PDA

View Full Version : Poor mans intake questions opinions (pictured)

Struggle
09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I thought this might work but am really unsure of any benifit with 4" pipe in place. It is schedule 20 PVC with sewer clamps and a brass flare fitting for the vacuum line.

The air box has been opened up below the air-filter. I disconnected the battery and went and drove it but really cannot tell much of a difference other than more throttle music.

I wonder if a K&N filter was in place of the stock filter if it would help. The total cost is under $30 so far.

My reasoning in doing it this way is that it can be turned back to stock in less than 5 minutes so as to not have to worry about warranty and I am to cheap at this point to drop $300 plus on a CAI.

Even though it looks as though the clamping area by the mass airflow is not right there is plenty of surface area being clamped. Tape around the 90% to 22% fitting is there as my pvc cement glue is dried up.

It is back to stock form right now. Only went for a two mile drive with it like pictured.

I thought is seemed like it had a little lag on a dead stop start. So I am wondering if the larger tube is some how slowing down the velocity of the system and if 3" might work better in reality than 4"
Thoughts concerns? http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/IMG_1657.jpghttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/IMG_1656.jpg

Chewy
09-15-2009, 10:00 AM
If you disconnected the battery it will take a while for the ECM to relearn and run correctly. That's been my observation in the past.

Chris

Posidon42
09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Is that tape I see on the PVC?

familycaronROIDS!
09-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow

SRG963
09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
pvc + heat = dead engine

Shneaky
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Is that tape I see on the PVC?

Tape around the 90% to 22% fitting is there as my pvc cement glue is dried up.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the PVC setups, but as a fellow DIY CAI maker, I appreciate the work. :) For only a tiny bit more cash you can have a very nice DIY setup.

I mimicked the superb DIY project that TurboMatt displayed here... http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=8137 ...and I love it so far.

At first I got some noticeable bog-down as I would mash the throttle at low cruising speeds. But, like many have said before, I believe the ECM needed some time to relearn the change in airflow volume. Now I get less bog, and more kick-in-the-pants....plus a REALLY mean growl from under-hood. If you are worried about being able to return to stock and saving some major cash I would check out the thread I linked above. Mine turned out looking better (IMO) than most of the aftermarket setups, for about 25% of the cost. I can return it to bone stock in about 15 minutes. Plus, the flat-style filter will just never flow as much as a large cone style.

Struggle
09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
pvc + heat = dead engine

I have read up on the PVC thing and it seems to be more of a debate for arguments sake. PVC can take a lot of heat. When it is running it is cool to the touch and gets only hot after it heat soaks but the PVC retains its rigidness.

As for toxic fumes I do not buy into that. We can drink water from PVC yet our engines are soaked in oil and gasoline. The pipe is designed for sewer systems. If a sensor damage does occur it would be back to stock form and then taken in.

All in all it is only an experiment.

The tape as I posted was just a temp thing for a two mile run. The stock set up is back on it.

I did see the other post about Turbo Matts home made set up which is very nice.

BigRed585Lbs
09-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Here's mine. Works fine. $20 Lowe's CAI Mod.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy294/BigRed585Lbs/100_0010.jpg

familycaronROIDS!
09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Would like to see dyno#'s with PVC CAI mod.

Struggle
09-15-2009, 05:50 PM
BigRed what do you have under the heater hoses?

I would also like to know if any gains are made with it as well. I just want it a little better than stock.

Posidon42
09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
We can drink water from PVC

No, you drink water from CPVC, not PVC. It is not only a different size (to mate with copper pipe) but has additional additives to make sure fungus doesn't build up inside. Trust me, I just finished my basement and had an expensive lesson in the difference between the two :)

Posidon42
09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's mine. Works fine. $20 Lowe's CAI Mod.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy294/BigRed585Lbs/100_0010.jpg

Love the look. At least the sewer pipe clamps look better :) Based on this and other threads, I am going to take on making my own version of this. I will probably use your basic design but use a cone filter.

Struggle
09-15-2009, 06:57 PM
No, you drink water from CPVC, not PVC. It is not only a different size (to mate with copper pipe) but has additional additives to make sure fungus doesn't build up inside. Trust me, I just finished my basement and had an expensive lesson in the difference between the two :)

I really do not want to start a fight and the codes have changed plus our home is all in copper, but when we lived in FL the plumbing of choice in the early 90's was pvc in many homes. Obviously this has more to do with locality.

