PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile virgin

kevinm0131
10-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Hey folks,
Taking my GXP out to test n' tune tonight at Edgewater Sports Park. Wish me luck as this is the first time I've ever driven on the strip. I've "crewed" for some buddies many years ago, but have never made a pass. Promise not to laugh at my results between being a newbie and my already chronicled wimpiest GXP dyno numbers I''m not sure what to expect.
I'll post my results....unless they are too embarrassing!

Kevin
:grrrr8:

wreckwriter
10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
You'll do fine. Best luck!

GRRRR8
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Go and have fun. Watch what others do and use this as a learning experience.

bracketracer
10-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree with those above. Go and have fun! I highly recommend that you lower your rear tire pressure to help on launch though. Stock pressure = smoke shows and poor 60 fts. I have run as low as 23 lbs, and I might even try 20, to get into the 1.9 60 ft range. I have no idea what the best launch rpm would be for an auto GXP, maybe others can help on that. Make sure to get weather stats, especially a Density Altitude, to help explain if ETs are slower than you hope. If you can cut a 60 ft better than 2.10, and get ETs better than 13.50 on your first time out, you should be ecstatic! Good luck and let us know how you do! Glad to see another GXP hitting the track, even if you have an automatic, LOL!

kevinm0131
10-03-2009, 03:40 AM
13.220 @ 106.97 mph was my first and fastest run.
2.102 was my 60 foot and again best of the night

I had lots of wheel spin w/tc on and some more going into 2nd.
I tried launching at about 3,000 and had my slowest time of the night w/the most wheel spin off the line.
I did not mess w/ the tire pressure but was a little low already, 34 psi.
Only got 4 runs in and all were slower time wise but all but one very near the same speed. They experienced a lousy night of having to clean the track. I talked to some of the veterans and one said this was the most clean up/down time he had seen in seven years of going to Edgewater. The guy who went through tech with me absolutley blew his tranny apart in one lane. He must have went straight into the lanes, I pulled over to spectate a bit and talk to the two other G8 owners who were there and within 5 minutes we saw this massive cloud of smoke at the finish line and then later saw them bringing his beater Monte back on a flat bed. So I'm sure the track surface was at least a little compromised. They also did not seem to be keeping an eye out for leakers either. In the 10 minutes and about 4 cars i saw at tech, tech guy didn't even get out of his seat. I also never saw either the starter or the guy getting you set up ever lean over to look under a car. They were just moving them down the strip as fast as possible. The most activity saw from anyone at the tree was on my next to last pass when the starter had me wait and he shuffled a towel down the left side tire patch with his foot.

When can I go again? :-)

kevin

OLD_GOAT
10-03-2009, 05:47 AM

I tried launching at about 3,000 and had my slowest time of the night w/the most wheel spin off the line.
kevin

Take the traction control off and try launching at either off idle or 1,000 rpms at the most. 3,000 rpms is way too high to launch an A6. With your mods, you should easily be in the 12's.

Your DA was around 1056, which corrected your time to around 13.07, so DA wasn't that much of a problem.

Mike P
10-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Nice runs man! It's shitty in Michigan today (rain), so you're lucky you got to run.

It's Mustang Day at Ubly, MI next Saturday......

Nice job!

I did not mess w/ the tire pressure but was a little low already, 34 psi.
Only got 4 runs in and all were slower time wise but all but one very near the same speed. They experienced a lousy night of having to clean the track. I talked to some of the veterans and one said this was the most clean up/down time he had seen in seven years of going to Edgewater. The guy who went through tech with me absolutley blew his tranny apart in one lane. He must have went straight into the lanes, I pulled over to spectate a bit and talk to the two other G8 owners who were there and within 5 minutes we saw this massive cloud of smoke at the finish line and then later saw them bringing his beater Monte back on a flat bed. So I'm sure the track surface was at least a little compromised. They also did not seem to be keeping an eye out for leakers either. In the 10 minutes and about 4 cars i saw at tech, tech guy didn't even get out of his seat. I also never saw either the starter or the guy getting you set up ever lean over to look under a car. They were just moving them down the strip as fast as possible. The most activity saw from anyone at the tree was on my next to last pass when the starter had me wait and he shuffled a towel down the left side tire patch with his foot.

When can I go again? :-)

kevin

bigtreepu
10-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I really hope to get to edgewater w/ you guys in the future, if anything else than to just watch! Let me know if this Friday is a go for you guys! you'll get it dialed in Kevin. no worries!

~Matt

G8 GT V8
10-04-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm up for it again. It was a blast!

AUGAH
10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Nice runs, it is certainly a blast. I lauched at idle the one time I went. Next time I will try launching a couple at 1200 with 25 psi in the rears.

Devilish34
10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice runs, it is certainly a blast. I lauched at idle the one time I went. Next time I will try launching a couple at 1200 with 25 psi in the rears.

When you going again?

Jimmy Dean
10-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Congrats Kevin! It was nice meeting you guys. Are you shooting for the 12's?

AUGAH
10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
When you going again?

Waiting on you, just kidding. Haven't found the time to make it up on a Wednesday. Let me know the next time you go, I will see if I can make it.

Devilish34
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Waiting on you, just kidding. Haven't found the time to make it up on a Wednesday. Let me know the next time you go, I will see if I can make it.

I'll probably go Friday night. My wife has hockey practice this Wednesday but not next Wed. The rain ruined last Friday I only got 2 runs in.

edmanet
10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll probably go Friday night. My wife has hockey practice this Wednesday but not next Wed. The rain ruined last Friday I only got 2 runs in.

If I can go next WED I'll need you to run my car. I won't be able to wear a helmet for 2 to 3 weeks. Hopefully I"ll have my CCW rims back by then.

Devilish34
10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
If I can go next WED I'll need you to run my car. I won't be able to wear a helmet for 2 to 3 weeks. Hopefully I"ll have my CCW rims back by then.

I have to check my weekend schedule if I have time and you can might be able to do your line loc. I'll let you know by Thursday if I works for you.

I can run two cars that night lol

GeorgeInNePa
10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Let me know when you guys are going to Cecil again, I'll try to make it. it is about the same distance for me to go to Atco.

Devilish34
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Let me know when you guys are going to Cecil again, I'll try to make it. it is about the same distance for me to go to Atco.

Since I only got 2 runs last Friday I'm going this Friday and next Wednesday.
Might go this Wed with the kids to watch and spend $$$ on candy. Almost deff going Oct 17th for the new age GTO showdown. Wish I had the extra coin for a stall before Oct 17.

Can't beat the 13 mile ride and I got the DR swap down to 10 minutes :)

AUGAH
10-06-2009, 06:32 AM

I am in Charlotte this weekend. Golfing next Wednesday, gotta love the company sponsored tounaments. Going to try Mason Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown within the next couple of weeks. Test and Tune on Saturday all month, and only 30 miles from home.

bigtreepu
10-06-2009, 09:13 AM
:threadjacked::no: