PDA

View Full Version : October NC GTG Blue Ridge Parkway

esinger
09-29-2009, 09:10 AM
October NC GTG Blue Ridge Parkway

We’re talking about getting together either Saturday (17th) or Sunday (18th) for a cruse up or down the Blue Ridge Parkway for some scenic stops and lunch.

There’s a group of GTO owners that are going to be at Grandfather mountain on the 18th, but there’s no details about when they might be there, so we could possible join them or just make our own little cruise.

Post any thoughts you may have!

polo
09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Sunday would be great. That'd be cool meeting up with some more people.
BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

esinger
09-30-2009, 05:24 AM
I just found out that I can't do Saturday the 17th. My son is in a local high school marching band competition that day. Since it's my son’s senior year, I need to attend as much as I can.

So is Sunday the 18th good for people interested in going?

jetmechinnc@yahoo.com
10-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Sunday would be great for me, day before my birthday, plus get to show off my new Corsa exhaust

BigV8
10-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Works for me, just found out i've got the 18th off. Let's rip some asphalt!

99-LS1-SS
10-01-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure I'll have my car back by then! It's officially waiting on a driveshaft.

polo
10-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure I'll have my car back by then! It's officially waiting on a driveshaft.

You can drive your wife's car.... or go buy a Camaro before the meet.

99-LS1-SS
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
You can drive your wife's car.... or go buy a Camaro before the meet.

The Tahoe (wife's car) isn't too good to mountain roads. If we were going off of the pavement, then that's another story.

I wish the Z/28 was out already. I think I'll have at least 1.5 years before they hit the streets. I'll be saving my pennies until then. I really wish I could afford to keep both vehicles. If replacing the driveshaft cures my vibration then I will really like my car again.

polo
10-01-2009, 06:04 PM
If replacing the driveshaft cures my vibration then I will really like my car again.

It should fix the vibration, I guess the question is for how long will it fix it? Hopefully it'll last longer than your first one!

esinger
10-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Okay, let’s consider meeting in Asheville, NC on Sunday (Oct 18th) in the morning maybe around 11:00 AM. We catch the parkway from there and cruise up towards Grandfather Mountain. Once we’re at Grandfather Mountain, we can do whatever the group wants, if we catch up with the GTO group that’s great, otherwise some may want to continue on up the parkway, others may want to visit the Grandfather mountain attractions, it’s whatever we want to do.

Do you guys want to catch lunch in Asheville first, do a picnic along the way or fend for ourselves once we reach Grandfather Mountain?

polo
10-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Sounds good. We should probably get some lunch before our drive to Grandfather Mountain, because that drive is a fairly long one (2.5 hours or so). If we meet in Asheville at 11, by the time we actually leave, we probably wouldn't get to GF mountain until 2:00 or later.

Anyone know of a good restaurant in Asheville we can meet at to start our trip?

esinger
10-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Sounds good. We should probably get some lunch before our drive to Grandfather Mountain, because that drive is a fairly long one (2.5 hours or so). If we meet in Asheville at 11, by the time we actually leave, we probably wouldn't get to GF mountain until 2:00 or later.

Anyone know of a good restaurant in Asheville we can meet at to start our trip?

Yeah, after I posted I started talking myself into eating in Asheville for the following reasons.

1) After driving to Asheville, everyone could probably use a short break from driving.
2) It's problably best to tank up the cars while in Asheville.
3) Gives time for people that might had a late start to catch up and join us.
4) No worries about packing anything for lunch or finding a picnic area.

I'll be bringing a couple of talkies, so if you have a pair please bring them.

Next is just to pick the meeting spot/resturant.

Ktlplxm
10-02-2009, 03:00 PM
The Tahoe (wife's car) isn't too good to mountain roads. If we were going off of the pavement, then that's another story.

I wish the Z/28 was out already. I think I'll have at least 1.5 years before they hit the streets. I'll be saving my pennies until then. I really wish I could afford to keep both vehicles. If replacing the driveshaft cures my vibration then I will really like my car again.

Need me to pick you up? It says I can seat 4 comfortably in the manual somewhere...

polo
10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Need me to pick you up? It says I can seat 4 comfortably in the manual somewhere...

