PDA

View Full Version : 09203D: Front Suspension LCA Ball Joint Bulletin

Pages : [1] 2

SRG963
09-21-2009, 07:13 AM
New Bulletin

http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5437&stc=1&d=1253658721

http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5438&stc=1&d=1253658725

#09203A: Customer Satisfaction - Front Suspension Clicking/Knocking - (Sep 17, 2009)

Subject: 09203A -- Front Suspension Clicking/Knocking

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

This bulletin is being administered in phases due to part availability. This phase includes certain U.S. vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 09203, issued September 2009.

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOVEMBER 1, 2009 FOR CANADIAN VEHICLES AND DECEMBER 1, 2009 FOR U.S. VEHICLES.
Condition

Certain 2008-2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicles may have a condition in which the sealing boots on the front suspension lower control arm ball joints may not seal correctly in extreme cold temperatures. The material of the boot may become rigid in cold temperatures and could allow contaminants to enter the boot. This could cause premature wear of the ball joint, which could result in a clunking or rattling noise when the vehicle is driven over rough roads, wheels out of alignment, and/or premature tire wear.
Correction

Dealers are to repair the vehicle prior to the cold temperature season to prevent the possibility of the condition occurring.

Chewy
09-21-2009, 07:27 AM
The radius rod uses a very similar or identical BJ so what gives?

How do they "fix" the issue?

Chris

SRG963
09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
The radius rod uses a very similar or identical BJ so what gives?

How do they "fix" the issue?

Chris

Sounds like they just add or replace the boot and leave the "fix" up to the dealership :(

GM needs to issue a recall on this IMO.

TrUcKeR
09-21-2009, 07:49 AM
If my G8 stays garaged all winter, and not driven, should I still get this done?

SRG963
09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
If my G8 stays garaged all winter, and not driven, should I still get this done?

Only saw snow 2 days and I didn't drive in it, car stayed garaged. My LCA rattle started a month ago, around 28k and 1 1/2 years of usage.

Chewy
09-21-2009, 08:15 AM

Couldn't hurt...

Just about guarantee you that it'll still go bad. They are junk when they're new. Not NEARLY tight enough.

Although maybe this is why AU isn't seeing the issue. NO SNOW!

Chris

jnak
09-21-2009, 08:48 AM
That's good to know. I'm still waiting for my passenger side lca. I wonder if they'll re-fix the driver side while they're at it?

majesticix
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
They better now that I've read up. I was just at the dealer today and they said they were ordering up a new ball joint but said they are on backorder. I'll be sure to print this out the day they call so I don't have to go back next year.

fiveoh
09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I wonder how cold it has to get to mess this up.

Chewy
09-21-2009, 12:21 PM
They better now that I've read up. I was just at the dealer today and they said they were ordering up a new ball joint but said they are on backorder. I'll be sure to print this out the day they call so I don't have to go back next year.

Been waiting 3 weeks so far and Greg has NO word on where it is... :hang:

Could be a couple of months... Why not... I hate this POS right now.

Screw GM.

Greg@PacePerformance
09-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Chris,
I did a little more digging on your part. GM says I will have it by 9/28 but I don't see that happening.

For all non SPAC orders (i.e. general stock) GM is saying 11/2 for delivery.
I will update you if I hear anything else.
-Greg

Chewy
09-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Looks like I was right! FUCK ME! GM... You've lost my business for the next go round...

Chris

J Wikoff
09-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Why does the program end before it gets cold and people find the problem? Can we go in and just say we want it done, rattle or no rattle, before it ends?

Panzer Leader
09-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Getting really tired of this BS from GM. So what do they attribute the LCA failure to those of us living here in the south?

Chewy
09-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Your car was probably shipped in a freezer...

lol

It doesn't matter as we can't get the damn parts anyway...

Chris

Slizzo
09-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Your car was probably shipped in a freezer...

lol

It doesn't matter as we can't get the damn parts anyway...

Chris

Chris, I do hate to say this, but all of us took a gamble by buying a car that was imported.

This would be much the same I would imagine if we owned, say, a BMW or the likes that isn't assembled in the US, and doesn't have common parts on our shores to source parts from.

In short; it's our own damned faults really for buying the car in the first place. GM never guaranteed that they would have parts available for this car on our shores.

On that note, is the part the same on the Camaro? Or are their suspension setups different enough from our cars?

Chewy
09-22-2009, 10:06 AM
My dads M5 was made in Germany and he's had ZERO issues with it. His last M went through a clutch and they had it here in the US ready to pop in. Amazing!

GM failed IMO. Again. I had hoped.

I'd still like to own this car for an extended period past the lease. I just don't know if it's economically feasible with the cost of parts and the lack of availability. With it being obsolete, A/M manufacturers aren't going to support it. Why would they? The Camaro is there new market.

Chris

Slizzo
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
My dads M5 was made in Germany and he's had ZERO issues with it. His last M went through a clutch and they had it here in the US ready to pop in. Amazing!
Chris

Like I said, that car, though made in Germany, still has a lot of common parts here in the states due to some of the manufacturing going on over here.

There isn't a plant anywhere in the US that makes a Zeta platform car (discounting Oshawa in Canada now making the Camaro), therefore all the parts will be sitting in Aus. be default anyway.

SRG963
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Updated first post, thanks to Monaro for the info.

Chewy
09-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Updated first post, thanks to Monaro for the info.

All I see is a quote box!

CanuckG8
09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Wow - I was in my G8 driving to work this morning and the radio cut-out for an On-Star announcement - it told me that GM has just issued a repair Bulletin for my G8 and I should call the dealer promptly. I just called the dealership and it is for the #09203A Sealing Boot issue. I will be booking it in ASAP to get it done before Nov. 1/09. I would think that they would still honor it after that date as long as you have contacted the dealership and they have the parts on order. Will be interesting to see how quickly they get the parts!:Canada::windy:

T-Type
09-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Sounds like they just add or replace the boot and leave the "fix" up to the dealership :(

GM needs to issue a recall on this IMO.

They did issue a recall, you posted it! :lol:

NYG8GT
09-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Chris, I do hate to say this, but all of us took a gamble by buying a car that was imported.

This would be much the same I would imagine if we owned, say, a BMW or the likes that isn't assembled in the US, and doesn't have common parts on our shores to source parts from.

In short; it's our own damned faults really for buying the car in the first place. GM never guaranteed that they would have parts available for this car on our shores.

On that note, is the part the same on the Camaro? Or are their suspension setups different enough from our cars?

Like I said, that car, though made in Germany, still has a lot of common parts here in the states due to some of the manufacturing going on over here.

There isn't a plant anywhere in the US that makes a Zeta platform car (discounting Oshawa in Canada now making the Camaro), therefore all the parts will be sitting in Aus. be default anyway.

This is the worst excuse ever. As consumers, it is not our problem that parts are not readily available because if distance issues. We purchased their product expecting they are able to service it if the need arises. They have been making this car for what, a few years now? It only just recently reached our shores, but the vehicle has been in AU and the Middle East now long enough to where there should be stock piles of parts that just need to be shipped. UPS and FedEx are around for a reason. Its really sad that CP can get me parts from Oz in 2 weeks, but GM cant do it in a month. They can go fuck themselves with their bullshit excuses as far as Im concerned.

-Ray-
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
They did issue a recall, you posted it! :lol:

It wasn't a recall. It's a TSB.

J Wikoff
09-23-2009, 03:44 PM
So, if they say they'll make the repair for no charge before December 1st, does that mean they won't warranty the ball joints after that if you don't get the repair because you/we/ME didn't take the recommended action?

Panzer Leader
09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I know a lot of folks don't think it has anything to do with the temperture. However, it may hasten the failure rate. (Thus GM is trying to get those cars in the coldest areas done first)But in my opinion, this problem will eventually affect ALL G8s. I am glad I got that extended warranty. (Bumper to Bumper for 75k) Hopefully this will correct the problem. Just in case I will probably go with the Pedders. But I want to see some spec comparisons first. No matter, mine is going up on the rack tomorrow to be checked by my private tech.

polo
09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
This is the worst excuse ever. As consumers, it is not our problem that parts are not readily available because if distance issues. We purchased their product expecting they are able to service it if the need arises. They have been making this car for what, a few years now? It only just recently reached our shores, but the vehicle has been in AU and the Middle East now long enough to where there should be stock piles of parts that just need to be shipped. UPS and FedEx are around for a reason. Its really sad that CP can get me parts from Oz in 2 weeks, but GM cant do it in a month. They can go fuck themselves with their bullshit excuses as far as Im concerned.

I agree. We bought our cars in America, from an American car company. It's not our fault they chose to make these in Australia and rebadge them.

I bet there are many G8 owners that have no idea that their car was not made in the USA, or atleast didn't find out until after they bought their car. I doubt many car salesmen use "it's not made in America, so parts may be hard to come by" as their sales pitch.

T-Type
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
It wasn't a recall. It's a TSB.

If I'm wrong, my apologies. However in my defense the document talks about customers getting letters in the mail. I did not think they sent customers letters for TSBs. They also reference something called "GM Global Connect Recall Reports".

Link to entire document (http://www.jhp.com.au/W/09203A.pdf)

J Wikoff
09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I've read the repair procedure. I've got two problems:

1. The prevailing torque nut is specified as one-time use only. But for some reason on page 2, it is ok to reuse it during this repair only?

2. Step 8, page 7: Use a "clean" screwdriver to scrape the grease from the old boot and apply it to the ball joint housing? Wha?? Isn't preventing contamination the whole point? Why on earth would it be a good idea to reuse a couple ounces of grease that may already be contaminated? Am I misunderstanding what they are doing with it?

I have a suspiscion that the people writing this didn't understand the issue...

majesticix
09-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Curious, it doesn't say they will be replacing the lower control arm for vehicles...while it is probably not a huge concern for new G8s...but for 08's or early 09's that have seen cold weather, their ball joint life may already be compromised. I know at least one of mine is shot...I'll be sure to find out if they are going to replace both sides.

T-Type
09-23-2009, 07:44 PM

1. The prevailing torque nut is specified as one-time use only. But for some reason on page 2, it is ok to reuse it during this repair only?

Yea, I noticed that too. I'm giving GM the benefit of the doubt and say that reusing that bolt was looked at and approved by an engineer.

WickedMom
09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
There are cars in California that have never seen anything colder than 50ish degrees that have the noises in the front end. I do not think these are the same noises...

Anyway, I havent tried to do any of these yet.... the expiration date is for cars that are out of warranty. Those of us with warranties have no reason to worry until the 3yr/36k mark or expiration of an extended warranty.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Pontiac G8 provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

T-Type
09-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Anyway, I havent tried to do any of these yet.... the expiration date is for cars that are out of warranty. Those of us with warranties have no reason to worry until the 3yr/36k mark or expiration of an extended warranty.

Ohhhhhh, that makes sense. I was wondering why they had such a short time period to get this done.

-Ray-
09-24-2009, 02:43 AM
If I'm wrong, my apologies. However in my defense the document talks about customers getting letters in the mail. I did not think they sent customers letters for TSBs. They also reference something called "GM Global Connect Recall Reports".

Link to entire document (http://www.jhp.com.au/W/09203A.pdf)

No apologies needed.
I find a couple things interesting. First, I don't remember ever seeing a bulletin that had "recall" language in it. Second, there is no mention of "special" vin numbered G8's.
Thanks for posting the doc.

Chooch
09-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Well after going through the passneger side fix Beginning of September, I have to get a oil change saturday and will had for them when they rotate tires, check every ball joint in the front end for sure. They find one kinda loose, going to have them order asap before it gets bad.

Greg@PacePerformance
09-24-2009, 06:14 AM
We just got our "fix" kit in today.
It includes new boots and spring clips only.

Chewy
09-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Nice... This is something ELSE I need to have done... Ugh...

Chris

Perhaps
09-26-2009, 06:06 PM

2. Step 8, page 7: Use a "clean" screwdriver to scrape the grease from the old boot and apply it to the ball joint housing? Wha?? Isn't preventing contamination the whole point? Why on earth would it be a good idea to reuse a couple ounces of grease that may already be contaminated? Am I misunderstanding what they are doing with it?

I have a suspiscion that the people writing this didn't understand the issue...

Also, a supposed alignment should be done. With play in the ball joint, they are not doing the job correctly and/or safely.

It's a half-assed solution for the moment. At least they are checking the grease for contaminents before the eventual joint failure.

T-Type
09-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Also, a supposed alignment should be done. With play in the ball joint, they are not doing the job correctly and/or safely.

It's a half-assed solution for the moment. At least they are checking the grease for contaminents before the eventual joint failure.

If the ball joint is bad/has play, why wouldn't a tech replace it? The document doesn't say not to replace the ball joints.

Chewy
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Well Greg at Pace received my new radius rod off the slow boat from AU so I should have it some time next week and then I have to press in the Pedders bushings and install it. Then I need to setup an appointment to get the rubbers all replaced under this bulletin. Whoopie!

NYG8GT
09-30-2009, 04:18 PM
4GASEM, were you waiting on a factory balljoint from GM for warranty work? I just learned today that mine came in yesterday and theyre going to install it tomorrow. I remember you saying somewhere (maybe this thread, dont have time right now to read it all) that you were being dicked around.

Chewy
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
4GASEM, were you waiting on a factory balljoint from GM for warranty work? I just learned today that mine came in yesterday and theyre going to install it tomorrow. I remember you saying somewhere (maybe this thread, dont have time right now to read it all) th

at you were being dicked around.

It took nearly 1 month to get it. I think it took 29 days. Now I have to get the updated bj rubbers.

NYG8GT
10-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Wow, Im glad I didnt bring mine in then back when I should have lol. Although it was bad enough to where they said I couldnt drive on it, so they gave me a G6 for the past week and a half.

I hope this is the complete fix theyre going to do and I dont need anything else. The next time this thing goes to a dealer is going to be for the 2-3 flare I think.

majesticix
10-01-2009, 07:03 AM
the latest TCM should fix the 2-3 flare. I just got mine fixed...though Mike seems to think I may have a mechanical problem with the tranny since he couldn't get my 2-3 to shift as quick as before.

Chewy
10-01-2009, 07:29 AM
From what everyone says it's the leaking o-ring. I think Mike just put a band-aid on it.

Just my .02¢

KEV-O
10-01-2009, 08:18 AM
just had my B/J recall done today, scheduled an appointment yesterday, and went in this morning, took a total of about 3 hours

majesticix
10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
From what everyone says it's the leaking o-ring. I think Mike just put a band-aid on it.

Just my .02¢

I hope your right. Sure beats replacing the tranny.

NYG8GT
10-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Well, fuck my life. I just called the dealership because I havent heard from anyone yet, and I guess the part they got in 2 days ago was the wrong part, and the guy I talked to last night wasnt aware of that. So theyre still waiting. This is fucking bullshit. Im calling the DM myself next week and giving him hell if they dont have anything in by then. I dont care if they need to buy a Moog joint to install until they can find the factory part, I want my god damn car back.

Chewy
10-01-2009, 01:28 PM
LOL I wish it was as that easy! I waited a month my friend... Get used to it. It'll only get worse!

Panzer Leader
10-02-2009, 01:15 PM
If you are calling for parts ans service, Press 1 for Cadillac, Press 2 for Chevy, Press 3 for Buick Press Out of Luck for Pontiac and Oldsmobile.

NYG8GT
10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
LOL I wish it was as that easy! I waited a month my friend... Get used to it. It'll only get worse!

Thats why I am HIGHLY contemplating selling this fucking pile next summer, or maybe even this winter. The hard part is finding something 4 doors and RWD to replace it. All of the liberal commie pole smoking tree huggers decided that to brainwash people in to thinking FWD is the way to go, so finding something within my requirements and price range (20k or less) is very difficult. I have a feeling Im just going to piss on my life and buy an Accord or something. At least theyre A)reliable and B)have plenty of parts available within 2 days, let alone 2+ weeks. Fuck GM, they're never getting my money after this. I was going to look in to the new Equinox for the wife, but they dont deserve a single penny from me. I'd rather buy a Ford at this rate :flame:

-Ray-
10-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Why wait till next summer?

Panzer Leader
10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Its NOT that bad. But it is pretty annoying at times.

jeffs42885
10-02-2009, 03:56 PM
thats why i am highly contemplating selling this fucking pile next summer, or maybe even this winter. The hard part is finding something 4 doors and rwd to replace it. All of the liberal commie pole smoking tree huggers decided that to brainwash people in to thinking fwd is the way to go, so finding something within my requirements and price range (20k or less) is very difficult. I have a feeling im just going to piss on my life and buy an accord or something. At least theyre a)reliable and b)have plenty of parts available within 2 days, let alone 2+ weeks. Fuck gm, they're never getting my money after this. I was going to look in to the new equinox for the wife, but they dont deserve a single penny from me. I'd rather buy a ford at this rate :flame:

Chewy
10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
My plan is to take mine to Modern Muscle and have the Pedders Ball Joints installed in the spring hopefully eliminating this from happening again.

Chris

nonexistent
10-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I got a call from my dealer today saying he isn't expecting the parts to come in until after the 20th of this month. And it's been at least a month already since I brought it in, so that's going to be a total of 2 months waiting. Hopefully it does get here by then. Good luck to everyone else!

Chewy
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Greg thought the same thing and they came in sooner... Who knows... GM sucks!

NYG8GT
10-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Why wait till next summer?
I really dont want to be test driving cars in the cold and snowy/wet weather. Also, the wife and I just found out last week that we're expecting our first child, so I'll have a better idea of what my budget is. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep it through April 2011 when the warranty is up, it's all a toss up right now :wacko:

I got a call from my dealer today saying he isn't expecting the parts to come in until after the 20th of this month. And it's been at least a month already since I brought it in, so that's going to be a total of 2 months waiting. Hopefully it does get here by then. Good luck to everyone else!
See, THAT is bullshit. NOBODY deserves to be without their car for 2 months without any sort of compensation. I pay 390 bucks a month, so about 13 bucks a day, for my car, and as of next Monday thats going to be 182 bucks out of MY pocket for something I cant use because of GM's utterly disgusting negligence, and that amount is most likely going to increase because I dont see me getting my car back by Monday. As I have said before, they sell this platform all over the fucking world, how is a stupid ball joint so damn hard to find and get shipped here?

polo
10-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Also, the wife and I just found out last week that we're expecting our first child

Congrats on the baby! :woohoo:

Chewy
10-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I really dont want to be test driving cars in the cold and snowy/wet weather. Also, the wife and I just found out last week that we're expecting our first child, so I'll have a better idea of what my budget is. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep it through April 2011 when the warranty is up, it's all a toss up right now :wacko:

See, THAT is bullshit. NOBODY deserves to be without their car for 2 months without any sort of compensation. I pay 390 bucks a month, so about 13 bucks a day, for my car, and as of next Monday thats going to be 182 bucks out of MY pocket for something I cant use because of GM's utterly disgusting negligence, and that amount is most likely going to increase because I dont see me getting my car back by Monday. As I have said before, they sell this platform all over the fucking world, how is a stupid ball joint so damn hard to find and get shipped here?

Glad someone is on board with me here... Most here just think I am over reacting... Until you have to drive for a couple of months with this sound you wouldn't understand.

vert
10-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Glad someone is on board with me here... Most here just think I am over reacting... Until you have to drive for a couple of months with this sound you wouldn't understand.

