PDA

View Full Version : The G8 must be a true piece of shit. (RIP)

R.Penguin
09-15-2009, 10:26 AM
All I read on G8 forums is what creaky, sloppy, noisy, problem infested hunks of crap the G8's are.

I hope I don't put the hex on my current G8 GT, but I have never had one single issue of ANY kind with either the '08 (11K) or the '09 (5K).

Not one tiny little trip to any dealer, ever. Never had to repair anything myself either.

So, before the firestorm of rightious indignation from the multitude that have massive problems with this car, I will make the only comment that any sane person could make after reading post after post about true and actual problems that owners have experienced ad infinitum. I am NOT questioning the existence of these problems. Many of them quite serious.

" The Pontiac G8 should never have been brought to market in the first place and we are all fortunate that this devilish beast has been put to rest forever."

I can only guess that Holden LTD. saved every defective, lemon infested Commodore ever made in a lot in the desert and saw a chance to dump them all by putting a different hood and some Pontiac badging on and cramming them all into big boats to America. Those that have had problems will assuredly jump me with nasty posts. Once again, I do not question the existece of your problems. I weep for you, as we all had such high hopes for this car, only to have them dashed on the rocks of shitty-ness.

Please understand, I am not doubting the veracity of these complaints, nor the reality of the problems.

Just tired of reading this stuff. No doubt one day I will get what's coming to me when I start having the same problems.
So, in conclusion, I repeat the opening statement: "The G8 must be a true piece of shit."

Now, I have met and gotten to really like many folks on the forum, and I know that they will read this post all the way through before exploding in rightious indignation. As to the few that don't or can't, I don't like you anyway.

So,I quietly put down my mouse, back away from the computer, and wish you all the best in resolving this mess in whatever way works best for each individual. :(

wagon540
09-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I was thinking the same thing as you. Just wouldn't have said it quite as eloquently. But then again i don't speak penguinese.

BlueJacket
09-15-2009, 10:52 AM
A lot of it has to do with the fact that there are a number of G8 owners who are spoiled douche bags and no mater what they have it will never be good enough for them.

majesticix
09-15-2009, 10:58 AM
eh, how many times does somebody leave positive feedback. However, if you run into a problem, all hell breaks loose. Most people who aren't having problems with their G8's are likely enjoying them and not posting much. Those of us with problems, of course want solutions, and we want them now.

I for one am very happy with my car....and I've had quite a few problems :) That I think says it all. For all the issues those of us had with our cars, how many still enjoy them? I'm betting a few hands will show. Most G8 owners I would guess are pretty picky and budget-minded. A tough crowd to please indeed. I for one am glad the G8 made its way over to the states and I'm quite proud to own one. I can only hope my second engine lives to see past 12,000 miles.

Chewy
09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
It's VERY common on sites to hear ALL the negatives because they are solved a lot of times by bringing them up on a forum.

Overall my car is a love hate relationship. Other then the motor mount, lower control arm, radius rod and the cheap paint, I really love the car. It can't be beat for the money IMO.

That being said...

It may be my last GM for a while.

We'll see. I could drive a CTS I guess...

Chris

Devilish34
09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I love my car but hate how much mods cost.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

MANOFSTEEL69
09-15-2009, 11:34 AM
As much as I initially loved the G8, the longer I have it, the less I like it. The drive line is has really let the air out of my sails. I have to be almost afraid to go WOT with it for fear something will break. For those of you with out "any" issues I'm truley envious because I miss that giddy feeling I used to get every time I biumped the key and raised the garage door.
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

NYG8GT
09-15-2009, 11:38 AM
My car is leaving a lot to be desired *at this point* between the shitty transmission (my wifes Equinox shifts smoother!!), terrible mileage in city driving even with a light foot (15mpg wtf) and the creaking front suspension that I have no time to get looked at because of my work schedule. I still love the car and its the nicest one I've ever personally owned, but its the little things that can ruin part of the experience. If I can ever get the shift flare resolved and get the front suspension fixed, I'll be a lot happier.

VegasNate
09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. And I live in the most unlucky place on earth!!

SRG963
09-15-2009, 11:49 AM
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/Thread%20Pictures/ballsacking5xn.jpg

travis gore
09-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I love my car.I have had only 1 issue a bad tire. took it to dealer and was replaced. It is by far the nicest car I have owned. As far as gas mileage WHAT THE F##k are you guys thinking it is a 6.0 361 hp if you do not like it get the f##k rid of it and buy a pruis.:hang:

r33pwrd
09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Mine has been OK but than again I have owned GM cars / trucks / SUVs for a long time so im use to the creaky interior... I really think it comes down to some people being over anal with their cars.

The only real issues I have has was a bad key fob and a horrible rear suspension clank (still need to get that fixed) other than that my only real compaint is how hard the interior is to keep clean but im the jack ass who bought a black interior :)

MitsukiGT
09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
As far as gas mileage WHAT THE F##k are you guys thinking it is a 6.0 361 hp if you do not like it get the f##k rid of it and buy a pruis.:hang:

Geez, sounds just like the guys over on the "other" board.

Chewy
09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Geez, sounds just like the guys over on the "other" board.

Agreed! I average 20mpg with mixed driving but 2/3rds is highway.

Rayvan
09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
I love my inexpensive, absolutely reliable, no-problem ever, BMW killing piece of shit.

SpeedRacerX
09-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I still love this car. My intention was to drive it with some slight modding (not too crazy) for about 5 years and then give it to my son at that time.

But boy...you read the "other board especially" and it makes you want to sell your car or go hang yourself from all the negativity.

Aside from the two recalls, mine hasn't been in for service yet for anything. I do have "the oil leak" that I have to get looked at but that's it. Warranty.

The stuff you read does make you think - actually what it really makes me think about is not about the quality of the stock vehicle - but about how much modding this car can take before stuff breaks. Most production cars have a tolerance for some modding. Go far past that and I would expect any production vehicle to become temprimental. Unless, of course, you replace all the stock parts with parts that are built to take the abuse. A stock production vehicle is not meant to be treated like a race car - something will break.

I will admit that I keep getting these "second chance" extended warranty offers in the mail from GM since I'm still under 12,000 miles. Given what we hear, I just might get it as a precaution.

I will continue to sensibly mod my car since it is my DD and because I can't afford to be without a car or without a warranty at this time. I have too much fun with this car - it has become my new hobby.

For what you get for the money, it is still hard to beat - even with a few warranty things going wrong for some. You can't be overly-picky at this price range and for what you are getting.

Oh, and 600HP Ferraris and Lamborghinis are temprimental and have issues too. The higher horsepower you go - even released from the factory - the greater potential to put stress on everything in/on the car and on its longevity - UNLESS you build the crap out of it all around it - but that equals a ton of extra money or paying more from the factory.

I've owned an 88 and a 92 Vette. Both had some issues. The new ones are better now - dare I say, internationally accepted now... A few more years in the States for the G8 and all the bugs would have been worked out I would think. Then again, why aren't the AUS cars having these issues. Crap, here we go again - full circle.

Like someone else indicated: if something does go wrong, you won't get a complaint out of me - I'll just want to know what caused it, how do I fix it, and then move on. I think we can do that without sound like we're whining.

chipman283
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I wish I could get 15 MPG, I only get about 13.5-14 MPG, might just be my heavy foot. Other than a few small problems (paint, window off track) I LOVE my car.

GM_Fan
09-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I love my car. I want GM to make a couple improvements with the drive shaft. Once GM gets that fixed I'm going to be one happy SOB. I love driving my G8. I've babied it it's first year. I need to start driving it more.

09gtt
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
I am trying to teach myself to just be happy with the things I got..I am very fortunate to have a car like this and love the car.. If it has problems big deal every car has problems. Yesterday I was at my mechanics and he has a new cts-v that is incredible. Some customers came by didn't even look at the cts that was parked next to me all the kept talking about was my car. There is no doubt I would take the cts over my car in a second but it was pretty cool watching them look over the car not knowing it was mine..

familycaronROIDS!
09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Im cool with mine - Keep in mind some people who buy $150,000 dllr cars sometimes have issues too. It's a car some have problems most don't.

Go to ANY dealer and you will see their are always new cars in their shop.

jaxredg8
09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I dont think I've had any problems with mine but its probably because not to much thats left over is stock!! LOL Seriously though, I feel for those of you who have had problems. I have had one problem but the worst part of that situation was getting the parts to fix it. I waited 29 days for an alternator. Alternators break, I understand that. But to have absolutely 0 in the states and to wait 29 days for an alternator to float its way here in a damn kangaroo from Down Under? That was painful. So like has been said on here before, if it breaks, fix it. Just hope your part isnt coming from Australia and your kangaroo doesnt drown on the way!

stryker g8gt
09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
The stuff you read does make you think - actually what it really makes me think about is not about the quality of the stock vehicle - but about how much modding this car can take before stuff breaks. Most production cars have a tolerance for some modding. Go far past that and I would expect any production vehicle to become temprimental. Unless, of course, you replace all the stock parts with parts that are built to take the abuse. A stock production vehicle is not meant to be treated like a race car - something will break.

I agree, I have moded the heck out my last couple of new cars and trucks. the more mod moeny spent the more things go wrong........ I have warped axles, trashed trannys, and other items....but I deserved it all. MORE POWER!!!!!!!

Once I get a pernament fix on the drivers seat trim i will be happy....5th or 6th time it has broke now.

Blackrider
09-15-2009, 03:12 PM
My current list of problems I've had with my G8 includes.

A few small interior rattles that come and go and cant be herd with the volume on moderate.
Whiny Alternator
Creaky sunroof
Bad oil drain plug
Blow speaker (probably my fault)
I've also had a small transmission issue, but it never came back.

My G6 had 2 new transmissions and 11 trips to the dealer before its first birthday. Anyway I look at it my G8's doing pretty good. I've yet to have any of the suspension issues other people have had.

If you're so unhappy with your car that you need to bitch about it all the time, GET RID OF IT! Try a Ford, they seam to be doing good things lately.

Jordie

caretaker
09-15-2009, 04:23 PM
My list of problems with my G8.

1.) Ummm..... OH YEAH! I haven't had any.

Car has never been back to the dealer!

Used to be that people would say "Never buy the first year of
any new car model". Well, some of us, including me did.
And boy, am I glad I did. Any vehicle can have problems.
I've had GM, Ford, MOPAR, AMC, Toyota, and Honda vehicles,
and usually had a few minor issues with most of them.

But, as far as the G8 goes, I love this car. You can see in my sig
the few mods I have done. This is probably all I will do for a while.

I'm still getting 26+ MPG on the highway even with the SuperChips
93 octane tune, AFM turned off and torque at 125%. My around
town mileage has gone down a little to about 18-19 because with
the tune I am driving more aggressively.

All in all, this is the best, most fun vehicle I have had this lifetime
so far, and I have gone the gamit from a '74 Honda Civic, to
a '78 Corvette, '95 Firbird and many others in between.

I sympathize with those who have had problems but sh*t happens.

F.Y.I. - I will hit 34,000 miles driving home this Friday from Baltimore.

mfox
09-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Lets see
Dealer Trip #1 - Refinish all brake rotors
Trip #2 - Replace both headlight assemblies due to fogging
Trip #3 - Repaint entire front clip due to thin paint
Trip #4 - Replace windshield due to distortion.
Trip #5 - Replace all tires with Michelins to try and rid of 85-105Km steering wheel shake.
Trip #6 - Fix rattle in drivers side door.
Trip #7 - Front right control arm
Trip #8 - Replace 2 rear tires,road force balance, change alignment,phase drive shaft - Still F'n shaking steering wheel.

OH I'M HAPPY AS SHIT with MY G8 GT !!!!!!:woohoo:
Oh yea, just over 20,000 km now.

majesticix
09-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I've been driving GM vehicles all my life. I've come to expect little quirks here and there with GM. Ignorance is bliss :)

mika
09-15-2009, 04:57 PM
This is my first GM product. After owning Fords(Mustang, Taurus SHO, SVT Focus, Lightning), Subaru's('02 WRX, '04 STi, '08 Legacy GT), and a few Toyota's('84 pickup, '03 Tundra, '06 Corolla), I gotta say that I'm impressed with the G8. My issue was raildust on the paint and the thinness of the paint, but Subaru paint was just as bad.

So far, no regrets. In fact I'm looking at a GTP as a second car to keep the miles off the G8. Not that I drive a whole lot. 6200 miless in 8 months.

Mika

96Prix
09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Lets see
Trip #5 - Replace all tires with Michelins to try and rid of 85-105Km steering wheel shake.
Trip #8 - Replace 2 rear tires,road force balance, change alignment,phase drive shaft - Still F'n shaking steering wheel.

