PDA

View Full Version : jetta GLI...wtf??!

gascap
09-15-2009, 06:07 PM
i've been waiting to get somebody to race me, and i get this today at lunch...

three of my friends and i went to MEXICO for lunch (well, a mexican restaurant). we got back in the car, headed out to the first intersection. the light turned green, and i pulled to the right to pass two slow SUVs and gave it some gas to get around them. I generally drive about 10 over, so i level out there shortly after, doing about 55. so i nonchalantly glanced in my rear view to see if i can get over to prepare for a left turn at the next light, and there is a black VW jetta coming FAST.

being the type a person that i am, i see this as a personal attack and decide that he must die. my buddy sitting shotgun is a racer, so he's good to go, the two in the back, they were less enthusiastic, but whatever. my car, my rules. :nah:

given his jump, i had to remain in D and just tried to push my foot to the vararam. i started to pull as he reached the rear doors, and that's as far as he got. i really started pulling away from him as i passed triple digits, and...FTW :boxing:

we started to approach the intersection, i jumped over to the left, and got in line. made the turn, he pulled up next to me, and got the benefit of somebody not driving 40mph in his lane. he glanced back with a little smirk, and drove past. i saw he was debadged, so i'm not sure quite what he had, but i assumed a GLI would be the only VW 4door with a shot at me...although that jump sure helped him.

i can see the mopar cars, the stangs, or the ricers taking a run...but a jetta? that's a new one. i guess beggars can't be choosers though.

Pugaracer
09-15-2009, 07:00 PM
LOL that is one thing I loved about my VW, I had the GTI not a GLI but same powerplant, is the surprised look guys would give me as I passed them or in most cases just kept up with them. That turbo/DSG combo really helps.

GeoffA
09-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Me too, my GTi is still fun to get on.

gascap
09-15-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah i was worried that things were going to go sour when he was 1/2 car back...new respect for them now. how are they from a dig?

Pugaracer
09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Just wanted to share :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GusEsYzvTJQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GusEsYzvTJQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MGMG8GT
09-16-2009, 05:44 AM
It does not take much money to give those cars a nice boost in power. Just feel good in knowing his car probably broke down a couple blocks away.

Chewy
09-16-2009, 05:50 AM
There's a guy in town with well over 300 FWHP in his TDI... Pretty sweet actually.

The turbo 4's and TDI's can be bumped up pretty well.

The VR6 is no pooch but not a race car by any means.

TuefelG8
09-16-2009, 08:00 AM
I beat a Mustang GT from a dig back in '06 in my MKV GTI. I'm guessing the kid just didn't know how to drive, because his car should've been faster. That little GTI was a blast to drive. Safe too, as I found out when a drunk Mexican (yes he was illegal) t-boned me in San Antonio a few days before Christmas that year, totalling the car. But I like my G8 better so I guess everything happens for a reason :)

esinger
09-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm going to see if I can find out who you were up against. I'm on a NC VW board and it sounds like maybe it was one of them.

familycaronROIDS!
09-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey dont 4 get you had 3 passengers - That dont help. Get a tune.

sflemon
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Congrats.

Come across my Jetta on the interstate, then we'll see what's up.

gascap
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
i'm working on getting a tune very soon, and the next time i run across him i hope he doesn't come out of nowhere. off a dig or at least a closer roll would be much preferred. though the lesson is learned...TC always off, always in sport.

and sflemon, i'm game once i get tuned...where you located?

gascap
09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I'd beware of a Jetta that calls you out on the highway, haha. I know mine would walk away from supercars on the highway... 400whp and less than 2500lbs is hard to beat!

lol i figure he has something crazy in his car...i weighed the pros and cons, and now i just realized a bigger con...i can handle losing, but not if it ends up on youtube

so i rephrase: sflemon, i'm game once i put in a tuned LS9....where you located?

jaxredg8
09-16-2009, 02:15 PM
lol i figure he has something crazy in his car...i weighed the pros and cons, and now i just realized a bigger con...i can handle losing, but not if it ends up on youtube

so i rephrase: sflemon, i'm game once i put in a tuned LS9....where you located?