I had my pass side replaced in July and they had it for just a week and that was long enough. Now it goes in for the drivers side Monday and I told the service manager to do the write up and give me my car back since the part is on back order. I am afraid they will try and keep it since it has been banging rattling vibrating for a month. I have been putting it off hoping GM would step up and ship a shit load to the states to cover their blunder, but oh well .

NYG8GT
10-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Honestly, I wouldnt be as pissed as I am if they at least gave me another G8 to roll around in, I'd probably be happy with a V6 model at this point. Instead I'm stuck driving around in some piece of shit G6 who's only advantage is its quick warm up on the chilly mornings we've been having here. The thing only has 1200 miles on it and the front brakes are already making a grinding noise! Hell based on that alone I wouldn't consider another GM product, how pathetic is it when a brand new car already makes grinding sounds from the brakes when coming to a stop. Not to mention the front seat is awful, I'm a thing build and the bolsters pinch the hell out of my ass. I have to shift my weight 10 times on my 15 minute/7 mile drive to and from work every day. But you know if I were to demand I get one of those G8's sitting on the lot as a loaner they would straight up laugh at me despite the fact it's GM's fault they have my car for so long to begin with.

I didn't hear from the service writer yesterday and didn't have the chance to call him before 5, so I'm going to call Monday and demand to speak with the DM to find out what the hell is going on.

majesticix
10-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Mine's getting louder and more obnoxious. Still drivable though for now...

NYG8GT
10-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Does your steering wheel shake when you apply the brakes? That's probably the point you would want to avoid driving the car, for your safety, your family's safety, and the safety of others sharing the road with you. If that thing pops and youre doing 50mph, it wont exactly end well lol.

-Ray-
10-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Steering wheel shake while braking doesn't indicate a ball joint issue. Uneven tire wear will though.

vert
10-04-2009, 07:00 AM
When I passenger side started to act up I just started my trip down to Florida and put around 2,200 miles on it before it went to the shop. My drivers side has only been making a noise for 600 miles. My steering wheel has started to shake when braking and I wonder if it is enhanced since the steering shaft is on the drivers side. Find out tomorrow.

NYG8GT
10-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Steering wheel shake while braking doesn't indicate a ball joint issue. Uneven tire wear will though.

:okay: Tell that to my evenly worn tires and blown out passenger side ball joint, where, you guessed it! The shake is coming from ::facepalm: :eyeroll:

-Ray-
10-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I can edit if you want, or rephrase it for you.
Wheel shake while braking doesn't ALWAYS indicate worn ball joints.
Does that work for you?
BTW, this isn't my 1st rodeo with a car.

majesticix
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
No steering wheel shake or any car shake at this point ( and I had plenty of shakes on my old cavalier driving on a pair of bent rims :)

Car rides pretty smooth (though I admit not as smooth as the 1500 mile G8 I drove yesterday at the track). Right now it is just noisy at low speeds going over bumps.

NYG8GT
10-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I can edit if you want, or rephrase it for you.
Wheel shake while braking doesn't ALWAYS indicate worn ball joints.
Does that work for you?
BTW, this isn't my 1st rodeo with a car.

I guess that works better, had you phrased it like that to begin with, your initial statement would have made a bit more sense. And I wasn't trying to imply that wheel shake while braking indicates worn ball joints, I dont know where you got that idea. Regardless, it really has no context with what I was saying, since majesticx has already indicated he has a failing ball joint, and when he said it was getting more obnoxious I asked him about the shake, since that is what I started experiencing as I put more miles on the car since August, when I first noticed the noise.

Not my first rodeo either boss ;)

majesticix
10-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Well hopefully they get some parts in shortly...got an 800 mile round trip ahead of me next week! I'm sure 81S will put a hefty beating my on my suspension. Damn construction work is a nightmare every time.

-Ray-
10-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I guess that works better, had you phrased it like that to begin with, your initial statement would have made a bit more sense. And I wasn't trying to imply that wheel shake while braking indicates worn ball joints, I dont know where you got that idea. Regardless, it really has no context with what I was saying, since majesticx has already indicated he has a failing ball joint, and when he said it was getting more obnoxious I asked him about the shake, since that is what I started experiencing as I put more miles on the car since August, when I first noticed the noise.

Not my first rodeo either boss ;)

Ok

Chewy
10-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I had a wicked shimmy in my wheel when I'd hit rough patches in a corner when my lower ball joints were loose. With my radius rod BJ's it just makes noise.

I had/have no shimmy when braking.

G8GT04093
10-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey guys i been reading about the Recall here. I got my onstar notification the other day and its going in tomorrow. They said it will take 3 to 4hrs. I was wondering what is it going to intail and will this affect the alignment? Has anyone had it done and how did it go? Thank you

KEV-O
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
they will be doing an alignment also when they replace the suspension parts
i was in and out in less than 3 hours

NYG8GT
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I just talked to the service writer at the dealership my car is at, and he said that they have in-fact redesigned the whole arm, and theyre waiting for a bunch to be shipped directly from Australia. I asked if they had the old part anywhere to get me by, and apparently there arent any of those in the country either. Nobody knows when the next batch of new parts will be here though. The service director at the dealership needs to call some Division parts supply guy or something for status in 3 days. So at the moment, I'm still dead in the fucking water thanks to GM's gross negligence and our countrys bullshit security measures that hold overseas shipments for days/weeks on end. Yee fuckin haaa.

My question is WHY did these arms need to be redesigned? If the Holden cars have had no issues, what the fuck is the difference between theirs and ours?

Needless to say, I'm looking at used Accords right now. This thing isn't worth the hassle, I have other things in life that should be stressing me out more than this.

SRG963
10-05-2009, 12:12 PM
....waiting to take my car in until I know parts are in the US....
Thanks to those who are keeping us updated!

Crazy Paul
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Nobody knows when the next batch of new parts will be here though. The service director at the dealership needs to call some Division parts supply guy or something for status in 3 days.

When I checked on Availability of the new part numbers a few weeks back I was told they wont be available on Holden shelves in Australia until 23rd October.

vert
10-05-2009, 04:00 PM
When I checked on Availability of the new part numbers a few weeks back I was told they wont be available on Holden shelves in Australia until 23rd October.

My service manager said the part is on order and it should be available in a few days:lies: I told him I have read all over the net the part in on back order from Australia and it has a new part number. He comes forward and says" We replaced one a couple of months ago and it took 18 days" so it might be a while. They have grounded my car since the joint was too bad to drive and now I have to call them in the morning for a rental.
They gave me the run around when I had my pass. side replaced in July and said they were out of rentals. I had to go a week without a new vehicle. I still had my stang to drive, but it is not a DD.

NYG8GT
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
FUCK :spank: :spank: :spank: :hang:

They have grounded my car since the joint was too bad to drive and now I have to call them in the morning for a rental.

Same here, complete bullshit. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :poof::poof::poof:

Panzer Leader
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Wait a minute! What is this new control arm stuff? I thought it was only a rubber boot. Seems as I remember posting awhile back that with the new p/n could be a new design though some said new vendor. I would prefer the Pedders but I am not sure if they are still going to produce new ones. Anyone heard anything on those? I don't know what the hell to believe now. And I don't think, the service departments at the dealers, know anything more than what we do.

R.Penguin
10-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I just talked to the service writer at the dealership my car is at, and he said that they have in-fact redesigned the whole arm, and theyre waiting for a bunch to be shipped directly from Australia. I asked if they had the old part anywhere to get me by, and apparently there arent any of those in the country either. Nobody knows when the next batch of new parts will be here though. The service director at the dealership needs to call some Division parts supply guy or something for status in 3 days. So at the moment, I'm still dead in the fucking water thanks to GM's gross negligence and our countrys bullshit security measures that hold overseas shipments for days/weeks on end. Yee fuckin haaa.

My question is WHY did these arms need to be redesigned? If the Holden cars have had no issues, what the fuck is the difference between theirs and ours?

Needless to say, I'm looking at used Accords right now. This thing isn't worth the hassle, I have other things in life that should be stressing me out more than this.
Aw, fuck it! I'm gonna drive it like I stole it until the whole front end tanks at about 104mph on the strip. Then, once I'm scraped off the track my wife can sue the bastards so she won't have to marry that fat bastard that keeps slobbering over her at work.

That'll fix 'em boy! I can hardly wait! That will show them who's boss! :hang:

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 04:04 AM
And I don't think, the service departments at the dealers, know anything more than what we do.
This is correct, they dont know any more than what we do. As I said, the service director at this dealership needs to call some higher level of GM's parts supply division to get an update. This is waaay above the dealers at this point. Hell, with CP on here letting us know what he knows, I think WE have an edge above the dealers lol. I'll bring it up when I talk to them on Thursday and let them know what he mentioned about Oct 23rd to see if they have similar information.

Aw, fuck it! I'm gonna drive it like I stole it until the whole front end tanks at about 104mph on the strip. Then, once I'm scraped off the track my wife can sue the bastards so she won't have to marry that fat bastard that keeps slobbering over her at work.

That'll fix 'em boy! I can hardly wait! That will show them who's boss! :hang:

Ummmm, what? Ok?

Chewy
10-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Words from people not having the issues and having to drive with a loud enough clunk that people on the streets look at you as you drive by...

Wait till it's your turn and you have to wait 1 month to get a part.

Chris

vert
10-06-2009, 05:40 AM
I have located several used LCA's which would get my car back on the road until the ship comes in. The bad thing is they are going for 85 bucks and the part will fail sooner or later.
I guess I should just cruise in the rental, beat the hell out of it and save miles on my G8. I hope this rental wont stall when doing a reverse to drive full throttle drop. I am off to get the rental, wonder what it will be.

vert
10-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Then, once I'm scraped off the track my wife can sue the bastards so she won't have to marry that fat bastard that keeps slobbering over her at work.

