PDA

View Full Version : Is 3/4" too big...

JerzeyGT
10-08-2009, 07:28 AM
I just purchased a HSRK from Vector.. I performed a few test holes on a good piece of tuberware.. It is very similar to the plastic from the vararam..
I dont have a unibit so I believe this would be the next best thing.. After drilling may holes I found that the grommet fits in a 5/8 hole but I cant get the sensor in.. (yes I lubed it) the 3/4 hole fits the grommet and with a little bit of force I can get the sensor all of the way in... I tried searching the forum for install tips but never came accross any sizes... Does this seem ok?

Chewy
10-08-2009, 07:47 AM
I used a step drill and went to 3/4" and used the grommet. Some with the Vararam just shove it in the hole without a grommet. THAT would take a much smaller hole. I didn't like that fit so I used the grommet. Mount it in the snorkel.

Spit will suffice for lube. (Hey it works for both OK?) Sensors tend to not like oil...

-Ray-
10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
.625 is what I got on the grommet as well. I didn't have a drill bit that size so I used a file to enlarge the hole. I put the sensor in the grommet and then worked the grommet into the drilled hole.

mtolivecracker
10-08-2009, 09:30 AM
i think i used a 1/2 and then pressed it against the walls in a circular motion while drilling to wear the edges down. it worked great, but the hole sure is ugly wihtout the grommet in it, haha, but who cares, the grommet sits very tight, and the end product looks very clean.

fiveoh
10-08-2009, 09:35 AM
As long as its tight in the hole your good(thats what she said).

Panzer Leader
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I just had to see what this thread was about. When will I learn?