PDA

View Full Version : GM to unveil new RWD police car

95_9C1
10-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Article HERE (http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/10/02/chevrolet-plans-to-unveil-rwd-police-car-monday-may-be-based-on-pontiac-g8/)

more HERE (http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/chevrolet-plans-unveil-rwd-police-car-monday-84703/)

and HERE (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/02/report-zeta-based-chevy-g8-police-car-to-be-unveiled-monday/)

TrUcKeR
10-03-2009, 09:35 AM
:facepalm:

schwartz
10-03-2009, 12:58 PM
:facepalm::wtf:

95_9C1
10-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Apparently, GM has something more to say...

another article HERE (http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-to-unveil-g8-based-police-car-monday.html)

from October 2, 2009:

General Motors will present its first rear-wheel-drive sedan police cruiser to American police on Monday (that's two days from now ;)) at the International Association of Chiefs of Police meeting in Denver, Colorado. The vehicle is expected to be based on the Australian-market Holden Commodore, sold through 2009 as the Pontiac G8 in the United States and Canada.

Several weeks ago, we brought to you news that GM confirmed it was planning to import a vehicle based on the rear-wheel-drive Zeta architecture for police outfits. Now, Automotive News says that the car will be unveiled on Monday.

The Zeta platform underpinned the G8, as well as the Holden Commodore and the Chevrolet Camaro. GM’s North American spokespeople have not confirmed the Zeta architecture, but all signs, including CEO Fritz Henderson’s comments to an Australian paper, indicate that platform will be used in the police car. No other GM rear-wheel-drive platform would be properly sized for a police cruiser that would compete with Dodge’s Charger and Ford’s Crown Victoria.

GeoffA
10-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Not for nothing, but all the problems we see especially with the trany Police Depts are gonna Hate this car after some miles get on it. And they are horrible for wear and tear on cars...

vert
10-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Not for nothing, but all the problems we see especially with the trany Police Depts are gonna Hate this car after some miles get on it. And they are horrible for wear and tear on cars...

Might work in our favor. Speeding down the interstate when one clocks you, pulls out and then clunk the lower control arm gives out and we get out of a ticket.:nah:

TrUcKeR
10-03-2009, 03:42 PM
And they won't be able to radio ahead because the drone will drown them out.

Can you imagine the heated seats causing mace-can explosions? LoL

aaronsmini
10-03-2009, 05:07 PM
might work in our favor. Speeding down the interstate when one clocks you, pulls out and then clunk the lower control arm gives out and we get out of a ticket.:nah:

lmao

It's A G8!
10-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Do you guy think it will have the G8 bumper or something else?

thegreatob
10-03-2009, 05:21 PM
And they won't be able to radio ahead because the drone will drown them out.

Can you imagine the heated seats causing mace-can explosions? LoL

Mace can explosion? What do you think we sit on them? Plus it's oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray), not mace. I can't wait until I get to drive one when I go to work too :woohoo:

WickedMom
10-03-2009, 05:58 PM
The cops are coming and they'll be driving a G8.

.sigh.

95_9C1
10-03-2009, 07:53 PM
This may help us look forward to future episodes of

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii440/95_9C1/cops_zeta.jpg

markpetersonii
10-03-2009, 08:17 PM
WOW... They are actually getting them. Well, More G8's on the road now. Plus, after they are all used up and for bid at Police Auto Auctions, they are going to become a 16 year olds first car. GREAT!

Slizzo
10-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Think of it this way.

This should make GM have parts availability increased to us.

This will allow the Police to find all and any faults that can be present on the car.

This will force GM to recognize and fix all problems with the car.

Hopefully, this will allow us to get some good resolution on problems that some of us have had with the car.

Things to take away from this:

Do not expect the police spec cars to have the same interior as our cars.

Do not expect these cars to have the same body parts as ours (I would think they would slap Chevy front ends on the cars and sell them as a "Lumina" or "Impala". Popo already have a history of using Luminas [and Impalas] in the states for cruisers).

NYG8GT
10-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Think of it this way.

This should make GM have parts availability increased to us.

This will allow the Police to find all and any faults that can be present on the car.

This will force GM to recognize and fix all problems with the car.

Hopefully, this will allow us to get some good resolution on problems that some of us have had with the car.

You're giving way too much credit to a government run company. This is going to be such an awful decision, and I'm sure will be a huge regret once these things start falling apart.