Sorry, but I am not fat!!!:nah:

Panzer Leader
10-06-2009, 06:29 AM
I just hope that the ship makes it through the submarine infested waters of the Pacific Ocean. Because that will be GM's next excuse, I can read it now, "GM Resupply ship sunk off the coast of California. Japanesse submarine or enraged Penquins suspected in sinking"

vert
10-06-2009, 06:32 AM
I just hope that the ship makes it through the submarine infested waters of the Pacific Ocean. Because that will be GM's next excuse, I can read it now, "GM Resupply ship sunk off the coast of California. Japanesse submarine or enraged Penquins suspected in sinking"

LOL or Pirates seize the boat.

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm going to flip shit if I find out theyre sending these over via boat instead of air freight. Absolutely no reason these things cant be sent over on a jet. God I'm so fucking pissed. UGH. The last time I was this pissed at a car was when I owned a DSM. What the fuck.

johnh
10-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Wait till it's your turn and you have to wait 1 month to get a part.

Really? Hmm..my car isn't driveable because of this...starting to smell lemons..

G8GT594
10-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Really? Hmm..my car isn't driveable because of this...starting to smell lemons..

Or class action lawsuit.

Panzer Leader
10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
or class action lawsuit.

yep!

vert
10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Or class action lawsuit.

I was wondering when that was going to be mentioned.

vert
10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I picked up my rental thinking it would be a G6/5 and I ended up with a crewcab 4X4 silverado. I guess I won't be saving any dough on gas. I can't decide which gets the better traction in the rain cause I know the truck likes to throw the rearend out.
Enterprise said I can return it for an impala tomorrow, but I think I will have some fun with it plus I need to pick up drywall.

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Wow, kinda surprised they put you in a rental instead of a dealer loaner. I got stuck with a G6, but its the dealers car registered to them, not a rental. The only good thing about it is I'm saving gas at the rate of 6-7mpg right now. But god damn its slow as balls :(

Chewy
10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
The only good thing about it is I'm saving gas at the rate of 6-7mpg right now.

As the price of gas drops... :hang:

The LAST thing I want is MY G8 sitting outside for a month or more waiting on parts. NO WAY NO HOW! I would tell them I am parking it in my garage before I did that.

Chris

vert
10-06-2009, 09:42 AM
As the price of gas drops... :hang:

The LAST thing I want is MY G8 sitting outside for a month or more waiting on parts. NO WAY NO HOW! I would tell them I am parking it in my garage before I did that.

Chris

I talked with my service manager and he said he would keep it inside for the most part. Only time he would pull it out is when they are receiving in new vehicles to prep. He said it will always be in the garage at night and If he does not keep his word, I have another set of keys.

Chewy
10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I am so anal that I won't start any of my cars to move them short distances... Yeah I know... I push them out of my garage if I am just needing them out of the way...

I know... Loser...

lol

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Hmm, I wonder if they'd let me bring mine home and garage it. It'd give me a good reason to finally clean the garage out and make room for it for the winter time. I really dont like the fact that it sits out there every night, I dont think they put it in the shop. If it's going to be weeks until the parts home, I would definitely feel more at ease with the car at my own house.

vert
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Hmm, I wonder if they'd let me bring mine home and garage it. It'd give me a good reason to finally clean the garage out and make room for it for the winter time. I really dont like the fact that it sits out there every night, I dont think they put it in the shop. If it's going to be weeks until the parts home, I would definitely feel more at ease with the car at my own house.

My service manager kind of acted like I could bring it home when I inquired about not wanting it to sit outside. You might put it like you are doing them a favor since your car is taking up room on the lot. Not to mention if it was to get damaged, it would cause more issues for them.

Chewy
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Just a door ding would make it worth it for me. People are stupid... All it takes is something very minor to piss me off though...

lol

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah I think on Thursday if they tell me that I'm still going to be waiting for another week or more that I'm going to request they let me bring the car home. Maybe it'll make me feel a little better at least being able to look at it lol.

vert
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Just a door ding would make it worth it for me. People are stupid... All it takes is something very minor to piss me off though...

lol

Hmmmm got me thinking about that. A door ding to me is not minor and the 1st time it happened I said every word in the book to the dumbass. Bad thing was that he didn't have enough sense to realize he did anything wrong.

steined
10-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Well I noticed steering wheel shake while braking today... I'm going to take it in but I have low expectations. Being under 12K miles and under 1 year, they should turn the rotors for free. Is this recall related to the cold weather strut mount noise that the car makes while turning? Or is that something else? Good thing I have 3 cars...

vert
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Well I noticed steering wheel shake while braking today... I'm going to take it in but I have low expectations. Being under 12K miles and under 1 year, they should turn the rotors for free. Is this recall related to the cold weather strut mount noise that the car makes while turning? Or is that something else? Good thing I have 3 cars...

Could be a rotor or it could be the lower ball joint. Did you check to see if the tire has any play once it is off the ground.

johnh
10-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah I think on Thursday if they tell me that I'm still going to be waiting for another week or more that I'm going to request they let me bring the car home. Maybe it'll make me feel a little better at least being able to look at it lol.

They can keep mine...at day 25 I will be requesting a refund of my purchase price per michigan lemon law.

Really I just want it fixed so I can drive it, but this just sucks its been in the shop more than any other 3 cars (all GM) that I've owned.

Chewy
10-09-2009, 10:45 AM
OK well I got a hold of Greg at Pace and he's going to get me the ball joint boots that go with this bulletin. I'll replace them myself. It won't take long and then I can add new grease to them and don't have to have my car at the dealers. They cost a whopping 18 bucks shipped.

Panzer Leader
10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
UPDATE. Dealer inspected my car. Found no problems with the LCA. He stated that this problem is confined to the cold areas of the U.S. and Canada. (Namely you snow shoveling Yankees) Well right, must be confined north of some imaginary line. Anyway, he is ordering in the new boots (Obviously snow boots) for my car. However, since he is a Pedders Dealer I asked about the new Pedders Ball joints. He has not heard anything at this point. He also said that GM was going to issue a notice suggesting that all northern area G8 owners drive south for the winter. Hey, it makes about as much sense as anything else.

WickedMom
10-09-2009, 11:13 AM
UPDATE. Dealer inspected my car. Found no problems with the LCA. He stated that this problem is confined to the cold areas of the U.S. and Canada.

You should show him this bulletin...

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=11345

Chewy
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey Jessika, You have the special tool they use to install these boots? Can you take a picture? I was thinking I'd just use a pick or small screw driver to remove the spring and and reinstall...

Chris

ashaal
10-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I have never contacted a dealer about a TSB before and as of yet I don't seem to have any problems with my LCA...However living up by the winters can be pretty bad and I would like to get this fixed before the November deadline....do I just call my dealer and say hey I read TSB xxxxx and want the issue addressed before winter?

WickedMom
10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I just went up and looked, couldnt find it... tool inventory shows we have 2 of them though. I will keep looking for it.

NYG8GT
10-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, I'm still waiting for an update. Called yesterday, and the rep told the director to call him today. I just called, and he still hasnt made the call. As of Monday, my car will have been sitting in their lot for 3 weeks. That's $273 and counting for the amount I have spent on a car that I can not drive due to manufacturer negligence. Faaaantastic!

WickedMom
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I looked up all the replacement control arms and they are all on backorder.

mega-sigh, at least we are going in the right direction...

NYG8GT
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm about ready to tell them I just want my fucking car back and they can have it when they get the part in. If it fails while I'm driving it, insurance can pay for it and go after GM for the money or something. It nobodies fault but GM's that this is even happening the way it is.

NYG8GT
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok got off the phone, and it looks like one arm will be in on Monday, and another arm middle of next week. I guess both of them were shot, I thought it was just the passenger side. So hopefully, after 3.5 weeks, I'll finally have my car back.

Panzer Leader
10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I looked up all the replacement control arms and they are all on backorder.

mega-sigh, at least we are going in the right direction...

Oh great lady you are correct. I know you are enduring a lot of BS on this issue. Stay the course all will be well. As a friend of mine (a young Captain once radioed in the following report) "Lost, BUT making good time." This too shall pass. Damn cold weather, only Penquins love it!:windy:

vert
10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok got off the phone, and it looks like one arm will be in on Monday, and another arm middle of next week. I guess both of them were shot, I thought it was just the passenger side. So hopefully, after 3.5 weeks, I'll finally have my car back.

That is great news, glad to hear it. I am ready for my car back after driving the Silverado tank around. I thought the G8 got bad gas mileage, wow this thing sucks it down. My fault since I keep trying to make it go as fast as my G8.

TouchOfGray
10-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Hopefully some good news on this. I have been waiting 3+ weeks for the passenger side LCA (had the driver side done in August), and got the call it's in. When I showed up at the dealer they told me there was a new bulletin (?) and that they are actually going to change all 4 control arms. Apparently even the one they changed in August.

I left the car with them tonight and should get it back tomorrow. Had to give them the alignment numbers for the Pedders. They should be able to get it all set up with the new arms all around. The service writer didn't know if it was a different design, manufacturer, or anything specific... I will talk with the mechanic tomorrow and see if he can tell if it is an upgrade or replacement.

Maybe we are starting to see some positive action on this issue from GM.

GT-610
10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
i hope so cause i need one bad! ball joint,too!

NYG8GT
10-13-2009, 06:11 PM
*crosses fingers that the service writer tells me I can have my car back tomorrow and dump this piece of shit G6 loaner*

Chewy
10-14-2009, 05:27 AM
Good luck!

