PDA

View Full Version : 09-03-08-008: Knock Clunk Or Click Noise From Front Suspension Over Small Bumps (Rep

WickedMom
10-09-2009, 07:04 AM
#09-03-08-008: Knock Clunk Or Click Noise From Front Suspension Over Small Bumps (Replace Front Lower Control And Caster Arms) - (Oct 5, 2009)

Subject: Knock, Clunk or Click Noise from Front Suspension Over Small Bumps (Replace Front Lower Control and Caster Arms)

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

Attention: This bulletin is intended to correct a condition for front end knock, clunk or clicking. Vehicles previously repaired as part of Campaign #09203A are to follow a different repair procedure as outlined under the Correction section below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk, knock or click noise from the front suspension over small bumps.

Cause
The rubber "boot" over the front end lower control arm ball joint may have become dislodged or torn compromising the seal. Moisture inside the ball joint seal may cause corrosion, shortening the service life of the component.

Correction
Notice: Before replacing any components under the terms of this bulletin, you must confirm the past service history of the vehicle. Please use GMVIS to confirm if the vehicle was previously repaired under Customer Satisfaction Campaign #09203A. If the vehicle was repaired under this service action, ONLY replace the front control arm found to be the source of the noise and claim the applicable Labor Operation for that part as outlined in SI and the labor time guide.

Vehicles not identified in Customer Satisfaction Campaign #09203A (or not repaired during its duration) and found to have one or more of the rubber boots improperly sealing should have all four front control arms replaced.

Front Lower Control and Caster Arm Replacement (Both Sides)
The instructions below detail replacement of all four front lower control and caster arms.

Danger: To avoid any vehicle damage, serious personal injury or death when major components are removed from the vehicle and the vehicle is supported by a hoist, support the vehicle with jack stands at the opposite end from which the components are being removed and strap the vehicle to the hoist.

•Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
•Remove the front wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in SI.

•Loosen the control arm to steering knuckle retaining nut (1) about two turns.

•Using the J-42188-B Ball Joint Separator (1), disconnect the control arm (2) from the steering knuckle (3).

•Remove the control arm to steering knuckle retaining nut (1).
•Separate the control arm (2) from the steering knuckle (3).
•Remove the control arm to subframe retaining bolt.

•Remove and discard the front control arm (3) from the subframe (2).
•Install the NEW front control arm (3) to the subframe (2).
Warning: The existing control arm bolts and nuts may be reused for this procedure. You MUST remove all traces of the original adhesive patch on the bolt. Clean the threads of the bolt with denatured alcohol, GM Low VOC Brake Cleaner GM P/N 12378392 or equivalent, and allow to dry. Before Installation, apply threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (in Canada, use 10953488) or blue, medium LOCTITE™ 242.

Note: The NEW front control arm to subframe retaining bolt (1) must not be fully tightened at this stage.

•Install the NEW front control arm to subframe retaining bolt (1).
•Install the NEW control to the steering knuckle.

•Install the NEW front control arm (1) to steering knuckle retaining nut (2).
Important: Use the J 45059 Torque / Angle Tool when tightening the following:

Tighten

• First Pass: Tighten the nut to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

• Final Pass: Tighten the nut an additional 60 degrees.

•Loosen the caster arm to steering knuckle retaining nut (1) about two turns.

•Using the J-42188-B Ball Joint Separator (3), disconnect the caster arm (1) from the steering knuckle (2).

•Remove the caster arm to steering knuckle retaining nut (3). Mark keyway slot on the bushing relative to the cradle.
•Separate the caster arm (1) from the steering knuckle (2).
•Remove the caster arm to subframe retaining bolt.

•Remove and discard the caster arm from the subframe .
•Install the NEW caster arm to the subframe. Line up the keyway slot on the bushing to previous mark on the cradle.
•Install the front caster arm to the subframe retaining bolt.
•Install the new front caster arm to the steering knuckle.