I understand that the theme of your post is that at the end of the day you're happy with the G8, but your list serves as a good example of why some people have a neverending list of problems, while some have none. I had a TPMS sensor reprogrammed the day I bought the car and haven't had any issues since. That said, I would have probably lived with most of what you've listed. It's sort of a "to each his own" thing. You've either got a great dealer that is taking great care of you, or you have spent many an hour bitching to get things done. For me, I bought my car 90 miles away and won't set foot in the local dealer's shop, so it's pretty much a hassle to get anything done. What I'm saying is that perception plays a big role in the level of satisfaction. Obviously I mean that in general, and I think it's great that you find the G8 worth it. I am also happy as shit with mine!

I don't see myself being satisfied with anything else GM makes when the G8 begins getting long in the tooth unless something comes out of left field. The CTS is a great car, but it's a little too much lux and not enough sport.

Top Speed
09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
12K miles - only issue is the gas cap that occasionally comes loose. Other than that I can't complain.

stryker g8gt
09-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Lets see

AH! I see the problem your using the metric system.......lol j/k

WickedMom
09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
terrible mileage in city driving even with a light foot (15mpg wtf)

isnt 15mpg city what our window stickers said?

I will admit that I keep getting these "second chance" extended warranty offers in the mail from GM since I'm still under 12,000 miles. Given what we hear, I just might get it as a precaution.

be careful, there are a lot of scams out there that take your money and the warranty covers 3 pistons and the water pump, but only if you change your oil every 3 months or 3k miles. GM would not be sending you junk mail about a warranty that is not close to expiring. I see these all the time.

I wish I could get 15 MPG, I only get about 13.5-14 MPG, might just be my heavy foot.

+1, ever since I got my CAI I have not seen over 13 around town... damn car sounds soooo good at 3500 rpms

AH! I see the problem your using the metric system.......lol j/k

lol.

sweetair
09-15-2009, 06:44 PM
A few problems here as well.

1.Rear main seal leak------fixed under warranty.
2.TCM replaced and new tranny gaskets, updated programming.Warranty
3.two recalls done---warranty
4.New front bumper cover-----crack on Original----Good will/Warranty
5.Sunroof air dam piece replaced-------warranty
6.Gas cap loosens-----will watch for replacement
7.Creaky sun roof when reversing out of driveway while open. No Big Deal.
Most annoying was #1 & #2. The tranny sticking in 2nd gear was the biggest issue.

Since all repairs and 5k miles later..........ZERO issues.

Always had Fords. I LOVE THIS RIDE. My wife's Saab just went in yesterday for warranty issue for a replacement of the coolant reservior tank and a re-programming of the passenger window switch that was causing the window to bounce back down.

Things happen----look at Toyota's 96k vehicle recall just last week.

BlackGT5
09-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I love my car and have only taken it to the dealer for one recall. Then again, I am not one that complains about every little noise. However, I do think the PBM cars were made with more love:nah:

NYG8GT
09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
isnt 15mpg city what our window stickers said?

Yeah, but I thought that would be the low end and I might get maybe 1-2mpg better than that, not to mention the tune hasnt done a god damn thing. Then I read some people getting high teens around the city, and it just makes no sense to me. When trucks are getting the same mileage as I am, there is something wrong. Hell, 4 speed auto LS1 F-bodies that are only 400 pounds lighter than my car are getting way better city mileage. Its not a deal breaker for me; I would just think it could do a bit better with 6 speeds, such a low rear gear, gobs of low end torque not requiring high rpm's, and modern engine management. *shrugs* whateva

Whenever I can get the car buttoned up and 100% solid, I'll be a very happy man. I definitely love it a LOT more than I hate it :spank:

mikeen
09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I just returned from a 4880 mile trip in my GT with over 21000 miles on it and can tell you I have no problems so far.

24.7 mpg with all kinds of driving conditions and 75 to 85 miles per hour on hwy I think mpg is ok.

Oh I guess one complaint would be my :butt: is sore.

johnbell2
09-15-2009, 07:25 PM
- minor steering wheel shake fixed by keeping all four tires at 39 psi, done and done

- sunroof only started getting loose after someone backed into me in a parking lot, resulting in replacement fender, been tightened once and is loosening up again but overall no big deal

- slight buzz behind my left ear when driving on occasion, goes away after a while, fixed by louder radio

- silver door trim on driver door sill slightly warped and starting to peel off, after 104F heat and shop monkeys fixing the wrecked fender I'm not surprised so I let it slide

- driver seat trim/control panel is pooched out and there is a slight gap now, that's what I get for sitting in a chair all day, working on "fat ass removal" mod to address this issue

- didn't come with a jack and spare, fixed by ordering jack and spare :)

- transmission terminally confused from factory, fixed with Superchips and build 121 has it running like a scalded ape, since I was going to 'chip it anyway I didn't care what the factory tune was like

- I averaged a little under 30 mph on my last tank of gas and still got 18.6 mpg with DOD disabled, can't stop grinning about that totally unexpected

Anything after that was just being nervous about having a new car and getting through the "buyer's remorse" stage. That and being run into TWICE within the space of 3000 miles :puke:

Overall this car still lives up to my expectation of "four door Corvette" and I consider my mid-life crisis purchase to be a success. The only major thing I'm upset about is I won't get a chance to buy another when the time comes to replace this one - may that day be a loooooong time coming.

Panzer Leader
09-15-2009, 07:47 PM
RECAP

Only unresolved issue is front suspension. Combination of two (2) subissues, one GM w/lower arms and second, a probable installation alignment with the front struts (Not GMs Issue).

Milage on the Highway @ 70MPH : 27MPG based on the DIC, Actual more like almost 29-30MPG

Past resolved issues, left lower arm, strut tower bushings and bearings, gas cap, resurface front rotors, TPMS recall, road force balance.

At 75 MPH car is extremely well handling and stable, no wheel shimmy.

As is now matches a BMW 5 Series, maybe exceedes it.

Executor999
09-15-2009, 08:01 PM
There is no perfect car out there that is not going to have it's share of problems. Cars and their parts take a beating when you consider the extreme temperature range they deal with every time you turn them on as well as the elements they deal with across four seasons out of the year. And if you like playing with your car and goose it all the time and drag it regularly, chances are eventually something's going to break.

Obviously G8 owners are experiencing a variety of problems; some are common and some are obscure. I've been lucky enough not to have any oil leaks or transmission fluid leaks but am suspicious of the ball joint issues everyone has talked about. I'm eventually going to get them checked out. That doesn't mean I'm going to sell or dump my car.

Penguin has a point, however harsh it may sound. If you own the G8 and like it enough, find a solution and enjoy it. The G8 is the end of an era.

SpeedRacerX
09-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah, but I thought that would be the low end and I might get maybe 1-2mpg better than that, not to mention the tune hasnt done a god damn thing. Then I read some people getting high teens around the city, and it just makes no sense to me. When trucks are getting the same mileage as I am, there is something wrong. Hell, 4 speed auto LS1 F-bodies that are only 400 pounds lighter than my car are getting way better city mileage. Its not a deal breaker for me; I would just think it could do a bit better with 6 speeds, such a low rear gear, gobs of low end torque not requiring high rpm's, and modern engine management. *shrugs* whateva

Whenever I can get the car buttoned up and 100% solid, I'll be a very happy man. I definitely love it a LOT more than I hate it :spank:

FWIW, we actually have a "high" rear gear. :)
The lower the number, the "higher" the rear.
The manual GXPs higher numbered 3.70 would be considered a "lower" rear.

Back to your topic and my theory relating to city gas mileage, our cars are geared too high (GT has a 2.92).

With the 6-speed auto, as you know, they are monsters on the highway and I'm sure the gear was meant to help GM meet fuel targets.

But I am of the opinion that if you were to put the 3.27 or 3.45 gear in our 6-speed GTs, you would actually get better city gas mileage with hopefully negligible change on the highway considering how low they rev already.

The lower gear (higher number) will get our heavy car moving easier, with less throttle input, and with less stress on the trans.

One person I talked to who has done the 3.45 gear swap told me he gets better city gas mileage.

The extra several tenths in the quarter is a nice result too.

Sorry to thread jack.

99-LS1-SS
09-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Once I get my drive line vibration taken care of I will be 100% happy. Right now I'm only 99% happy with my car.

From my perspective, it's exactly what I was expecting and wanted.
4 doors (check)
LS3 motor (check)
manual transmission (check)

The rest is insignificant to me. It's fun to drive and pretty quick for a heavy ass tank.

00 Trans Ram
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Quick list of all my problems:

1) Corded the inside of the right front tire during a track day while keeping up with and passing a E46 BMW M3 (stripped, road race car).
2) Overheated the brake pads on the same day
3) Got less than 8mpg while racing all day long
4) Passenger airbag light is too bright
5) Will only reach 139mph in .75 miles
6) Every time I get into the car after letting it sit in the sun, the seat is hot (WTF is that all about?!!)
7) People area always staring at the car in parking lots and at redlights
8) It makes my friends feel self-conscious because they spent 50% more on their Audi RS4s, BMW M3s and Mercedes C-series, but my G8GT is faster and prettier

Given all those things, I'm probably going to sell my car. It's just a complete crapcan. Can you believe that it hasn't even given me ONE EXCUSE to go visit the nice people at my dealership? WTF?!

Screw that, I'm not selling it. I'm giving it away. I don't even want to bother with the hassle of selling it.

Seriously, people. You bought a 360hp, 4-door sedan, with fit and finish that rivals a $40k Audi, performance better than a $60k E-class MB, and better looks than a $50k 5-series BMW. Not only this, but it's more reliable than those cars!! You think you have problems with your car? Try owning a 2002 BMW 745i!! If you want trouble-free driving, buy a basic, white Camry and blend in with the rest of the sheeple on the road.

BlueJacket
09-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Quick list of all my problems:

1) Corded the inside of the right front tire during a track day while keeping up with and passing a E46 BMW M3 (stripped, road race car).
2) Overheated the brake pads on the same day
3) Got less than 8mpg while racing all day long
4) Passenger airbag light is too bright
5) Will only reach 139mph in .75 miles
6) Every time I get into the car after letting it sit in the sun, the seat is hot (WTF is that all about?!!)
7) People area always staring at the car in parking lots and at redlights
8) It makes my friends feel self-conscious because they spent 50% more on their Audi RS4s, BMW M3s and Mercedes C-series, but my G8GT is faster and prettier

Given all those things, I'm probably going to sell my car. It's just a complete crapcan. Can you believe that it hasn't even given me ONE EXCUSE to go visit the nice people at my dealership? WTF?!

Screw that, I'm not selling it. I'm giving it away. I don't even want to bother with the hassle of selling it.

Seriously, people. You bought a 360hp, 4-door sedan, with fit and finish that rivals a $40k Audi, performance better than a $60k E-class MB, and better looks than a $50k 5-series BMW. Not only this, but it's more reliable than those cars!! You think you have problems with your car? Try owning a 2002 BMW 745i!! If you want trouble-free driving, buy a basic, white Camry and blend in with the rest of the sheeple on the road.

What a POS.

r33pwrd
09-16-2009, 08:34 AM
with fit and finish that rivals a $40k Audi, performance better than a $60k E-class MB

????? Well the E class is a luxory car not a perfomace car so what do you expect? Fit and finish of an Audi?? I think you need to make a stop at an Audi dealership and report back :)

The G8 is an example of you get what you pay for! The G8 is far from luxory and honestly it is almst the opposite. There is NO luxory about this car! It is a pefromace drivers car (like you said above) if speed is what you want at a decent price a G8 is for you! If you demand a perfect ride and mild to wild performace a MB or BMW is perfect for you. If money aint a thing a E63 or M5 is all of the above!

I love my G8 for what it is! A low price 4 door perfomace car. I do admit when I ride in my friend 5 series I get jealous of how nice the interior is but that again I spent 1/2 what he did so what can I expect...

MitsukiGT
09-16-2009, 09:21 AM
????? Well the E class is a luxury car not a performance car so what do you expect? Fit and finish of an Audi?? I think you need to make a stop at an Audi dealership and report back :)

The G8 is an example of you get what you pay for! The G8 is far from luxury and honestly it is almost the opposite. There is NO luxury about this car! It is a performance drivers car (like you said above) if speed is what you want at a decent price a G8 is for you! If you demand a perfect ride and mild to wild performance a MB or BMW is perfect for you. If money aint a thing a E63 or M5 is all of the above!

I love my G8 for what it is! A low price 4 door performance car. I do admit when I ride in my friend 5 series I get jealous of how nice the interior is but that again I spent 1/2 what he did so what can I expect...

LOL, feels like a luxury car to me! Take a drive in my Sunfire or TB and then tell me the G8 isn't a luxury car!

johnh
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I had less problems with my 04 GTP. (Essentially 0 dealer visits for warranty).