Also, with the TERRIBLE gas mileage these things get in the city, this is going to drive up departmental fuel costs. Who pays for that? *cough us taxpayers cough*

However, maybe this will indeed secure more solid parts availability for us. If thats the casey, maybe I'll keep the car and just buy one of those extended warranty's for it after the factory warranty expires.

supercharger
10-04-2009, 08:11 AM
What do you mean "start" falling apart"? Holden has sold an awful lot of these cars worldwide and there is not a lot of recalls. Suspension issues are being sorted out, as are any other problems. Its weird, but it seems only US cars are having the suspension issues and mostly affects cars in the colder areas of the country. My biggest gripe is the flimsy front seat trim that makes all kinds of noise rubbing against the leather, but cop cars will likely not have perforated leather anyway, and the crappy original door strikers that go bad and start making clicking, clunking noises. The strikers are already redesigned. I had one replaced two weeks ago...now the drivers door is doing it. I'll be at the dealer tommorow telling them to replace ALL three remaining strikers this time around.

I highly doubt any chrysler product is of better quality than a GM unit. In fact, I have read that the chrysler cars cost less to build per unit than does a car from ford or GM. In other words...they are built CHEAPER.

Do you think a hemi charger or crown vic are doing any better MPGs in the city? I want some of what you're smoking :)

BTW, there are lots of Commodore cop cars already in use Down Under...and no horror stories have turned up about them.

Slizzo
10-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Do you think a hemi charger or crown vic are doing any better MPGs in the city? I want some of what you're smoking :)

I'm with Supercharger on this part. If you think that the Charger or Crown Vic gets any better mileage than a G8 GT (when both are heavier and have less HP) then you're out of your gourd.

:boxing:

El.Diablos.G8
10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
I wonder how much these babies will cost own the road for re-sale...

95_9C1
10-04-2009, 08:52 AM
^^^ that, and will they be RPOed as 9C1s ? :D

Panzer Leader
10-04-2009, 10:58 AM
CHIPS and CHUMPS

pokey
10-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure what to think...maybe I should have bought a GTO a few years back? I really hope they put a different front end on them, I really didn't want to own a police car.

GeoffA
10-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Like anything else, I wont believe it until I (see it) get pulled over by one...

G8GT594
10-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Really hope not. Why in the fuck would I want my vehicle to look like a police car? If this is the case I shoulda bought a crown vic. One thing is for sure at least the vic is built better then our piece of shit G8 with rear main leaks, shit ass suspension, drive shaft issues, window hitting door issues, and the last goes on. A big fuck you to GM.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

Slizzo
10-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Really hope not. Why in the fuck would I want my vehicle to look like a police car? If this is the case I shoulda bought a crown vic. One thing is for sure at least the vic is built better then our piece of shit G8 with rear main leaks, shit ass suspension, drive shaft issues, window hitting door issues, and the last goes on. A big fuck you to GM.

Can't say I've had any of your issues. Sounds like you got a lemon.

Honestly guys, in terms of reliability, this car is no worse than any other out on the road. There will always be a few cars that have issues out of the bunch.

MyTyphoon1993
10-04-2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/the-cops-get-a-zeta-sedan-gm-unveils-355-hp-chevy-caprice-polic/

95_9C1
10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5373645/exclusive-the-chevy-caprice-police-car-is-back

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_2011_Chevy_Caprice_Police_Car.jpg

http://cache-05.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-02.jpg

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-01.jpg

http://cache-07.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-04.jpg

GeoffA
10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
^ there you go, 2011 chevy caprice and I don't like the way it looks

markpetersonii
10-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd rather see that behind me than another G8!

G8GT594
10-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Can't say I've had any of your issues. Sounds like you got a lemon.

Honestly guys, in terms of reliability, this car is no worse than any other out on the road. There will always be a few cars that have issues out of the bunch.

Got a lemon? Far from it. Don't worry.. Your car will have the same exact issues as mine does in time. Every G8 does its only a matter of time.

NYG8GT
10-05-2009, 03:59 AM
I like the headlights, I wonder if they're a bolt in for our cars?

Ok, so my question is this. Is this longer wheelbase platform similar to our cars as far as chassis components are concerned? If GM really has the balls to do this, that means they MUST have PLENTY of parts available for maintenance and repairs, and if most of the parts can be swapped between platforms, I might consider keeping my car. Right now I'm considering trading in my car in for an Accord hybrid I found at a local dealership, lower car payment and twice the mileage, and the obvious unlimited access to parts. However, I'll keep the G8 around for a few more years if this new Caprice can ensure a steady parts stream in to the country.

SRG963
10-05-2009, 04:45 AM
d-FagFunApw

vert
10-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Like anything else, I wont believe it until I (see it) get pulled over by one...

I wonder if I would qualify for a discount on a speeding ticket if I got pulled over by another G8.

Chewy
10-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Hey... We can get steel winter wheels now! lol

KaiserM715
10-05-2009, 06:06 AM
I wonder if we will be able to fit the factory oil, tranny and power steering coolers to our cars..... Sounds like a job for Greg when the parts are available!

Cliffy
10-05-2009, 06:28 AM

:woohoo:

Crazy Paul
10-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I like the headlights, I wonder if they're a bolt in for our cars?

Ok, so my question is this. Is this longer wheelbase platform similar to our cars as far as chassis components are concerned? If GM really has the balls to do this, that means they MUST have PLENTY of parts available for maintenance and repairs, and if most of the parts can be swapped between platforms, I might consider keeping my car. I'll keep the G8 around for a few more years if this new Caprice can ensure a steady parts stream in to the country.

The WM range (long wheelbase) have different headlights to the VE range. I do not know what all the differences are.

The long wheelbase range share probably 90% of the same parts as the VE range. Most parts are interchangeable, except obviously those where the extra length at the rear and around the trunk come into play.

There have always been plenty of parts available for the whole range of cars, the problem seems to be that stock levels on USA soil have been allowed to dwindle. Tough economic times probably meant a sacrifice was made.

fiveoh
10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
WOW I want that advanced integrated technology system. G8 becoming a cop car ftl thou. They can call it a caprice but most of the stuff on there is from a g8.

NYG8GT
10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
They showed 2 different interiors. One of them looks lifted from a G8, the other one is nothing like I have seen before, which I am assuming is the Caprice interior.

From the white car...
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/06-caprice-police-press.jpg

And I'm assuming this is from the black car.....
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/16273188.jpg

SRG963
10-05-2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/16273188.jpg

That's one hell of a touch screen!

mikesgt
10-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Doesn't sound like it's going to help us out much for stocking parts here. Most body panels will be different, interior looks different and does our engine have cross over parts with the LS2? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but I could be wrong. maybe the same tranny.

Crazy Paul
10-05-2009, 08:55 AM
That's one hell of a touch screen!

Press 456 to receive donut.

Crazy Paul
10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Doesn't sound like it's going to help us out much for stocking parts here. Most body panels will be different, interior looks different and does our engine have cross over parts with the LS2? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but I could be wrong. maybe the same tranny.

I wouldn't believe the engine is LS2 based on one journalist.
It's more likely to be an Aussie L98 (6.0 LS2 block with L92 heads and no AFM).
Same as an L76 with no AFM fitted.
The power figures quoted dont match LS2 and Holden never fitted LS2 to any of their Australian or export cars. HSV were the only cars fitted with LS2 & they discontinued using LS2 in April 2008.

vert
10-05-2009, 09:49 AM
The power figures quoted dont match LS2 and Holden never fitted LS2 to any of their Australian or export cars. HSV were the only cars fitted with LS2 & they discontinued using LS2 in April 2008.

If that is the case, then it might be cheaper later on to do the AFM delete?

The Commodore
10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Got a lemon? Far from it. Don't worry.. Your car will have the same exact issues as mine does in time. Every G8 does its only a matter of time.

None of your problems bro.

Sometimes luck isn't on your side. And a Vic is not very comparable if at all to our cars besides RWD, V8, and four doors.

The Commodore
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I know that this will make our back seats useless but in the event of the zombie apocalypse, will that gun rack fit in our cars?

Seattle09GT
10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Chevrolet has officially unveiled the Chevrolet Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) today and will start delivering cars in 2011.

The Chevrolet Caprice PPV is based on the Zeta Platform Holden Statesman, which is a full ten inches longer than the Pontiac G8. It will come with two engine choices, a V6 and a V8, both flex fuel based. The V8 version will put out 355 HP with gasoline in the tank. No information on pricing, a base police package Impala today starts at $25K.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/lei...ruiser?slide=1

Seattle09GT
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM

According to the official unveiling today it is a L76 V8, all aluminum engine with AFM and Flex Fuel capable.

Seattle09GT
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM

Maybe full size spare tire and jack kits also - can't believe for one second the popo will tolerate having a tire inflation kit.

Seattle09GT
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM

Well seeing how you hate GM and your G8 so much, and their resale value has started to appreciate in the last two to three months, now is the prefect time to sell that lemon. I hear Toyota builds some great cars, when they aren't spinning off out of control at 120 MPH and killing their occupants.

Panzer Leader
10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I want the "Push Bar" add on for the front bumper.

GeoffA
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I want the "Push Bar" add on for the front bumper.

They make it, called the roobar I've seen a pic somewhere...

Slizzo
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Believe I've had mine about as long as you've had yours. :) (Bought mine May 19, 2008)

Oh, and this looks good to me...

bobyoung
10-05-2009, 08:08 PM
d-FagFunApw

Sounds like a V6.

bigtreepu
10-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I do not like. :(

~Matt

caretaker
10-06-2009, 07:02 AM

You have got to be kidding! How many miles are on your G8?
My only problem in 35,000 miles has been a freakin' BUSHING!
I'm not sure why you have had so many problems, but to say
every G8 will have all these problems is BULLSH*T!

If the CV is such a good vehicle how come a used one comparable
to a G8 GT is going for $16,120 private sale as compared to $21,870
for the G8 GT. Info from edmunds.com for vehicles with comparable
equipment / sticker price, and 35,000 miles.

Of course in the real world I would NEVER compare a CV to a G8.
They are not even close in capabilities. Just my :twocents:

soup070
10-06-2009, 06:00 PM
They make it, called the roobar I've seen a pic somewhere...

You can find the ssv roobar on this site but not the same. Saw a SS commodore with roobar in Brizy but really looked weird on a taxi. http://www.holden.com.au/products-and-services/accessories

soup070
10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Quoting from my Oct 2006 issue of Australian Wheels Mag., the caprice is 94mm (3.7 in)was added behind the B-pillar to the VE platform changing it to what is called the WM. These two only share the front doors and glass. I total, the body has 43 unique panels. It is the biggest side structure that Holden has ever produced. Under the skin there is a huge amount of similarities (unchanged chassis, suspension system, brakes, wheels sizes, and tyres). The luxury level caprice V8 weighs roughly 1890kg (4198lbs, almost 17 feet long) while a G8 might weigh 3966 lbs.

95_9C1
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
rcZGY5YRSMo

AL@G8R
10-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Will the front passenger seat slide all the way back unlike in the G8?:boxing:

(I'll take a 9C3 please!)

NYG8GT
10-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Lol @ the terrorist drifting!

johnbell2
10-11-2009, 08:37 AM
rcZGY5YRSMo

Alright, that cuts it. I want an armored Caprice with push and roll bars. Add to cart. Those guys are crazy, you almost have to believe in an afterlife to drive like that :rofl:

powershiftlol
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I agree With him... <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/InsspuvAmBs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InsspuvAmBs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ktlplxm
10-12-2009, 12:55 PM

I've got as many miles as anyone and I haven't run into most of the problems concerning quality. No suspension issues, driveshaft issues, window issues etc. It really is just a case of people with issues report them way more often than people that don't. The Crown Vics seam to hold up only because most owners drive them easy, very easy. Police Departments on the other hands replace parts constantly when the officer drive them spiritedly.
Now before someone points out my engine issue, that is something very, very few have experienced, and it ended up being a blessing in disguise.

95_9C1
10-15-2009, 04:36 PM
...longer nose on the G8:

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii440/95_9C1/PPV_GXP.jpg

95_9C1
11-01-2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/chevrolet_caprice_ppv_new_images_main.jpg

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/vehicles/articles/1960164-2011-Chevrolet-Caprice-This-is-going-to-be-fun/

Police Driving: Safety Behind the Wheel

with Capt. Travis Yates

I was a brand new officer in 1994 when I was given an opportunity to drive a 1987 Chevrolet Caprice. Made famous in a number of movies, this full size black and white did not disappoint. I don’t even know what kind of modifications had been made to the car, but it sounded mean and driving it was fun.

