PDA

View Full Version : Service Review: Wong Performance Engineering

Executor999
09-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Wong's Performance Engineering
9305 Ne Highway 99, Vancouver, WA 98665
(360) 695-9433

I first heard about TJ Wong by word of mouth. That's how is reputation spreads and it shows that he doesn't need a web site to promote is quality and integrity as an A+ GM mechanic. Last year I called him to install an underpulley for my G8 but it never happened because 1) I changed my mind and 2) the economy tanked and suddenly I couldn't put any mods in my car for awhile.

He is very popular with the PNW Corvette owners and many of his customers also come from California. Just today a truck pulled up with a customers Corvette to unload and three out of two bays had Corvettes in the cue plus his own Z06 Corvette.

Thomas is a one man shop and does all the work himself. He trusts no one else to do it. He's cammed 12 Corvettes this year and my G8 was the second G8 he's tuned but probably the first he's cammed and installed AR Headers on.

He's also quick. He started on my car on a Tuesday and the car was put back together on Wednesday On Thursday he waited for the intake and TB to arrive ported.

Charlie confirmed with me that the estimate Thomas gave me was more than fair and comparable to his own rates. Thomas was took the time to answer all my questions, no matter how stupid they might have been.

I picked up the car yesterday and there a few minor issues with the tune. Today, on a Saturday in which Thomas usually has off, he spent half the day with me to fine tune the tune and get rid of both acceleration issues and idling issues. Now that is 110% in my book.

When I opened the hood of my car, it was like he never even touched it. It looked exactly the same, all put back together like it was before. He also took the time to clean up all the parts before reassembly and even used contact spray on the underside to clean up all the excess when he drained the fluids.

TJ Wong is top notch and I recommend him for any G8 mods or upgrades you are considering. Call him. He'll give you the time of day, but be warned. He's busy and his scheduling is at least a month or two in advance!

Friends of his were showing up at the shop today and one of them had this to say: "He will treat your car, probably better than you do." From my experience he's right!

grandmacpubah
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
great to hear. Did he get the tuning issues fixed for you?

Executor999
09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Yes. He spent three hours of his own time today to adjust the tune. We took three drives and he monitored the engine with his Tech II. Acceleration is fixed and so is the standing idle for the most part. There are still times where I'm convinced it's going to stall but that is just the lopiness, which is a brand new experience for me.

See the numbers? He was even surprised that we almost got 100hp out of the all the mods. :)

grandmacpubah
09-12-2009, 07:55 PM
heck ya that's awesome, especially running 92 octane. I'm going to go with a supercharger friendly cam in march. Get rid of the dod hardware...and possibly to a 2600-2800 stall. I'm really glad to hear you had a good experience, we now have someone to do engine work for us.

tjwong
09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Dan thanks for the raving review, I am truly honored. This was one of my first G8's that I had gone deep into so for me it was a bit new as compared to the many many Corvettes that I have modded and tuned. There was some anomolies that I don't normally run into when tuning or modding a C6 even though they share the same basic architecture and even share the same PCM and basic TCM. It seems that the basic LS2 6.0L with the LS3 head combination rquires a few different tricks to get them dialed in just right. I was pleasantly surprised at how the engine responded and with the power gains we garnered from the engine after the DOD delete and with the addition of the camshaft and the headers. I am curious to see how one of these engines will respond to the new LS3 FAST intake once its released. The new LS7 intake shows promise with it published gains from the users that have posted their results. It is however a expensive mod based on hp gains per dollar spent.

GT-610
09-13-2009, 05:10 AM
ita hard to read anything from you,executor999!
I cant stop staring at your AVATAR!!!!

Executor999
09-13-2009, 06:19 AM
LMAO! Yeah that's a favorite pinup pic of mine too. Gosh I need to find a girlfriend who's into that! I'm an artist after all!

SRG963
09-13-2009, 06:20 AM

lol, me too

99-LS1-SS
09-13-2009, 06:21 AM

How ironic. I was just thinking, damn his avatar is distracting, and I got to this post! LOL!

R.Penguin
09-13-2009, 03:45 PM
LMAO! Yeah that's a favorite pinup pic of mine too. Gosh I need to find a girlfriend who's into that! I'm an artist after all!
Certainly gives you something to read when you have her bent over the living room couch! :devil:

tjwong
09-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Certainly gives you something to read when you have her bent over the living room couch! :devil:

Well they look like chinese charactures, I would love the bend that over the couch and spend some time trying to read and translate them!