NYG8GT
10-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, FUCK MY LIFE yet again, and even more importantly FUCK GM. It looks like its going to be another weeks wait. I guess the old parts were sent, and the new ones are on their way. So yet another week with this garbage heap G6. I should just go steal my car from the dealer and tell them to call me when the parts come in. This is beyond fucking ridiculous.

SRG963
10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, FUCK MY LIFE yet again, and even more importantly FUCK GM. It looks like its going to be another weeks wait. I guess the old parts were sent, and the new ones are on their way. So yet another week with this garbage heap G6. I should just go steal my car from the dealer and tell them to call me when the parts come in. This is beyond fucking ridiculous.

Sounds like they at least owe you a minimum months payments compensation.

vert
10-14-2009, 12:50 PM

It is starting to get ridiculously funny. I called my service rep today and asked for an update and he said "you know more than I". I said true, but you are on the inside and I would think you have an update. Of course the answer was no and now I have an Impala to drive since I returned the truck and they are UGLY.

NYG8GT
10-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Sounds like they at least owe you a minimum months payments compensation.

Yeah, no kidding. Im thinking about figuring out how to pursue some sort of compensation for all of this bullshit. Usually Im not one to bitch and ask for service credits/compensation/ect., but this is just beyond words. What they could have done for me was install the old parts, give me the car back, and then call me when the parts are in and I could drop it off to have them installed. Instead, I have been stuck with a G6 for exactly 23 days now, with another ~7 to go. I think I am entitled to the 390 bucks I paid for a car I have not been able to touch in almost a month.

vert
10-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Gm should think about compensation instead of a loaner or rental in my case. My rental costs $42/day and I have it for 10 days now = 420 bucks. They could offer $30/day if one was to opt out of a loaner/rental.

NYG8GT
10-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Well, I need a loaner, we have 2 cars between my wife and I, and no real carpooling options.

I am still confused as to why you have a rental and not a dealer loaner. They should not be paying a dime to a rental company for you, they should just be giving you a car off the lot thats registered to them. Morons are wasting their own money!

polo
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM

LMAO...

when you said you might be getting the car back, I was thinking that something else would come up. That seems a common theme with people getting their cars repaired by GM. Either the parts are late or they send the wrong parts.

I'd definitely try to get them to make a payment for you though.

johnh
10-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Either the parts are late or they send the wrong parts.

lol. My dealer was supposed to get the new parts this week..so far nothing. Looks like its gonna be next week at the earliest. I haven't had my car since 9/14. I do have a very spiffy 09 Malibu (which has really shitty seats). It does get about 28 mpg. Worse part..I could have gotten lemon law except that my car passed its one year anniversary (9/30) before it hit the 30 day limit....should have taken it in sooner.

majesticix
10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
I'd get at least a months compensation for sure. This is asinine.

mot76
10-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Has anyone had this done yet? I was wondering how long it would take to get fixed. I got the notice and they said they would call me when the parts come in.

nonexistent
10-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, the dealer called and said my part was in and that was Tuesday. So I pick up the car last night, noise is gone but holy donkeys... I read the sheet of repairs done, and they installed an old model control arm. So, now I'm going to try and see if I can mention the TSB WickedMom mentioned in another thread, probably won't be til next week as it's too late for this week. I really want them to replace all the control arms at the same time and not one side at a time. Right now both control arms are pretty new, they're just the control arms that are prone to the contamination.

GT-610
10-16-2009, 01:55 AM
wohoooooo! just had all four lca's done free of charge by dealer in one day,no wait! they had the parts ordered cause another guy never came back so they gave them to me! car is like new! the parts are new as well so I shouldnt have the problem ever again!

NYG8GT
10-16-2009, 04:27 AM
Well, the dealer called and said my part was in and that was Tuesday. So I pick up the car last night, noise is gone but holy donkeys... I read the sheet of repairs done, and they installed an old model control arm. So, now I'm going to try and see if I can mention the TSB WickedMom mentioned in another thread, probably won't be til next week as it's too late for this week. I really want them to replace all the control arms at the same time and not one side at a time. Right now both control arms are pretty new, they're just the control arms that are prone to the contamination.

This sounds like what happened to me, only they didnt install the old parts, instead sent them back and waited for the new ones. Which fucking sucks for me because thats another week I gotta wait :spank: Consider yourself lucky!

GT-610, I sooooo loathe you right now lol :p

Chewy
10-16-2009, 04:45 AM
This sounds like what happened to me, only they didnt install the old parts, instead sent them back and waited for the new ones. Which fucking sucks for me because thats another week I gotta wait :spank: Consider yourself lucky!

They may have been told to by GM... Greg at Pace gave GM my VIN and they said, OH... That car needs all four replaced... Guess what... I'm replacing ALL FOUR! Plus I bought the boots for the BJ's.

Chris

-Ray-
10-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Again, the 1st 888 cars weren't in the vin range. WTH?

Chewy
10-16-2009, 04:53 AM
You guys bought special cars and got special parts to I guess... Count yourself lucky!

majesticix
10-16-2009, 07:29 AM
I wish haha...mine failed. Still waiting on parts. Starting to get some steering wheel shake...minimal at this point but as time progresses it gets worse.

johnh
10-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Mine's supposed to be done today....it will be like getting a new car all over again.

NYG8GT
10-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I went up last night to get something out of it, I started it up for a second just to hear it again. God I miss that thing, this G6 is murdering my soul :( I get the GXP bumper put on and then I lose the damn thing for a month. Fucking laaaaaaame!

MANOFSTEEL69
10-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Got my recall notice for this today. It's going into the shop Monday to get the fix done.

jimmyban
10-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I also have a First 888. I never got a notice but brought mine in to Sullivan Pontiac (one of the former highest-volume Pontiac dealers in the country with a good service department) today for the two open recalls and for "inspection" of the control arms per the bulletin, which I sent to them. Previously I had the passenger side LCA replaced.

Upon inspection, my advisor said I have "at least two" bad control arms, so per GM they will all be replaced. Parts are on order and expected in a few weeks based on prior experience. My advisor said GM is being "very prescriptive" with this issue, like "they are going after the parts supplier for money or something." I am driving my car until the parts come in.

FWIW, he also mentioned that "almost every G8 he has seen" has this issue but he has never seen a dangerous situation, only a noisy front end.

I'll update when the repair is made. I have a pretty good relationship with the advisors so will see if I can get more of the story.

GT-610
10-16-2009, 01:09 PM

LOL, id ont blame you.but for a consolation,I have been screwed every which way with my last GM by 3 dealers and my bankrupt extended mileage warranty company! I ate 5800 bucks back in 2003,still waiting on court litigation!

-Ray-
10-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I also have a First 888. I never got a notice but brought mine in to Sullivan Pontiac (one of the former highest-volume Pontiac dealers in the country with a good service department) today for the two open recalls and for "inspection" of the control arms per the bulletin, which I sent to them. Previously I had the passenger side LCA replaced.

Upon inspection, my advisor said I have "at least two" bad control arms, so per GM they will all be replaced. Parts are on order and expected in a few weeks based on prior experience. My advisor said GM is being "very prescriptive" with this issue, like "they are going after the parts supplier for money or something." I am driving my car until the parts come in.

FWIW, he also mentioned that "almost every G8 he has seen" has this issue but he has never seen a dangerous situation, only a noisy front end.

I'll update when the repair is made. I have a pretty good relationship with the advisors so will see if I can get more of the story.

Thanks for your post.

nonexistent
10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
So for the ones who are getting their cars fixed, are they getting the older control arms with the boot sealing kit installed or are they getting the new control arms installed without the boot sealing kit.

Old being PNs:
92183309, 92183310, 92224668, 92224667

New being PNs:
92244046, 92244047, 92244050, 92244051

vert
10-16-2009, 04:59 PM
So for the ones who are getting their cars fixed, are they getting the older control arms with the boot sealing kit installed or are they getting the new control arms installed without the boot sealing kit.

Old being PNs:
92183309, 92183310, 92224668, 92224667

New being PNs:
92244046, 92244047, 92244050, 92244051

According to HSV-GTS-300 stated he heard not until Oct 23rd that the part would be on the shelves in OZ land.

Crazy Paul
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
According to HSV-GTS-300 stated he heard not until Oct 23rd that the part would be on the shelves in OZ land.

Yes but I do not know if shelf stock in Oz happens before or after USA customers are served.

Chewy
10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I was told mine are going to be new ones. All three of them and I have a boot kit to replace the boot on the one that's not the new new one but is brand new...

NYG8GT
10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
+1, I was told mine are going to be the revised versions as well (as I've said numerous times lol), which is why I'm waiting so long I guess. Dont have a clue what the part numbers are though. I'm gonna call on Tuesday and see whats going on, if he can provide me part numbers I'll get them.

GT-610
10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
new!!! "you cannot order the old ones" was the quote i got from the dealer

johnh
10-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Got mine back finally...woo hoo.. 4 new control arms. Rides better than new. I was so sick of the damn Malibu.

mfox
10-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Just got all four of mine replaced with what GM claims are new style.
Ride is all good again.
Love it!!!!!!!:woohoo:

sweetair
10-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Stupid question here. Is this a recall on the front controll arms/boots, or is it a TSB if there is an issue? I don't seem to have a shaking issue. My rubber boots look fine, as I have a lift and am under her from time to time.

I have a very good relationship with my service manager. Is this something I should bring to his attention?

WickedMom
10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
There is a recall/satisfaction campaign on the boots for people who live in cold weather climates(ie. you).

The TSB is for people that have the loose ball joint issue

sweetair
10-18-2009, 07:04 PM
There is a recall/satisfaction campaign on the boots for people who live in cold weather climates(ie. you).

The TSB is for people that have the loose ball joint issueIF I was having as loose ball joint issue, I assume I would have a shimmy in the front end, perhaps more so at higher speeds? Maryland is a cold climate? I guess so, it is only in the high 30's now.