This G8 has been in three times for wheel shake.
Its presently getting the Oil Pan Gasket replaced (a 9.5 hr job!)
It has a front suspension rattle (being looked at).

I think the interior materials are really subpar..they scratch way too easily. My G8 looks rougher after a year, than the GTP did after 4.

I like it still, but don't love it like I used to.

todds87ss
09-16-2009, 04:39 PM
All I read on G8 forums is what creaky, sloppy, noisy, problem infested hunks of crap the G8's are.

I hope I don't put the hex on my current G8 GT, but I have never had one single issue of ANY kind with either the '08 (11K) or the '09 (5K).

Not one tiny little trip to any dealer, ever. Never had to repair anything myself either.

So, before the firestorm of rightious indignation from the multitude that have massive problems with this car, I will make the only comment that any sane person could make after reading post after post about true and actual problems that owners have experienced ad infinitum. I am NOT questioning the existence of these problems. Many of them quite serious.

" The Pontiac G8 should never have been brought to market in the first place and we are all fortunate that this devilish beast has been put to rest forever."

I can only guess that Holden LTD. saved every defective, lemon infested Commodore ever made in a lot in the desert and saw a chance to dump them all by putting a different hood and some Pontiac badging on and cramming them all into big boats to America. Those that have had problems will assuredly jump me with nasty posts. Once again, I do not question the existece of your problems. I weep for you, as we all had such high hopes for this car, only to have them dashed on the rocks of shitty-ness.

Please understand, I am not doubting the veracity of these complaints, nor the reality of the problems.

Just tired of reading this stuff. No doubt one day I will get what's coming to me when I start having the same problems.
So, in conclusion, I repeat the opening statement: "The G8 must be a true piece of shit."

Now, I have met and gotten to really like many folks on the forum, and I know that they will read this post all the way through before exploding in rightious indignation. As to the few that don't or can't, I don't like you anyway.

So,I quietly put down my mouse, back away from the computer, and wish you all the best in resolving this mess in whatever way works best for each individual. :(

Very well put. And I am NOT exploding in rightious indignation; I am awash in exuberent apathy. :woohoo:
The only problems I have had (much like life) have been brought on by the things that I have chosen to do.
This continues to be the BEST new car I have EVER purchased. Ever. I am sure that I will be disappointed in whatever I end up with next.

r33pwrd
09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
LOL, feels like a luxury car to me! Take a drive in my Sunfire or TB and then tell me the G8 isn't a luxury car!

TB you mean Trailblazer?? Well I had a TBSS and it was much nicer inside to me than the G8.

Struggle
09-16-2009, 05:29 PM
All I know is the last Pontiac we owned was bought new (wife bought it pre dating my arrival:secret:) and it was a 1990 TransAm and it was no where near as nice as this G8.

Her TransAm was like a Yugo compared to this car.:flame:

jaxredg8
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Mine wont stop burning the tires to the rim! If I cant find a way to fix that shit, its gone! My Discount Tire card is always hot from swiping and my hand hurts from signing all the credit card statements. This has to stop!!

Panzer Leader
09-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Mine wont stop burning the tires to the rim! If I cant find a way to fix that shit, its gone! My Discount Tire card is always hot from swiping and my hand hurts from signing all the credit card statements. This has to stop!!

The Humanity!!!

MitsukiGT
09-17-2009, 11:26 AM
TB you mean Trailblazer?? Well I had a TBSS and it was much nicer inside to me than the G8.

I have the normal version and it is a LT. Also my Sierra LTZ is nowhere near as nice inside as the G8.

Struggle
09-17-2009, 12:14 PM

I have given several ride in ours to neighbors and am thinking of a flat rate of $10 per ride to cover tire replacement:nah:

Ktlplxm
09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I had less problems with my 04 GTP. (Essentially 0 dealer visits for warranty).

This G8 has been in three times for wheel shake.
Its presently getting the Oil Pan Gasket replaced (a 9.5 hr job!)
It has a front suspension rattle (being looked at).

I think the interior materials are really subpar..they scratch way too easily. My G8 looks rougher after a year, than the GTP did after 4.

I like it still, but don't love it like I used to.

The 04 GTP also had the backing of years worth of trial&error and parts development and refinement.

To the general whiners:

As far as the M series and AMG's... they break just as often, require more maintenance, waaaay more expensive to maintain let alone mod, and get shitty mileage. If people don't like their cars, go sale the damn things. No one forces you to have them. As far as the avid performance Audi owner, how would they know how much abuse the cars will take? They aren't found at tracks very often, drag or road course. Most are traded before 30-40K so who knows about the longevity. Alot of the cars people compare their g8's to are twice to triple the cost, and the average buyer only buys the sportier models to impress his/her friends, not to drive aggressively.
Out of my local G8 owners, who just drive the cars how they were intended, none have had any issue that isn't expected with any vehicle. We've got one guy that bitches about his trans not shifting the way he want's but his lazy ass never goes to the dealer to get it addressed, I guess he hopes the shift fairy will visit him at night. For the People that want all the luxury, the smooth ride, the acceleration, the braking, the handling of a $80K car..GO BUY ONE

Oh yeah, I forgot, they only want to pay $30K

pokey
09-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I wish the door striker fairy would pay me a visit.

Do I wish I had less problems, yes...but I "got what I paid for" any other issues I find will be corrected by dealer, me, or my shrink. ;)
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

R.Penguin
09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Very well put. And I am NOT exploding in rightious indignation; I am awash in exuberent apathy. :woohoo:
The only problems I have had (much like life) have been brought on by the things that I have chosen to do.
This continues to be the BEST new car I have EVER purchased. Ever. I am sure that I will be disappointed in whatever I end up with next.
Well fellow G8888r's, this not what I really expected. I just got back from the trade show in Portland at 1:00AM, so this is my first chance to read these posts. I really do agree with the mostly positive responses....wholeheartedly. (is that a word?) :huh:

I am, in fact, proud of the mature responses to my obviously heavily baited post. Once again I am impressed with the intelligence and rationality of the members of this board.

No doubt some of you noticed that I did NOT post this over there<<<<<<<<<<<< on that whiney place. Had I done that, I would probably have at least 4-5 death threats and a crowd of um....people waving signs in my front yard.

Meantime, I appreciate the thoughful & rational responses, even though I did write the post in Penguinese......my bad! :rofl:

Anyway, with help from the weather, the penguinmobile is goin' racing tomorrow at Bremerton Raceway for the first time ever and I will keep an eye on the rearview to take note of any parts that come off during my first run:p

GT-610
09-18-2009, 01:02 PM
penguin.....you are respected here.period.people took a second to think before posting.thats what more people should do all the time.Great thread,love my car!

R.Penguin
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
penguin.....you are respected here.period.people took a second to think before posting.thats what more people should do all the time.Great thread,love my car!
I love mine too. I actually missed it this week when I had to drive the company Montero to Portland to haul my demo machine to a show. :wacko:

fcsuper
09-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Unless it's an M, BMW's aren't the luxury cars that many pretend them to be. From what I've seen, their interiors are actually fairly cheap and funky and do not "age" well. In terms of interior, I'd prefer an Infiniti or Acura (owned both) over a BMW any day...and you get MUCH MUCH more for your money (don't have to pay for every little "luxury" extra, because most of the important stuff is included in the base models). I've come to the conclusion that anyone that declares plan old 3 or 5 series BMWs as premier luxury cars either have not driven a BMW or have not driven other luxury cars.

Audi's are crap, from my observations. Stuff breaks down on them ALL THE TIME! Not just little stuff, but big stuff. They are about on par with VW in terms of reliability. A friend of mine is an Audi fan, and even he has to admit the problems he has with them is a lot.

Mercades are just plan expensive in the extreme to maintain. Some Mercades maintenance bills could be used to buy an entry-level car out right.

My Acura had its issues. Some stuff that would that would make your jaw drop as just how bad a luxury branded car can be.

And the funny part about all this? Some are trying to compare these crappy luxury cars with the G8, as if they are on par in class! Try comparing the G8 with its peers.

NYG8GT
09-20-2009, 06:19 AM
The 04 GTP also had the backing of years worth of trial&error and parts development and refinement.

The G8 also had this luxury in Australia and other parts of the world where the platform existed, yet here we are with shitty trans tunes and bad ball joints.

Ktlplxm
09-20-2009, 06:32 AM
The G8 also had this luxury in Australia and other parts of the world where the platform existed, yet here we are with shitty trans tunes and bad ball joints.

And yet it is a prevalent issue only here in the US. That means there is something different between the two. Trans tunes are tricky regardless, and they haven't had this trans any longer than we have. The A6's have had issues in the SUV's and Vettes as well. The cause of failure in the ball joints still hasn't been completely figured out, but it is noticeably higher in the suspension modified vehicles, than the 100% stock ones. I'm all for modding vehicles, as my vehicle proves, but that is an issue some have to accept.

I still think the entire thing comes down to the fact that as consumers we've gotten so used to throwing tantrums and getting our way, that all we do is complain, and the Internet makes it possible for people to feed each others' fires.

If there really was another car in this price range that offered all of the same benefits with none of the draw backs, how come everyone who dislikes their G8's hasn't run out and bought one? Simple; there isn't. If so please tell me so I can send PM's to people giving them directions to their nearest dealer

Seattle09GT
09-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Despite my screaming about the Bluetooth issue let me make it very clear, I LOVE my G8. LOVE IT. Holy ass crackers, a $30K car that can carry five in comfort with a trunk big enough for all their gear, get 24 to 25 MPH on the highway if you baby it, and run the 1/4 mile in 13.5ish at 105 MPH stock out of the box?!?!? Corvette derived engine, Cadillac tranny and rear end? For real?!? And $30K "base" G8 GT back in the day came equipped, not stripped - no ads running, "starting at $29,995 base price, $43,658 as shown in ad," bullshit like you see on so many other cars. GM got so much right on this thing.

As a founder of another auto fan club site for the Chevrolet Avalanche, these sites due create the illusion of "a lot" of problems, people want answers so they bitch here hoping someone had the same issue and got a better answer then they were getting. That is why I bitched about my Bluetooth here - didn't do much better than anyone else has but learned about the Parrot CK3000 system and then later learned a wiring harness exists. Hey, now I'm happy.

Thanks GM - thank you for building such a great car and keep production under 40K units. Thank you for only building 2,420 white G8 GTs in 2009 and 2009.5 - maybe one day mine will be collectible.

DolomiteG8
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
The longer I own my G8 the more I LOVE it. Over the last few months I have been to quite a few delearships to test drive cars, and I have got to say, for the $$$ none of them comes close to what the G8 offers. I've driven an Infinity G35s, Caddy CTS, Subaru Imprezza, Subaru Legacy, Camaro SS . . . all were very fine cars, but due to the price / lack of options, the G8 comes out a better balance and value.

The only "problem" I have with the G8 is it's sloppy shifting tranny. Every now and again, I get the 1 second delay on the stop when I smash to acclerator to GO, and the damn thing just sits there. I got the TCM update to address it, but it still does it. I get a little suspension squeek in the front if I let the car sit for a long while, but only hear it when I pull out, never when I am driving (Not sure what it is, but it's been there since day one).

Over the weekend I was pulling 29 MPG on a straight, long, level highway with the cruise set on 60 MPH (according to the trip computer). I had a slight tail wind, but this was sustained for over 40 miles. That was awesome! Got to love the 4 cylinder deactivation!

Bottom line, GM had a winner with this car. I'd buy another, but they decided to kill it. Is it perfect? NO, but it's a hell of a value for what it costs.

todds87ss
09-22-2009, 06:06 AM
Well fellow G8888r's, this not what I really expected. I just got back from the trade show in Portland at 1:00AM, so this is my first chance to read these posts. I really do agree with the mostly positive responses....wholeheartedly. (is that a word?) :huh:

I am, in fact, proud of the mature responses to my obviously heavily baited post. Once again I am impressed with the intelligence and rationality of the members of this board.

No doubt some of you noticed that I did NOT post this over there<<<<<<<<<<<< on that whiney place. Had I done that, I would probably have at least 4-5 death threats and a crowd of um....people waving signs in my front yard.