BigRed585Lbs
09-16-2009, 03:10 AM
The heater hose isolator is another Lowe's mod. Some people see that place as a home improvement merchant; I see it as a speed shop for innovators. Full details on the "other" forum.

SRG963
09-16-2009, 06:05 AM
My house has PEX (Crosslink Polyethylene) for water in, PVC for out.

Posidon42
09-16-2009, 07:06 AM
If I had any control of what was in my house, it would have PEX too.

Anyway, I went to the hardware store today to look for some parts, but didn't buy anything. Just doing research right now trying to decide which way I want to go with the intake.

Struggle
09-16-2009, 08:18 AM
PEX is in everything else is out. The plumber friend of ours does not work with anything else. Says its the best product out there for ease of us and installation time.

r33pwrd
09-16-2009, 08:50 AM
PEX is great until you miss a stud by about 1/16 of an inch and end up drilling a hole in it in a 4 day old house :( luckily I didnt know where the water shutoff was! nothing like having to cut a big hole in a new houses wall!

Struggle
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
PEX is great until you miss a stud by about 1/16 of an inch and end up drilling a hole in it in a 4 day old house :( luckily I didnt know where the water shutoff was! nothing like having to cut a big hole in a new houses wall!

One would never guess so much water can come out so fast would they.

That would be a bummer.

todds87ss
09-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I had a system similiar to this initially, and had no bog. I believe that your bog is due to air leaks bypassing the MAF. Spend more energy improving the connections. I see some strange angles in the above pics.

Struggle
09-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I had a system similiar to this initially, and had no bog. I believe that your bog is due to air leaks bypassing the MAF. Spend more energy improving the connections. I see some strange angles in the above pics.

Tonight I finalized alignment of the angles and bonded the two pipes together.

Huge improvement :woohoo:

I have matched paint to the car so I will paint it and then post an updated photo when finished.

I am going to drop in a K&N filter in it when I get to the store or order one and call it done.

Struggle
09-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Wife drove the car today to work. I bet she will not notice anything different unless she punches it some where into town:shutup:

Struggle
09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Here it is finished

I must have smudged the paint is it looks a little flared in the picture. There is quite a difference noticed on doing a power brake burnout now as it spins instantly now as before it took a little more finesse. The total cost was right a $20 less the paint which I had from doing the splash guards.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/intake001.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/intake003.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/intake002.jpg

Chewy
09-23-2009, 11:22 AM
PEX is in everything else is out. The plumber friend of ours does not work with anything else. Says its the best product out there for ease of us and installation time.

My good friend is a plumber and he to loves it but says copper still has its place. IL hasn't made it code yet so you can't use it there. We had him do some work on my fiance's house and he snuck it in there inside the wall. It'll meet code some day! lol The stuff is unbelievable.

Intake looks great! Keep an eye on the rubber fittings. Ozone can kill rubber pretty quickly...

Chris

BigRed585Lbs
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
So can poop!

GT-610
09-25-2009, 03:51 PM
your pvc intake is fine.I had pvc on my intake in my grand prix along with thousands of others with no issues.
as far as pvc water feed,unheard of.only waste lines.pex is the new standard almost everywhere because its cheaper,easier etc.you still have certain areas that need copper

Speed6
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Here it is finished

I must have smudged the paint is it looks a little flared in the picture. There is quite a difference noticed on doing a power brake burnout now as it spins instantly now as before it took a little more finesse. The total cost was right a $20 less the paint which I had from doing the splash guards.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/intake001.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/intake003.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/intake002.jpg

Could you tell me where u got those PVc pipes form (witch store ) and what size ?? I went to look for some but 4in looks huge and thick walled..lol..Are those 4in ? and is it 23deg bend ?:nah:

Posidon42
10-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Yes, the 4" is huge. Some of the ones above are a 90 degree and a 45 degree. Both are tilted so they work. I am hoping to run to lowes this weekend and see what they have. My closest hardware store doesn't have anything like this. I am actually looking get some silicone parts. They are easier to adapt and more flexible but cost a bit more. But $50 for the silicone parts and $25 for clamps / adapters is a lot cheaper than a $300 intake.