WickedMom
10-18-2009, 07:07 PM
the boot issue has to do with moisture getting into the ball joint boots causing premature failure.... or something like that.
And yes, 30 degrees now = cold climate area.

Chewy
10-19-2009, 07:04 AM
I was told today that the new bulletin is 09-203B.

SRG963
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm dropping her off this Wednesday, hope they don't keep my baby too long.
I caught some of my suspension rattle on video for backup :) It's really noticeable 31 seconds into the video. This wasn't my new camera, which explains the noise quality, but it's good enough for proof.
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/th_PA190211.jpg (http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/?action=view&current=PA190211.flv)

NYG8GT
10-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Holy crap I AM FINALLY GETTING MY CAR BACK!!!!!!

It only took 4 weeks to the day, but its mine again. Parts arrived this morning and they just installed them. I guess the wait really was attributed to me bringing the car in just as the new redesigned part was released, and GM didnt want to put the old design on once the new design shipped. So it was just shitty timing that caused the wait. Either way, I am seriously considering the pursuance of some sort of compensation from GM, because it is still ridiculous I had to go so long without my car.

-Ray-
10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
God I hope your car is right.

Chewy
10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I think that's why my arm took so long because Greg got my other arms in in like a week or so. Hell just shipping can take that long so I believe they have them all in stock now. Now I wait idly by waiting for Pedders to get stock on the bushings... What is it with AU parts? Damn!

Crazy Paul
10-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I think that's why my arm took so long because Greg got my other arms in in like a week or so. Hell just shipping can take that long so I believe they have them all in stock now. Now I wait idly by waiting for Pedders to get stock on the bushings... What is it with AU parts? Damn!

Some companies are too tight to use Airfreight.
The stock level at this end is rarely the problem in my experience.

NYG8GT
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
God I hope your car is right.

Lol, Im assuming you mean that as in "I hope your car is right so you can finally quit all the bitchin!" :spank: I guess I cant blame you, I've been so fuckin bitter over this whole matter.

Drive back to work was nice, suuuuuch a difference from the G6, its like I had to learn how to drive. I forgot how much the brakes such and have no feel, I'll have to tend to that in the spring with some better pads and rotors I suppose.

Also, the workorder states the following:

Diagnostics revealed front lower control arm joints worn and loose.
Replaced front lower control arm and caster arms per BUL#09-03-08-008

Part numbers:
92244046 - ARM
92244047 - ARM
92244051 - ARM 6-168
92244050 - ARM 6-168

majesticix
10-19-2009, 12:44 PM
callin my dealership now to see if the parts have come in...

polo
10-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Great! Glad they FINALLY got it fixed. Now quit your bitchin'... j/k :)

sweetair
10-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Have any fellow Marylander's had this problem, with the repair? I see a few persons from Rochester NY needing this.

egadd
10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
got mine fixed today , said they replaced ball joints boots and perform wheel aligm, 09 g8 gt

vert
10-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Lol, Im assuming you mean that as in "I hope your car is right so you can finally quit all the bitchin!" :spank: I guess I cant blame you, I've been so fuckin bitter over this whole matter.

Drive back to work was nice, suuuuuch a difference from the G6, its like I had to learn how to drive. I forgot how much the brakes such and have no feel, I'll have to tend to that in the spring with some better pads and rotors I suppose.

Also, the workorder states the following:

Diagnostics revealed front lower control arm joints worn and loose.

Part numbers:
92244046 - ARM
92244047 - ARM
92244051 - ARM 6-168
92244050 - ARM 6-168

Thanks for the info. I called my service rep and parts man about expected arrival and they are :huh::uhm: Suppose to call back tomorrow to see if/when and so forth. I am not pissed about the parts, it is more the lack of knowledge on who,what where,why and when.

Panzer Leader
10-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Damn Naval Blockade!

powershiftlol
10-20-2009, 06:37 AM
Mine is being fixed right now.. hope everything goes well.

majesticix
10-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Still no parts...better get them in soon. It will be snowing in a few weeks I'm bettin'

Gonna have them address my tranny too.

dandragonrage
10-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Some of you have said that you had all four replaced. How did you get them to do that? Or were all 4 actually bad? I think only one or two of mine are bad at the moment. I get the noise from the left side when I turn left only.

Chewy
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
It's something THEY want to do. They want ALL 4 of them replaced.

dandragonrage
10-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Mine doesn't want to. They want to replace the boots and then they say they will look into replacing specific ball joints if noises continue. I told them that I guarantee that at least one NEEDS to be replaced. I just called. I certainly want all 4 replaced.

I have the appointment for Thursday. I will tell them that if (when) they find control arms needing replacement, they need to be the new part numbers.

NYG8GT
10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I would say bring up the TSB and see if that forces them to do it?

Part numbers:
92244046 - ARM
92244047 - ARM
92244051 - ARM 6-168
92244050 - ARM 6-168

vert
10-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I finally got an answer from the dealer on when I can expect my car back and the answer was,
DECEMBER 19
Holy shit, I think I might as well bring the car back to my house and start tearing it down and do a cam swap.:surprise:

powershiftlol
10-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I finally got an answer from the dealer on when I can expect my car back and the answer was,
DECEMBER 19
Holy shit, I think I might as well bring the car back to my house and start tearing it down and do a cam swap.:surprise:

JESUSSSS :poof::poof::poof::poof::poof::poof::poof::poof::p oof::poof::poof::poof::hang::hang::hang::hang::han g::hang::hang::hang::hang:

polo
10-20-2009, 02:44 PM
DECEMBER 19

Dude, that is ridiculous. When I saw you post December 19, I had to look at my calendar to make sure that it really is October. I can't believe it's going to take 2 more months. WOW.

majesticix
10-20-2009, 05:13 PM
whoa.

WickedMom
10-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Mine doesn't want to. They want to replace the boots and then they say they will look into replacing specific ball joints if noises continue. I told them that I guarantee that at least one NEEDS to be replaced. I just called. I certainly want all 4 replaced.

I have the appointment for Thursday. I will tell them that if (when) they find control arms needing replacement, they need to be the new part numbers.

Just to repost from the actual bulletin thread I posted earlier....
Tell them the service person to really read the actual bulletin

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk, knock or click noise from the front suspension over small bumps.

Cause
The rubber "boot" over the front end lower control arm ball joint may have become dislodged or torn compromising the seal. Moisture inside the ball joint seal may cause corrosion, shortening the service life of the component.

Correction
Notice: Before replacing any components under the terms of this bulletin, you must confirm the past service history of the vehicle. Please use GMVIS to confirm if the vehicle was previously repaired under Customer Satisfaction Campaign #09203A. If the vehicle was repaired under this service action, ONLY replace the front control arm found to be the source of the noise and claim the applicable Labor Operation for that part as outlined in SI and the labor time guide.

Vehicles not identified in Customer Satisfaction Campaign #09203A (or not repaired during its duration) and found to have one or more of the rubber boots improperly sealing should have all four front control arms replaced.

vert
10-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Dude, that is ridiculous. When I saw you post December 19, I had to look at my calendar to make sure that it really is October. I can't believe it's going to take 2 more months. WOW.

Parts guy stated 72 LCA's are bound for the US, but I fall well below that due to the number of G8's that are in line. I must mention that my car has been at the shop for 3 weeks already.

Chewy
10-21-2009, 04:52 AM
Well I called my dealer yesterday and they gave me the run around so I said thanks to them and PM'd Greg and had him send me the two LCA's he was holding for me. I paid for them and I will install them... I now have... ready for this... 992 bucks in front suspension parts... I can only blame myself for going with Pedders before I knew the suspension was up to par. Pedders isn't at fault but the fact that I don't have stock suspension IS. I kinda regret making the choice to replace the suspension but then I drive it and DAMN does it handle like it's on rails... lol

Cheers,
Chris

powershiftlol
10-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Just got my baby back today..... They also did a Cluster Reprogram... anyone else get that???

NYG8GT
10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
WTF is a cluster reprogram? Did they explain what they did?

Nevermind, I found it

#09076: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - IP Cluster Reprogram - Expires with Base Warranty - (May 21, 2009)

This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the IP cluster on certain 2009 model year Pontiac G8, and export Chevrolet Caprice and Lumina vehicles. During vehicle service, if the battery is disconnected and the air bag diagnostic module is subsequently disconnected, and then the battery reconnected without reconnecting the air bag diagnostic module, the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR) may be disabled. In the event of incorrect service as noted, SIR warning lamps would not indicate that the SIR system is inoperative.

This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

Scott McDonald
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Is this LCA problem common to all G8s? I bought mine used and haven't noticed any clicking noises yet so I'm guessing I should drive with the radio off on the way home to check. I've only got a little over 8k miles on her and she only had 5700 when I got her. Apparently there is a parts shortage so do I need to go ahead and get in line at a dealer?

majesticix
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Pretty much common to all G8's. You'll start to notice it with more miles, especially if you live in a cooler climate. Take it to your dealer, I'm fairly confident you'll need to at least have the boots replaced. If you don't take care of it soon, your ball joints may also need to be replaced like many of ours.

Chewy
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Not that anyone cares but...

I had a thought of taking my new arms and using a syringe to pump more grease under the boots to help protect the BJ's a bit more. So tonight I grabbed my Bel-Ray waterproof grease, syringe and my left arm which is brand new and pumped a little bit more grease into them. Not so much that it bulged the boots but enough that I feel more comfy with them.

SRG963
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
^Good idea!

Is this LCA problem common to all G8s? I bought mine used and haven't noticed any clicking noises yet so I'm guessing I should drive with the radio off on the way home to check. I've only got a little over 8k miles on her and she only had 5700 when I got her. Apparently there is a parts shortage so do I need to go ahead and get in line at a dealer?

