PDA

View Full Version : Results: Kooks shorties, R-F, VMS tune

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
OK. I tried to scan in the timing slip along with the dyno run from VMS but couldn't. So, you guys are just going to have to trust me! Best run: 13.6 at 105 mph. Previous best stock run was about 1/2 second & over 4 mph slower. This is on a very warm Florida late afternoon with humidity still there. I'm figuring on a 55 degree day with no humidity I should be able to get down below 13.5 and with some help from the gods of wind be around 107 mph. I have decided that when a good cam package comes out, I'm going to take the plunge and have it done. That should put me over 110 mph and around 13 flat, at least that's what I'm looking for.

GeorgeInNePa
10-02-2008, 04:51 PM
OK. I tried to scan in the timing slip along with the dyno run from VMS but couldn't. So, you guys are just going to have to trust me! Best run: 13.6 at 105 mph. Previous best stock run was about 1/2 second & over 4 mph slower. This is on a very warm Florida late afternoon with humidity still there. I'm figuring on a 55 degree day with no humidity I should be able to get down below 13.5 and with some help from the gods of wind be around 107 mph. I have decided that when a good cam package comes out, I'm going to take the plunge and have it done. That should put me over 110 mph and around 13 flat, at least that's what I'm looking for.

Honestly, you should be faster.

What was your 60ft time? How did you launch it? Did you leave it in D or did you use Sport mode?

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Well, I tried them all! But the best run was in normal mode, traction control on, no power braking, holding it in 3rd gear through the traps. Runs were all very consistent, as you would expect at this level of tune. I was actually hoping for 13.3 at 107 or 108 but that was just not to be. These are not the Kooks LT's & that evidently does makes some difference.

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
By the way, Mike P has similar mods but went with the Kooks LT's. Otherwise we are similar, but I haven't seen an update from him on 1/4 mile time & speed since installing the LT's. But, with the R-F & VMS tune only, he improved about 2 mph and .25 seconds. So it seems like the improvements Mike got are in line with what I got considering my latest runs were with the Kooks shorties installed. My 60 ft. time was 2.157 & 1/8 mile was 8.879.

Panther 2
10-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Traction control on ,is not the way to launch. That explains your 60' times.The next time you go to the track, try launching with T/C off .

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I did & it made no difference whatsoever. I do think my 60 ft times should be a bit better. I did try traction control on, then off, even tried power braking a couple of runs, letting the trans shift to 4th gear, you name it, and none made any difference. It was a little disheartening to be trying all the different tricks I've read about or know about and having NONE of them make any difference.

GeorgeInNePa
10-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Without TC off, did you get tire spin? Off idle or power-braking? 2.15, 60ft times are not inline with tuned cars.

Did you let the car cool between runs?

g8_795
10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Without TC off, did you get tire spin? Off idle or power-braking? 2.15, 60ft times are not inline with tuned cars.

Did you let the car cool between runs?

I am thinking the same thing. Your car needs to cool down. If you had a cam and traction, you should be in the mid to high 12's. I think you need to work on the 60' quite a bit. That will improve everything.
-Robert

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
You have a good point there. At the drag strip where I go on Thursday night, sometimes there isn't even anyone else running. So I just go from run to run. Given my current set-up, what do think is the right way to run the car?

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I always got some tire spint, always.

GTPprix
10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
You cant keep hot lapping it, you are losing probably .5 a second right there. If you got tire spin at ALL with the TCS on you are dropping a TON of timing then gently ramping it back in, not good for ET's ;)

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 06:46 PM
OK. So, traction control on, sport or normal mode?, keep it in 3rd throught the traps, no power braking. Anything else?

GTPprix
10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Off, normal mode to launch and then switch to sport and hold third. IF you can hold it without hitting the rev limiter do that, otherwise just run normal and let it shift to fourth.

GeorgeInNePa
10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Keep the TCS OFF, always, at the strip.

Pedal it if you have to, but keep the TC off.

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys! They have another grudge night at the strip this Saturday morning. I'll give it another try and post the results. Hopefully, I'm a good student and will be able to apply well the tips you have given here. Thanks again.

GTPprix
10-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Good luck man!!!! :)

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks!

G8GTlawride
10-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Well, I tried them all! But the best run was in normal mode, traction control on, no power braking, holding it in 3rd gear through the traps. Runs were all very consistent, as you would expect at this level of tune. I was actually hoping for 13.3 at 107 or 108 but that was just not to be. These are not the Kooks LT's & that evidently does makes some difference.

The numbers don't look too bad. I think though the difference with the shorties and LT's are evident here. I think that you were told of the difference and all the performance gains the LT's offered. The LT's are FAR more power producing than shorties.

jbradsh1
10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Not according to the dyno. The LT's produce 27 rwhp and the shorties (Kook) produced 15. These numbers were produced on the same dyno, different day and/or time of day, and without other mods I believe.