Even as a new officer, I didn’t have the car long before I was given an opportunity to drive various other models, most not worth mentioning. A few years later I received a car that many have called one of the greatest ever made for police service — a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1.

Powered by a LT1 260 Horsepower, 5.7 Liter engine, the car was one of the most popular for the LE profession of all time. To this day, there are many enthusiasts that just can’t let go of this icon. But all good things had to come to an end and in 1996, General Motors ceased production on the Caprice.

Flash forward 13 years and the gauntlet is being thrown down. If the 2006 Dodge Charger broke the mold for police cars, the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice blows it up. According to the general manager for GM Fleet and Commercial Operations, Jim Campbell, “We asked for a lot of feedback from our police customers, which helped us develop a vehicle that is superior to the Crown Victoria in key areas.”
With a sleek and sporty look, the 2011 rear wheel drive Caprice sports an impressive 6.0 Liter, V8 Engine rated at an estimated 355 horsepower. According to GM, the new Caprice “is not based on existing civilian passenger-car model sold in North America. It has been developed in key areas specifically for police duty.”

General Motors expects “a sub six second” 0-60 acceleration and a top speed when compared to others in its class. They say the car will contain two trunk-mounted batteries, with one of them dedicated to powering various police equipment along with built in compatibility with in-dash touch-screen computer technology.

According to Bob Demick, the lead seat design manager, “The shape (of the seat) also enhances entry and egress, making it easier for officers to exit the vehicle quickly. The seatback bolsters, for example, have been purposefully contoured to help pocket the equipment on the belt, which includes the gun, TASER, and handcuffs, which rest comfortably in the sculpted lower bolsters. That also increases the longevity of the trim cover surface.”

The Caprice boasts a larger interior than its competitors at 112 cubic feet including more legroom and special features will include spotlights, lockouts for the power windows and locks and an “undercover” street-appearance package titled the 9C3.

Chevrolet & Policing: A Brief History
Chevrolet’s history with law enforcement is almost as old as the brand itself. Police departments have used Chevy sedans as police cars for decades, ordering them with basic equipment and powerful V-8 engines — including some special engines that weren’t available in regular-production models, such as the 1959 Biscayne that was offered with up to 315 horsepower. The full-size Chevrolets joined the force in 1976. All Caprice police cars — including the new, 2011 model — have carried the 9C1 order code. Here’s a quick look back at Chevys on patrol:

1959 — Chevy Biscayne police model capable of 135 mph with specially tuned, police-only version of the 348-cubic-inch V-8 engine
1965 — The new “big-block” 396 engine is offered in Biscayne and Bel Air police cars, making them among the most powerful on patrol; a 427 V-8 was added in 1966
1976 — The 9C1 order code is given for the first time to a full-size Chevy police car package. It carries the Impala name.
1977 — The full-size Chevy is downsized. The 9C1 police package is retained, as is the Impala name.
1986 — The Caprice name replaces Impala, as the car is updated for the mid- and late-1980s — including the option of a powerful, 5.7-liter small-block V-8.
1991 — A new-generation Caprice is launched, with the 9C1 police car still on the beat.
1994 — The 260-horsepower (194 Nm) LT1 V-8 engine is offered in the Caprice 9C1, making it one of the fastest full-size police cars ever offered.
1996 — Caprice police car production ends, as GM’s full-size, body-on-frame car architecture is discontinued.
2011 — The Caprice PPV returns to active duty.

There is much we still don’t know about this car and while the specifications are impressive, there is only one way it will prove itself: that is with America’s Finest behind the wheel. That will tell the story and Chevrolet is confident that story will be a huge success. Orders for the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice can be placed in the 3rd quarter of 2010 with deliveries beginning in early 2011.

Crazy Paul
12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
http://h.imagehost.org/t/0037/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-002_0.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0037/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-002_0) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0351/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-005.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0351/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-005) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0123/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-011.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0123/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-011) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0903/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-017.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0903/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-017) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0404/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-019.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0404/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-019) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0720/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-023.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0720/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-023) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0527/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-024.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0527/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-024) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0448/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-027.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0448/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-027) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0608/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-032.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0608/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-032) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0716/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-037.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0716/chevy_caprice-ppv_unveil-037)

johnbell2
12-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Is that Nav I see in the former Atari guage location?

Crazy Paul
12-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Is that Nav I see in the former Atari guage location?

