PDA

View Full Version : cheap helmet for the track

who?me?
09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
does anybody know where I can find one? Once the weather and DA gets better I will be in the 13's all the time. So I will need to wear a helmet and was wondering if anybody know where I can get one cheap. Dont really want to spend more then I have to. Thanks for the help.

Devilish34
09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Define Cheap

who?me?
09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
well something that gets the job done at the lowest price. Still safe and meets the requirements but is not too expensive. I've looked on some websites but saw prices from $100-$1000. Just wondering if $100 is pretty much as good a price as im going to get or is there some website I havent seen that has one that is maybe 60 bucks? Money is really really tight right now and I know im only going to use it a handful of times a year. Im not one to cheap out on things trust me, but right now is not a good financial time for me. Once I get back on my feet im sure I would just end up putting this one up and buying the $300 one I really like.

done12many2
09-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Go find a used helmet, clean it out, and call it a day. I have seen some people wearing some sad shit at the track so you wont stand out too badly :)

locrzn#92
09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I just use a motorcycle helmet. Those are as good as any in my opinion. I wear an open faced version.

fiveoh
09-25-2009, 04:49 AM
I just use a motorcycle helmet. Those are as good as any in my opinion. I wear an open faced version.

This.

I bought one from walmart for $30-40.

polo
09-25-2009, 05:15 AM
I need to find me a helmet too. zMAX dragway here in Concord requires one for any car running under 13.99 seconds.

bracketracer
09-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Folks, be careful what helmet you spend your money on. It really depends on how picky the tech inspectors are at your track. Some tracks only care that you have one on your head, and they don't look at it too closely. Technically an IHRA or NHRA sanctioned track will be looking for a helmet with a Snell SA rating of 2000 or newer, and they can reject anything that doesn't meet the standard. I currently use a motorcycle helmet that says "Snell DOT Approved" on the back, and has a rating sticker inside that reads Snell M2000. Technically this helmet doesn't meet the requirements, and can be turned away. So far I have been lucky, and they haven't, but they have the right to. If you are only occasionally going to a Test-N-Tune, you'll probably get away with a motorcycle helmet (which is much cheaper), but if you will be racing even a couple of times per year, spend the extra money on a helmet that meets the safety standards. It's your melon they are trying to protect after all!

GT-610
09-25-2009, 12:04 PM
no such thing as a cheap helmut for me...thats like driving a car with cheap seatbelts or crappy brakes.

VERY BAD IDEA.spend the 200 or more,its your friggin head! :)

Chewy
09-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I saw Fulmer has some sweet ass old school metallic 70's looking open face helmets for sale. I think it's their anniversary so they brought them back. THAT would be cool!

00 Trans Ram
09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I was a Safety Steward for SCCA a few years back (never renewed my license). Here's what you need to know.

Almost any plastic thingy for your head can get a DOT rating. Look at those "WW1" looking helmets with spikes on top that motorcycle guys wear. Those are DOT approved. About the only thing they are good for is so that the paramedics have a nice container for your brains, instead of them being all over the road.

Snell is the standard for helmets, and there are 2 ratings. "M" stands for "Motorcycle". These helmets are tested for certain characteristics important to motorcycle riders. Then, you have "SA" which stands for "Special Application" (why they don't say "car", I don't know). These helmets are superior to M-rated ones.

Think about it logically. If you get in a wreck on a motorcycle, you'll hit the ground, but probably not much else. So, it has to withstand a single impact. Plus, there's no need to make it out of the strongest stuff in the world, as your body will not be able to withstand an impact of such force. But, in a car, your head will be hitting the window, the roof, the windshield, roll bars, and who knows what else. Plus, because your body is held in place (and not being hit by most things), the helmet has to withstand much higher impacts.

Now, I certainly understand the $$ vs quality arguement. My advice is to look for an M or SA 2000 that is used. When I say used, I mean that it has no scratches or blemishes. You do NOT want a helmet that has been dropped, impacted or anything like that. Snell only rates their helmets for the first "wreck".

But, I'd rather see someone in a good, used Snell helmet than a new DOT one. Check out ebay or racingjunk.com for some used stuff.

Also, check the NHRA/IHRA rules to see exactly what you need. You'd hate to buy an M-rated helmet only to be told you need SA. Remember, you will DEFINITELY save money if you only buy something slightly expensive once, rather than buying something cheap twice!

who?me?
09-25-2009, 06:58 PM
I appreciate all the advice and comments. Like I said my financial situation is really tight right now. I would be glad to spend the extra money if I could but right now is not the right time for me. I did say in post #3 that I was looking for something that met the safety requirements. I did learn something new with the m vs. sa. I think i will just look for a used one with sa rating required for racing.

bracketracer
09-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Matthew, thanks for pointing this out accurately from the perspective of a safety inspector!