So, does that mean you're coming?

BigV8
10-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I'll meet with whoever is going in this area and follow up to asheville( I get lost easily). Eating in asheville sounds good to me.:)

stryker g8gt
10-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Pending football game kick off time on Saturday....I may try to meet up with you guys. If it is a night game.....it will not happen for me

polo
10-03-2009, 01:40 PM
What football game?

esinger
10-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Well it looks like we've narrowed down the meeting place to either Texas Roadhouse or Atlanta Bread Co. in Asheville on Hendersonville Rd.

Which do you guys want to meet at. Both are open at 11:00 AM on Sunday.

caretaker
10-07-2009, 10:42 AM
DAMN! I'll be in Blowing Rock / Boone, right near
Grandfather Mountain the second week in November
for vacation. Just one month too late. :facepalm:
May be in Charlotte on the 13-14 too.

esinger
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
DAMN! I'll be in Blowing Rock / Boone, right near
Grandfather Mountain the second week in November
for vacation.

An exact date hasn't been set yet, but Kooks in Statesville, NC is planning a G8 GTG in November. So we might still be able to catch you next month.

stryker g8gt
10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
What football game?

Clemson

caretaker
10-07-2009, 03:30 PM
An exact date hasn't been set yet, but Kooks in Statesville, NC is planning a G8 GTG in November. So we might still be able to catch you next month.

That would be GRRRR8! I'll have to
keep track of when they are having it.

polo
10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey Caretaker... even if you're not able to make either of the meets, let us know when you're in Charlotte. We could have a mini-meet, or maybe I could just meet you for lunch if no one else could make it.

caretaker
10-08-2009, 04:23 AM
I'll definitely be in Charlotte on Nov. 13-14 (Fri.-Sat.).
If I could meet some of you guys it would be GRRRR8!

I am in desperate need of some Fried Pickles and Wings
from Wing King either in Charlotte or Rock Hill.

Anytime either day is fine with me. :thumbsup:

Ktlplxm
10-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Wing King in Rock Hill? Where are you from originally?

Ktlplxm
10-08-2009, 06:46 AM
So, does that mean you're coming?

I always try to. Business and weather are the ony two things that ever stop me really. I was hoping to have my latest mods on the car completed by then, but the suspension stuff is being a pain in the ass. Till I get the suspension issues worked out, I can't start on the next step

esinger
10-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Well, I hope the weather holds out for that weekend too and as far as business goes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Polo was the only one that responded about the meeting place, so I'll go ahead and call it

Texas Roadhouse
230 Hendersonville Rd.
Asheville, NC 28803

http://roadhouse.know-where.com/roadhouse/cgi/site?site=00116

I'll plan on being there at 11:00 AM on Sunday Oct 18th. That should give us about an hour to eat and greet and we'll head south down Hendersonville Rd and hit the Parkway around noon.

caretaker
10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Wing King in Rock Hill? Where are you from originally?

I'm originally from CT and still live in CT, but
I was working out of the Charlotte office
from 3/02 - 8/06 so I know my way around
the area fairly well.

I've never been to the Wing King in Rock Hill
but we used to go to the one at the corner of
Carowinds Blvd. and S. Tryon all the time.
I NEED FRIED PICKLES!! And Garlic Parmesan Wings.

T-Bones on Lake Wylie is really good too.
The Chinese buffet near Tyvola Rd. and Old Pineville Rd. is excellent.

As you can see I use food places for landmarks.

esinger
10-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I NEED FRIED PICKLES!!

Man, it's been awhile since I had them, but I love them too.

If we get rained out on the Asheville trip, maybe we can road trip to Greenville, SC and have a football party at Stryker G8GT's!

polo
10-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Alright, 1 week away...
No little girl at this meet. She's staying with my mom all day, and my dad's going to come along with me. (Kind of a trade... she takes my daughter, I take my dad :) )
My grandparents live in Granite Falls (outside of Hickory), so we're going to swing by their house on the way back and have dinner with them. That Sunday is exactly a week between my grandmother's and grandfather's birthdays.

Anyone in East TN, or Northern GA want to make the trip?

rclinton
10-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Ahhhhh Last month was my grand daughters birthday, this month its my annual golf outing. Oh well maybe next month.

