PDA

View Full Version : P0121 after engine work?

Ace22
10-10-2009, 12:39 AM
I just got back from Livernois. Had Maggie 2300, Kook's midlength headers, and BMR trailing arms (already had Rotofab intake and Corsa exhaust). I was driving home in the rain, and all of the sudden got the code P0121, which is the Powertrain/throttle control system. I discussed this with them up in Livernois, and sounds like they have never had that issue.

I had the code reset and seems to be running fine, but was wondering if this is anything serious or can be ignored. Any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW...will try to post numbers later (A6 GXP). Thanks.

-Ray-
10-10-2009, 02:11 AM
P0121 Throttle Position Sensor1 Circuit Range/Performance
DTC P0121
The TP Sensor 1 disagrees more than 9 percent from TP sensor 2. Or TP sensor 1 disagrees more than 9 percent from the predicted value. Either condition exists for more than 4 seconds.

Ace22
10-10-2009, 06:02 AM
P0121 Throttle Position Sensor1 Circuit Range/Performance
DTC P0121
The TP Sensor 1 disagrees more than 9 percent from TP sensor 2. Or TP sensor 1 disagrees more than 9 percent from the predicted value. Either condition exists for more than 4 seconds.

Thanks...if I reset the code...any problems I should expect? Or, should I look into getting this fixed? Again, happened right after supercharger installed.

-Ray-
10-10-2009, 06:04 AM
If you reset it and it doesn't return you'll be fine. I set a code every time I dyno. Soon as I restart it it goes away.

Ace22
10-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Cool...just a weird code. I'll just have to drive it more and see what happens:). Wanted to make sure it wasn't serious.

familycaronROIDS!
10-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Ace22 what are your dyno numbers??

Nice set up.

Ace22
10-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Ace22 what are your dyno numbers??

Nice set up.

I'll post them next week, the dyno sheets were sent to my work by e-mail. I'm not as high as others (I am an automatic mind you)...but totally pleased!

Ace22
10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I threw the same code again tonight. Both times happened after heavy rain. Is it possible that the throttle body cable is getting wet? (I had to remove hood liner and hood scoop rubbers). I went ahead and wrapped cable in electrical tape, put Dynamat under hood, and put rubbers back in. Any suggestions?

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
This code, the P0068 code, and one or two others I am forgetting right now are common right after doing extensive airflow mods on these cars, such as forced induction or serious port work.

Just turn the test off in the engine diagnostics, general, diagnostics tests P0101, P0106, P0121 portion of your tune by raising the min ECT to 491 degrees and the max to 493 degrees. This will essentially turn those tests off unless your coolant temps are between that heat range, in which case you have bigger fish to fry. haha.

Ace22
10-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for your input Robert...greatly appreciated. Will let you know how it turns out.

Ace22
10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Well, the car stalled on me today (stumbled and stalled) The car was warmed up all the way. Andy and Dan are gone for a few days, so I'm afraid the car will stall again. It is cold and damp weather-wise here, and the car is probably running rich from the tune. Is there anything I should be worried about? Bad Throttle Body? I'm assuming that the tune would make it run rich intentionally (?). Any ideas? Normal or not?

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Well, the car stalled on me today (stumbled and stalled) The car was warmed up all the way. Andy and Dan are gone for a few days, so I'm afraid the car will stall again. It is cold and damp weather-wise here, and the car is probably running rich from the tune. Is there anything I should be worried about? Bad Throttle Body? I'm assuming that the tune would make it run rich intentionally (?). Any ideas? Normal or not?

It sounds like your tune needs a few minor tweaks. I really doubt your TB is bad already, let alone when you factor in the timing of this popping up and the mods that you just had done to the car. As I said before just have those tests turned off and double check your part throttle (closed loop) AFR's and also your WOT AFR's if you are concerned about them. Chances are likely that these little issues that you are having are entirely tune related and can be taken care of in 10 minutes with your tuner. Livernoise does good work so I doubt it is anything mechanical which leaves the tune. These cars get a little temperamental with forced induction which is why some of those tests have to be modified or turned off in the tune. No biggie, I am sure you will be fine once you get those few tweaks.

Tempest2000
10-15-2009, 10:10 AM
fyi I always see the cars "tune" change a little after a new tune. Seems on my car at least it relearns over a 4 or 5 day period. My first tune was great the day I drove it home 9 hours and about day 4 or 5 it had a slight stumble off idle.

Dan retuned the maf settings and everything was working as it should.

I'm sure Dan will take care of you just email him and/or Andy.

Do you have a data logger of any kind to send them a log file?

Ace22
10-15-2009, 10:16 AM
No data logger. Yeah, Andy and Dan are out of the office until mid-week. Do you have to let the car warm up before you take off? Do they set it to run rich with a supercharger...reason is because it is cold and wet here, didn't know if it affected anything. Thanks.

Tempest2000
10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't have a s/c, but I know dan tunes everything on the safe side especially FI he doesn't want anything blowing up :)

Tunes at one place don't always work perfect elsewhere too. climate, altitude etc. can play a role as well. Like I said it also does a relearn that sometimes throws things off a little.

Hopefully you can get a hold of them and see if Dan can help you out. He might have a laptop with him or be able to talk someone at his shop through making a few changes for you and emailing them to you.

