PDA

View Full Version : How long to balance wheels?

Spooky1
10-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I dropped my car off yesterday at the dealer for the wheels to be force balanced and install I guess the carpet trunk liner on the lid. They still have my car and haven't called to tell me it's ready. How long does it take to force balance wheels. I had a shake it the wheel while driving on roads over 35 mph so they said they would force balance and if that didn't work they would give my new tires thinking it had flat spots in tires. Mind you I dropped it off at 10:30 am on Thursday. They did call thursday at 3 pm to tell me no time for balance today but the liner was in car now and they would keep car over nite. So it takes 4 hours to install a liner with 12 push pins that long. I'm no expert but does it take a long time to balance wheels at dealer or is it sent off site? Any info would be great or any comments on the shake in the steering wheel would be great. Thx.:confused2::confused2::repair::repair::repair: :repair:

Chewy
10-02-2009, 12:11 PM
One hour maybe two MAX to balance them...

You've been put behind other cars.

I hope you get it back today. If not I would be steaming mad.

Chris

G8GT721
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
One hour maybe two MAX to balance them...

You've been put behind other cars.

I hope you get it back today. If not I would be steaming mad.

Chris

you definatley got pushed to the back

00 Trans Ram
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
What is "force" balancing? I've had a few hundred wheels balanced (OK, it's the same 8, but new race tires every month) in the past few years, and never heard this term.

Perhaps that's why they are taking so long to balance them, if they are "using the force".

-Ray-
10-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Pressure is applied to the tire while it spins. Sensors pick up variations in weight differences that a regular spin balancer can't.
If it doesn't meet specs, the tire is broke loose from the rim, indexed, aired up and force balanced again. If it doens't meet specs, the process is repeated. After several attempts to balance the tire, if it continues to fail, a new tire would be ordered.

MGMG8GT
10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
What is "force" balancing? I've had a few hundred wheels balanced (OK, it's the same 8, but new race tires every month) in the past few years, and never heard this term.

Perhaps that's why they are taking so long to balance them, if they are "using the force".

Probably is referencing to a road force balance using a Hunter system.

Spooky1
10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Well was told to get my car Saturday as they were putting new tires on it now. I did stop by to check on the car and saw all wheels off and on the lift. We shall see in the morning.

-Ray-
10-03-2009, 01:53 AM
It took a tech 5 hours to get through all the tires on my G6. I ended up with the dealer going through 3 sets of tires before they could get one set to balance correctly.
It can be a very long and frustrating process for the tire tech. buy him lunch if you can.
Seriously, has anyone taken their dealership mechanic out for lunch? I have. Usually when my G8 shows up and the dealership, it gets red carpet treatment.

Spooky1
10-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Well I got new tires and she rides smooth now and she has a little bit of a growl now I guess of the engine is starting to break in .

Blkg8gt
10-06-2009, 04:58 AM
I dropped my car off yesterday at the dealer for the wheels to be force balanced and install I guess the carpet trunk liner on the lid. They still have my car and haven't called to tell me it's ready. How long does it take to force balance wheels. I had a shake it the wheel while driving on roads over 35 mph so they said they would force balance and if that didn't work they would give my new tires thinking it had flat spots in tires. Mind you I dropped it off at 10:30 am on Thursday. They did call thursday at 3 pm to tell me no time for balance today but the liner was in car now and they would keep car over nite. So it takes 4 hours to install a liner with 12 push pins that long. I'm no expert but does it take a long time to balance wheels at dealer or is it sent off site? Any info would be great or any comments on the shake in the steering wheel would be great. Thx.:confused2::confused2::repair::repair::repair: :repair:

It shouldnt take long at all. At most with someone being a slow balancer maybe 20min max. It will usually take me maybe 5 tops on all four and that is zeroing them out too.