PDA

View Full Version : New speed laws in FL

wreckwriter
10-05-2008, 05:18 AM
sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flbspeed1005sboct05,0,3528935.story
South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Not so fast: Florida institutes $1,000 fine for going 50 mph over limit

By Michael Turnbell and Sallie James

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

October 5, 2008

Brazen motorcyclists and drivers now will be clobbered with a fine in the four figures — $1,000 and up — if they get busted for excessive speeding on Florida roads.

And for the bikers, there are additional new rules, including an absolute ban on "popping wheelies," or lifting their front wheel off the pavement.

Under a Florida law that took effect this month, drivers face a $1,000 fine for going 50 mph over the speed limit.

Get caught a second time and you'll fork over $2,500 and lose your license for a year. You'll pay $5,000 for the third offense and forfeit your license for 10 years.

Previously, the harshest penalty was $250 for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 mph. This penalty is still in effect.

On the second day the new law went into effect, and using airplanes to track traffic, officers cited 80 people for excessive speeding in a 1 1/2 -hour period Thursday evening on the southern end of the Palmetto Expressway in Miami-Dade County.

One motorcyclist was clocked at 150 mph. A Ford Mustang hit 145 mph.

"I expected we'd see two or three, but there was one right after the other," said state Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, R-Miami, who drafted the new law to deter speed demons from turning highways into a Florida version of the Le Mans racecourse.

Lopez-Cantera's bill initially targeted reckless motorcyclists on racing-style motorcycles. But the Legislature broadened it to include all motorists after motorcycle riders complained it was discriminatory.

A second part of the law requires that motorcyclists keep both wheels on the ground at all times. Bike owners must also attach their license tags horizontally.

If the plate is improperly mounted, officers can fine the rider $1,000. The intent was to penalize riders with "flip-up" tags which can be turned so the tag isn't readable — a ploy used by speeders.

But it also may hurt riders with highly-customized bikes, like certain choppers whose design may make traditional mounting impossible, said James Lesniak, president of the Southeast chapter of the local motorcycle rights group ABATE.

"You get a guy who pays $80,000 for his bike, rides it out of the shop the first day, and a few blocks away gets a $1,000 ticket," Lesniak said.

I think this is absolutely ridiculous."

"Big Ed" Youssef, president of the Outsiders Motorcycle Club, a sports bike club with about 50 members, said the law is unfair but probably necessary.

"You have a lot of independent riders going out there doing whatever they want," Youssef said. "The machines are so fast, police can't keep up with them. Unfortunately, a lot of good riders are going to get caught in the crossfire."

Michael Turnbell can be reached at mturnbell@SunSentinel.com or 954-356-4155.

Copyright © 2008, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

GRRRR8
10-05-2008, 05:58 AM
So much for retiring in Florida! lol

PostalCherokee
10-05-2008, 07:41 AM
This is a good thing. Who needs to be going over 50mph over the speed limit on the freakin highway. Most of our highways and turnpike...ect, the speed limit is around 70. Do you really need to be going 120 or more? Hopefully this will cut down on stupid driving.

norm8332
10-05-2008, 08:13 AM
In NY you license is suspended for the first offense at 40 or more over.

BMR Sales
11-12-2008, 06:30 AM
I dont know about the bike plate thing. My brother got pulled over a week ago and the cop warned him about his tag being vertical but did give him a ticket. Like that guy said "like certain choppers whose design may make traditional mounting impossible" thats my brothers bike to a T lol. Oh well....

GRRRR8
11-12-2008, 06:43 AM
I think it is crazy when a bike or vehicle is obviously customized that a cop pulls it over for a bullshit infraction. Now if they catch you being stupid and then wear the pen out I guess that is different, but some of the crap I see is just stupid!

BMR Sales
11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I think it is crazy when a bike or vehicle is obviously customized that a cop pulls it over for a bullshit infraction. Now if they catch you being stupid and then wear the pen out I guess that is different, but some of the crap I see is just stupid!I agree 100%, as long as the tag is visible leave it alone.

R.Penguin
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Sh**! 50 over around here gets you an immediate free ride to jail. THEN they start adding up the fines. Then they introduce you to "Bubba", your cellmate until you get upgraded to prison. By that time you will have no problem fitting a 2 liter bottle of Coke up your ass. :p

-Ray-
11-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I believe 50 over is an arrestable offense here as well. In Calif, they can crush your car if it's modified and you are caught racing on the streets.

