple Nitrous kit questions.

Habibus
10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
I know next to nothing about nitrous, so I have some questions about a simple install later on down the road before I get too far in my mod plans.

Basically, I want to do some Doug Thorley Headers, Vararam, catback, tune and something similar if not a Livernois stage 1 cam. But besides those I want to trap 120mph in the 1/4, which from what I can tell isn't possible with that list of mods. Which is where nitrous comes in. Basically I want to run around with a "normal" tune for the cam and all the mods I listed and then, when I want it do a 50 shot or so to get the 120mph trap speed I'm looking for.

So my question is this, do I need a nitrous specific tune for a 50 shot? I know nitrous tunes retard timing, which would hurt me when I wouldn't be running nitrous, correct? Would a 50 shot be even enough?

Like I said, basically I want a normal cammed car and just a little extra when I need it. Is this possible with a small shot of nitrous?

Mlozano
10-14-2009, 08:43 AM
If you get a nitrous specific tune to cut timing (which you need to do) you'll lose HP when you don't use the nitrous, get an HSW interface controller and it'll only cut timing when you use the nitrous. And no, a 50 shot prob wouldn't be enough to get you to 120, but that's an easy fix, just buy a kit that has multiple nozzle jets included (which most do) and start from 50 then add bigger jets if the 50 isn't enough. It's simple to swap out jets to add more nitrous, if you have the interface controller you'll never have to tune when you change how much nitrous you use. Also one thing you haven't mentioned in your mods is new wheels and tires, you're wasting your time with all those mods if you can't get your wheels to stick.

micheal0484
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I've always heard anything under 100 shot you don't need to adjust timing just run some colder plugs. But Im no expert

Scalarrthu
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I've always heard anything under 100 shot you don't need to adjust timing just run some colder plugs. But Im no expert

:charlie3: Running a 100 (wet) will be fine without any adjustment to the tune! And definitely get some colder plugs...

Habibus
10-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I actually think I have a set of 8 TR6 plugs in my desk drawer I bought for my GTO that I never got around to putting in. This is way down the road, after I do everything else. Its just something I've been toying with. A cam by itself will be way faster than anything I've driven and will probably suffice for a while. But I have a feeling it will be like stereo systems. Its loud at first and then it doesn't seem to go quite as loud as it used to be. So adding a little nitrous later may help that, for a while.. :)

GRRRR8
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
You will need a 150 shot minimum to trap 120 mph.