Note: The caster arm to subframe retaining bolt is not to be fully tightened at this stage.

•Install the NEW caster arm (1) to the steering knuckle (2) retaining nut.
Important: Use the J 45059 Torque / Angle Tool when tightening the following

Tighten

• First Pass: Tighten the nut to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

• Final Pass: Tighten the nut an additional 60 degrees.

•Repeat Steps 3-20 for the other side of the vehicle then continue below.
•Install the front wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in SI.
•Lower the vehicle.
•Bounce the vehicle several times to settle the suspension.
•Check and adjust the wheel alignment. Refer to Front End Alignment in SI.
•Tighten the NEW control arm to subframe retaining bolt.

Tighten

• First Pass: Tighten the bolts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

• Final Pass: Tighten the bolts an additional 120 degrees.

•Tighten the NEW caster arm to subframe retaining bolt.

Tighten

• First Pass: Tighten the bolts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

• Final Pass: Tighten the bolts an additional 120 degrees.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Arm Asm -- Frt Lwr Control Frt Right

Arm Asm -- Frt Lwr Control Frt Left

Arm Asm -- Frt Lwr Control (Caster) Right

Arm Asm -- Frt Lwr Control (Caster) Left

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E9505*
Replace Front Lower Control & Caster Arms (Both Sides) - Perform Wheel Alignment
2.6 hrs

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Note: If the vehicle was previously repaired under Campaign 09203A, ONLY replace the front control arm found to be the source of the noise and claim the applicable Labor Operation for that part as outlined in SI and the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

polo
10-09-2009, 07:08 AM
wow, and it says that all four front control arms should be replaced. Hope they plan on getting these in stock.

zosoboogie
10-09-2009, 07:09 AM
is this a recall?? because my car has this problem as well!!

WickedMom
10-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Not a recall... just a technical service bulletin... but we have mostly all been waiting for it.

This confirms the problem and give the technicians the information to fix them right.

Chewy
10-09-2009, 07:15 AM
There's only 2 control arms which run perpendicular to the car from the spindles in and then there are two radius rods/caster arms which run forward and in from the spindle assembly...

They all control something so calling them control arms is good for me...

I have a brand new radius rod assembly in my trunk. This weekend I am pressing the stock POS bushing out and installing the Pedders part.

I plan to get a hold of Greg and see if I can buy this BJ kit to replace the boots with the new thinner ones. Looks stupid easy.

Chris

SRG963
10-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Not a recall... just a technical service bulletin... but we have mostly all been waiting for it.

This confirms the problem and give the technicians the information to fix them right.

This!

Thanks for posting!

nonexistent
10-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the info WickedMom!

Now question is... the parts for the left are already on order by the dealer (Left side LCA and Caster Arm). Would they replace the right side too if I mention this bulletin, because it says something about only replace the part making sounds in that bulletin you posted.

I really don't want there to be uneven wear or usage between both arms (left or right). In this case my right side got replaced a couple of months back but used the old P/Ns, the left one now uses the new P/Ns. Please explain.

GeoffA
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
the dealer I'm at now told me they didn't want to re-use the one time only nuts... now GM is saying clean them add some loctite and your good to go...???

DHmotorsports08
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
they wont fix my car

-Ray-
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
they wont fix my car

ok, why?

jnak
10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
It's not the procedure I need, it's the parts!

WickedMom
10-13-2009, 07:48 PM
If it helps any, my own service manager is giving me crap about doing this on my own car.

I am seriously thinking about taking it to the competing dealership in the next town, because if they will take care of GPDan's car, they will take care of mine.... This is seriously sad. Once I figure out how to get this approve by my service manager then it should fly by any... god he is being a prick.... told me "that you are worse than a corvette owner". I almost quit my job that exact moment!

GXPaycheck
10-14-2009, 06:38 AM
.... "that you are worse than a corvette owner".

I would take that as a compliment. It means you care about your car!

danf1000
10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
he don't like you.

and neither do I.