BigV8
10-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Just got back from St Augustine FL yesterday after 6 days, and see we are meeting at the Texas Roadhouse 11am. Sounds GRRRR8. :)

esinger
10-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Great, I'll send a PM (also to Polo) with my cell phone. I'll probably be leaving G'boro around 8:00 AM to make sure there's plenty of time to get there.

white lightning
10-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to make this time. Both my kids have picture day for football.

esinger
10-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry you can't make it^

So far from my count we have about 5 G8s going.

esinger
polo
bigv8
mike-nc
jetmechinnc

Am I missing anyone?

polo
10-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Ktlplxm said he'll try to make it, but who knows? After losing the race to a Mustang, he's probably too embarassed to take that slow POS on a road trip. :)

esinger
10-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Ktlplxm said he'll try to make it, but who knows? After losing the race to a Mustang, he's probably too embarassed to take that slow POS on a road trip. :)

He shouldn't feel too bad. I mean the guy did blow a head gasket to get that win. Come on Ktlplxm (don't know how to spell your real name) dry up those tears and smile a little:)

SRG963
10-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Just heard on the news this morning that a rock slide has closed part of the parkway outside of Asheville, may want to check on this before the cruse :)

esinger
10-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Just heard on the news this morning that a rock slide has closed part of the parkway outside of Asheville, may want to check on this before the cruse :)

Thanks for the update Shawn. I checked and that rockslide is south (Ferrin Knob, NC ) of where we're talking about getting on, so we'll miss it completely.

SRG963
10-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the update Shawn. I checked and that rockslide is south (Ferrin Knob, NC ) of where we're talking about getting on, so we'll miss it completely.

Good deal, have fun and be safe up there! :)

polo
10-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Eric,

Do you know anything else about the GTO guys? Where did you hear about them going to the mountains? If it's on one of their forums, I'll go over there and see if they want to meet for some pictures.

99-LS1-SS
10-15-2009, 05:18 AM
It doesn't look like I'll have my dang car back in time. Make sure you guys take a lot of pictures! Be careful too.

polo
10-15-2009, 06:02 AM
It doesn't look like I'll have my dang car back in time. Make sure you guys take a lot of pictures! Be careful too.

How much longer did they tell you it was going to take?

BigV8
10-15-2009, 07:00 AM
We better bring some thermals, going to be cold, at least by my standards LOL.

BigV8
10-15-2009, 07:00 AM
How much longer did they tell you it was going to take? +1

99-LS1-SS
10-15-2009, 07:39 AM
How much longer did they tell you it was going to take?

It was supposed to be done this past Monday. I'm waiting on the correct driveshaft to come in. I hope within the next day or so. I'm not holding my breath though.

caretaker
10-15-2009, 07:40 AM
I hope you guys luck out with the weather.
I just checked www.booneweather.com and it looks like
snow flurries Friday night into late Saturday in
the mountains.
:windy:

It looks like it will clear by Sunday morning and
that should make for some really great pictures at
Grandfather Mountain. Wish I was going to be there.
Have fun, drive safe and take a lot of pics.

I'm still planning to be in Charlotte on Nov 13-14
and hope I can meet some of you guys then.

esinger
10-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Eric,

Do you know anything else about the GTO guys? Where did you hear about them going to the mountains? If it's on one of their forums, I'll go over there and see if they want to meet for some pictures.

A guy with the sign on PMD G8 on the other board pointed it out to me.

Here's the link:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319494

polo
10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I hope you guys luck out with the weather.
I just checked www.booneweather.com and it looks like
snow flurries Friday night into late Saturday in
the mountains.
:windy:

It looks like it will clear by Sunday morning and
that should make for some really great pictures at
Grandfather Mountain. Wish I was going to be there.
Have fun, drive safe and take a lot of pics.

I'm still planning to be in Charlotte on Nov 13-14
and hope I can meet some of you guys then.

As long as it doesn't snow much on Sunday, I'll be happy. I've got the summer Potenzas on my car, so if it snows, I may end up rolling down the side of the mountain.

