PDA

View Full Version : Think before tuning!!

fredl11
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
This just happened to a C6 owner

"Well fellow and gal vette owners.

Original story:
"My first and only new car which I personally ordered and waited for three months to be delivered has a blown engine. I have not been to a HPDE in over a year and a half. Only used for weekends and take girl out to dinner. 30K mi.
Car stared making metallic knock and missing real bad.
Chevy dealer has motor apart and tell me a lifter came apart and pieces of metal in oil. Chevy rep. wants motor removed and torn down and cam removed for further inspection. Not good.
This outcome will be sure interesting. "

GM has voided my warranty, (just like some of you said they would).
The dealer was wrong, Just left meeting with dealer service manager and service tech. I am all alone on this repair, needs new engine.
And I am responsible for cost of the tear down work to get to this dissapointing outcome.
GM product quality control requested a shap shot of the ECC, and of course there was the evidence of altered factory set points. GM rep sent me the bulletin of May 18, 09. which states. "Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at the time of sale...." So my friends, and tuners beware.
-Tuners should advise customers that have factory warranty that performance tuning will VOID their warranty!
-If you have performance tune, and want drive train warranty work, have you car flshed back to factory specs. before you show dealer and GM you car.
Just burns my a$$ that I drove to this meeting in my 11 year old Ford F-150 with 230,578 hard driven, boat and horse hauling miles on it. And all I've done beside normal service was 1 serpantine belt and 1 O2 sensor. And my custom ordered vette with just 31k miles fell apart"

:poof:

GeorgeInNePa
10-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd spent time and money just to make GM spend money on this.

A lifter came apart, the tune had nothing to do with it.

GRRRR8
10-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Exactly! That is why GM failed. CHICKENSHIT! I am pretty damn sure I will never buy a new GM car again.....but I might get another turbo Buick.

Cobra
10-10-2009, 03:21 PM
So if they are able to see a change in the ECM would that also be true if you had a stock tune on a different ECM? Is it possible they have some type of timer on the ECM which coincides with mileage?

polo
10-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Well here's to hoping these GM engines and trannys are built to last, or else there's going to be a TON of unhappy/pissed/broke people out there. Not just the G8 owners either...

polo
10-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Oh, and you know what pisses me off is the stock tranny tune on this car is absolutely HORRIBLE. My car was dangerous to drive with the stock tune, because he hesitated way too much, and took too long to think about what gear to shift to. Even the service manager at my dealership that took test drive with me said "If we can't get this tune straightened out, I don't blame you for getting an aftermarket tune. If it were my car, I'd do the same."

If they would have made the tranny tune better, I wouldn't even think about getting a tune. Their bad tune practically forced me to go out and seek an aftermarket tune.

It's almost like they did it on purpose. "Hey, let's make these tunes shitty from the factory, and then everyone will go out and get aftermarket tunes, and then we can deny their warranty claims." Great way to save some money in the short term, but it's going to put GM in the ground in the long run. SCREW YOU GM.

-Ray-
10-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Exactly! That is why GM failed. CHICKENSHIT! I am pretty damn sure I will never buy a new GM car again.....but I might get another turbo Buick.

Put down the crack pipe. :nah:

Black_Ice
10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
his means that, under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

if the dealer just lifted the hood, saw the modifications, and stated that the warranty was void based on what they saw (without verifying that the failure was due to the aftermarket installation), the dealer would be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The cause of the failure must be searched out and proven in order for the carmaker to void a warranty.

johnbell2
10-11-2009, 05:10 PM

This is proof that GM is dumber than a sack of rocks. Trying to punk out on a warranty claim for an Aveo or what not is one thing, but goddammit this is a Corvette we're talking about. We're talking flagship brand here. It's a sports car designed to rev high and haul ass while taking the stresses that go with that. The parts are supposed to come with the engineering tolerances to handle the abuse. Having a lifter come apart at 31k in *any* Corvette shipped engine is absolutely intolerable in my eyes. I don't know what kind of tune/boost this poor soul was running but I would think it'd have to be damn aggressive to eat a lifter so early in the game. The real call to make here is *defective part from factory* and getting the unfortunate Corvette owner back on the road no matter what it takes.

Corvette owner demographics are guys in their peak earning years between 40-60 years of age with much higher than average holding college degrees. Word will get around on this bone-headed move (as it has here already) and "the new GM" is going to find itself short a great many future 'vette and Caddy owners. If I were that guy I'd throw it on a trailer and park the sunovabitch right in front of the main entry at Bowling Green, leave the keys in it and put a sign on it saying "Have you driven a Ford, lately". I'd invite the local news while I was at it.

This "we'll void your warranty if we find your car's ECM tuned a gnat's fart out of spec" bullshit is just that - bullshit. Stand behind your product, GM, especially your Corvette brand. People pay extra for it, they expect extra.

Chewy
10-12-2009, 05:22 AM

You and me... Same page!

BigRed585Lbs
10-12-2009, 06:17 AM
They will do ANYTHING to get by right now. Change your name to something chinese, buy a buick, and sit back and enjoy the anglos pooping their panties as USA1 slips it in. Don't say I didn't tell you. They're cooking frogs in cold water.

r33pwrd
10-12-2009, 07:39 AM

Could a lifter had failed to to a higher rev limiter (not sure if his rev limiter is higher than stoc?)

JoshHefnerX
10-12-2009, 09:17 AM
May be time for a lawyer.

Josh

Panzer Leader
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
"Warranty, we don't have to honor no stinkin warranty."

Trifollower
10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
True each persons case should be treated unique and not grouped with the masses. But......

http://teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3058#Post3058

draven
10-14-2009, 07:35 AM
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm