PDA

View Full Version : New Member, sayin Hi

draven
10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey everyone,

My name is Sean and I've been a lurker for a couple weeks here. Love the site!

I have an '09 GXP (6M, Mav Silver, no sunroof) and I'm starting to want to do some minor mods. I've read about people doing intakes, exhausts, and tunes and I was wondering if you all could shed some light on things you recommend to start off with.

Thanks in advance!

-Sean

polo
10-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Welcome! Where are you located?

Usually people go with a cold air intake and a tune as their first mods, because they really seem to wake these cars up. Do a search on anything you're interested in, and I'm sure you'll find more info than you can handle. :)

MANOFSTEEL69
10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome!
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

GRRRR8
10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Welcome!

kevinm0131
10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Welcome,
I concur, cold air intake and a tune! You will not be disappointed.

Kevin

draven
10-05-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm in Northern Virginia. I've seen a bunch of people talking about tunes, but I'm not sure around here who could do that. Also, what are the warranty implications with the tune?

polo
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure of a good tuner in your area, but I'm sure someone could recommend one. If you're not going to be doing lots of modding, you could go with a handheld tuner (Superchips Cortex), or with a remote tune from Livernois or Vector Motorsports.

The Cortex allows you to return the car to the stock tune before taking it to the dealership, and Vector offers a "stealth" tune when can't be detected by the GM. Livernois may offer a similar thing as well.

Legally, a dealership can't deny you any warranty repairs because of aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused the problem. As long as you're getting it tuned from a reputable shop, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Livernois Motorsports
10-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Weclome to the site! :woohoo:

If you're not going to be doing lots of modding, you could go with a handheld tuner (Superchips Cortex), or with a remote tune from Livernois or Vector Motorsports.

The Cortex allows you to return the car to the stock tune before taking it to the dealership, and Vector offers a "stealth" tune when can't be detected by the GM. Livernois may offer a similar thing as well.

As polo mentioned, with our tuner you can return the car back to stock before going to the dealer or we offer an undetectable option as well.

We have a lot of customers that start with a Rotofab CAI, Corsa Exhaust, and our tune. All of the products can be found on our site at www.livernoismotorsports.com.

Please let us know if you have any specific questions.

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

draven
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Rick. So, the CAI and tune is a good place to start? With Headers/Cat-back later?

Livernois Motorsports
10-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Rick. So, the CAI and tune is a good place to start? With Headers/Cat-back later?

The CAI/tune is a great place to start. If you do the headers and catback later, we can update the tune files at no charge.

You're looking at $899.99 + Shipping for the Rotofab and tuner. In addition to the power gains, you'll see great improvements in the shifting from our TCM tune as well.

Thank you

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

bracketracer
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey draven, welcome to the site! I just wanted to confirm the interior color you have in your GXP. I assume that it is all onyx, since you didn't mention otherwise. Is that correct? With that information, I can add you to the GXP Registry that I have been compiling. Enjoy a great car!

draven
10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey draven, welcome to the site! I just wanted to confirm the interior color you have in your GXP. I assume that it is all onyx, since you didn't mention otherwise. Is that correct? With that information, I can add you to the GXP Registry that I have been compiling. Enjoy a great car!

Onyx, no red. My only complaint about the car :(
Ahh well, only one in the area that I liked. All the ones with the red were either Auto or Black exterior, which I didn't want (I love it, but too hard to take care of).

Livernois Motorsports
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Onyx, no red. My only complaint about the car :(
Ahh well, only one in the area that I liked. All the ones with the red were either Auto or Black exterior, which I didn't want (I love it, but too hard to take care of).

I wish you were close to our shop. We have a black GXP with the red interior and would love to trade someone for all black interior.

-Rick

draven
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
you'll see great improvements in the shifting from our TCM tune as well.

Livernois Motorsports

Mine's a manual, does this apply? If so, please explain.

Livernois Motorsports
10-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Mine's a manual, does this apply? If so, please explain.

Sorry, I missed the M6 part in the original message. There is no TCM, but we do reduce the torque management (even the M6 has torque management) and get rid of the skip shift amongst other things.

-Rick

draven
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Rid of the skip-shift? Awesome!

Rick, do you have a link to the tuner you're talking about? I'd like more info.

Thanks!

Livernois Motorsports
10-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Rid of the skip-shift? Awesome!

Rick, do you have a link to the tuner you're talking about? I'd like more info.

Thanks!

It can be found here (http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1946) on our website. Typically, a stock M6 GXP makes around 370 RWHP on our dyno, then with a Rotofab and tune we see around 400-405 RWHP.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Rick

draven
10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm hearing from some people that with tunes like this, they have to be tailored with a trip to a local dyno for a tune, as well as adjusted when weather changes if the unit removes the stock ECM's flexibility.

Thoughts?

Livernois Motorsports
10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm hearing from some people that with tunes like this, they have to be tailored with a trip to a local dyno for a tune, as well as adjusted when weather changes if the unit removes the stock ECM's flexibility.

Thoughts?

The ECM still adjusts itself when the weather changes. We've tuned several cars with this device, then had customers come in for larger mods and when baslined on the dyno, the tune has always been spot on. You could always put it on a dyno to check a/f if you would like.

-Rick

draven
10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Awesome! Thanks again.

Can't wait to start.......

draven
10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Rick-

Just ordered my Roto-Fab. Put a bow on it for me ;)

-Sean

Livernois Motorsports
10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Rick-

Just ordered my Roto-Fab. Put a bow on it for me ;)

-Sean

Sean,

It shipped today. I had the guys put a plate frame and some decals in the box, sorry..... no bow :)

Thank you,

Rick

draven
10-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Sean,

It shipped today. I had the guys put a plate frame and some decals in the box, sorry..... no bow :)

Thank you,

Rick

hahahahaha
awesome, man! thanks.

draven
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
wow. One day to ship? That's friggin awesome!

I guess i know what I'll be doing for lunch......

Thanks Rick!

Livernois Motorsports
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
You got it already? Awesome!

No problem, please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you,

Rick