Struggle
10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
The pipe is schedule 20 not the schedule 40 so it is thinner. The fittings overlap so no need to pipe straight 4" pipe. The first fitting is a 90 of throttle body and angle fitting is 22 degree I think. The couplings are 3"x4" sewer adaptors. Do not forget glue and the barb fitting for 3/8" vacuum hose and a couple of small hose clamps.

Menard's had this stuff here in the midwest.

todds87ss
10-01-2009, 08:44 PM
You will find those in the sewer pipe section.

sgt_rock
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
This is my work in progress - I haven't decided if I'm going to finish yet. This is a lower cost solution but it is a lot of work. It got to this point because I couldn't give up on it and I just like making stuff. The elbow is from a diesel exhaust, the clear line is just temp and is air line, the boots are silicone fittings from a diesel as well.

I tried getting the pipe bend tighter with an oxy/ace touch and a rose bud tip hitting and quenching the interior bend - it moved only a bit.

Second try, I cut wedges out, heated it back up, closed up the wedges and welded them shut. I had access to MIG, but would have preferred to TIG the joints. The wedges were cut with a die grinder and cutoff wheel. It would have been better to band saw it and cut more wedges so that they could be more narrow.

You MUST get in to the pipe with a die grinder and clean up every joint so that you don't suck any metal from the cutting or welding into the motor. It's a lot of work.

It's been on the car for two days - we did a pretty strong cruise in the green mountains of VT on Sunday - and if nothing else, the car sounds better.

This is a project because you enjoy the work. If this is a drag for you, buy one because it takes quite a bit of work.

Here is a video of us doing a few short burnouts before and after our cruise. Why my neighbors want me to move . . . (http://www.gmcammo.com/Green_Mountain_Custom_Ammunition/About_Us.html)
:nah:

Posidon42
10-06-2009, 08:18 AM
link doesn't work for me.

sgt_rock
10-06-2009, 08:54 AM
link doesn't work for me.

You can go to www.gmcammo.com and click on about us - the video is at the bottom of that page.

Eric

Posidon42
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
There is nothing there. I see a blank spot where there might be a video but it doesn't play and nothing shows up. I am using Firefox. Maybe it is just me or that my machine doesn't like websites built with a mac ;)

bigwillys58
10-06-2009, 05:14 PM
here's mine. also made from a piece of 4" 409ss diesel exhaust. i cut mine at a slight angles and twisted them to get more bend out of it. also (not done in this pic) i welded a -6AN bung in the passenger side of the tube and used black -6AN fittings and line for the vent line. since this i have put another elbow after the MAF putting the filter lower and painted the whole thing semi-gloss black. think i might have $150 invested in it all said and done.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/bigwillys58/08%20G8%20GT/01212009188.jpg

ajayniceg8
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Oh no the sewers overflowing!!!

rogue97gtp
10-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I used ABS pipe when I made my homemade FWI for the GTP when I had it. Made that supercharger scream! Had a 7" K&N in the fenderwell, but wished a lot later that I had bought a CAI because of driving into standing water and then hydrolocking the car.... about 3 - 3 1/2 hrs from home. Luckily for me it did not do any major damage and I was able to force it out of the cylinders after taking the front 3 plugs out then turning it over. Anyways, if you do something like that I would recommend going ABS just from my experience. It works really well and definitely does a good job keeping the air cool. If you want to cool it more then you can use high temp spray or find some type of wrapping (not header wrap, looks like crap with that stuff wrapped around it) that reflects heat really well. Just my .02 FWIW.

johnh
10-25-2009, 06:30 AM
PVC can take a lot of heat.

No it can't. Both the PVC and the Fernco Sewer coupling are rated at 180*F Continuous. Its unlikely to stay that hot under the hood unless its summer, but from what I heard the PVC doesn't like the constant and relatively quick temp fluctuations and quickly can become brittle and crack. I'd inspect it frequently.

It looks pretty good finished.

stryker g8gt
10-25-2009, 08:43 AM
If anyone intersted, here is a link to a compay that sells allumniun elbows up to 4" size and they are pretty cheap.......I have used them before.

http://www.velocityair.cc/stockelbows.htm

BigRed585Lbs
10-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Still a good thread, y'all!

BigRed585Lbs
10-05-2010, 04:09 AM
You see what I mean?:
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy294/BigRed585Lbs/100_0175.jpg

Available at your local home supply store.

BigRed585Lbs
04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Do the 6.0 V8s really need those hoses laying all over the top of the engine when the 5.3s don't?