Meantime, I appreciate the thoughful & rational responses, even though I did write the post in Penguinese......my bad! :rofl:

Anyway, with help from the weather, the penguinmobile is goin' racing tomorrow at Bremerton Raceway for the first time ever and I will keep an eye on the rearview to take note of any parts that come off during my first run:p

Just got back from LMP here in Tx. Ran a 12.92. What surprised me most was the HUGE number of people who approached me in staging, wanting to know how the hell a 4 door family car is running 12s. Very nice.

danf1000
09-22-2009, 07:07 AM
no question it's the vocal few

G8+6=fun
09-22-2009, 08:08 AM
There is just one complaint I have with the G8 GT no brakes for the size of the car. Rotors warp constant with these cars. It takes forever to slow them down even at 80 MPh it is like a no brakes. Then within a week the rotors are warp again. They went cheap on this part. I just quit driving it and put it away for just a few trips into town. No big trips plan for the interstate....Unless GM comes up with a cure for this problem. I know some have no problems with them and some do like a shoe that fits one foot and not the other yet take the same size.

todds87ss
09-22-2009, 09:00 AM
There is just one complaint I have with the G8 GT no brakes for the size of the car. Rotors warp constant with these cars. It takes forever to slow them down even at 80 MPh it is like a no brakes. Then within a week the rotors are warp again. They went cheap on this part. I just quit driving it and put it away for just a few trips into town. No big trips plan for the interstate....Unless GM comes up with a cure for this problem. I know some have no problems with them and some do like a shoe that fits one foot and not the other yet take the same size.

While I have no doubt that you have brake issues, I doubt that they (GM) will fix anything. I have had them turn rotors when my GTO's started prematurely warping. I think you'll have to go with a quality aftermarket to get a real fix. Sounds like you have bigger problems, though, if you have no brakes from 80.

rez0nance
09-22-2009, 10:17 AM

A quick look at the performance numbers show that braking ability is definitely NOT a weak point for this car. Whether pedal feel is a problem or not, this car breaks amazingly well.

As far as warped rotors, have you checked the torque on your lug nuts? Doesn't matter how many times they change the rotors, if you have incorrect torque on them they WILL warp again.

Panzer Leader
09-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Try cryro treated rotors.

Rayvan
09-22-2009, 03:35 PM

Never any problem with my brakes, and I've stopped fast & hard from 130+ a few times. But then, I torque my lug nuts....

Magazines constistently show 60-0 stopping distances below 110 feet. That's better than 95% of the cars on the road, including some very expensive ones.

todds87ss
09-23-2009, 03:40 AM
A quick look at the performance numbers show that braking ability is definitely NOT a weak point for this car. Whether pedal feel is a problem or not, this car breaks amazingly well.

As far as warped rotors, have you checked the torque on your lug nuts? Doesn't matter how many times they change the rotors, if you have incorrect torque on them they WILL warp again.

I always spot torque mine (to around 50#)...still no problems. I think the torque issue is a generational issue left over from the 4 lug tuner cars. I could be wrong. And yes, the service folks will tell you to torque them, and to a lot higher value than I use. Sometimes there is no replacement for experience.
Not to pee in your corn flakes, but my wife also warps rotors on all of her cars prematurely. She likes to brake late...and hard...and often!:)

Ktlplxm
09-23-2009, 06:48 AM

I've used the brakes quite aggressively, and still have no problems with fade or warping. A few of those were very aggressive flying mile decelerations...no issues. Nice and smooth

Corvetteboy698805
09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
My wife actually picked out the G8, and after looking at forums like this, I ended up finding out how much it did have to offer, and after purchasing it, fell in love with it.
Its just tough, when at 500 miles your starter fails and leaves you stranded, and then at 1200 miles your told you need a new engine. Admittedly, all cars have probelms, but over the past 14 cars I have owned (4 being american - still own 3 being Vette's), I have never had these types of "large" failures, not to mention, this early in life. Maybe I have been lucky, and being around cars this much, your bound to have a new with big problems. Yes its under warranty, it will get fixed (although Im still leary if it will get done right), and I also expect little things here and there. But now I am worried what's in store after the warranty, if these big items come up again and its coming out of my pocket. That bargain peformance sedan, that is far less than anything out there with the same peformance, becomes less of a bargain, repair after repair.
Im trying to stay positive, but as I type, my GT is in the garage undergoing open heart surgery, 2 weeks now.
I hope I can come back on here an post how well the car has been doing, 10K, 30K, 90K, etc.!!!

SpeedRacerX
09-24-2009, 09:24 AM
My wife actually picked out the G8, and after looking at forums like this, I ended up finding out how much it did have to offer, and after purchasing it, fell in love with it.
Its just tough, when at 500 miles your starter fails and leaves you stranded, and then at 1200 miles your told you need a new engine. Admittedly, all cars have probelms, but over the past 14 cars I have owned (4 being american - still own 3 being Vette's), I have never had these types of "large" failures, not to mention, this early in life. Maybe I have been lucky, and being around cars this much, your bound to have a new with big problems. Yes its under warranty, it will get fixed (although Im still leary if it will get done right), and I also expect little things here and there. But now I am worried what's in store after the warranty, if these big items come up again and its coming out of my pocket. That bargain peformance sedan, that is far less than anything out there with the same peformance, becomes less of a bargain, repair after repair.
Im trying to stay positive, but as I type, my GT is in the garage undergoing open heart surgery, 2 weeks now.
I hope I can come back on here an post how well the car has been doing, 10K, 30K, 90K, etc.!!!

Thanks for your first post. This is a GRRRR8 Forum - plenty of real people here with helpful & honest info. Hang in there. You got a weird one.

markpetersonii
09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
OK, I am in the process of getting a G8GT (as a few of you may know). I have a G6 right now and a few stupid problems have occurred, like solenoid valves going bad, grounding wires withering away, warped rotors.

This, however, didn't make me HATE my car. I really liked the G6, I want to upgrade to the G8 for a few reasons.
#1: It will be my FIRST brand new car.
#2: It's a rare car and I want to stay with Pontiac as it disappears into the air.
#3: It has a V8! (My Dad is Jealous!)
#4: I am stationed on a Marine Base that is bigger than the county I am from and I have only seen 2 G8's!
#5: I want to be unique!

If there is any reason that I should not buy this car please let me know. I would really like a good explanation on it too.

Thank you!

majesticix
09-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Well the only reason I could throw out there is parts availability is a problem as we've all come to notice. Make sure you have a good dealer by you and make sure they give you free rentals in case you're ever down for an extended period of time due to parts on back order or what have you. Other than that, it's a smoking car.

You'll hear horror stories on here, but of the thousands of G8's out on the road, we make up only a few (and probably the most critical of folks). Just make sure before you drive off the lot, that they have updated the ECM/TCM to the latest (which has been a nuisance), fixed the ball joint boot covers (which should be fixed shortly), and addressed all recalls (which I know of only two older ones which should have been addressed already). Good luck and happy hunting!

markpetersonii
09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Thank you! I will keep that list handy and tell them about it before I get it!

00 Trans Ram
09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
First off, your rotors are not "warping". Brake rotors don't "warp".

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml#

If you are having problems with braking, there could be a few causes. I wanted to dispel the rumor of "rotor warp", not because I wanted to prove a point, but because I want to help you all find the REAL cause of your problems.

My first guess is that you have glazed pads. The stock pads have a certain temperature range. Because they are designed to work well from ambient temps (as low as negative degrees), they cannot handle high temps that well. Also, because they are long-lasting and have low dust, when you press them harder to brake more, you create even more heat than normal. What this does is "glaze" the surface of the pad. Basically, it becomes like glass, and your braking performance diminishes significantly. The best way to fix this is new pads, although you can try to de-glaze them (google the term).

Torquing lug nuts is another solution. 50# of torque is NOT enough. For race conditions, we use nothing less than 80#. I use 100#. And, conditions on the street are harder on lug nuts than racing (potholes, rain, bumpy streets, etc.).

Make sure that your calipers are working properly. Remove the rotors and reinstall the calipers. Can the sliding pin mechanism move freely with little effort? Do your bolts torque properly when holding the caliper on?

Now, look at your pads. Are they symmetrical? Is one end of the pad worn more than another (pad taper)? Is the outside of the pad worn more than the inside (caliper spread)? Is the pad material shiny (glazed)? Are portions of it shunked off (exceeded heat range)?

I abused the ever lovin' crap out of my brake about a year ago. Took the car to a road course with fellow racers (not a lapping day, everyone else had racecars). I was running down a race-prepped E46 M3. I was making the car do things that it never was meant to do, including slamming the brakes for all they were worth. When I returned to the pits, the wheel wells had some grass stuck in them, which the brakes caught on fire. My pads were glazed, but everything else was fine.

If you can, take a look at the brakes and let us know what you see. Also, some pics will help.

Gris
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=00 Trans Ram;149876]First off, your rotors are not "warping". Brake rotors don't "warp".

The link wasn't working, but what else would cause the brake pedal to pulse when the rotors aren't turned - why the need to turn the rotors at all? (I'm not arguing, would just like to know).

jaxredg8
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Well the only reason I could throw out there is parts availability is a problem as we've all come to notice. Make sure you have a good dealer by you and make sure they give you free rentals in case you're ever down for an extended period of time due to parts on back order or what have you. Other than that, it's a smoking car.

You'll hear horror stories on here, but of the thousands of G8's out on the road, we make up only a few (and probably the most critical of folks). Just make sure before you drive off the lot, that they have updated the ECM/TCM to the latest (which has been a nuisance), fixed the ball joint boot covers (which should be fixed shortly), and addressed all recalls (which I know of only two older ones which should have been addressed already). Good luck and happy hunting!

I can vouch for this one mark, after waiting 29 days for an alternator because there were none in the US. Had to order from Australia. I think they stuck the alternator in a kangaroo's pouch and the first one drowned somewhere in the ocean! But seriously, other than that I love the car! Good luck and as said above, you will hear horror stories but I think as a % we have pretty good reliable cars.

-Ray-
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=00 Trans Ram;149876]First off, your rotors are not "warping". Brake rotors don't "warp".

The link wasn't working, but what else would cause the brake pedal to pulse when the rotors aren't turned - why the need to turn the rotors at all? (I'm not arguing, would just like to know).

Radial runout. There is a spec for it. Since the pads are in a semi fixed position, having rotors that "wobble" force the pads out. It's hydraulic feedback you are feeling. Also, sometimes other materials get into the cast and get hardened over time. This can also prevent the pad from smooth breaking action.

Gris
09-25-2009, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Gris;149898]

Radial runout. There is a spec for it. Since the pads are in a semi fixed position, having rotors that "wobble" force the pads out. It's hydraulic feedback you are feeling. Also, sometimes other materials get into the cast and get hardened over time. This can also prevent the pad from smooth breaking action.

Thanks. What is radial runout & what causes it?

-Ray-
09-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Have you ever seen a vinyl album? When they aren't flat the needle has to move up and down to stay in contact.
The distance farthest from center usually has the most runout.
Cheap inexpensive rotors suffer from radial runout the worst. Heat/cold cycles cause it with cheaper materials. Pontiac G6 suffered from lousy rotors.
Pep Boys sells cheap rotors. I bought a set once and they warped so bad they couldn't be repaired by turning.

majesticix
09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I never bothered turning mine. The cost to replace them was cheaper when doing my brakes (for a Cavalier anyway...not so sure about the G8). I tried both cheap China and US home grown and my China ones held up better to my surprise.

markpetersonii
09-25-2009, 08:49 PM
I am just hoping that when I get my G8, the rotors don't do what the ones on my G6 did!

bobyoung
09-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I've had my car for a year now and I've had some problems with it, some caused by my lead foot and some not but I can hardly think of another car at any price I'd rather have. This car is perfect for me and I drive the hell out of it every day.

Danl
09-26-2009, 03:55 AM
I HATE my G8 somebody door dinged it! Other than that, great car no problems at all. Ok, I don't hate it, I actually love it, but somebody did ding the door, that really PISSES me off! My fault, for the one time being to lazy to park way the hell out there, that's what I get.

markpetersonii
09-26-2009, 10:55 AM
I HATE my G8 somebody door dinged it! Other than that, great car no problems at all. Ok, I don't hate it, I actually love it, but somebody did ding the door, that really PISSES me off! My fault, for the one time being to lazy to park way the hell out there, that's what I get.

HAHA I figure when I get mine, I am going to make sure NO ONE is parked next to me.

Seattle09GT
09-27-2009, 10:24 AM

What he said. Wrong torque on the lug nuts will screw up your rotors faster than a long day of hard braking and running steam hot brake rotors through an ice cold car wash.

I had this happen on my Grand Prix. Discount Tire screwed up the torque on my front rims and warped the front rotors to Hell.

G8GTlawride
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM

Well said! No problems here either.

Eidolon
10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I have an odd relationship with my G8. One day I worry about it to no end and wonder if I haven't bought something that will fall apart on me at 30,000 miles. The next day I drive it with the windows down and it lulls me with its siren song, that rushing sound of 8 cylinders crying underhood.

The Bad

There's a few problems I've had with my G8.