Panzer Leader
10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
If it helps any, my own service manager is giving me crap about doing this on my own car.

I am seriously thinking about taking it to the competing dealership in the next town, because if they will take care of GPDan's car, they will take care of mine.... This is seriously sad. Once I figure out how to get this approve by my service manager then it should fly by any... god he is being a prick.... told me "that you are worse than a corvette owner". I almost quit my job that exact moment!

Please say it isn't true. What difference what car you bought, it is covered by the warranty. Obviously, he got away with that remark because you work there. Would love to be a fly on the wall, when and if he tells someone else that crap.

snowmunky
10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Ummm..

I had this done on my G8 almost 2 months ago because my suspension was making creaking/popping/clunking noises..

They replaced both driver/passenger LCA's and strut mounts from what I recall...

Since this is obviously now a known, widespread issue... how long can I expect my LCAs/balljoints to last until I have to do this again?!?

Tempest2000
10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I was told my car is not within the vin range although it is... but that b/c I didn't receive a notification by mail yet that I don't qualify to have the work done.

jzpiano
10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Copied over from other forum.

10/12/09 I took my car in today and only after I get they do they tell me that even though my car falls within the correct VIN number that my car is not eligible since I haven't been sent a letter. She said that they might send one later and I would have to do it then because they can't do any prementive work. I then told the woman that is was making the clicking noise that is related to this problem and she said "Well I can take it for that". So I left the car with them 2 hours ago and haven't heard anything. I'm hoping she understood where I was getting at and is on the same page. I'll update later

10/12/09 UPDATE: They looked at it for the clicking noise and found that they the control arms are all shot and are going to replace them. The only problem is they didn't have the parts in stock, even though they told me they did. It is going to be at least a week for them and my car is too dangerous too drive, so I got a rental from Enterprise for awhile. Base model Chevy Impala, whoopie.....I might call and see if they can do better though.

10/14/09 UPDATE: Good news. I'm back driving my car. They did some major work and somehow managed to get the parts in this morning (don't know how they managed that). Something about robbing Peter to pay Paul, and I was Paul. They got a guy on it and I got my car back this evening. They put in 4 new control arms. I even got some inside info on the dealership that they will no longer be a Pontiac, but a Buick so they will have those as rentals and won't have to go over to the enterprise. I also got a free detailing on the car in the future which was a nice gesture for my trouble.

When I was looking over the car she kept telling me you won't find anything since we know how you g8 owners are. She said only certain types of people bought a g8 and we take extra care with them since we know that you guys are car people and it's not just your transportation. Made my day to hear that and yep, not a scratch on her. On the way home I noticed a difference. Everything in the car felt much better.

Only problem was when I got into the car and went to leave the dealership I pushed the pedal down a little to far since I was used to the rental and squealed outta there. Left me looking like this

FYI, mine only has 3500 miles on it so mileage doesn't matter. Get it in if you can and have it done.

WickedMom
10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
he don't like you.

and neither do I.
who the hell are you and why do I care?

Please say it isn't true. What difference what car you bought, it is covered by the warranty. Obviously, he got away with that remark because you work there. Would love to be a fly on the wall, when and if he tells someone else that crap.
Yup, it is true. Because I can't afford to lose my job I will just take it to another place and hope they don't find out right away.

Ummm..

I had this done on my G8 almost 2 months ago because my suspension was making creaking/popping/clunking noises..

They replaced both driver/passenger LCA's and strut mounts from what I recall...

Since this is obviously now a known, widespread issue... how long can I expect my LCAs/balljoints to last until I have to do this again?!?
I would have it inspected because the bulletin includes more than just the LCA and the strut mounts have nothing to do with this issue.

I was told my car is not within the vin range although it is... but that b/c I didn't receive a notification by mail yet that I don't qualify to have the work done.
Give them this bulletin #, it does not require a letter and is a bit more involved than the recall is.

