PDA

View Full Version : New wheels? Having a hard time justifying.

MGMG8GT
09-08-2009, 07:52 PM
My tires are on their last few thousand miles and and my idea has been, when I replace the tires I will replace the wheels at the same time. I have the stock 18" ones, and was planning on picking up some VMR 710's, 19x8.5, 19x9.5 staggered setup with some 275's out back.

Judging by pictures of those on the forums, it would look great.

However.

I can't seem to justify the extra money for wheels in my mind. I know they look good, however, my 18's look "fine." I'd rather buy new tires, some longtubes, and pick up some DBA 4000 rotors and new Hawk pads to replace my slightly warped front rotors. Now if the new wheels were significantly lighter, that'd be one thing.

Am I nuts with this? I take pride in the appearance of my car, and really like it to look good. However, I'd just assume get the performance over the appearance. Am I the only one out there?

edit -- to top it off, I'm almost sure that I'd be more drawn to the wheel gap with aftermarket wheels, and thus would want to lower it. So that'd be throwing more money into it. Plus, I am leery of reduced comfort in ride.

polo
09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't think I'll ever change my wheels. Not because I like the stock ones, but just because I'd rather put the money into something else. Sure, wheels make the car look totally different, but it's still a great looking car with the stock wheels. You could do quite a few mods for the price of a good set of wheels!

08G8V8
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
You are going to buy new tires anyway. You can sell your wheels as spares and cover most of the cost of the wheels. The VMR wheels are only $980 shipped.

Granted, going with 19" wheels and staggered, the tires are going to be more expensive than new 18" tires, but new VMR wheels will look MUCH better.

polo
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
You are going to buy new tires anyway. You can sell your wheels as spares and cover most of the cost of the wheels. The VMR wheels are only $980 shipped.

Granted, going with 19" wheels and staggered, the tires are going to be more expensive than new 18" tires, but new VMR wheels will look MUCH better.

How much do stockers sell for?

08G8V8
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
How much do stockers sell for?

Well, as mine are still sitting in my garage, NOTHING!

I've got 19" stock wheels with 6,500 miles on them, and I am wanting $250 each for them to locals. I have 3 who are interested, but just have not been able to hook up with them yet. I don't really want to deal with shipping them, but I would guess $50 shipping.

I bought a spare from a forum member last year for like $350 shipped.

polo
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I remember a week or so ago someone was 19's for $100 each. I guess that was just crazy cheap? I had no idea they were worth $200-300 each.

08G8V8
09-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I remember a week or so ago someone was 19's for $100 each. I guess that was just crazy cheap? I had no idea they were worth $200-300 each.

Yeah, that was the wheel only. I am selling the wheel, tire and TPMS for $250. The tires are basically new.

polo
09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah, that was the wheel only. I am selling the wheel, tire and TPMS for $250. The tires are basically new.

ohhh, okay. Gotcha. :)

MGMG8GT
09-09-2009, 06:35 AM
If I could get $150 per wheel/tire/tpms I'd have no hesitation whatsoever. Do you think that's too much to ask? The tires still have some life, but they are by no means new. Wheels are in good shape, no curb damage. TPMS included.

08G8V8
09-09-2009, 06:47 AM
I would definitely think so. People aren't buying these as full time use, only as a spare in case of a flat, to get them to a tire store to fix their flat tire. You don't need a ton of tread for use as a spare.

JHP sells a donut spare for $200 shipped. This has no TPMS sensor and you can't drive full speed on it. I would think you could easily get $150 + $50 shipping, or if you had local G8 owners near you they would snatch them up at $150.

The TPMS sensors are $80 for 4 through a forum member, but more expensive as singles.

r33pwrd
09-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I will sell you just stock 19's with very good tire tread for 1K bucks :)