Malfunctioning radio unit display not turning on when starting car. Radio was replaced by dealer, which resolved the issue.
Creaking sunroof, given a temporary fix by the dealer by lubing the seal with silicone. Service tech said it was an issue he'd seen before and hopefully GM would issue a real fix.
Interior noise either from front dash or from headliner, I'm not sure. Hoped dealer would address this at the same time as creaking sunroof, but they didn't. I doubt they took the car for a spin, so they probably simply never heard it, but it's getting quite bad. It's a shame, because this noise makes it hard to focus on the sound of the engine.
Some speakers vibrate during use of the stereo.
Right front door panel vibrates incessantly at highway speed when temperature is right (or wrong, depending on your perspective).

So the issues I have had are relatively small and niggling. Yet they still worry me. My Mazda6 had 100,000 miles on it when I traded it, and it didn't make the interior noises this car does with 8,000 miles on the odometer. I worry every other day that I've purchased a piece of shit, yes, that will fall apart on me.

I must take issue with the statement that we who cry foul at interior noise are queens. Hardly. When one pays $32,000 to $42,000 of their hard-earned money for a car such as this, expecting an interior to be well-sorted is hardly out of sorts. To do otherwise is to accept and make excuses for mediocrity. This, of course, being the same mediocrity that has put GM in its sorry present state of begging for business. And if Ford can do it with a Mazda, GM can do it.

Minor niggle, I wish it was a bit flatter through the corners and that the seat held me a bit better. For a performance model, it still tends to be a bit relaxed and spongy. It's a great tourer, but not really a racer. That can be fixed, though...

The Good
The engine. The brakes. The handling, despite my above complaint.

Driving this car with the windows down, with the RPM's up and tackling a winding road, nearly requires a change of pants. I love the sound of this engine. It is an utterly beautiful melody that causes me to fall in love with the car all over again. Then I come up on a stop sign or light and hammer the brakes, which drag the car down to a halt with nearly painful force. This car has limits higher than anything I've ever driven, much less owned.

The exterior is brutishly beautiful, and I find myself eyeing it any time I've got an LoS. I even catch others doing the same!

Overall, the car is a nice place to be and a fine machine to drive. Get the interior issues sorted and I'll enjoy it much more.

And I do intend to mod this car to address two of my complaints: the soft handling and the quiet exhaust. Pedders Xa Track Kit and ARH LT with MagnaFlow axlebacks, anyone?

66goat
10-04-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm not much on writing...82,000 the only thing in the dealer for was the front control arm at 50k, now going in on Monday because of the same noise. Avg mpg 25.3.

I've have this car for about 1 1/2 years and love it...

OTR CAI(new era) Not sure about that, I opened it up after a good rain last night and it was dry.

Vector tune.

bigwillys58
10-07-2009, 06:39 PM
only problem ive had with mine is the hood latch cable breaking. the dealer warrantied that this morning. as one guy said " i love my bmw killing american made piece of shit"

todds87ss
10-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Have you ever seen a vinyl album? When they aren't flat the needle has to move up and down to stay in contact.
The distance farthest from center usually has the most runout.
Cheap inexpensive rotors suffer from radial runout the worst. Heat/cold cycles cause it with cheaper materials. Pontiac G6 suffered from lousy rotors.
Pep Boys sells cheap rotors. I bought a set once and they warped so bad they couldn't be repaired by turning.

Pretty tough to define radial runout or spotty material transfer without just calling it "warping". The correct response to this, however, is the same no matter what you choose to call it. Resurface the rotors (reused stockers are better than Chinese pep boys new ones), and replace pads with something more geared to the way you drive. You will be happy with the result.

-Ray-
10-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Some people get twisted when you say warped. :)

ChicagoG8GT
10-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Other than the excessive rear tire wear, door ding magnet mod, and idiots who dont look in the rear view when backing up.... I LOVE MY CAR.

johnbell2
10-13-2009, 08:23 AM
and idiots who dont look in the rear view when backing up....

That was my first mod. "New fender" mod. At 2k miles no less.

dukeofpg
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Absolute bliss is what I experience when driving on the open road. I drive as hard as I can and still be safe. It has not been a perfect vehicle, but it is without doubt, the most fun vehicle I have owned. Tolerating a few loose bolts is easy when the car first fires and reports 400+ ponies through the AR long tube headers. Passing a weak driver in a Viper on the track makes me giggle even though I have a slight vibration in my butt from ... nobody knows where. Slowly caressing the chipped thin paint with car wash suds is the best therapy I can think of. Aches and pains in bed from a day wrenching on the G8 installing every mod I can afford makes me smile and sigh (at 54 years, I guess you could say grunt in place of sigh). And when I am not driving, I can log on to read about or watch videos of all of you and your G8's.

-Ray-
10-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Absolute bliss is what I experience when driving on the open road. I drive as hard as I can and still be safe. It has not been a perfect vehicle, but it is without doubt, the most fun vehicle I have owned. Tolerating a few loose bolts is easy when the car first fires and reports 400+ ponies through the AR long tube headers. Passing a weak driver in a Viper on the track makes me giggle even though I have a slight vibration in my butt from ... nobody knows where. Slowly caressing the chipped thin paint with car wash suds is the best therapy I can think of. Aches and pains in bed from a day wrenching on the G8 installing every mod I can afford makes me smile and sigh (at 54 years, I guess you could say grunt in place of sigh). And when I am not driving, I can log on to read about or watch videos of all of you and your G8's.

Well said!!!!!

z51l9889
10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I drive mine ~100 miles/day through a bombed out interstate construction zone. I now have about 13,000 miles on it and the only squeaks and rattles I hear come from the driver. The car is quiet and comfortable and goes like stink when I hammer the throttle. I have the same issues with the paint, the gas cap, and the occasional steering wheel vibration as many others, but they are very minor complaints in the overall scheme of things. Every other new car I have owned (10 in the last 25 years, including a Lexus) had at least a couple of trips to the dealer for various issues within the first few months that were more serious than the ones I've experienced with the G8.

I bought this car after owning a Lexus IS300 for 7+ years. The Lexus turned out to be the biggest lemon that I've ever owned, costing me about 7 grand over the last year I owned the car and stranding me several times. The G8 is more comfortable, way faster, handles better, has MUCH more interior room, gets the same average mileage (22 mpg with an engine TWICE the size of the Lexus), and was about 5 grand cheaper.

This is by far the best car I've ever owned, and it's close to the top of the list for "fun to drive". My '89 Vette and '85 Mustang GT (both purchased new, and I still have the Vette) top the list, but the G8 is a very close third and the fastest in pure stock form.

todds87ss
10-20-2009, 08:36 PM
I drive mine ~100 miles/day through a bombed out interstate construction zone. I now have about 13,000 miles on it and the only squeaks and rattles I hear come from the driver. The car is quiet and comfortable and goes like stink when I hammer the throttle. I have the same issues with the paint, the gas cap, and the occasional steering wheel vibration as many others, but they are very minor complaints in the overall scheme of things. Every other new car I have owned (10 in the last 25 years, including a Lexus) had at least a couple of trips to the dealer for various issues within the first few months that were more serious than the ones I've experienced with the G8.

I bought this car after owning a Lexus IS300 for 7+ years. The Lexus turned out to be the biggest lemon that I've ever owned, costing me about 7 grand over the last year I owned the car and stranding me several times. The G8 is more comfortable, way faster, handles better, has MUCH more interior room, gets the same average mileage (22 mpg with an engine TWICE the size of the Lexus), and was about 5 grand cheaper.

This is by far the best car I've ever owned, and it's close to the top of the list for "fun to drive". My '89 Vette and '85 Mustang GT (both purchased new, and I still have the Vette) top the list, but the G8 is a very close third and the fastest in pure stock form.

Thanks! I just knew that there was more out there who felt as I do. I think I just wet myself reading this post. :pee:

mkaresh
11-18-2009, 08:21 AM
You really cannot gauge reliability by reading the forums. You can get a good idea of the problems at least some owners are having, but not how common these problems are.

I conduct a reliability survey that using a carefully designed process to get a more balanced view of a car's reliability.

First off, we're finding that even with the least reliable fairly new cars you still have a 40-50 percent chance of no problems in a given year.

The G8, with good participation by owners, has been about average so far. Even if it declines slighly into "worse than average" territory, we're still looking at less than a single repair trip per year for the average car.

Current results:

Pontiac G8 reliability comparisons (http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php?stage=pt&bd=Pontiac&mc=807)

So I wouldn't get too wound up just yet.

Additional participants always helpful.

Seattle09GT
11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
The Pontiac G8 is a Consumer Reports "recommended" based on owner reliability survey.

RapidG8GXP
12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
My turn:

I've not had any issues with either my GT or GXP. My dealer loves me, mostly because I've bought two vehicles from them in the space of 7 months. I had the control arms replaced on my GT not because they were completely worn out, but because I wanted them replaced BEFORE they wore out. My dealer didn't even blink.

I've had none of the problems mentioned here or on other g8 boards, to whit: wipers, transmissions, seat trim, slow windows, alternator whine, front end shimmy, front end shake, driveshaft shake, strut bearings, peeling paint, windshield cracks, cracked front bumper, driveline shake when AFM kicks in, out of balance tires/wheels, worn seat leather, radio turning on/off by itself, erratic remote start, etc, etc, etc, etc...

Honestly, I think most of the guys on here just have to have something to bitch about and this forum allows them an anonymous way to do just that.

If I did have a problem with my cars, my first stop is the dealer. I would not ask anyone here for advice because, lets be honest, most of you people can't even take the time to read your owners manual and I'd rather deal with someone who has the expertise and tools (the dealer) and access to GM's engineering prowess.

Automobiles are a conglomeration of many thousands of parts, and those parts will fail; it's a fact of life. It is also a fact of life that if you abuse something, it will break. I find it amusing that someone can put a tune on their vehicle, change shift points/times, add a CAI, turbos, superchargers, headers, exhausts, wider/heavier rims/tires and so, and be completely and utterly shocked when something breaks, then blame GM for making a "shitty car", or imply that Holden sent all their "lemons" to us unsuspecting Americans to buy. The old adage "You play, you pay" applies.

My GT is my daily driver. I take care of it not because it's a G8, but because I spent close to 30K on it and my dad taught me that you take care of what you spent your hard earned money on.

My GXP? It's my "garage queen" which I only take out on nice, warm sunny days. I just recently put her away for the winter months, which for this area of the country means mid May at the earliest before I take it out of storage. But the nice thing is the mileage will be and remain low.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for reading.

R.Penguin
12-12-2009, 02:49 PM
HOLY SHIT! I can't beleive this thread is still alive! :eek: :huh:

Neither of the G8 GT's I've had has yet to see the inside of any dealers garage.

OK, so now I've doubtless jinxed myself, and I am well & truly fucked. :hang:

DAMN!

christiancoach
12-12-2009, 03:12 PM
My 2 cents: As an ex-Mercedes Benz salesperson the G8 is a dream car. I know people who had their MB's in the shop for months at a time while we tried to get parts, only to find out the parts didn't fix it.
A friend posed a profound question to me the other day when I was complaining that the hard drive in my 7 year old laptop died. He asked me if I knew the failure rate of hard drives. I said I didn't know. He said: 100%! Just like everything else with moving parts, sooner or later it WILL break.
Add extra stress and use something in excess of it design and it will failure much quicker.

GT-610
12-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I am building a new BMW service center with 31 lifts right now and talking with a bunch of the managers and some techs who come in to see progress and set up parts areas,etc have all said the same crap you hear at other dealerships I have worked on...these cars are no better or have any less trouble than cheaper ameican cars.You pay more at first,and when they break,its more expensive to fix.We dont ave it so bad...

JBsC6
12-12-2009, 11:12 PM
the G8 GT is a dam good looking smokin hot four door hot rod.

I recently test drove one. What a blast!

Enjoy it and for those that don't ...sell it

johnh
12-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Honestly, I think most of the guys on here just have to have something to bitch about and this forum allows them an anonymous way to do just that.

If I did have a problem with my cars, my first stop is the dealer. I would not ask anyone here for advice because, lets be honest, most of you people can't even take the time to read your owners manual and I'd rather deal with someone who has the expertise and tools (the dealer) and access to GM's engineering prowess.

Great all those issues could have been fixed by RTFM? :woohoo:

Who knew?

mi04se1
12-13-2009, 08:35 AM
All cars have issues. I work at a Caddy dealer and there are far more problems on the newer Cadillac's than the G8. The way I look at it, the more you spend. the more troubles there will be. The G8 GT falls inline of sub 30k, so there wont be as many issues then if your buying a 60k Caddy. And also, if something breaks on the G8, it is far cheaper to fix than most uplevel Cadillac's.

Remikinz
12-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Every car forum I have ever been on there has always been more rants than raves... People trying to escape the dreaded dealership visit and coming online to a bunch of enthusiasts and asking for help. Your always going to hear more complaints than compliments online.

