PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler Questions

G8Smitty
10-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I got my car tuned yesterday and it is awesome. It feels twice as quick as before. The transmission feels immeasurably better. It used to be that my car’s behavior wasn’t really affected until I pressed the pedal 50% or more. Now it feels like it is right there at the first 1%. I love it!

At this point I feel a little guilty; like I have increased my wear and tear considerably. I was thinking that I should probably help out those components as much as possible. I was thinking that I should probably look into a transmission cooler. Has anyone done this? If so, can you offer some advice? Ideally it would be nice to know what was used and the installation procedure, but I’ll take any information I can get.

Thanks!

wreckwriter
10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Really not needed unless you put in a converter. I used the B&M Supercooler, the bigger one.

G8Smitty
10-01-2008, 08:55 AM
When you went from the stock to VMS tune, was the difference if shifting like a billion percent (I can't believe I waited so long on the tune)?
I'm just worried that it wasn't meant to behave like that and I'd like to protect it if I can. Not so much that I want to put it back to crapland, but if a cooler would help, it would probably be worth the piece of mind. I'm not sure that makes sense.

wreckwriter
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Yea it's a huge difference from stock to tuned. You certainly can add a cooler but its not really needed unless you add a converter.

G8Smitty
10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Okay. Thanks for the information. My guilt is getting the better of me :)

FYI - I am now finally over my GTO! :rocking:

Chewy
10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
When you increase the speed of the shifts it causes less heat as the clutch plates don't slip as much. What you will see is more issues after the transmission like U-joints and such.

G8Smitty
10-01-2008, 09:08 AM
When you increase the speed of the shifts it causes less heat as the clutch plates don't slip as much. What you will see is more issues after the transmission like U-joints and such.

My neck too! ;)

-Ray-
10-01-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised you deleted AFM without changing the cam. It wasn't robbing you of any HP. Did torque management get turned off completely? If so, that's what you need to watch out for. You can watch the trans sump temp through engineering mode to see if the heat has increased.
Nice torque numbers considering you didn't add headers.

G8Smitty
10-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I just hate AFM. The sound is the biggest factor for me. I think it is terrible. The funny thing is my wife's Odyssey has a similar feature (ECO) and now the noise in that annoys me. I couldn't hear it before I got my G8. I never liked the lag it created too (although I would concede that it is mostly mental).

I'm not sure if torque management was turned off or not, but there's a lot more there. Thanks for the engineering mode tip, I didn't think of that. I'm going to watch it, although I don't what normal should be.

Yeah, I'm not sure why my torque number is so high. Everyone else has numbers around their HP numbers.

-Ray-
10-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Mine was running around 89 to 92 C.

wreckwriter
10-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Mine was running around 89 to 92 C.

What's that in real numbers? :)

GeorgeInNePa
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
90 degrees Celsius = 194 degrees Fahrenheit

G8Smitty
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM