PDA

View Full Version : Saw a GXP at the auto cross

third_shift|studios
10-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Went auto Xing with the Phoenix over the weekend and there was a beautiful black GXP there. I was really interested to see what it would run, I can't remember what class it was though.

Luckily I had to work the course while it was running. I was kinda shocked at how much body roll the car had! It sounded fierce though-i took a sound clip of it with my phone. It only did about a second faster than my time. I couldn't tell if there were any mods and the owner split before I could talk to him.

So i'm just wondering, is a GXP worth the extra $$ if you'd still have to add suspension to counter the body roll?

99-LS1-SS
10-25-2009, 03:06 PM
That all depends on if you want a manual transmission or not.

Vz28
10-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Hello,
Having test driven several 08/09 GTs before purchasing my GXP, I'd say that there isn't a big difference for normal driving or moderate handling. In my case, I also wanted the manual transmission, so I had to get the GXP.
But here is what I noticed (I had some time to test the handling of both GT and GXP on the test drives):

-GXP springs *might* be stiffer than GT springs, I honestly don't know, but if so it can't be by much - the GT and GXP seemed to have similar roll angles. I did notice that my GXP sits slightly higher than a GT of the same year. But the balance is more neutral (see below), so maybe the front/rear spring rate ratio is different?
-The GXP front shocks have more damping force - they help the front end to take a set much quicker than the GT, but you do get a slightly firmer ride
-The GXP rear shocks didn't seem any better than the GT shocks, or if so only by a little, as there is too little spring control (mushy feel). This is one area that they could have done much better to match the front damping on the GXP
-The balance of the GXP is more neutral than the GT, probably due to the bigger rear sway bar. You can steer with the throttle more easily, and the car does not understeer as much as the GT, so you can throw it into turns with a tiny bit more speed and drift the exit if you want, something the GT had a harder time doing
-The FIRST thing I noticed (keep in mind I autocross fairly often, so I look for things like this) about the GXP over the GT was that rear toe link that the GXP gets (I think the GT has bushings in that spot instead?). It lets you enter turns with more precise placement, feels like you are steering and placing from the rear of the car to the front, and I really liked the more solid feel it provided on turn-in over the GT.

My opinion? The GXP's rear toe link would be nice to have on the GT, and everything else could be upgraded with the same aftermarket parts. But there is a difference (for the better) in balance and precision with the GXP stock parts.
Sorry for the long response, I hope that helps.

V
'09.5 GXP m6

Slizzo
10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
GXP was Nurburgring tuned on the FE3 suspension. GT and Base were not (they're on FE2 suspension).

GXP should be more predictable and "easier" to toss around a track.

00 Trans Ram
11-13-2009, 09:42 PM
First off, I'd listen to Vz28. I don't know him, but someone doesn't make comments like that unless they know what they're talking about.

That said, 90% of the time you can make a lower-model car with aftermarket parts perform better than a higher-model car, for less money than you could have bought the higher-model car. The biggest exception to that rule is different engine types - not different types of V8s (like GT/GXP), but something like trying to make a V6 Camaro better than a Z-28 for only a few grand.