Call the shop if email doesn't work and explain what is going on they will get you in touch with someone that can help.

Ace22
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks man...your help is greatly appreciated. Will see how it turns out.

edmanet
10-15-2009, 12:42 PM
No data logger. Yeah, Andy and Dan are out of the office until mid-week. Do you have to let the car warm up before you take off? Do they set it to run rich with a supercharger...reason is because it is cold and wet here, didn't know if it affected anything. Thanks.

I believe Rick is at LSX. And Dan and Andy are at E-town this weekend. I could send them a text to call you if needed.

Ace22
10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
I believe Rick is at LSX. And Dan and Andy are at E-town this weekend. I could send them a text to call you if needed.

Thanks, Andy is aware of the situation...I will be getting a cable soon so that I can data log and see what's going on. I appreciate your thoughtfulness...they have my cell number.

Tempest2000
10-16-2009, 04:41 AM
ace you have some really bad planning I mean who has a s/c put on when his tuning shop is going out of town the next week anyways? LOL

Just kidding man I know it sux hang in there.

I've learned nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

Ace22
10-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Tell me about...well, I know they will help, just have to be patient :)

Livernois Motorsports
10-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Tell me about...well, I know they will help, just have to be patient :)

You should have the interface today. Let me know if you need a hand once you receive it and we'll take a look at the info you get.

Thank you,

Rick

Tempest2000
10-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Just some info on the ls2 scanner from what I've found it may or may not help you. I have the updated version that does work with logs so I'm guessing its the same as the one you are getting.

Now this ONLY applies to taking log files not to making a copy of your tcm/ecm or to loading a new tcm/ecm file...

For me the scanner worked great for taking tcm/ecm reads and loading new ones per the directions...

HOWEVER... on trying to take log files it didn't want to cooperate.

I had to hook the usb up to the computer first, open up the ls2 scanner program and THEN connect the obdii connector to the car with it in the on position. Then click connect to pcm. Any other combo and it would say usb cable not found... I found that it helps to look at the lights in the converter box. When it wasn't working I only saw I believe 2 sold lights and one flashing all of them red. When it will work is when it has 3 solid and one flashing. Going off of memory so don't hold me to it. Once you click connect to pcm it will have a flashing green led in the mix.

Also you only get one shot at the scan after you click stop scan you can't start it back up it errors out. I even had to disconnect the obdii cable and reconnect it again to get it to recognize with the scanner.

Just giving you some info from my experience with logging a little over a month ago with the ls2 scanner.

Tempest2000
10-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Rick did you get my 2300 and the mechanic to install it at my house in the mail for me yet? LOL See if you can use him for packaging material around the maggie wouldn't want it getting damaged...

I will see you guys probably after christmas to get some more work done. Maybe when I'm done this time we can go for a ricer roll race :)

Ace22
10-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Rick sent me the x-treme cal tune interface and got it next day. Dan sent an e-mail with the updated file. Using the interface was a breeze (once my computer cooperated).

I was able to take it for a test drive, and so far so good. No code are shuttering. It feels and handles great! I'll watch it over the weekend. BTW..I took it to my local GM mechanic today (before I received the interface), and everything is okay (throttle body and sensor).

I can't thank Livernois (Rick, Andy, Dan) and the people on this board enough for their help. I will watch it over the weekend and see how it performs. It is truly amazing how a car can be tuned with a simple e-mail:thumbsup:

Tempest...thanks for your input using the interface...will keep that in mind in the future.

Tempest2000
10-16-2009, 08:56 PM
cool man glad it worked out...

BigV8
10-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Glad things worked out, of coarse we all know that would be the case with Livernois. Wish i could go for a ride with you Darrin, love to see how it runs :)

Livernois Motorsports
10-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Glad things worked out, of coarse we all know that would be the case with Livernois. Wish i could go for a ride with you Darrin, love to see how it runs :)

Darrin,

Glad it worked out. Please let us know if we need to make any other changes.

-Rick

edmanet
10-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Just some info on the ls2 scanner from what I've found it may or may not help you. I have the updated version that does work with logs so I'm guessing its the same as the one you are getting.

Now this ONLY applies to taking log files not to making a copy of your tcm/ecm or to loading a new tcm/ecm file...

For me the scanner worked great for taking tcm/ecm reads and loading new ones per the directions...

HOWEVER... on trying to take log files it didn't want to cooperate.

I had to hook the usb up to the computer first, open up the ls2 scanner program and THEN connect the obdii connector to the car with it in the on position. Then click connect to pcm. Any other combo and it would say usb cable not found... I found that it helps to look at the lights in the converter box. When it wasn't working I only saw I believe 2 sold lights and one flashing all of them red. When it will work is when it has 3 solid and one flashing. Going off of memory so don't hold me to it. Once you click connect to pcm it will have a flashing green led in the mix.

Also you only get one shot at the scan after you click stop scan you can't start it back up it errors out. I even had to disconnect the obdii cable and reconnect it again to get it to recognize with the scanner.

Just giving you some info from my experience with logging a little over a month ago with the ls2 scanner.

Same here !!! Mine would not log anything. Dan sent me an updated scanner
file but I haven't have a chance to try it since I got operated on.

Tempest2000
10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
you need the updated scanner AND the updated software for the logging to work