FYI My rattle started at 25k

dandragonrage
10-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Not that anyone cares but...

I had a thought of taking my new arms and using a syringe to pump more grease under the boots to help protect the BJ's a bit more. So tonight I grabbed my Bel-Ray waterproof grease, syringe and my left arm which is brand new and pumped a little bit more grease into them. Not so much that it bulged the boots but enough that I feel more comfy with them.

Your arm is brand new? Mine are like 24 years old now. :/

Chewy
10-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Your arm is brand new? Mine are like 24 years old now. :/

Yeah just my left arm though... My right arm will be in next week I hope. The old ones were 35.

dandragonrage
10-22-2009, 04:51 AM
I showed him that TSB, WickedMom, and he said that I was taking it in for that customer satisfaction thing and that I'm not subject to the TSB. I said that some of the joints are making noise and he wouldn't comment until they checked it out. I have to just wait for the call, I guess, but I don't expect them to replace all 4.

P.S. anyone know of a better place in my area for me to have my car serviced? You guys aren't having trouble but I am? I'm going to Diamond Pontiac in Auburn, MA currently.

Chewy
10-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Your garage! I am doing all mine due to the run around from the dealer. Unfortunately that means I am picking up the tab, but I know it'll be done right.

Chris

dandragonrage
10-22-2009, 05:53 AM
I suppose I could do that, though I don't want to spring for a press. I could remove the arms and bring them to the a shop, I guess.

Would need to wait 'til I finish repairs on my A4, though.

Maybe I will go for Pedders ball joints.

Chewy
10-22-2009, 06:12 AM
No press needed unless you are putting pedders bushings in them. The arms come complete with the B/J's. They replace the WHOLE arm.

Chris

dandragonrage
10-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Eh, I think if I did it, it would be with Pedders stuff.

Chewy
10-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Unless this solves my issues forever, I believe I see a trip to Chi town again for some Pedders parts. Cool thing... I have a COMPLETE set of arms now that I can press the BJ's out of and insert the Pedders... lol

Chris

Mike P
10-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I suppose I could do that, though I don't want to spring for a press. I could remove the arms and bring them to the a shop, I guess.

Would need to wait 'til I finish repairs on my A4, though.

Maybe I will go for Pedders ball joints.

* What's the latest on the Pedder's ball joints? The last I heard they were planning for a November 2009 release of this part.....

Any updates?

Chewy
10-22-2009, 08:16 AM
* What's the latest on the Pedder's ball joints? The last I heard they were planning for a November 2009 release of this part.....

Any updates?

No. I doubt we'll hear anything for a few months.

Chris

dandragonrage
10-22-2009, 02:23 PM
"could not duplicate" for the suspension noise. And, of course, they gave me the car back as they were closing. I had no time to verify that it was still there. It is. It's not super loud on my car - you can actually feel it more than you can hear it.

Chooch
10-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Ok word has it now that they have updated Ball joints that can be pressed into the arms instead of replacing the whole arm assembly. End of August my passenger side LCA was replaced and 2 weeks ago, my driver side was starting to rattle. WHen I called the service department today, they looked up my vin and said while it was not included in the TSB, they know my car and said, they may just order 4 of the new revised ball joints and press them in to update the front end including the just replaced passenger side.

Unless I miss heard, she said new balljoints only to be pressed in. ANy body else hear that or confirm??

SRG963
10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
"could not duplicate" for the suspension noise. And, of course, they gave me the car back as they were closing. I had no time to verify that it was still there. It is. It's not super loud on my car - you can actually feel it more than you can hear it.

My car is the exact same way. I feel it under my left foot and it drives me crazy!

They have my car now, should have it back tomorrow with good news or else :poof:

Chewy
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Ok word has it now that they have updated Ball joints that can be pressed into the arms instead of replacing the whole arm assembly. End of August my passenger side LCA was replaced and 2 weeks ago, my driver side was starting to rattle. WHen I called the service department today, they looked up my vin and said while it was not included in the TSB, they know my car and said, they may just order 4 of the new revised ball joints and press them in to update the front end including the just replaced passenger side.

Unless I miss heard, she said new balljoints only to be pressed in. ANy body else hear that or confirm??

The old ones were able to be pressed out as well but they didn't offer JUST the BJs to do it. The problem is that the BJ's are weak and loose when new. I'll look into Pedders press in units when they come out.

Chris

WickedMom
10-22-2009, 06:40 PM

same shit I deal with at my dealership... I hate my boss

Chooch
10-23-2009, 04:08 AM
The old ones were able to be pressed out as well but they didn't offer JUST the BJs to do it. The problem is that the BJ's are weak and loose when new. I'll look into Pedders press in units when they come out.

Chris

The Service manager advised these are the revised part numbers ie supposedly changed, not sure how or what was though....... But now you have me thinking if perhaps I can ask them to install the pedders ones when they come out........ That may be the way to go

SRG963
10-23-2009, 10:49 AM
:woohoo: It's not my ball joints! It's my caliper bracket rattling :)

Parts on order, I'm driving her until they come in.

dandragonrage, have them check your caliper!

Chewy
10-23-2009, 01:10 PM
:woohoo: It's not my ball joints! It's my caliper bracket rattling :)

Parts on order, I'm driving her until they come in.

dandragonrage, have them check your caliper!

Uh huh... Sure... Just wait...

My new lowers came in today per my fiance IMing me. So we'll see... I already have one new caster arm and it is loose and not NEARLY as tight as most ball joints are. Just waiting for my Pedders to come in so I can have my bushing installed and then install ALL the control arms at once.

Chris

Chris

vert
10-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I was curious about Indiana's lemon law and it states;
The vehicle must be under 18 months old and under 18K in miles.
Out of service for repair beyond 30 business days.
It has been 15 bus. days so far and it will be well beyond 30 since they are stating 12/19 as the target repair date. I had several of my coworkers saying to file it under the lemon law. One of my operators filled a suit and won 3K and she still got to keep her vehicle. Last the thing I want to do is to have GM buy it back and the more I think about, the lemon law is not my way to go. I guess it something I need to ponder.

Tommy G
10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I got mine fixed this week after waiting at least a month for replacement control arms. Car drives great, better than new maybe. This seems to be what this bulletin covers.

Parts list & labor:

E3537 lower control arm replacement both sides

1 92244050 arm
1 92183310 arm
1 92224668 arm
1 92244047 arm

E2020 wheel alignment

OLH other labor

8267 4x replace all 4 control arms on the left and right front of the suspension. Perform a 4 wheel alignment due to the right rear settings being so far off. Reset the camber and toe on both sides on the front. Road test to verify the repair. OLH ok for time to replace both upper and lower bushings.

Not sure about the bushings, didn't know they were bad. I think it might have been the strut mount bushings, as the upper strut mounts seem different, like there is a bigger gap between the strut cap and the sheet metal looking from the engine bay. Anyway, the front end feels very tight and responsive, absent of any noises.

Also had the battery load tested 726 CCA - good to go

vert
10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I went in to the dealer today to check on arrivial of the LCA. The parts guy called in to check on my case and the date has been moved up to Dec. 14 for part 92244051. He left it on speaker and it stated that 400 have been shipped and my case has been assigned to a swat team. He said he didnt know what that was about, but I figure a special crew looks at cases approaching 30 days out of service.
I went to the service area and my baby sat in a bay all by itself with its nose face towards the door as if it was ready to break out. Service mgr said he also order the 4 boots per the TSB.

Bretz56
10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Just got my notice in the mail today!

Chewy
10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
OK well I got my front right radius rod today... So that gives me ALL the parts I need to get the job done. :woohoo:

Modern Muscle in Oswego (Chicago) IL rocks! They got this done asap and shipped to my work last night and I got it around 10 this morning.

Brad and the boys there know what real customer service is.

Of course I can't forget Greg at Pace either. There was a little hitch in the giddy up but Greg jumped through hoops and got the issues resolved in a timely manner. Great service as well!

Chris

Chewy
10-30-2009, 04:44 AM
Well the ride to work today was AWESOME! Quiet as a mouse!!!:woohoo:

I also took some pics of the new part and the old part.

The casting is the same and actually has the old part number on it. The only thing that differentiates it is a silver sticker with the new number on it.

So installations was a breeze of course. If I could have found my 18mm combination it would have been hella easier though...:spank:

So everything is red lock tighted and good to go!

Here's some pics of new and old. Really no way to tell the difference IMO. Of course you can tell that one here is used and the other not.

Keep in mind that this LCA was replaced once at around 8000 miles and is already weaker but not making noise. I just replaced with updated style.

Also filling the boots with more grease I think was a good idea. IMO it can't hurt.

Cheers,
Chris

vert
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM

The casting is the same and actually has the old part number on it. The only thing that differentiates it is a silver sticker with the new number on it.

So installations was a breeze of course. If I could have found my 18mm combination it would have been hella easier though...:spank:

Here's some pics of new and old. Really no way to tell the difference IMO. Of course you can tell that one here is used and the other not.

Keep in mind that this LCA was replaced once at around 8000 miles and is already weaker but not making noise. I just replaced with updated style.

Also filling the boots with more grease I think was a good idea. IMO it can't hurt.

Cheers,
Chris

Maybe I need to send you to my dealership and you can take of my car for me.:woohoo:

vert
10-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Forget to say, I am glad you got your car back on the road with no noise.

Chewy
10-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks.... So am I!

SRG963
10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Just got a call, said all my parts were in. That's quick IMO, one week. Unfortunately that doesn't include anything having to do with my ball joints, lol.

We'll see next week if my noise is there or not after they replace the caliper bracket. Just to put myself at ease, I'm also going to physically inspect the ball joints/control arms while it's up on a lift. If they move around/wiggle, I would assume they need replaced? Also going to inspect the boots for cracks/tears. I'm sure they have done this, but you can't expect what you don't inspect!