Hell, I'm game now. But again, depends on where you are located sflemon. Come on gascap, have some fun shit-talking!!

esinger
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Stan's located in Greensboro, NC. He's got a pretty powerful Jetta Dyno wise, but I'm waiting for him to go to the dragstrip.

Come on Stan, there's a Test and Tune at Piedmont Dragway on Sunday Oct 11th. Let see what that beast will do!

esinger
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Here's the thread on NC Dubs that I started.

http://forums.ncdubs.org/showthread.php?t=16588

nathanf2009
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM
whats up with all the VW owners on here....and i read through that post...much shit talking in the VW community I see..

esinger
09-17-2009, 04:03 AM
VW's are actually pretty fun to drive. You should take one out for a spin sometime.

Most my love for VW is in the Scirocco. I had one in college and really enjoyed driving it around. It's a peppy little car that handles really well. It was not uncommon to see them at AutoX events. My car in college is long gone, but I promised myself I'd get another one someday and that day was 3 years ago.

As far as the shit talking, it's just part of car enthusiast’s egos.

MGMG8GT
09-17-2009, 06:22 AM
The "VW scene" has a larger % of morons, however, than most enthusiast groups I've ever met.

The aircooled VW guys, the MK2 guys, heck even MK3 guys are all pretty cool for the most part. The MK4+ guys are all about how many mm drop you can get, tire stretch and shocker stickers. It's so cliche it makes my head hurt.

sflemon
09-17-2009, 06:34 AM
I had a GT3076. A Precision 6062 shows up Friday. It's really fun on the interstate, but can't get it to stop destroying axles with beefy tires. Best I can do now is just set the EBC low to get going from stop lights.

It did 376whp on 22 lbs and 93 oct with the GT3076. I hope I can match a guy that went with the 6062 recently. He doesn't have a big-port head or intake manifold, but made 508whp on the 6062 at 32 psi, 93 oct.

The 1991 may get synchro/4-motion if the swap is successful and can save the cash.

esinger
09-17-2009, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=MGM GT;146891]Scirocco!!!! I had a 86 Rocco with a big cam on dual side drafts with a close ratio trans with a quaife. It also had a cage and suspension prepped for road racing. Loved that car so much fun to drive!QUOTE]

I'm keeping my Scirocco as close to stock as possible. It seems that finding them in stock form is getting pretty rare, when I saw mine come up on Ebay I jumped on it.

MGMG8GT, I’ve been talked into going to H2O up in Ocean City, Maryland next weekend, so I’ll report back on that accuracy of your statements. Generally speaking I think your not too far off.

Stan, you really need to take a walk on the RWD side. You seemed to be thinking in that direction at one point in time, but somehow you got lost.

MGMG8GT
09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=MGM GT;146891]Scirocco!!!! I had a 86 Rocco with a big cam on dual side drafts with a close ratio trans with a quaife. It also had a cage and suspension prepped for road racing. Loved that car so much fun to drive!QUOTE]

I'm keeping my Scirocco as close to stock as possible. It seems that finding them in stock form is getting pretty rare, when I saw mine come up on Ebay I jumped on it.

MGMG8GT, I’ve been talked into going to H2O up in Ocean City, Maryland next weekend, so I’ll report back on that accuracy of your statements. Generally speaking I think your not too far off.

Stan, you really need to take a walk on the RWD side. You seemed to be thinking in that direction at one point in time, but somehow you got lost.

Have fun at Waterfest. Just stay away from whatever Kool-Aid makes "dubbers", by and far, retarded. As long as you stay a "VW enthusiast" I think you'll be okay!

esinger
09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Just stay away from whatever Kool-Aid makes "dubbers", by and far, retarded.

My College/Frat days are way behind me now. Years of reaching and exceeding my level of intoxication has taught me how to enjoy a good buzz without stepping over the line.

sflemon
09-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Nothing says I can't still get something RWD at some point. Swapping the 3076 for the 6062 is costing me nothing, straight trade. The 1990 GLI I got only cost me $700 out of pocket. Otherwise, I would have never done this. Not worth dumping money into another fwd car.

I really like Eric's G8, it's really nice. But I really want a C5 Corvette. Maybe save up for a couple years.