SRG963
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
...Then they introduce you to "Bubba", your cellmate until you get upgraded to prison. By that time you will have no problem fitting a 2 liter bottle of Coke up your ass. :p

you paint such nice pictures :surprise:

wreckwriter
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I believe 50 over is an arrestable offense here as well. In Calif, they can crush your car if it's modified and you are caught racing on the streets.

Here they confiscate and make cop cars out of them.....

R.Penguin
11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
you paint such nice pictures :surprise:
Penguins are natural arteeests. Im just happy that's not based on personal experience....................yet! :p

LDV60
11-13-2008, 06:32 PM
In western NSW they've given up replacing the signs on the road that say what the maximum fine is. Used to be about $1000 (10 years ago). Then they patched over the $$ with a $1500, then a $2000, then a $3000.... now it just says EXCEEDS $3500.

I think the max is now up near the $4000 for really excessive speeds.

Most states in Australia have "anti-hoon" laws. Impound 30 days on first offence, sell your car for repeat offences of street racing, speeding (anything 30kph + over limit I think) or even just burn outs.

The politicians in Australia seem to think that fines will change behaviour and that speed is the only thing that kills people. (every k over is a killer is THE major slogan in Queensland) Clearly it's all bullshit but politically is easy to get away with.

The Commodore
01-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Here they confiscate and make cop cars out of them.....

If I see a G8 cop car....I'll know why.

jonasan50
01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Bikes are the most rediculous machines on the roads down here.. They are soo much fun, that you can't help but to go fast on them.. The freedom is unbelievable.. BUT...

South Fl is also the dumbest place you can have one.. There are so many idiots behind the wheel of a car here, that it makes it so dangerous.. Not to mention the psycho's that actually ride the bikes themselves..

I've scraped up sooo many bikes and body parts from deuschebags that go 150-160 on the roadways.. It's all fun and games till someone changes a lane on you.. So they wreck and die.. I gotta clean up the mess and notify the families.. Now you guys might see some stuff on the news, but let me be the one to tell ya.. SOOO much more happens that the news don't even know about.. Is it worth it??

So yes, they made another law to be strict on speeders (50 over cmon). 50 is plenty guys.. so you don't think you would deserve a 1k ticket or arrest if you are doing 95 in a 45?? Think of the roads that are 45mph.. Then imagine a car flying by at 95 miles an hour... Catch my drift?

Bikes are the most guilty parties of them all.. More than half try to run from you when they get stopped, cause they usually do something retarded and dont wanna get busted.. And they bitch about the license plate not being horizontal? The plates are tiny as it is, and you want to try and read it from a distance SIDEWAYS?? Gimme a break.. A custom chopper, ok there is discretion there.. Bike a crotch rocket that moves the plate from the factory spot in order to HIDE it or make it more difficult to read, YES you will get a ticket..

I'm done with my class... Any questions comments or concerns??

Chewy
01-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Driving down I-75 gets worse the further South you venture.

I SWEAR you look at the Q-tips :) driving and the look on their face is saying "how did I get here and what am I doing"

The reason people speed in 75 is because EVERYONE sits in the left lane so you have to hammer it, pass everyone in the right lane and get over to pass that ONE care that's a 1/2 mile ahead.

Drives me NUTS!

I'm driving 6 hours to Key West in February. Should be an adventure! lol

foreosu
01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I envy you Southerners for three reasons:

1. Your hot-ass women!
2. Your weather
3. Your 70 mph speed limits on highways

Chewy
01-13-2009, 01:39 PM

1. Your hot-ass women!
2. Your weather

It's 70mph in Iowa! Just certain areas limit it to 65.

Yep... That's all I've got...

although there are some HOT ass girls at the Univ of IA. DAMN! :worthy:

tby
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm done with my class... Any questions comments or concerns??

Repeat after me: Not every biker is a hooligan.

EcoBrick Bob
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
SORRY CHARLIE!!!

When we were coming down this fall.. Got passed around Tampa when I was going about 85 by 3 rice rockets that were going nearly twice my speed. If I had pulled out to pass, I would have collected all 3. Later they were stopped at the 265-75 interchange and just laughing it off. FUCKERS!

EcoBrick Bob
01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Seriously.... This SHIT HAS TO STOP! THANK GOD FOR THE FHP.

The Commodore
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM

1. Your hot-ass women!
2. Your weather

Our dumbass people?(South Florida)

IIRC Texas has the highest speed limit in the nation....

Texas has everything I need....I think I may move there. I have a bunch of family there as well.