PDA

View Full Version : Lighting (not lightning) for my feet

kje141
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
So I have exhausted myself searching for this, might be searching the wrong key words, but I figure making a new post will get me the answer I am looking for even if it includes the link to where it is.

I am looking to take the LED strips that Penguin used on his headlights and put them on my interior to light up the areas where your feet are (foot wells) IDK what they are called. Basically want it to turn on with the rest of the interior lights.

So my question is, with me being completely clueless how to find the correct wires that I need, where I tap into the wiring so they run the same as the interior lights (i.e. when I push the button next to the dome light to turn the dome light on, these lights will come on). Should I try to follow the wiring from fuse for interior lights from the fuse box?

TomPierce
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
From the Service manual

The dome lamps, may be manually turned ON or OFF by placing the interior lamp switch in the ON or OFF position. If an outside door handle is lifted and a door is opened, the dome lamps illuminate. After all the doors have been closed the dome lamps will remain illuminated approximately 15 seconds. The body control module (BCM) will then turn them OFF through the theater dimming feature. The dome lamps will also turn ON prior to any door being opened, and remain illuminated approximately 40 seconds when the driver removes the ignition key. When the driver places the dome lamp defeat switch in the OFF position, the dome lamps will be disabled.

The BCM, the door switches communicate through the GMLAN serial data circuit for the lamp illumination commands of the doors and luggage compartment open/ajar switch signals. For all vehicles, the left and right rear door latch switches are both on one circuit that is also an input to the BCM.

The dome lamps are controlled and receive voltage from the BCM. Voltage for the dome lamp supply voltage circuit is from the INT LTS fuse in the instrument panel fuse block.

I believe that this means that the switches that turn on the dome lamps are not actually connected to the dome lamps. instead, the switches tell the Body Control Module that the dome lamps should be ON or OFF, and the BCM turns the lamps on directly.

The short answer is you need to pick up the voltage at the dome lamp supply after the BCM for your new lamps.

I have not tried any of this, just what I gather from the manual.

Someone who has actually done this probably has a better answer.

J Wikoff
10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Looks like you should pick up the wire attached to the "downstream" side of the INT LTS fuse for your voltage and all is good.

TomPierce
10-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Looks like you should pick up the wire attached to the "downstream" side of the INT LTS fuse for your voltage and all is good.

I disagree. This fuse is probably 'hot' at all times feeding the BCM.

Here is BCM connector X1 diagram and pinout. Still might be easiest to pick this up at the domelight, though.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3777&stc=1&d=1255028730

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3776&stc=1&d=1255028730

kje141
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Hmm, didn't think it would be this hard. Could I buy a voltage reader and poke around while I turn the lights on and off? If I did it from up near the dome light I would have to buy extra wire, any specific wire I would need to buy?

Could of sworn I saw pictures of this done in someones car already in red. Anyone?

J Wikoff
10-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I disagree. This fuse is probably 'hot' at all times feeding the BCM.

Here is BCM connector X1 diagram and pinout. Still might be easiest to pick this up at the domelight, though.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3777&stc=1&d=1255028730

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3776&stc=1&d=1255028730

Ah, ok. I read that part wrong. So you gotta find the interior light voltage output from the BCM, right?

TomPierce
10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
J Wikoff - yes, I think you are right. (I still believe it would probably be easiest to do at the dome light itself.)

KJE141 - I think the guy who did the red LEDs ran a separate power wire and switch - the way you are attempting to do it is much cleaner and much more difficult, as well.

(Doing it your way gets you extra points on the cool meter, though :) )

Here is the Dome lamp Connector
http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3779&stc=1&d=1255032850
http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3780&stc=1&d=1255032850

J Wikoff
10-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, interior lamp signal and courtesy lamp signal... are those both from the BCM or is one from the switch on the overhead console?

TomPierce
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I assume that one is the 'turn the lamps on now' switch signal and the other is the 'don't turn the lamps on even if the door is open' switch signal - both are likely signals TO the BCM.

And the BCM responds by putting 12 volts on the Courtesy Lamp Supply depending upon the Door Ajar signal and / or the Remote Unlock signal and pretty soon it gets too complicated to figure out without a computer :)

kje141
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm guessing I would tap into #4 for the voltage? Can I tap two wires into that? This is all 12 volt right? Sorry I have no clue I probabaly shouldn't be getting into this.

TrUcKeR
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
If you used a very small number of LED's, like the 1.2" 3-LED flexi's offered by Oznium, I would imagine you'd be safe, as the draw would be friggin minuscule. Especially if you swapped all the dome bulbs to LED's to lower the draw to the existing lights.

kje141
10-09-2009, 04:11 AM
If you used a very small number of LED's, like the 1.2" 3-LED flexi's offered by Oznium, I would imagine you'd be safe, as the draw would be friggin minuscule. Especially if you swapped all the dome bulbs to LED's to lower the draw to the existing lights.

Dome lights are already LED bulbs, just want to get some light down the feet and hoping to match the color of the LEDs in the dome lamps.

TrUcKeR
10-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I just ordered (6) 2.4" flexi strips (6 LED's in each) from Oznium. I am going to put 2 in the trunk wired to the trunk light, then will remove the OEM trunk bulb, 1 under each front seat, and one under each side of the under-dash.

I'm just going to pigtail the interior ones to a 12v plug with a switch on it so I can plug it into my console socket. Easy, no real wiring involved.

Modhauler
10-11-2009, 05:50 AM
If you could trace which wire goes to the dome light and find where it goes, you may be able to tap into it around the dash area. I did that with my car but it was alot easier to remove the dash pieces and pillars. I had CC lights under the seats and LED strips along the back.