My last car (Acura 3.2TL) had a few tranny issues... it wasnt a very COMMON problem practically less than %8 of the 02-03 models had this issue but the forum was FLOODED with people complaining about failed trannies and where they can get one out of warranty and such... Just because this happened to a few people doesnt mean the car as a whole is a piece of garbage. And believe it or not the dealerships where going above and beyond for some people with this issue and YET people STILL complained. My '99 TL was displaying symptoms of a tranny failure ACURA didnt even WAIT for it to brake they had my car brought in AND replaced even though I was 2 YEARS over my warranty period. Ended up walking out of there with a nice warranty too. Now am I going to complain? NO It happens Im aware of the problem the car company is aware of the problem and it was fixed.

As far as the G8 goes I *knock on wood* have not had ANY SERIOUS issues with it and so far I LOVE it but I know when the time comes, and it WILL just like every other car, and something breaks I will have to bring it to the dreaded dealership and have it fixed... the only thing thats will make me smile is knowing I didnt spend 60k for a bimmer and the repair will be cheap comparable to what I spent on the car.

I think everyone when they see these complaints and issues should read them be aware of them and look out for any symptoms and THATS IT not freak out and call it a piece of garbage or trash because in reality these issues are rare and far between otherwise there would be MASSIVE recalls.

BW G8GT
12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I find it amusing that someone can put a tune on their vehicle, change shift points/times, add a CAI, turbos, superchargers, headers, exhausts, wider/heavier rims/tires and so, and be completely and utterly shocked when something breaks, then blame GM for making a "shitty car", or imply that Holden sent all their "lemons" to us unsuspecting Americans to buy. The old adage "You play, you pay" applies.

+1

Seattle09GT
12-13-2009, 01:49 PM
My 2 cents: As an ex-Mercedes Benz salesperson the G8 is a dream car. I know people who had their MB's in the shop for months at a time while we tried to get parts, only to find out the parts didn't fix it.
A friend posed a profound question to me the other day when I was complaining that the hard drive in my 7 year old laptop died. He asked me if I knew the failure rate of hard drives. I said I didn't know. He said: 100%! Just like everything else with moving parts, sooner or later it WILL break.
Add extra stress and use something in excess of it design and it will failure much quicker.

Good post - completely agree!

ZcamaroSS
03-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Personally I love my G8 and have had litte to no problems, knock on wood. Transmission acted up but was fixed in one trip to the dealership, the steering wheel was replaced because it was coming apart, new one is too, need to return and get a new wheel, and my shift linkage came apart. Aside from that, no problems on GMs side. Problems from me installing HIDs, O2 messing up after installing Kooks LTH and exhuast, and problems with check engine messages due to high flow cats are my only issues, issues I caused and are all resolved now. I have always owned GMs and will continue to do so. (5) C5 Corvettes, (7) F-bodies, an 06 GTO (3) Silverados, (4) Fieros. And now my G8, the first new car I have ever bought. I mean I traded my 2003 Z06 in on it, so that must say something about the car. (Actually wish I still owned both :) lol) I just love riding through the upscale rich parts of NC and watch all the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes drives break there necks looking at and trying to figure out what my debaged G8 is. Strangers always ask me about it and compliment it. This is my first sedan, but knowing an LS achitecture V8 was under the hood was all it took to hook me. I love the look on Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, and even some Corvette owners faces after they have had their doors blown off by my big family sedan. Then they huridly catch up to me and start yelling, OMG WHAT IS THAT!!!! I just love it and could talk about it for days. :) :) :) Oh yea, I currently have 24,000 miles on my G8.

Panzer Leader
03-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Here in the Greater New Orleans "Who Dat Nation" the G8 is a truly "What Dat" car. As I have said, for the $$$ there is not another RWD, Regular Gas car that comes close. Though mine is a lowly V6, it drives and handles well. Do I wish that it had factory Bluetooth, yes. Do I wish it had heated outside mirrors, yes. Do I wish that it had come from the factory with the Hacked Ataris or better yet, the Triple Analog Gauges, hell yes. Do I wish that it could have been ordered with the FE3 suspension, hell yes. Do I wish that a 6 speed MT was available, hell yes. Do I wish that the DIV6 was available, hell yes. Now, despite those things it did not come with, I feel fortune to be among the "Chosen Few, The Proud, The G8 Owners".

R.Penguin
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Here in the Greater New Orleans "Who Dat Nation" the G8 is a truly "What Dat" car. As I have said, for the $$$ there is not another RWD, Regular Gas car that comes close. Though mine is a lowly V6, it drives and handles well. Do I wish that it had factory Bluetooth, yes. Do I wish it had heated outside mirrors, yes. Do I wish that it had come from the factory with the Hacked Ataris or better yet, the Triple Analog Gauges, hell yes. Do I wish that it could have been ordered with the FE3 suspension, hell yes. Do I wish that a 6 speed MT was available, hell yes. Do I wish that the DIV6 was available, hell yes. Now, despite those things it did not come with, I feel fortune to be among the "Chosen Few, The Proud, The G8 Owners".
Yep! Coming up on 10K now and still never been to any dealer. Even for the recalls.

No dings, no noises, no problems. By far the finest car I will ever own.....er......make payments on. I always find the long way home just to drive it a bit longer. The straight pipes through the glasspaks make beautiful music...no radio required.

I still can't beleive this thread is still alive, but mostly G8 fans with positive comments now. Drive on bruthas & sistas! :p

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg156/pingucof/rearlion.jpg

Eidolon
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I posted earlier, and in the interim, my water pump did die on me. But y'know, I don't much care. I love this car more and more the longer I own it. The engine note, the handling, the ride, the responsiveness...

If every GM car were like this, I'd never buy anything else.

mjf232
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I really love this car but as my wife tells me I say that about every car I've had. Even coming off of six years as a beemer guy and traded my X5 (kids) for this, it's truly is a head turner.

Panzer Leader
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Yep! Coming up on 10K now and still never been to any dealer. Even for the recalls.

No dings, no noises, no problems. By far the finest car I will ever own.....er......make payments on. I always find the long way home just to drive it a bit longer. The straight pipes through the glasspaks make beautiful music...no radio required.

I still can't beleive this thread is still alive, but mostly G8 fans with positive comments now. Drive on bruthas & sistas! :p

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg156/pingucof/rearlion.jpg

Penquin you formal bird, are the two extra tailpipes, 1.) Rear firing MG 2.) Afterburners or 3.) Oil Dispensers for outrunning the Cops? :uhm:

2ltrgsr
03-09-2010, 07:10 PM
45k miles never been to the dealer...knock on wood:)

R.Penguin
03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
penquin you formal bird, are the two extra tailpipes, 1.) rear firing mg 2.) afterburners or 3.) oil dispensers for outrunning the cops? :uhm:
jato.

Seattle09GT
03-10-2010, 12:51 AM
If you grab the latest copy of Consumer Reports on their 2010 car recommendations, the Pontiac G8 GT makes the recommended used car list for the second year in a row. Also for its class of vehicle, it has one of the highest owner loyalty ratings. According to Consumer Reports, 83% of G8 owners would buy another one.

Panzer Leader
03-10-2010, 04:56 AM
If you grab the latest copy of Consumer Reports on their 2010 car recommendations, the Pontiac G8 GT makes the recommended used car list for the second year in a row. Also for its class of vehicle, it has one of the highest owner loyalty ratings. According to Consumer Reports, 83% of G8 owners would buy another one.

I wish that you had not posted these facts. Obviously more reasons for GM to stop making this car available for sale.

Panzer Leader
03-10-2010, 04:57 AM
jato.

Oh, Kato's brother. Wasn't he in the front seat of that white Ford Bronco.

Ktlplxm
03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I wish that you had not posted these facts. Obviously more reasons for GM to stop making this car available for sale.

We know that Bob Lutz will have someone rebadge it as a f*cking Impala, let the G8 owners and the G8's rep in the US push the sales up, make outrageous claims about how much better it is than a G8, and take all the credit for himself. Typical Lutz

Seattle09GT
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
We know that Bob Lutz will have someone rebadge it as a f*cking Impala, let the G8 owners and the G8's rep in the US push the sales up, make outrageous claims about how much better it is than a G8, and take all the credit for himself. Typical Lutz

Lutz is out - retires on May 1, 2010.

I suspect he will reemerge, working for Toyota USA to help them dig out of their mess.

Ktlplxm
03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Lutz is out - retires on May 1, 2010.

I suspect he will reemerge, working for Toyota USA to help them dig out of their mess.

Its about time. I never understood why GM decided to hire someone so detested by Daimler, his dismaissal was requested as part of the merger

Devilish34
03-10-2010, 04:38 PM

If it comes back it needs to come back a Holden.

JVH1982
03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
jato.

Jet Assisted Take Off... friggin' sweet! I think I read something in the "Darwin Awards" about a guy that strapped one to his old hot rod and ended up sticking outta the side of a cliff. You two related?:cheers:

Gordon Freeman
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
So far the only thing I need to take mine in for is the CD changer. I get the CD mechanism error message then it won’t eject the CD for days.

The fastener or whatever it’s called for the floor mat is broken on the driver’s side but I don’t think I want to have the carpet replaced for that. I do have occasional rattle in the back passenger side door but that is another one that I’m not going to bother with.

Overall I’m very happy with my G8 and use any excuse at all to go for a drive in her. Out of milk again, oh I’ll run to the store and get some. Two hours later I’m finally back home.

2girlsdad
03-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Let's see; I've had it since the last week April of last year and just turned 9,000 miles this morning. She is my daily driver. I've had oil changes, a tire rotation cycle, fueled it and washed/waxed/detailed it. The only thing wrong so far was I broke my console lid on Thursday evening...DOH!!!!:facepalm2:

I must say I do love my G8 piece of shit!. :thumbsup:

Seattle09GT
03-14-2010, 11:51 AM
So far the only thing I need to take mine in for is the CD changer. I get the CD mechanism error message then it won’t eject the CD for days.

The fastener or whatever it’s called for the floor mat is broken on the driver’s side but I don’t think I want to have the carpet replaced for that. I do have occasional rattle in the back passenger side door but that is another one that I’m not going to bother with.

Overall I’m very happy with my G8 and use any excuse at all to go for a drive in her. Out of milk again, oh I’ll run to the store and get some. Two hours later I’m finally back home.

They don't have to replace the carpet for that (I've had it done twice).

Gordon Freeman
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
They don't have to replace the carpet for that (I've had it done twice).

Seattle So how did they repair it??

Marc Letourneau
03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't trade this car for the world.
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af239/marcslet23/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAxMDAyMjAtMTk0M.jpg

This is hard to read but 64.4 MPH and 31.3 MPG I could never complain.

Seattle09GT
03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Seattle So how did they repair it??

No idea. They ordered the part, the installed it. I didn't watch, but it didn't take replacing the whole carpet.

Gordon Freeman
03-15-2010, 06:41 AM
No idea. They ordered the part, the installed it. I didn't watch, but it didn't take replacing the whole carpet.

thanks anyway I’m going to ask at a local dealer if there is a fix they can do without having to replace the carpet.

Seattle09GT
03-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't trade this car for the world.
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af239/marcslet23/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAxMDAyMjAtMTk0M.jpg

This is hard to read but 64.4 MPH and 31.3 MPG I could never complain.

I would get that kind of MPG coasting down Pikes Peak. :uhm:

I've seen 24 on highway trips where I baby the gas pedal.

ZcamaroSS
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Stock everything aside from Kooks 1 7/8 LTH, high flow cats, connecter pipe, and Corsa cat-back. After 20+ miles with cruise set on 65mph with 3 people in the car and a full gas tank.http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/zcamaross/IMG00173-20100319-2320.jpg?t=1269294395

Marc Letourneau
03-28-2010, 09:10 AM

I've seen 24 on highway trips where I baby the gas pedal.

Maybe it's all that wax. :p

grantn
04-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I love my car. 41k miles and no major problems know on wood.

blackoutgt
04-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Naw, you'd get better than that...
Kinda hard to see but 49.3 MPH and 54.7 MPG. Ya I was happy for the next 5 mile coast.

blackoutgt
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Here's the pic, not sure if the last one made it.

Panzer Leader
04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
What is the "Front AUX" depicted in the picture?

Eidolon
04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
What is the "Front AUX" depicted in the picture?
Whenever you have an 1/8" jack plugged into your stereo and you've got it turned on, your DIC will read "Front Aux". It's the same function as it reading "CD1 Trk 3".

Mav
05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
You get that kinda mileage when you reset your DIC while on the highway. :D

-Ray-
05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Stock everything aside from Kooks 1 7/8 LTH, high flow cats, connecter pipe, and Corsa cat-back. After 20+ miles with cruise set on 65mph with 3 people in the car and a full gas tank.http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/zcamaross/IMG00173-20100319-2320.jpg?t=1269294395

I did 30.1 for over 300 miles at that speed in my G8. AFM active for 95 percent of it. Lost that when I added the torque converter.

