PDA

View Full Version : 2009 G8 GT vs head/cam 5.0

ScreaminRedZ
10-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Previously I raced my friend in his 5.0 LX with my stock LT1. His car has a few bolt-ons and a mild heads/cam setup. It's never been on a dyno, but guesses put it around 265-275 rwhp. With my LT1 we went from a 20mph roll and I was able to jump out on him, but he walked past me for the win.

Tonight I got to rematch him in the G8. I was alone and he had one passenger.

First run was from a dig. Three honks and we took off. I knew he would have traction problems so I launched really soft to make sure I didn't have the same problem. I was able to get out about 3/4 of a car on him on the launch and then it stayed right there past 100 mph with him not being able to catch me and me not being able to pull away any more.

Second run was from a 20 mph roll. I wanted to take his traction problems out of the equation and see what the cars could do. Three honks and we hit it. He pulled about a fender on me pretty quickly and I thought he'd keep pulling, but I stopped his pull there and he stayed a fender in front of me until 110 mph, but wasn't pulling away any farther.

Overall they were some real geat races. From a dig he doesn't stand a chance even without the passenger unless he gets some drag radials. From a roll he would probably walk away very slowly without the passenger, but the two cars are a very good match!

When I race my friend with the cammed notch it should be a great race from a dig. His car should make a bit less power than the car I raced tonight, but he's got some big meaty 28" MT drag radials and skinnies that should let him launch the hell out of the car.

I'll keep you posted!

Blackrider
10-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Unless its wet, traction problems are not something I associate with a Stock G8. But it sounds like some good old fun! :woohoo:

-Ray-
10-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Unless its wet, traction problems are not something I associate with a Stock G8. But it sounds like some good old fun! :woohoo:

Wait until you start bumping up that HP.

ScreaminRedZ
10-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Yeah, I really havne't had to worry about that too much, but I know he was going to have that problem so I launched real soft just to be on the safe side.

The roll race was for his benefit as far as traction goes. I wanted to see how his car would pull without the launch issues.