You're right...snow covered mountains with leaves changing colors would be a great backdrop for some pics!

polo
10-15-2009, 02:22 PM
A guy with the sign on PMD G8 on the other board pointed it out to me.

Here's the link:

Well, they've got like 27 cars going. So there's no sense in even seeing if they wanted to meet us. I thought it'd be cool if they only had like 5-10 guys going. They'll laugh at our 5-6 cars :hang:

Now, if I get time I'll read the rest of their thread and see if it says anything about where they'll be driving on Sunday. It might be neat just to see 27 GTOs driving together :)

esinger
10-16-2009, 04:57 AM
I sent PMD G8 my cell number just in case they'd like to meet up or see where we are at. I don't see any indications were they'd mind us showing up and he knows we're planning this cruise.

I'm going to bring a couple of walkies, a camera and some warm clothes. I'm not fretting too much about the snow, it should make for some really nice photos. I'm only concerned about how dirty my car will be for the photos.

BigV8
10-16-2009, 07:03 AM
I sent PMD G8 my cell number just in case they'd like to meet up or see where we are at. I don't see any indications were they'd mind us showing up and he knows we're planning this cruise.

I'm going to bring a couple of walkies, a camera and some warm clothes. I'm not fretting too much about the snow, it should make for some really nice photos. I'm only concerned about how dirty my car will be for the photos.If there is snow hope it does not stick to the roads, i have summer tires.I'll have to keep track of the weather conditions and if there is snow up where we going then i'll have to rethink the trip. :(

esinger
10-16-2009, 07:18 AM
I just looked at Asheville, NC and the temps on Sunday are above freezing (High of 49), so I doubt there'd be much if any snow on the roads.

BigV8
10-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Yea, the Linnville weather said above 4000' possilble 1-3". I will be in Asheville for sure, then go from there.

jetmechinnc@yahoo.com
10-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Got good/ bad news, I have to go to Wilmington to work on a Lear 25 Saturday, won't be back until Sunday morning. Bummed that I can attend the cruise, but happy to get some much needed OT. Hopefully I can just get up with the next cruise, I know the leaves will be perfect in a few weeks out there, already falling in my yard and gutters.

esinger
10-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Sorry to hear your not going to make it. We'll try to take a lot of pictures and post them up.

Since your going to be making extra $$$ this weekend and missing our meet, your penance is to spend the extra money on G8 mods:)

esinger
10-17-2009, 03:31 AM
I has just checking out the GTO thread and there's a Silver G8 GXP in their group.

Here's a link to some photos they posted.

http://s471.photobucket.com/albums/rr77/landsharkmusic/Dragon_09/?start=all

PMD G8
10-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, they've got like 27 cars going. So there's no sense in even seeing if they wanted to meet us. I thought it'd be cool if they only had like 5-10 guys going. They'll laugh at our 5-6 cars :hang:

Now, if I get time I'll read the rest of their thread and see if it says anything about where they'll be driving on Sunday. It might be neat just to see 27 GTOs driving together :)

Hey, right now we only have about 14-17 cars, not sure how many are going down the BRP tomorrow, that's up in the air right now. I was talking with some of them at dinner tonight and they acted like they might want to meet up for lunch. I'm going to talk with the rest of the group when they get back from dinner and see if they would want to meet for lunch and then head down the parkway. I'll post something back up later if I don't drink too much.

PMD G8
10-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I has just checking out the GTO thread and there's a Silver G8 GXP in their group.

Here's a link to some photos they posted.

http://s471.photobucket.com/albums/rr77/landsharkmusic/Dragon_09/?start=all

YAh, that's me. PMD GTO/PMD G8, same person.

BTW, we hit snow on the BRP south of Asheville today. Nothing stuck to the road except for a spot in a tunnel. Should have some pictures up later on.

polo
10-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey, right now we only have about 14-17 cars, not sure how many are going down the BRP tomorrow, that's up in the air right now. I was talking with some of them at dinner tonight and they acted like they might want to meet up for lunch. I'm going to talk with the rest of the group when they get back from dinner and see if they would want to meet for lunch and then head down the parkway. I'll post something back up later if I don't drink too much.

Sounds great! Hopefully we'll see you at lunch.