Ktlplxm
05-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Last fall on the way to Atlanta for Thanksgiving I kept 28-29 the whole way, that was with the 2300 and the 427 before they were sold

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/ktlplxm/mileage-1.jpg

PhilGT
05-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah, My G8 Sucks hard (purchased 10/27/09), so far I've had to take it back to the dealership for:

1) XM radio and a recal fix for the front suspension a few days after purchase
2) Blown tire after a snowstorm in february.
3) oil change because a gorilla over-tightened the oil cap

Compared this with my previous car, a CPO'ed Audi a4:

It went back to the dealership 3x within the 1st six months of ownership, and I racked up several $$$$$$$$ in repair bills during the eight years of ownership.

So yeah, my G8 is a total piece of crap I plan to own until I die or when Jesus returns, whichever comes 1st.

WickedMom
05-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I make prius owners jealous!

(I would never call my car a piece of shit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Ray-
05-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Yeah, My G8 Sucks hard (purchased 10/27/09), so far I've had to take it back to the dealership for:

1) XM radio and a recal fix for the front suspension a few days after purchase
2) Blown tire after a snowstorm in february.
3) oil change because a gorilla over-tightened the oil cap

Compared this with my previous car, a CPO'ed Audi a4:

It went back to the dealership 3x within the 1st six months of ownership, and I racked up several $$$$$$$$ in repair bills during the eight years of ownership.

So yeah, my G8 is a total piece of crap I plan to own until I die or when Jesus returns, whichever comes 1st.

You consider a blown tire GM's fault? WTF
BTW, you seemed to miss the joke. The g8 isn't a piece of crap.

Slizzo
05-30-2010, 10:59 PM
You consider a blown tire GM's fault? WTF
BTW, you seemed to miss the joke. The g8 isn't a piece of crap.

Ray, I believe you missed the /sarcasm tag that he forgot to place in his post. ;)

BTW, I'm sticking with G8s even after my lease is up next year. This one has been great to me. Only had the ABS and LCA TSBs needed to be done.

09BlueG8GT
05-31-2010, 07:04 AM
I envy you guys with minimal to no issues with your G8. GM couldn't fix my issues. I was very patient (364 days) but I didn't want to lose my rights to the Lemon Law while I was dragged though delay after delay. I was lobbying for a trade while there were still some new ones to be had for several months before I filed the LL but GM wouldn't do it, they just keep saying give us a little more time. I think they were hoping I'd run out of time and be stuck with the car. I got all my money back less about $400.00 for mileage charges. They also tried to bribe me into accepting two payments for my "troubles" if I didn't file. All I wanted was a vibration free car that I did not have to keep fighting the steering wheel to keep straight.

I'm looking for a replacement but I refuse to pay more for a used one than what I paid for mine new.

hartigan85
05-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I've only had to have the rear main seal cover gasket replaced. Hopefully its not leaking anymore. So far though this car has been great to me I love it more every time I drive it. I am gonna stick with the G8 for a very long long time. When the motor dies i will either rebuild it or replace it with something better. Think how many G8s are gonna be on the road 20 years from now, i figure 15,000 or less.

UGotSmkd
05-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Knock on wood, but no problems here. I have to say it has been a great car. Not the rattle trap that my Mustang was, though I do think my striker plates are rattling every now and then.

rooster99ss
05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
The OP is right! You should all SELL your cars and buy 10 year old squeaky rattly POS Fbodies like mine! LOL

Panzer Leader
05-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Penquin did you think this thread would still be going?

jaxredg8
05-31-2010, 07:54 PM
It just wont die.. LOL

UGotSmkd
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Penquin did you think this thread would still be going?

Where the hell has he been? Do Penguins hibernate?

texn884
06-16-2010, 06:36 PM
I have my 2009 G8 GT that I bought on Good Friday with 2800 miles on it. Today it has over 12,000 miles on it and is a dream.

My 2004 Chevy Colorado has 382,000 miles on it and no rattles and is perfect. Most cars need to be driven but not beat and floored at every green light. Treat your car with love and it will give you love back. The only major repairs I did on my Colorado was the front hubs went bad after 280,000 and the rear end was worn out at 340,000. It is running on Amsoil in the engine transmission and rear end. No engine leaks same transmission, same AC, second set of plugs, second set of brakes, I could go on and on.

I really love my G8 and I know it will be a great car for many years to come.

Just me few cents on this thread.

Code3pro
07-26-2010, 09:43 AM
First off, I bought the car (2008) with 17k on it last November and now have 36K. I love the car despite the issues which have been:

1. Dealer SIX times in the last seven months to fix A/C: Bad condensor, valve, evaporator, and seals. Pulled the dash out TWICE to fix it...oh yeah..cracked blend door....got the full experience with about every GM model out there as a rental....warranty

2. 3 cracked key fobs...warranty

3. Air bag module...warranty

4. Trunk actuator...warranty

5. Main seal leak, and TCM update...warranty

Overall, this car has made more trips to the dealer than my last seven cars combined, but each time I pick it up, I am happy to drive it...call me sadistic. I just took a 3000 mile trip with it throughout NV, CA and AZ...80-85 most of the time. Ran perfect and got about 27 mpg overall (get about 20 in town) and it's stock except the K&N replacement filter.

Owning this car is a mixed bag and yah, the tranny scares me. Compared to other cars I have owned, it is a POS reliability wise, but it has also delivered on the driving experience as a full size RWD sports sedan for 1/3 the cost of a M5, plus my ex-wife's Lexus RX had 5K worth of work done on it in the first few months with needing a completely new sunroof and headliner, faulty brakes and 10K mile tires. So everybody has their issues.

brlepore
08-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Drove my g8 from Camp pendleton, Ca to Camp Lejeune,NC. Changed the oil before I left and when I got to NC, plus I even stopped in Ok.for a bit and never had one issue, except to take it in to get the tranny topped off (which I can't stand, I'm a grown ass man,i can take care of my own tranny)

Ktlplxm
08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Drove my g8 from Camp pendleton, Ca to Camp Lejeune,NC. Changed the oil before I left and when I got to NC, plus I even stopped in Ok.for a bit and never had one issue, except to take it in to get the tranny topped off (which I can't stand, I'm a grown ass man,i can take care of my own tranny)

Don't worry, being in the military, if u go to Korea you'll have ample opportunity to take care of trannies, (and russian ones at that)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Elhc86
05-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I love my G8 gt i have had a few issues, but nothing worth selling it... No car is perfect I dont care if its BMW, Toyota, Honda they all have there issues... The g8 is the best car I have ever owned..

66cat389
05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Don't worry, being in the military, if u go to Korea you'll have ample opportunity to take care of trannies, (and russian ones at that)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ewwwwwww

Zaphod B
05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
After 3 years, 1 month and 25,000 miles, I have never had my G8 GT in the shop. I have no issues with popping or rattling suspension or anything of the other common complaints on the board. (I hate the way the transmission shifts but I've learned to live with it.) No complaints in this department.

Reliability aside, I really like my G8 but to be honest I don't love it. Let me explain.

It's one hell of a value - $30K for a quick, strong-running, good-handling, and roomy family car. It's damned good-looking; at 3 years and bone stock, I still get comments on the car.

But I like fun cars, and the G8 is not my idea of fun. OK, poking the accelerator is fun. Really, really fun. And I do it a lot.

But it's heavy. It carries too much mass and momentum to make it a decent traffic streetfighter. It has too much body lean, so that initial turn-in is less precise than I like, although it settles very nicely once set in a cornering stance. The brakes are strong - acceptable but not exceptional. And it's noisy as hell. That's mostly the fault of the tires' lack of compliance, but the fender liners and other plastic underbody bits rattle like crazy, always have.

The visibilty from inside the cockpit is horrible. The driver's side A-pillar obscures an obscene amount of real estate, so much so that I have to crane my head around when negotiating corners to make sure I'm not about to run over a child on a bike. Seriously. The B-pillar is way too thick, and makes over-the-shoulder checks difficult. And in 3 years I've never been able to find a seat position that doesn't make my ass cramp when I'm in the car for more than two hours. A seven-hour drive to the Texas coast is torture.

For sure, my complaints about the car's performance are easily fixed with dollars. But. A very short list of things to do would add up to near $20K very quickly, then I'd have a used orphan car with $50K in it. I think I'd rather save my money for a new liter bike or a start on a Cobra replica.

To be honest, lately I've been considering trading straight-up for some kind of used SUV. I need something a bit more suited for hauling musical equipment and I can't always count on my wife's SUV being available. Sigh.

It's odd the way these things are so subjective. My '89 Mustang GT was way way underpowered compared to the G8, but it was a hell of a lot more fun day-to-day - in my opinion.

Anyhow, I don't think the G8 is a POS. It's just painfully not quite what I'd like it to be.

JVH1982
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm thinking this thread needs a NSFW tag now. Yeesh!

-Ray-
05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking this thread needs a NSFW tag now. Yeesh!

No, it doesn't. There's a moderator on board to deal with the kids.

-Ray-
05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
After 3 years, 1 month and 25,000 miles, I have never had my G8 GT in the shop. I have no issues with popping or rattling suspension or anything of the other common complaints on the board. (I hate the way the transmission shifts but I've learned to live with it.) No complaints in this department.

Reliability aside, I really like my G8 but to be honest I don't love it. Let me explain.

It's one hell of a value - $30K for a quick, strong-running, good-handling, and roomy family car. It's damned good-looking; at 3 years and bone stock, I still get comments on the car.

But I like fun cars, and the G8 is not my idea of fun. OK, poking the accelerator is fun. Really, really fun. And I do it a lot.

But it's heavy. It carries too much mass and momentum to make it a decent traffic streetfighter. It has too much body lean, so that initial turn-in is less precise than I like, although it settles very nicely once set in a cornering stance. The brakes are strong - acceptable but not exceptional. And it's noisy as hell. That's mostly the fault of the tires' lack of compliance, but the fender liners and other plastic underbody bits rattle like crazy, always have.

The visibilty from inside the cockpit is horrible. The driver's side A-pillar obscures an obscene amount of real estate, so much so that I have to crane my head around when negotiating corners to make sure I'm not about to run over a child on a bike. Seriously. The B-pillar is way too thick, and makes over-the-shoulder checks difficult. And in 3 years I've never been able to find a seat position that doesn't make my ass cramp when I'm in the car for more than two hours. A seven-hour drive to the Texas coast is torture.

For sure, my complaints about the car's performance are easily fixed with dollars. But. A very short list of things to do would add up to near $20K very quickly, then I'd have a used orphan car with $50K in it. I think I'd rather save my money for a new liter bike or a start on a Cobra replica.

To be honest, lately I've been considering trading straight-up for some kind of used SUV. I need something a bit more suited for hauling musical equipment and I can't always count on my wife's SUV being available. Sigh.

It's odd the way these things are so subjective. My '89 Mustang GT was way way underpowered compared to the G8, but it was a hell of a lot more fun day-to-day - in my opinion.

Anyhow, I don't think the G8 is a POS. It's just painfully not quite what I'd like it to be.

This is a good accurate review of a stock G8.

texn884
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM
I really love my car and it has 78,500 miles on it and runs perfect and goes like a bat out of hell when you go WOT and get looks and comments on it everyday.

66cat389
05-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Yeah, heaven forbid anyone see the silhouette of a part of the male anatomy crudely photo shopped to the silhouette of a woman and get offended.

travis gore
05-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Yeah, heaven forbid anyone see the silhouette of a part of the male anatomy crudely photo shopped to the silhouette of a woman and get offended.

it is not that someone might be offended,but the forum is about cars not posting NSFW material.
there are plenty of websites that you can go to if you want to see these sort of things.

Sephiroth
05-26-2011, 03:32 AM

I have to agree. I like my GT, and it's growing on me, but It wasen't love at first sight the way it was with my B5 S4. It was honestly a compromise car (versus an E39/E60 M5) and I sort of tried to trick myself into buying it because it's a bazillion times easier to maintain and mod than said BMWs. More often I find myself cruising @ the speed-limit rather than wandering down the longer, curvier path for the heck of it like I used to. That might just be because it so quite though, 7months is the longest I've owned a car with a stock exhaust. The problems I've had with playing catchup while it's still under warranty on all the stuff that's gone wrong over the last 2 years doesn't help either. Nor does it help that my idea of 'good' condition is apparently within the 1% percentile, suffice to say, I will have gotten my $$'s worth of the B2B by the time it's expired.

