http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/090911001.jpg

Brand: Smitty Mats
Price:$88 + $15.90 shipping = $103.90
Purchased From: ebaY
Quality of Part: (rate 1-10) 9-10
Product Performance: (rate 1-10) 9-10
Would you Recommend to Others: Yes

Any Other Comments:

I can't hear my nice GXP axlebacks nearly as well just from 2 feet of this stuff, lol. My engine has once again become louder than my exhaust, inside my car only :)

I've used other sound deadening products in the past that had bad odors and were a PITA to install (heat required). Smitty Mat was easy to cut with a razor knife and very easy to install. I didn't even wear gloves and no cuts! I would/will wear gloves and be careful around the edges when installing, but it really was a peace of cake to install. You need to press firmly to get all of it to stick and the tape is for the edges, which I'll finish up tomorrow. I was able to pull off a section, move and re-apply with no left over residue, which is great. Plus the price is killer and it only weighs 2 lbs per roll, including the cardboard center.

Look for 3 rolls for $75, that's the best deal IMO, located here: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/smittymats/m.html?_nkw=sound&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C 72%253A1171&_sop=2&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

What I got: (1) 2in x 50ft roll of foil backed flame retardant tape. You could probably pass on this and pick up some at HD or Lowes. (3) 1x14ft 1/8in rolls of closed cell dense vinyl foam with aluminum foil backing. Safe rating of 190 degrees Fahrenheit for direct contact heat sources.

dukeofpg
09-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Great stuff. where else did you put it? I would like to do the inside of the spare tire tub. In the summer that area gets up over 100 degrees. Would this stuff keep it cooler so I can put things in that need to stay cool?

SRG963
09-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Great stuff. where else did you put it? I would like to do the inside of the spare tire tub. In the summer that area gets up over 100 degrees. Would this stuff keep it cooler so I can put things in that need to stay cool?

I plan on installing my Kappas tonight/tomorrow and will be covering all 4 doors. I'll probably put another layer on the bottom back deck and with any left over, I'll hit the spare tire well and possibly the trunk lid :)

My sub already sounds better than before :)

I wouldn't expect it to keep things cool inside your car, but it does reflect heat.

dandragonrage
09-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Please don't review sound deadening mat without having experience with it in both very hot and very cold conditions. That's the most important thing and what most of those products totally fail at (hello, eDead, I am looking at you). What's the asphalt content? Butyl? Will it stick in hot temperatures? Will it melt and get disgusting? Will it smell bad? Will it stick in freezing conditions? Humid conditions?

It's probably just roofing stuff like Ice and Water Shield rebranded. Hopefully it will work out for you, but....

caretaker
09-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Please don't review sound deadening mat without having experience with it in both very hot and very cold conditions. That's the most important thing and what most of those products totally fail at (hello, eDead, I am looking at you). What's the asphalt content? Butyl? Will it stick in hot temperatures? Will it melt and get disgusting? Will it smell bad? Will it stick in freezing conditions? Humid conditions?

It's probably just roofing stuff like Ice and Water Shield rebranded. Hopefully it will work out for you, but....

Doesn't even look like Ice and Water!
If you take the time to visit their website there is more detailed info.

http://smittymats.com/sell/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

http://smittymats.com/test.html

SRG963
09-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Please don't speak on a product without doing a little research.

What you referred to is the same crap I mentioned, that I used in the past.

So far, this mat surpasses anything else I've used.

dandragonrage
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Please don't speak on a product without doing a little research.

What you referred to is the same crap I mentioned, that I used in the past.

So far, this mat surpasses anything else I've used.

I didn't speak of the product at all. I mentioned all of the things that you don't have experience with it with. You can't review this stuff so quickly; it takes time to see how it holds up. Any crappy product (which this may or may not be) can seem good at first.

SRG963
09-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I didn't speak of the product at all. I mentioned all of the things that you don't have experience with it with. You can't review this stuff so quickly; it takes time to see how it holds up. Any crappy product (which this may or may not be) can seem good at first.

Experience?

What's the asphalt content? 0

Butyl? closed cell dense vinyl foam with aluminum foil backing

Will it stick in hot temperatures? Yes

Will it melt and get disgusting? No

Will it smell bad? No

Will it stick in freezing conditions? Freezing conditions? Really? You do alot of work inside vehicles under 32 degrees?

Humid conditions? Yes, but not wet

dukeofpg
09-18-2009, 03:55 AM
HOLY COW!! I never thought that a simple question would be the spark to start a knock down drag out internet fight. I am a big boy and I will do my research before I buy. I just wanted a simple answer and opinion from a chap that had tried the product.

Also, I am not trying to build a ice chest out of my spare tire tub. I just dont want things exposed to 100 degree plus environments.

Thanks SRG for your post and keep us updated on how you enjoy the product.

MANOFSTEEL69
09-18-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the review SRG. Sounds like a good product, I might have to look into this.
Hey dandragonrage....Save the critical comments of someone elses review for when you're DMing in your moms basement. Or until you purchase and quality test the product yourself, then feel free to spout off all you want on "your" post. TY
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

dandragonrage
09-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the review SRG. Sounds like a good product, I might have to look into this.
Hey dandragonrage....Save the critical comments of someone elses review for when you're DMing in your moms basement. Or until you purchase and quality test the product yourself, then feel free to spout off all you want on "your" post. TY
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

No, I've pointed them out and he's still wrong with his bashing me. Why? Because he doesn't seem to realize that many cars sit in freezing environments plenty often, such as overnight. How can you give a good review of a product without even testing it in all situations where it will be used in? Besides, adhesive on poor quality mat doesn't always fail immediately. It often takes a good while to tell. Or you can do testing like at the old soundeadenershowdown.com (http://web.archive.org/web/20080202071157/http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/). The guy and you are taking this way too personally.

Chewy
09-18-2009, 04:49 AM
Yeah but you start out telling him what not to do in your first sentence. You also tell him he can't review something without COMPLETELY testing it in EVERY condition which I believe as untrue. He never claimed it would work in the cold or the hot. Only that it worked great for HIM! Opinions are like ass holes... Everyone has one.

I can completely understand why he went on the defensive here.

Try using emoticons or something when you post. That post comes off very negative IMO and to others as well by the looks of it.

Lets just let this go so I don't have to close the thread.

Chris

dandragonrage
09-18-2009, 05:01 AM
I'm going to say one last thing. You say he only said it worked well for him, but when you review a product, you have to consider that other people may buy (or avoid) said product due to what you write. What if (and I'm not saying this will happen, merely a possibility) a dozen users here read this glowing review, went and bought the stuff, paid someone to install it in their car (or spent time doing it themselves; I suppose it doesn't matter) and then winter comes and it starts falling off once the temperatures freeze?

All I have done is make sure people realize that.

Delete this post if you must but feel free to take responsibility (for the above scenario) if that happens ;)

Chewy
09-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Then it happens. He never said it wouldn't.

I think all mods and admin here will make sure that when you post up your thoughts that ALL scenarios are accounted for.

Chris