No it's the Holden Omega centre stack.
We do use that top housing from the Omega for the GPS integration mod into G8 tho
Here's what it normally looks like.
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Commodore/Omega/interior

Here's an Omega top housing used for GPS in a G8
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/GPS%20mod/IMG_1096.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/GPS%20mod/IMG_1093.jpg

Panzer Leader
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I watched both videos. I can attest to the video of the Middle East Drift Club Finals. If there were a test track for GM its there. Accidents, you bet, but no reparable ones. I can imagine the police version suspension, GXP perhaps, or even better? Since Fritz has left the building, perhaps the G8 in some form will return. But I have to agree with the new GM CEO in the second video, badged as a Chevy, "NEIN, NEIN, NEIN", as A Buick, "JA, JA, JA!!!".

Slizzo
12-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I want those steelies for my winter rims!!

Seattle09GT
06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
First one spotted in the wild outside of a trade/car show...

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=18007

Seattle09GT
06-14-2010, 11:02 AM
I watched both videos. I can attest to the video of the Middle East Drift Club Finals. If there were a test track for GM its there. Accidents, you bet, but no reparable ones. I can imagine the police version suspension, GXP perhaps, or even better? Since Fritz has left the building, perhaps the G8 in some form will return. But I have to agree with the new GM CEO in the second video, badged as a Chevy, "NEIN, NEIN, NEIN", as A Buick, "JA, JA, JA!!!".

Exactly, that is what I would like to see. A Buick Electra? Don't know what legacy name they could use as the Regal and GS have been used, which means the GNX (which was more of an option group/trim level on steroids) would live in that family.

saltyrodz
06-15-2010, 08:33 AM
fyi there are florida state troopers with on duty unmarked G8GTs the one i saw was just like mine pbm with sport package was weird to see a state trooper give me the thumbs up and gun it the only way you can tell are the hidden strobes in front grills and if you look closely through their illegal tints u can see light in the back. hmmmmmmm. and fhp tag

rez0nance
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
fyi there are florida state troopers with on duty unmarked G8GTs the one i saw was just like mine pbm with sport package was weird to see a state trooper give me the thumbs up and gun it the only way you can tell are the hidden strobes in front grills and if you look closely through their illegal tints u can see light in the back. hmmmmmmm. and fhp tag

No freaking way! Where did you see him? You've seen more than one?

Seattle09GT
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
No freaking way! Where did you see him? You've seen more than one?

The USAF is using 2009 WH G8 GTs as chase cars for their U2 program. These are replacing the fleet of '02 F-Bodies and '06 Pontiac GTOs. That is even cooler than police duty.

rez0nance
06-15-2010, 11:50 AM
The USAF is using 2009 WH G8 GTs as chase cars for their U2 program. These are replacing the fleet of '02 F-Bodies and '06 Pontiac GTOs. That is even cooler than police duty.

Yeah, that I'm well aware of (especially since there's a new thread every month about it ;) ), I was just surprised that the cops in my neck of the woods have undercover G8s.

dllb
06-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Hmm, have to get the one piece trim that goes across the dash of the Police Cruiser for my GPS kit once the chevy police cruiser parts are at the dealerships!

No it's the Holden Omega centre stack.
We do use that top housing from the Omega for the GPS integration mod into G8 tho
Here's what it normally looks like.
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Commodore/Omega/interior

Here's an Omega top housing used for GPS in a G8
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/GPS%20mod/IMG_1096.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/GPS%20mod/IMG_1093.jpg

Crazy Paul
06-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Hmm, have to get the one piece trim that goes across the dash of the Police Cruiser for my GPS kit once the chevy police cruiser parts are at the dealerships!

There will always be a joint just to the right of the centre stack.
You can already get a left hand side section in Micro Silver (Shiny) or Rado Silver (Dark) which extends from the left door to the joint above your glovebox handle.

Rado Silver
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/GPS%20mod/P1010707-1.jpg

Micro Silver (the joint is hidden behind the left edge of the steering wheel here.)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/GPS%20mod/omega2.jpg

There's the single joint.....just to the right of the centre stack
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/GPS%20mod/omega1.jpg

texn884
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
My G8 gets great mileage 22 to 29 it what it gets.
Had a 20+ head wind today and filled up just a while ago and got 23 MPG running 73 MPH. Better than a stick in the eye for sure.