Chewy
10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Ball joints are meant to move. Watch my video on youtube and you'll see the difference.
They won't be as tight as new but they shouldn't make a clunking noise.

dandragonrage
10-31-2009, 05:46 AM
A really bad ball joint is like walking normally.
A good ball joint is like walking underwater.

supercharger
10-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Cheers,
Chris

Those pic show the ball is more receded into the socket on the old one to me.

Chewy
11-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Those pic show the ball is more receded into the socket on the old one to me.

It's just the boot shoved down further on the stem.

SRG963
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Dropped my baby off this afternoon......and they tried to put me in a basic cobalt! ROFLMAO

Ended up getting into a new Equinox, and this one came with power windows and door locks :)

polo
11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
My dealer ordered the parts today for my car, so we'll see how long it takes them to get them in.

They're also ordering me a new key fob, because mine keeps coming apart.

R.Penguin
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
My dealer ordered the parts today for my car, so we'll see how long it takes them to get them in.

They're also ordering me a new key fob, because mine keeps coming apart.
Well, I still can't bring myself to place MY baby in harms way by taking it in to a dealer for anything.

What happens if you simply ignore all TSB's and recalls??? Still no issues that I've found with the car at 6300.

polo
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, I still can't bring myself to place MY baby in harms way by taking it in to a dealer for anything.

What happens if you simply ignore all TSB's and recalls??? Still no issues that I've found with the car at 6300.

Your car's still under warranty, so you can wait to see if the cold weather messes yours up. If your ball joints aren't making noise, then it's not necessary to have it done. It's just preventative, because it's easier to replace the boots now than replace the control arms later.

If I hadn't read about this here, I wouldn't have taken mine in. I haven't received a letter from GM about it, but they say my VIN does fall in the range to have it done.

Not all dealerships are that bad, either. We're just used to hearing all the horror stories that people post on here. People rarely make a post about their positive experience at the dealership. It's always the negative stuff they write about.

vert
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM

What parts are you waiting on? If it is just the boots, then they only take a few days to get them in. If it is LCA, well you know the outcome.

polo
11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Just the boots. They said probably by the end of the week.
BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

Chewy
11-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Just the boots. They said probably by the end of the week.

Make sure you request they add some NEW grease to the boot instead of scraping out the old. That's BS! I added more grease to my new BJ's and I think it can only help in the long run. I used synthetic waterproof grease from BelRay.

Chris

vert
11-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Make sure you request they add some NEW grease to the boot instead of scraping out the old. That's BS! I added more grease to my new BJ's and I think it can only help in the long run. I used synthetic waterproof grease from BelRay.

Chris

I plan on doing that once I get my car back. Have you notice any squeezing out since you put extra in.

Chewy
11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
I plan on doing that once I get my car back. Have you notice any squeezing out since you put extra in.

I looked when I installed them and saw nothing. I didn't put that much in there. Just enough to make me feel better.

You'll have to unbolt the BJ's from the spindle to do this and in the car it would be a lot harder.

Chris

Chooch
11-04-2009, 11:02 AM
For a positive note, I had the right side LCA repalced once, driver side has got the clunk, Dealer has ordered all new joints and will replace them all for me since it is a known issue on mine. Even though my car does not fall in the Vin range, it has a history with the dealer so they are getting it done. Like Polo said, sometimes dealers who take pride in what they do dont get mentioned, mine has done good work for me. I even let them do the oil changes as they charge my 75.99 for a Mobil 1 oil change. Rather give them the money to keep them in business since they are good. Besides I dont have a 9 quart oil containter at hand :)

jnak
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
It's now been 70 days since I took the car in for the passenger side clunk...still waiting for parts...

vert
11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
It's now been 70 days since I took the car in for the passenger side clunk...still waiting for parts...

Are you still driving the car or is it in the shop? Did they give you an estimate of when they should arrive? My target date is 12/14 for the LCA.

NYG8GT
11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Jesus, Im so glad I dont need to participate in this thread anymore, what a depressing month of my life that was http://www.autophotog.com/forums/images/smilies/bananas/bananalama.gif

Chewy
11-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Cry me a river... lol I spent closer to 6 sorting it all out...

Chris

Steve
11-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Got back from dealer for oilchange/recall issues and my clunk..
their answer: "Oh it' s your exhaust by the cats" - not even NEAR where the sound comes from and even the wrong side of the car... WTF?!?

I even showed them the TSB printouts (all of them) re. the balljoints and they just glanced at it with me standing there.. "yeah that's not it otherwise they'd be leaking all over"

I fuckin' HATE dealerships...

:spank:

SRG963
11-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I even showed them the TSB printouts (all of them) re. the balljoints and they just glanced at it with me standing there.. "yeah that's not it otherwise they'd be leaking all over"

I fuckin' HATE dealerships...

:spank:

You have to prove them wrong. Wrap the cats with fiberglass wrap or something and test drive before you take it back in.

I was told it was my caliper bracket, I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning, all fixed.....we'll see :)

Chooch
11-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Dealers must be either really bad or really good. I just got a call from mine and they expressed parts for the whole front end, all revised parts for the upper and lower arms, both sides, even replacing the one they did in late August. Parts will be in in 4-5 days per there invoice for parts. They orderd them in Mid October. I just dont understand some dealers out there, Economy is crap, you want people to be in there, buy stuff. If more dealers understood that, they would be better off.

Steve
11-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Not only that, but ofcourse they noticed the pedders so instantly it was the "well... ya know.. if there IS something wrong with the suspension that's what probably caused so it wouldn't be covered blablabla"

:poof:

jnak
11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Are you still driving the car or is it in the shop? Did they give you an estimate of when they should arrive? My target date is 12/14 for the LCA.

I am still driving the car. It rattles like hell over bumps and the steering wheel shakes under hard braking. It is also starting to pull the left a little bit. The dealer keeps insisting it's safe to drive.

I have no estimate of when the parts will arrive.

vert
11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Dealers must be either really bad or really good. I just got a call from mine and they expressed parts for the whole front end, all revised parts for the upper and lower arms, both sides, even replacing the one they did in late August. Parts will be in in 4-5 days per there invoice for parts. They orderd them in Mid October. I just dont understand some dealers out there, Economy is crap, you want people to be in there, buy stuff. If more dealers understood that, they would be better off.

WTF!!!! Either your dealer is smoking crack or mine is. My car has been at the dealer since 10/5 and my LCA's will not arrive until 12/14. IF you do get your car fixed in a few days, let me know. GM and my dealer are going to get an ass chewing.

Chooch
11-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Vert, when I get the details, I will tell you when the parts were ordered, when they came in and what they did. I mean we know these parts are backordered blah blah blah, so either my dealer has good connections, they care about service, or yours is not doing the job they should, either way I will let you know

vert
11-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Vert, when I get the details, I will tell you when the parts were ordered, when they came in and what they did. I mean we know these parts are backordered blah blah blah, so either my dealer has good connections, they care about service, or yours is not doing the job they should, either way I will let you know

Thanks I appreciate it and if you get yours fixed soon I will be happy for you. This Impala rental makes me feel that I should be retired driving 5mph under the speed limit.

Omega
11-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Are you lot going to Pontiac dealers specifically? A local tuner shop recommended a Chevy/GMC dealer that they work with all the time. I dropped the car off to have this BJ boot looked at and they called saying the couldn't get parts because they are not a Pontiac dealer.

I now have to start the process over at this other dealership, which is annoying. I thought the Chevy/GMC dealer would be able to take care of my car.

johnh
11-05-2009, 04:46 AM
I dropped the car off to have this BJ boot looked at and they called saying the couldn't get parts because they are not a Pontiac dealer.

Pure Crap. My car was fixed for this at a Chevy Dealer, no problem, no hassles. That dealer has done several G8s.

Omega
11-05-2009, 05:06 AM
This is what makes my blood boil. I am so sick and tired of incompetant dealerships. In the last month, my family has had issues with Jeep and Nissan. I'm out for blood with Nissan. They told my sister that the passenger side airbag light is SUPPOSED to show disabled when someone sits in the passenger seat.
BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

SRG963
11-05-2009, 05:59 AM
well.....I picked her up this morning, and the rattle is gone and everything else is fixed. And, they didn't mess anything else up in the process, at least I couldn't find anything, lol.
I still need to test the car on some back roads to verify.

JVH1982
11-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Okay, I have some 'clunks' in the suspension at all four corners, sounds like it would if it were to bottom out, but over light bumps. I'm going to have the boot TSB done. My question is: How does one determine if the LCAs need to be replaced, and can I have them do it on a reasonable expectation that since they've been redesigned that I'll have problem eventually? I'm quite concerned about my suspension as I hit a huge 'cut' in the road that bent a rim back in August. Thanks in advance....

Rawyzf
11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Do we just call the dealership and have them perform this TSB? I haven't noticed any clunks as of yet, but I only have 9K on the car so far.

Also, will they do the work without the clunking, to prevent the clunk?

vert
11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Okay, I have some 'clunks' in the suspension at all four corners, sounds like it would if it were to bottom out, but over light bumps. I'm going to have the boot TSB done. My question is: How does one determine if the LCAs need to be replaced, and can I have them do it on a reasonable expectation that since they've been redesigned that I'll have problem eventually? I'm quite concerned about my suspension as I hit a huge 'cut' in the road that bent a rim back in August. Thanks in advance....

I first noticed mine when I went over speed bumps at slow speed and it sounded like the strut was bottoming out (metal to metal). It turned out to be the ball joint. When you take it in for the TSB I am sure they will check the condition of your joints, at least tell them your issue. Several have had issues with the ball joints going bad from regular wear and tear, so I doubt the divet in the road caused your issue.