SRG963
10-15-2009, 03:39 AM
When I was looking over the car she kept telling me you won't find anything since we know how you g8 owners are. She said only certain types of people bought a g8 and we take extra care with them since we know that you guys are car people and it's not just your transportation. Made my day to hear that and yep, not a scratch on her. On the way home I noticed a difference. Everything in the car felt much better.

This comment restores some of my confidence with GM service departments :)
I still check my car over regardless, lol.

Tempest2000
10-15-2009, 04:42 AM
wickedmom I gave them the bulletin# and a print out... they are blaming it on my tires this is the second go round. This time I told them I will buy a full set of tires from them even though these are brand new and I had the fronts replaced once already... BUT if I buy it from them and they mount and balance and it doesn't fix the issue they will refund my money and swap my tires back. AND fix the issue in the bulletin... Service manager hasn't gotten back to me. I can't imagine why LOL

I don't like to play games with dealers its stupid we pay a LOT for our cars and its not too much to ask that they drive like they are supposed to this isn't a kia spectra...

zosoboogie
10-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I suppose that this is covered under the warranty how much would it be if you were to pay for it? Then later if a recall comes out demand a refund!!!

Chewy
10-19-2009, 07:03 AM
I was told today by GM that the new CA bulletin is 09-203B

NYG8GT
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Google didnt bring up anything under that number. Interesting. I wonder if WickedMom has anything to add.

kidhauler
10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Got the letter. Took it in yesterday for the "boot" replacement. It turns out that my drivers side rear LCA ball joint is toast. They wouldn't let me drive it home. Don't know when the parts will be in. I hope to hear back from him today.

So now when I look out in the parking lot I see a shiny new Chevy Cobalt where my '09 PBM G8 used to sit. God what a POS.

-Dennis-

WickedMom
10-20-2009, 05:29 PM
I was told today by GM that the new CA bulletin is 09-203B

This is just an update to the original bulletin about the ball joint boots in cold weather... they changed the tool requirement.

#09203B: Customer Satisfaction - Front Suspension Clicking/Knocking - (Oct 9, 2009)
Subject: 09203B -- Front Suspension Clicking/Knocking

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

The tool section in this bulletin has been revised. If the E7115 angle wrench is not available, special tool J 45059 may be used. Please discard all copies of bulletin 09203A, issued September 2009.

nonexistent
10-21-2009, 07:17 PM
So if they changed the tool requirement for the customer satisfaction campaign, that doesn't affect your TSB right? Because the campaign says to add boots to seal up the lubricant inside the ball joint. But the TSB is saying to replace all 4 control arms. I'm guessing the control arms in the TSB won't need the boot sealing kit?

WickedMom
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Notice: Before replacing any components under the terms of this bulletin, you must confirm the past service history of the vehicle. Please use GMVIS to confirm if the vehicle was previously repaired under Customer Satisfaction Campaign #09203A. If the vehicle was repaired under this service action, ONLY replace the front control arm found to be the source of the noise and claim the applicable Labor Operation for that part as outlined in SI and the labor time guide.

Vehicles not identified in Customer Satisfaction Campaign #09203A (or not repaired during its duration) and found to have one or more of the rubber boots improperly sealing should have all four front control arms replaced.

I told people to wait for this bulletin and not rush in looking for the boots...

zosoboogie
11-03-2009, 05:53 AM
With this bulletin does anyone's steering wheel shake under braking?

Chewy
11-03-2009, 05:58 AM

When the lowers get bad you can jack the car up and turn the front wheel (with it locked) back and forth a considerable amount. This could cause what you're feeling. However I never felt that. It would shimmy like a banshee if I hit a bump in a sweeper though.

It's as tight as a drum now.:)
Chris

jnak
11-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Yes. It feels like the front passenger tire is wobbling under hard braking.

zosoboogie
11-03-2009, 06:09 PM
what about the steering wheel shaking??