JVH1982
05-26-2011, 09:55 AM

it is not that someone might be offended,but the forum is about cars not posting NSFW material.
there are plenty of websites that you can go to if you want to see these sort of things.
Thanks for backing me up, gents. I'm not uber-conservative, but I work at a bank, and this board is largely acceptable for me to surf at work. When that 'angel' appeared on my screen I happened to have a female coworker at my desk. Luckily she wasn't offended and would not report me. I stay outta the NSFW threads at work to avoid having the privilege revoked. /defense mode

-Ray-
05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for backing me up, gents. I'm not uber-conservative, but I work at a bank, and this board is largely acceptable for me to surf at work. When that 'angel' appeared on my screen I happened to have a female coworker at my desk. Luckily she wasn't offended and would not report me. I stay outta the NSFW threads at work to avoid having the privilege revoked. /defense mode

You are correct in mentioning the post. Feel free to report a post like that in the future. We will moderate any such posts. We only have one NSFW thread on this board.

Seattle09GT
05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Nor does it help that my idea of 'good' condition is apparently within the 1% percentile...

I have the same issue. I didn't realize that my idea of good condition did not line up with the rest of the world's until I bought the G8, and I started looking for winter beaters to drag up into the mountains for skiing in the winter time. My idea of good condition and the idea of just about anyone else, including dealers, if miles apart. When the time comes I will private sell the G8 - no way will I trade.

Seattle09GT
05-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Where the hell has he been? Do Penguins hibernate?

Penguin is gone. He has traded in his G8 for a bucket of herring heads a bright shiny pebble.

His car has been for sale at Seaview Buick/GMC and I saw it listed on Craig's List just about a week ago - however it is no longer listed in inventory. He traded it in his six outlet exhaust and home made CAI and all. Dealer was asking $26Kish - I know it had been for sale for months so no idea if it was sold at auction to move it off the lot or if a private buyer came in.

66cat389
05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, really? He reported that picture because it offended his delicate sensibilities? I'm kind of shocked, I've seen worse things by comparison on here.

Honestly, the V6 section is dead, I've been edited / censored several times on here for relatively harmless stuff and so I've come to the conclusion that I have no reason to come back.

Do yourself a favor JVH1982, change your tampon, get off this site and get back to work.

I'm out....

zepcom
05-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Wow, 66cat... such a turn of events? Interesting.

I also am glad the pic was reported as the thread wasn't titled nsfw. People can get into trouble or even fired for shit like that if it even appears on their screen at work (you don't think employers keep logs and other data to protect themselves in lawsuits?) ... hence why NSFW tag was even invented. Well done, moderators.

--zep

Sent from my EVO4g using the OEM Tapatalk.

-Ray-
05-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow, really? He reported that picture because it offended his delicate sensibilities? I'm kind of shocked, I've seen worse things by comparison on here.

Honestly, the V6 section is dead, I've been edited / censored several times on here for relatively harmless stuff and so I've come to the conclusion that I have no reason to come back.

Do yourself a favor JVH1982, change your tampon, get off this site and get back to work.

I'm out....

I had to mention a couple times about stuff you posted. You pissed and moaned about it then. I ignore that stuff because it is water off a ducks back.
Charlie set the forum the way he likes it. I'm happy to moderate it that way.
If you read the TOS you'll see that moderators have the right to edit or remove any post we see fit. BTW, we really do very little of it.
Those that like to bend the rules the way they like them get moderated the most.
/end of discussion

JVH1982
05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Ooops, saw the /end of discussion too late.

pokey
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
And in 3 years I've never been able to find a seat position that doesn't make my ass cramp when I'm in the car for more than two hours. A seven-hour drive to the Texas coast is torture.

LOL... I'm glad it is just not me. I drove to Florida in the G8 and after 2+ hours behind the wheel my ASS HURT! I messed with the settings of the seat for hours trying to get it just right.

Eidolon
05-28-2011, 05:24 PM
LOL... I'm glad it is just not me. I drove to Florida in the G8 and after 2+ hours behind the wheel my ASS HURT! I messed with the settings of the seat for hours trying to get it just right.
Yep, agreed. The wide, flat, tough leather seat can be hard on the bum for long distances.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

MoonPie
05-29-2011, 05:50 AM
If you read the TOS you'll see that moderators have the right to edit or remove any post we see fit. BTW, we really do very little of it.
Those that like to bend the rules the way they like them get moderated the most.
/end of discussion

The continued toleration of me is a perfect example of the laid back manner in which this forum is run.

Also, if you're(you're in general) complaining about any material on the internet because it could possibly cause certain undesireable consequences when viewed at work then you're simply confused. While at work you should be working. That's why they call it work. Otherwise you're just stealing.

Seattle09GT
05-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Pengin's G8 is baaaaaaaack...

And now its for sale for even a higher price of $28,000. Seaview must have sold it at auction and got a damn good price if Korum wants $28K - Seaview had it for sale for $26.5K. The engine bay shot gives it away as penguin's.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/2407857360.html

Slizzo
05-30-2011, 10:09 PM
I have to agree. I like my GT, and it's growing on me, but It wasen't love at first sight the way it was with my B5 S4. It was honestly a compromise car (versus an E39/E60 M5) and I sort of tried to trick myself into buying it because it's a bazillion times easier to maintain and mod than said BMWs. More often I find myself cruising @ the speed-limit rather than wandering down the longer, curvier path for the heck of it like I used to. That might just be because it so quite though, 7months is the longest I've owned a car with a stock exhaust. The problems I've had with playing catchup while it's still under warranty on all the stuff that's gone wrong over the last 2 years doesn't help either. Nor does it help that my idea of 'good' condition is apparently within the 1% percentile, suffice to say, I will have gotten my $$'s worth of the B2B by the time it's expired.

Your car + Solo Axlebacks = happy man. :)

Posted by iPhone4 via Tapatalk

GT Drew
05-31-2011, 11:58 AM
There is no such thing as a perfect car (or truck). Every manufacturer has busy dealer service departments do warranty repairs or customer pay service work that is overpricedand too early in the vehicles life. One trip to the dealer for new control arms and that is it for me. Yes, I will spend some money replacing bushings, brake pads, speakers, sway bars, exhaust and maybe a cam. Just to make the car the way I want it. I don't see that as a problem. No car comes stock with Poly suspension bushings, kevlar ceramic brake pads, or Infinity Kappa speakers. I have done upgrades to each and every car I owned. Stock works, modified is more fun. I really feel sorry for the owners that have crap dealers that can't diagnose there problems. These are the ones that piss and moan here the most.

redjeff
06-26-2011, 08:08 AM
I disagree....The G8 is an amazing car, but its only a $30,000 car. You are getting by far the best car for the money. If you were to buy a 3 series your going to run into similar problems. Yes GM has made some rear hum dingers in the past, but this car for what it is...is amazing.

texn884
06-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Not sure where you could of got a car stock that could run to 150 mph and be a all around great car. It is big powerful and great looking and you don't see another one at every stop light, unless you want to be like a heard of sheep and follow what every other person has like the boring BMW's which seem to multiply faster than rabbits. yes they don't have all the bells and whistles but to me it has just the right amount of goodies on her and after 83,881 miles lets see how much shit goes wrong with a BMW and other German cars. No one ever puts that infor out only stuff you hear is GM Cars suck, I beg to differ, plus this is a Aussie car with a Pontiac name on it.

I htink if you don't like your G8 then sell the damn thing and go follow the heard of sheep, boring......

mgm6.0l
06-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Gotta say I love my G8 and it hasn't given me any problems at all "knock on wood". I am glad that I made the jump from a truck to the G8, the car is smoother, faster, and waste a tad bit less gas lol! If problems do arise with the car, thats why I have the dealership down the street with a family member who works there. :thumbsup:

TonyKarter
06-28-2011, 08:33 AM
I miss the Penguin. That was some good times on this forum back then.

texn884
06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Penguin?

Panzer Leader
06-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Penquin, the early days of rock and roll, and enjoying our pieces of shit. (LOL) I miss the birdman. The forum reminded me of a combination of The Rolling Stone, Car and Driver, Road and Track, and my personal favorite, Mad Magazine.

LongbowFoSho
09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
We've only had ours three months and problems continue to pop up. Its an 08 GT with less than 40k on it.

1. Vibration/whine at 60+ MPH (Finally fixed after six trips to the dealer)
2. Busted rear vent (couldn't adjust the inner vents)
3. Leather pulling away from child latch at the top of the center seat in the rear.
4. Both visors replaced because neither vanity mirror would stay open
5. New key fob (old one was coming apart in the middle)
6. NEW problem - pulsation/grinding/groaning when braking, especially during turns. Jess said she can hear the grinding under the seat, which makes me think it might be an ABS issue.

I'm basically just waiting for the LCA problem to manifest, followed by a failing lifter. That's really all that's left to go wrong with it if you look at "common" problems.

I love the car, but repairs on this car are too expensive to fix without a warranty if it keeps up. We'll see how it's doing in a year or so.

texn884
09-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Lifters and a cam will be soon, I know I just went thru it.

drglock
04-26-2021, 09:34 AM
I can’t tell you how happy I am with my early production 08 GT.
Bought it new, visited the forums a bunch back in the day for mods and ideas.
It’s at 108,000 miles now. It still looks new and runs like a beast. I drive the hell out of the car. It’s seen dozens of track days and drag strip runs not to mention I just drive it like I stole it as my “m-o”
Although it’s never seen winter driving, it’s been driven hard and I’m so grateful I got this car! I will never let it go.
Here is the short list of problems with the car that I have dealt with in our 13 year relationship.

Radiator replaced around 75000 miles when the neck cracked due to pressure build up due to very low coolant.
My Air condition belt has never stayed on. I carry a wrench, socket and breaker bar with me in the hot months to pop it back On when needed 😂 annoying but not major
Last year I started getting intermittent throttle position sensor faults. Replaced the TB, all good.
Headliner is now falling a bit. A can of 3m adhesive fixed that 👍
Just got an oil pressure sensor fault last weekend. Replaced it easily for $59 ($69 inc the 27mm deep well socket I needed to buy) 🙄
And now, my abs is off. Another sensor. I’ll get to that this weekend.
Oh also, the glove compartment door handle broke off recently as did one of the window switches. Again, $27 for the window switch amd im sure the glove box won’t be bad.

All in all, small and easy stuff to deal with. WORTH EVERY PENNY AND BEAD OF SWEAT AND CRACKED KNUCKLE ETC!

I also do not deny the existence of vehicles with legit issues. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe it’s the 93 octane and Mobil 1 that I’ve never waivered on. But if I could go back, I’d buy 2 👍

Slizzo
04-26-2021, 06:04 PM
Damn, 10 year thread revival.

Seeing this thread makes me sad. Many of the people posting here are not with us on this Earth any longer.

drglock
04-27-2021, 03:16 PM
Damn, 10 year thread revival.

Seeing this thread makes me sad. Many of the people posting here are not with us on this Earth any longer.

That’s sad to hear. I can’t believe I’ve had this car 13 years now. Where has the time gone? Peace to those who have passed.

tchr49
04-28-2021, 02:18 AM
That’s sad to hear. I can’t believe I’ve had this car 13 years now. Where has the time gone? Peace to those who have passed.

Second that.....

MongosG8
04-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Ditto!

quarkace
05-09-2021, 12:26 PM
I was disappointed by my GXPs lack of features. No Power Seats. Memory seats/Mirrors. Had one of the grills fly out at speed and lost it, that sucked, and after doing a coolant change, noticed the Balancer was wobbling like crazy. I could never get over 18mpg on the fwy either, even driving like a grandpa. Not a bad car, jsut wish I had spent more time b4 buying. At least I was able to sell it at a gain. :)

Niles sharidan
05-24-2023, 09:54 AM
Welcome here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slizzo
05-25-2023, 05:21 AM
Man, dug it up again. I think a few more members have moved on now at this point too.

Fuck.

MongosG8
05-26-2023, 06:22 PM
Man, dug it up again. I think a few more members have moved on now at this point too.

Fuck.

LOL!! I agree. Im still lingering around. Not a lot of action. Everyone is on FB.
I still have the G8.. I have been asked so many times if I wanted to sell it. 2 weeks ago someone left their business card on my windshield. Someone from NJ.

donkeyGT
05-27-2023, 06:33 AM
Still here..still have the 8 with 26k..still don't do bookface.

MongosG8
05-27-2023, 09:29 AM
still don't do bookface.

LMAO! I call it worse. I just couldn't post it. Something to do with Face "Rooster" LOL!! ;)

Slizzo
05-30-2023, 05:40 AM
Yeah I don't have a Facebook account either, have an SS again so still in a Commodore.

jimmyban
07-17-2023, 11:52 AM
I’m still here and still have the G8. Might have to finally start modding….:)

donkeyGT
07-19-2023, 05:25 AM
I’m still here and still have the G8. Might have to finally start modding….:)

Be carefull I have been told modding is highly addictive :cool:

GXPaycheck
07-27-2023, 05:18 AM
Be carefull I have been told modding is highly addictive :cool:

Ain’t it da truth!