PDA

View Full Version : Front end shimmy?! HELP!

Skeezix
10-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I test drove a GXP manual today that I am thinking about buying. It's a real steal, becasue the owner has 2010 Camero SS envy. However, during the test drive, I noticed that when I took my foot off the gas and coasted before applying the brake, the steering wheel shook and shimmied back and fourth. The car has about 3500-4000 miles on it. I don't think this should be happening, should it?????? Any ideas as to why this might be happening? The owner said that at 3K miles he had the oil changd and an inspection done. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!!

-Ray-
10-05-2009, 02:14 AM
It's under warranty and fixable.

polo
10-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Don't let that keep you from buying it, especially if it's a good price. Like Ray said, it can be fixed.

Skeezix
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok...I'm not sure I want a car that has steering wheel wobble @ 3500 miles, but it has the sunroof and Tremec 6-speed manual and tinted windows. He'll take $32,000 for it. What do ya'll think?

foreosu
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM
32k? You would be crazy not to buy it.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
10-06-2009, 06:41 PM
It's the OEM tires that are causing that. I put new tires on mine and there's no wobble at all now. Goodyear Eagle GT's FTW!

Monty
10-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Buy it. Around me there is a black GXP with sunroof and 11,000 miles and the dealer is asking $42,000.

Skeezix
10-08-2009, 02:42 AM
It's the OEM tires that are causing that. I put new tires on mine and there's no wobble at all now. Goodyear Eagle GT's FTW!

Interesting about the tires. Would it hurt the car to drive it 300 miles or so before it's taken to the dealer for a fix? I liked the car, but it's hard to convince my wife that we should buy a car that has 3500 miles and is already having problems. Anyone 'feel' me on this one??:nah:

@ 4K miles will the vehicle be totally broken in (engine, brake, ect.)?

-Ray-
10-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Your are looking at a rare breed of vehicle. 36k mile bumper to bumper. 100k drivetrain. 6 months from now NO ONE will be getting a deal like this.
If it's private party sale ask the seller if he'll take the vehicle in prior to have the shimmy fixed.
If it's a dealer, don't take delivery before it's fixed. At any rate, it's a warranty item anyway.

Skeezix
10-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Do you guys think a new set of OEM tires will solve the issue, or will they need to be replaced by a different brand altogether. Also, what are your thought son parts availability, ect 5 years from now. At this point (early Oct. 2009) I don't think the G8 is coming back. The fact that the G8 was only made for 2 years and the GXP for 1, makes me scared to make the purchase.

Also, has anyone had 'spots' appear in their paint? The GXP I was looking at developed some 'spots' IN the paint and several body panels will have to be repainted by the dealer.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
10-09-2009, 10:35 AM
The shimmy might go away with another set of OEM tires, but it's a roll of the dice. I put Goodyear Eagle GT all season tires on my car and they are smooth up to 120 mph, and they perform well in all conditions, even snow and slush.

Holden is still making & selling a variant of the G8, so parts availability won't be a problem. Lately some parts have taken a week or more to get if they aren't in stock since they come from Australia, but by law they have to supply parts for up to 10 years.

Skeezix
10-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Ok, assuming the dealer put news Bridgestone's on and the problem persists, then what? Will they put a new set of differently branded tires on? Sorry I'm being picky, but I need to know these thigns prior to droipping a lot of money on a car that is basically brand new.

Monty
10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
The shimmy is a known problem with the G8s. It could either be caused from tires or out of balanced driveshaft which all can be fixed. In my case it was warped rotors. I replaced the rotors and it drives smooth as glass. As it's been said have the dealer fix it before you take delivery. Now in my opinion knowing how rare the GXP is and the low price it's worth buying. I bet you if you name the dealership and where the car is on this website it will be gone tomorrow that's how desirable this car is.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
It all depends how good are persuading people. One guy got the dealer to install some Michelin Pilots, which probably cost the same but are really good tires.

Skeezix
10-14-2009, 11:36 AM
The shimmy is a known problem with the G8s. It could either be caused from tires or out of balanced driveshaft which all can be fixed. In my case it was warped rotors. I replaced the rotors and it drives smooth as glass. As it's been said have the dealer fix it before you take delivery. Now in my opinion knowing how rare the GXP is and the low price it's worth buying. I bet you if you name the dealership and where the car is on this website it will be gone tomorrow that's how desirable this car is.

In addition to the shimmy and shake, the car has chemical paint spotting that will require a repaint of the hood, top of the car, and trunk. I know these cars are desirable, but repainting makes me think twice.

PS - My 2003 Lexus IS300 drives just fine and has never had a single problem...and it's paid for:hang:

egadd
10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
got a call from dealer today they have a recall on my 2009 G8 GT.
when i pick it up i took it on the highway and notice it had a vibration in the front end,and today they call me and said to bring it in. they needed to replace the ball joints...

chipman283
10-14-2009, 03:46 PM
My car has a case of the "shimmies". I think it's the OEM tires, it goes away after they warm up. I had my car three months and noticed some paint issues (clear coat peeling). It took the dealer two days to repaint mine (roof and trunk), but they had to take out the windshield and rear window to paint it properly.

BigV8
10-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Do you guys think a new set of OEM tires will solve the issue, or will they need to be replaced by a different brand altogether. Also, what are your thought son parts availability, ect 5 years from now. At this point (early Oct. 2009) I don't think the G8 is coming back. The fact that the G8 was only made for 2 years and the GXP for 1, makes me scared to make the purchase.

Also, has anyone had 'spots' appear in their paint? The GXP I was looking at developed some 'spots' IN the paint and several body panels will have to be repainted by the dealer.What color is the car? We know of the rail dust issue which can be taken out with out repainting but this chemical spots your talking about, dunno.

todds87ss
10-15-2009, 06:58 PM
From your comments, it sounds like you are not too "into" this car. I would avoid this purchase. Any problems that occur will likely cause a marital rift. My advice would be to keep the beloved Lexus IS300, and pass on the GXP.

Also, please provide the name/address of the dealer so that we can...ummm...provide feedback.
Thanks.

Devilish34
10-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Whats a Camero ?? :)

NYG8GT
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Keep the IS300 for sure dude. It may be slower and a bit smaller, but its a Toyota. Nothings gonna happen to that thing. I rented one down in FL and loved it, just couldnt find a nice used example for 20k when I was looking for a new car.

Skeezix
10-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still decideing about the GXP. However, if anyone is interested, my IS300 is for sale: 2003 Red outside black inside, 5 speed manual w/ Torsen limited slip. New tires, oil changed every 3K w/ Mobil1, tires rotated every 5K miles. EXCELLENT condition all over. Garaged kept and adult driven/owned. Clean title in hand. Asking $15,000. Let me know if you (or anyone you know) is interested. I live on the West side of Houston, TX.