NYG8GT
11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, as he said, it feels like the tire/s is/are wobbling under braking. I had this exact symptom when my bj's went bad. If they get bad enough, you'll definitely shaking under braking.

Scott McDonald
11-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I told people to wait for this bulletin and not rush in looking for the boots...

WickedMom - Just need a little more clarification - when you said don't rush in looking for the boots is it because of a parts shortage? I'm just asking since mine is at the dealership now for this TSB and that pesky whining noise between 69-76mph and the vibration you feel in the seat and steering wheel that comes and goes in that speed range too. I took it in for the TSB hoping to prevent the bad things that happen when contaminents get into the ball joint.

zosoboogie
11-04-2009, 06:10 PM
because My dealer refused to fix it!! So what to DO?

jnak
11-04-2009, 06:20 PM
what about the steering wheel shaking??

Yeah my steering wheel shakes. Take your dealer's service manager for a ride and show him/her what happens.

beach
11-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm getting more and more shakes that seem centered on the front end, but still can vary quite a bit, and a ride that continues to grow starchier and starchier up front with some odd steering sensations...just not a settled car, as it was not long ago. Who knows if it's control arms, BJ's or not, no campaign in Delaware yet and otherwise it'd be worthless to even try describing such symptoms to my local dealer who sees maybe 2 of these a year for an oil change.

Possibly a trip to my Jersey dealer for a check up, some day, and continued watching of the mail and GM Owner Center online for something so the what/where/how is already known...if that's what it is.

616 of 933
11-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I can not find what the VIN numbers are for the TSB. Can anyone help. I only have 1400 miles but i will go to the dealer and ask what will happen after 1 Dec.

G8H8
11-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Okay folks, update on my situation. Took my 8 in to the dealer over 3 weeks ago for clunking noise coming from passenger side front and steering wheel shake under hard braking.

Folks, GM knows theres a problem. It took weeks due to back order, but GM sent all 4 front control arms for replacement under warranty.

My car goes in next Tuesday for replacement and realignment.

zosoboogie
11-06-2009, 10:02 PM
so how long do I have to wait before your dealer talks to my dealer? Man it sucks to be a dealer!

G8H8
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
so how long do I have to wait before your dealer talks to my dealer? Man it sucks to be a dealer!

I contacted my GM representative thru On-Star. Seemed to help alot. The dealer just told me that no parts were available. When I called GM, suddenly parts were ordered.

Give that a try.

zosoboogie
11-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I contacted my GM representative thru On-Star. Seemed to help alot. The dealer just told me that no parts were available. When I called GM, suddenly parts were ordered.

Give that a try.

i better write that down in my blueberry

jimmyban
11-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Repeating what I posted in the other thread yesterday:

Just got mine back fixed yesterday and "tested" it today. I waited about a month for parts but drove the car the whole time. Some observations:

1-Those of you from the "other" board might remember that mine was the first "memory steer" G8 in the system. The issue required replacement of collapsed strut bushings. Although the car drove straight for the past 1.5 years, it always seemed to wander a little depending on road conditions. It is straight as an arrow now!

2-The slight "shimmy" between 50 to 60 is gone or imperceptible so far. Same tires, same inflation, etc. My conclusion is that this issue is contributing to the 50-to-60 shimmy common to our cars.

3-Front end is much quieter and solid going over bumps. It's amazing what you get used to over time.

It will be interesting so see how long the parts hold up, but for now this is best my car has steered since I picked it up in March 08.

Also, I never received any notification via letter, OnStar, etc. I simply emailed the bulletin to my dealer and they made the rest happen.

Got 8?
11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
What about those that are out of warranty already ??? How much cash are we going to drop doing this and should I just take it to a Pedders dealer for an upgrade???

Sorry if this has been asked already but I've been off the board for awhile...

GeoffA
11-08-2009, 05:35 PM
What about those that are out of warranty already ??? How much cash are we going to drop doing this and should I just take it to a Pedders dealer for an upgrade???

Sorry if this has been asked already but I've been off the board for awhile...

