PDA

View Full Version : would an IR signal get through the glove box door?

WinstonWolf
10-05-2008, 03:06 PM
i'm working on putting a slim ps2 into my glove box, my question is would the IR signal make it through the door?

i'd like to have wireless IR controllers and a ps2 remote to control the console, if possible. if it doesn't work, i could always use a wired controller.

TomPierce
10-05-2008, 03:30 PM
No.

Infrared is Line of Sight. The receiver must have clear path to the sender and vice versa.

WinstonWolf
10-05-2008, 05:37 PM
hmmmm....in that case i wonder if one of those ir repeaters would do the trick...

T.Rex
11-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I've tried 3 or 4 IR to RF remote converters, and this is the only one that actually works as advertised. It replaces one of the batteries in the remote with a rechargeable transmitter/battery. Simple and it works between floors in my house, so it should easily handle a thin piece of plastic (glove box).

http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/Internal-RF-Adapter-for-Almost-Any-Remote/p.aspx

WinstonWolf
11-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I've tried 3 or 4 IR to RF remote converters, and this is the only one that actually works as advertised. It replaces one of the batteries in the remote with a rechargeable transmitter/battery. Simple and it works between floors in my house, so it should easily handle a thin piece of plastic (glove box).

http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/Internal-RF-Adapter-for-Almost-Any-Remote/p.aspx

wow so you've used this? is there any sort of delay in the signal? that would be a deal-killer for a video game controller.

edit: in researching this i realized that the wireless controllers are RF, not IR. so i guess they would make it through the glove box???

:hmm:

T.Rex
11-05-2008, 11:13 AM
wow so you've used this? is there any sort of delay in the signal? that would be a deal-killer for a video game controller.

edit: in researching this i realized that the wireless controllers are RF, not IR. so i guess they would make it through the glove box???

:hmm:

Yes, I have two of them installed in my house. You can order them in different frequencies. The signal is so strong that if you are using more than one, they must be on different frequencies or it causes major confusion! We use one to control a DVD player and satellite receiver in a linen closet behind a flat screen mounted on a wall in our bedroom, and the other controls a satellite receiver in our kitchen from the other upstairs bedrooms and our basement (you can buy additional transmitter "batteries"). No delay, no waving it around to get it to work. No further than you are going in the car, you wouldn't even have to extend the antenna.

Other features that'd make it particularly good for the car is small receiver/transmitter recharger pod and the battery adapters included work with any remote that uses AA or AAA batteries. In other words, it'd easily fit in the glovebox or even the armrest console (with a long enough IR repeater cable to go to the PS2/DVD player in the glovebox) and it would work with most other devices you may choose in the future.

We've used several others that sucked. These work!

I think in doing some research that most of the older generation game consoles use RF for wireless controllers. However, I'm not sure what this uses if you were going to use the PS2 primarily for DVD playback,

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS2/Accessories/SCPH-10420