I'm surprised it's already snowing! From what I've been seeing on the news, they've been saying it's not going to start snowing until tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to getting some good pictures on this trip.

BigV8
10-17-2009, 08:22 PM
:( I'm sorry for the late exit from this GTG but i thought i could squeeze this in. I'm in a middle of a 10 day work week with these 18 hour days mixed in and really felt it be best to just get some rest today. Sorry Eric and John + others, hope you get some great pics and drive safe.

PMD G8
10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
So that means it's down to 3..4? Man that sucks. I really don't feel like riding with the GTO guys down the parkway before lunch b/c I know they won't, not probably, but won't make it to grandfather mountain before 1:00 b/c of all of the stops that they make and the amount of time that it will probalby take to reach it. Plus we had a problem yesterday with people not wanting to pay $11 to go to Chimney Rock,. It costs $4 more to get into Grandfather Mountain so you do the math, can't imagine our situation would be much different at Gfather Mountain. It's hard to satisfy everyone, right now I'll just play it by ear. Our plan is to meet in 6 hrs(yeah I'm posting this at 3 and have to get up at 8) at the hotel and then go from there. I have Esingers #....I believe and we'll see what's up in the AM. If you are one of hte few who is still plannign on coming please post up before you head out so I'll know the head count.

Ralph

esinger
10-18-2009, 02:51 AM
UPDATE, I just spoke to Polo (John) and we're calling it quits for the Asheville/BRP meet. Too many people pulled out and the weather is questionable.

Sorry, Ralph and Mike-NC.

esinger
10-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Hi Ralph, if your heading back home today and passing thru Greensboro we can still meet up if you want. Give me a call if that sounds good. Maybe was can still salvage a meet for today.

polo
10-18-2009, 03:13 AM
UPDATE, I just spoke to Polo (John) and we're calling it quits for the Asheville/BRP meet. Too many people pulled out and the weather questionable.

Sorry, Ralph and Mike-NC.

Yeah... sucks too! I was really looking forward to this one. I was out washing the car last night at 11:00 getting ready for the meet. Oh well, like Eric said, at least I've got a clean car :)

Well, hopefully our next meet generates a little more interest.

PMD G8
10-18-2009, 04:34 AM
Eric, sucks we couldn't pull this one off. Maybe next year we can try and get the G8's and GTO's together. Sorry, but I probably won't be able to stop in Greensboro, I'm giving another guy a ride back and I need to get on home to see my wife.

esinger
10-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Have a safe trip back and be sure to keep us posted about next years Dragon Run, I'm sure we can get a nice size group together between GTOs and G8s.

caretaker
10-18-2009, 05:31 AM
To bad you guys couldn't pull this off.
This is a live pic of the Woolly Worm Festival
at Banner Elk today. Looks like they did get a little snow.

http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_BannerElk.htm

PMD G8
10-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Would anybody be interested in doing something like what I did with the GTO guys sometime next spring? I myself stayed 3 nights in maggie valley at the motel where the GTO group stayed and we had 2-4 days worth of driving and site seeing events planned.

Some of the guys are talking about doing a spring Tail of the Dragon Run, so I'm just trying to gain some interest.

PMD G8
10-24-2009, 07:06 PM
BTW it was a good thing this didn't pan out. Found out later that day from the GTO group that the parkway was closed not to far past asheville heading towards GFather Mountain.

Also the day before on the Parkway South of Ashville we incountered a little bit of snow. :)

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/PMDG8/DSC_0654.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/PMDG8/DSC_0656.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/PMDG8/IMG_36021280x768.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/PMDG8/IMG_35821280x768.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/PMDG8/IMG_19311280x768.jpg

polo
10-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Would anybody be interested in doing something like what I did with the GTO guys sometime next spring? I myself stayed 3 nights in maggie valley at the motel where the GTO group stayed and we had 2-4 days worth of driving and site seeing events planned.

Some of the guys are talking about doing a spring Tail of the Dragon Run, so I'm just trying to gain some interest.

I'd be interested. It's just tough for me to take that many day off work, but I should at least be able to go for a day or two.

btw- nice snow pics!

BigV8
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes, great pics. Guess it made it difficult to see the color on the trees. LOL