How are you out of the warranty already? Mods?

Horn09
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I would guess mileage.

GeoffA
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
I would guess mileage.

It's an '09. if he put over 30,000 in a year, thats a lot of driving.

Got 8?
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Yep...I'm at 43,xxx miles. Bought it last July was the first off the truck at my dealership. Car is completely stock down to the paper air filter.

GeoffA
11-08-2009, 09:10 PM
:surprise:

Yep...I'm at 43,xxx miles. Bought it last July was the first off the truck at my dealership. Car is completely stock down to the paper air filter.

Wow you sure drive alot

Got 8?
11-08-2009, 09:17 PM
:surprise:

Wow you sure drive alot

:) Yep sometimes 1K a week every other week. Would have more but I was down with back surgery earlier this year and was out for 2 months...

zepcom
11-09-2009, 06:10 AM
I thought that TSB's were similar to recalls and they would be handled as a "bug" that could be fixed even if the 3/36 was out?

I know my older car a Grand Prix had a TSB on the cat converter and I was way outta warrantee and actually still had the work done for free. Don't know if this is similar, perhaps WickedMom could comment.

--zepcom

roSSco
11-09-2009, 06:29 AM

I have noticed this lately but suspected warped rotors. I guess I need to look at the control arm bushings!

WickedMom
11-09-2009, 06:36 AM
I thought that TSB's were similar to recalls and they would be handled as a "bug" that could be fixed even if the 3/36 was out?

I know my older car a Grand Prix had a TSB on the cat converter and I was way outta warrantee and actually still had the work done for free. Don't know if this is similar, perhaps WickedMom could comment.

--zepcom

TSBs are not recalls at all. They are simply information to help diagnose problems. BUT, with that said sometimes certain service managers will 'goodwill' the repair because of a TSB. Its all up to your service manager.

Cat Converters have a minimum of a 8 year 80k mile warranty, some cars have longer. That is a special policy warranty or emissions warranty and not a TSB

majesticix
11-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Yup...my buddies '02 Camaro had his cat replaced by the dealer for free, and he has 100k+ miles...

Got 8?
11-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Yep emissions are federally influenced and have a longer warranty TSB's are NOT recalls...But if it is a safety issue then it may turn into a recall...

Ktlplxm
11-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know of a good "mod friendly" dealer in the SC/NC area? I just developed the "clunk" but have feeling it will be blamed on the springs or shocks.

jnak
11-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Can anyone who works at a dealership provide some insight into the availability of LCA parts? I just talked to the service idiot at my dealer and he told me, for the third time, "as soon as one is available in North America, it's coming here to be put in your car". Which is complete bullshit because I can see in this thread that others have waited less time for their parts.

It's now been 93 days since I took my car in for this.

jnak
11-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Never mind, the guy just phoned me and supposedly they are getting one on Monday.

About time!

-Ray-
11-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Good luck James.

jnak
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
:woohoo: parts are on the car, no more clunk! Hope it stays this way. They re-replaced the driver side LCAs too.

BigV8
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
:woohoo: parts are on the car, no more clunk! Hope it stays this way. They re-replaced the driver side LCAs too.
How many miles did you have on your car? Glad you got it fixed.

jnak
12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I had about 25,000 km when the passenger side started and there are about 32,000 km now (15,625 and 20,000 miles).

The driver side originally went in the spring - probably around 18-20,000 km.

Got 8?
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey WickedMom...

How much would this be out of warranty??? I have 45K on mine and I didn't get the extended warranty. I just got out of the dealer this morning and spent 300 bucks on a rubber boot on the intake and a door locking mechanism that went nuts that decided to open all the doors on the car but mine...

zosoboogie
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
what is a LCA?

beach
12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
what is a LCA?

Lower Control Arm;)

WickedMom
12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey WickedMom...

How much would this be out of warranty??? I have 45K on mine and I didn't get the extended warranty. I just got out of the dealer this morning and spent 300 bucks on a rubber boot on the intake and a door locking mechanism that went nuts that decided to open all the doors on the car but mine...

hmmm... I havent even thought of looking it up. I will look it up tomorrow. Price for all 4? I would think if you have the problem, any good service manager would 'goodwill' this repair for you.

Adjusted35
12-30-2009, 08:43 PM
they wont fix my car

I was having difficulty with my GM dealer reference the most recent TSB regarding the 4 front control arms.

Being that it's still the holiday season, I visited the wine shop up the road, and came back to the dealer later the same day..all smiles and holiday cheer (faked!), and asked the service manager again, if he could PLEASE help a guy out, since GM would pay for the warranty time and the parts.

It also helped to get the shop foreman on your side by giving him beer, wine, or a gift cardl

These are the decision-makers who will decide whether, and how well to work on your G8!

I got lucky. Parts are now on order, and they're calling me "Sir". Guess they liked the wine! :woohoo:

Adjusted35
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Not to be a killjoy, but century pontiac buick in tampa ***sucks****
i was told they'd ordered the parts, then got a call back telling me "your car is fine".
Then took car back to service and demanded they do something about the front-end clunk and the drivetrain boom/shudder.

Service manager admitted he heard it, but gave me the "classic".."the all do it".

So, they paid for a rental for three days (go, team), but did essentially nothing...and refused to perform the necessary steps on the tsb. Gave b.s. Excuses from "it will tie-up my shop foreman for a week", to "we don't have the right roads around here".

I'm pissed and ready to have kittens.

Is there someone on the board who can help a fellow g8 owner out and hook me up with someone in the tampa, fl area who knows wtf they are doing with our rides?

This is just freaking insane. Need help, need valium!!!

travis gore
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
I just had mine done today 3,269 miles. Did anyone have a squeaking sound in the front after? I wish I could have had them put some bmr or pedders bushing in while it was apart.

majesticix
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
I just had mine done as well (replaced all 4 control arms, as required by the bulletin so I was told). No problems what so ever with the dealer, other than waiting for parts. No squeaks or anything. Car rides beautifully now.

vic2186
01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
My front LCD is done so is the shock strut..NYC potholes any one recommnded a good dealer around the area?? I got 11k miles and the extended warranty

vic2186
01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm in NYC

jayj
07-06-2013, 03:44 AM
I ordered the set of 4 LCAs from Greg. Lots of good info in this thread, but it mostly pertains to getting the Dealer to do the work. Has anyone attempted this repair on their own, and if so, were you able to accomplish it without the special tools that were listed in Wicked Mom's post?

Thanks,

JayJ

SpeedRacerX
07-07-2013, 04:51 PM
PM "Monty" - I think he did 1 or 2 of his own and had a nice tool to pop the ball joint out.

jayj
07-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks SpeedRacerX: I did send Monty a PM; looks like this is pretty straightforward and easy to do with the proper tools. Will post after accomplished...

JayJ

toedrag
07-15-2013, 04:08 AM
I have yet to do the LCA replacement on my GXP, but a tool like this ball joint separator has worked for me in the past w/ball joints on other cars:

From http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html

If the boot of the ball joint is already torn or if you don't care if you tear it, you could use a pickle-fork; it's a bit more brutal than the separator above.

Auto parts store probably has these for loan/rent too.

jayj
07-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Thanks toedrag: Due to time constraints and too many projects (like getting the wife's Turbo Buick running) I decided to take Greg's kit to a local shop. Said they would do it for $85/side. I do appreciate your input though, and will probably pick up that separator from HF!

Jay J

jayj
07-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Here is the latest: I took the car to a local shop; they installed Gregs' Lower Control Arm Kit. The car is once more a joy to drive. As someone previously posted, it is amazing what you can get used to/put up with when it happens over time. Thanks to Wicked Mom, Greg, SpeedRacerX, Monty and toedrag for their info and encouragement!

Jay J