PDA

View Full Version : Sad news for Houston Raceway Park fans

OLD_GOAT
09-07-2009, 07:13 AM
A couple of months ago I went to the HRP website, then checked out the calendar to see when the track would be open on Sundays. The calendar indicated late September.

Yesterday I went back to the calendar to see exactly what Sunday was open in September and noticed that there was no more Sunday test and tunes. None through the year. I sent an email got the reply that basically opening on Sundays for 25-30 cars just wasn't worth the effort and cost and it would be like this until the economy picked back up.

I loved running on Sundays. Watch the Texan game then head on out. Like the guy stated, not a lot of cars, so you get more runs. I'm just not a fan of Friday night and the two hour waits between runs. It seemed like Sundays were for the older crowd, and that is what I preferred.

El.Diablos.G8
09-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Those two hour waits are everywhere and we have a 1/8 mile track here in Iowa/Nebraska

fiveoh
09-07-2009, 08:02 AM
A couple of months ago I went to the HRP website, then checked out the calendar to see when the track would be open on Sundays. The calendar indicated late September.

Yesterday I went back to the calendar to see exactly what Sunday was open in September and noticed that there was no more Sunday test and tunes. None through the year. I sent an email got the reply that basically opening on Sundays for 25-30 cars just wasn't worth the effort and cost and it would be like this until the economy picked back up.

I loved running on Sundays. Watch the Texan game then head on out. Like the guy stated, not a lot of cars, so you get more runs. I'm just not a fan of Friday night and the two hour waits between runs. It seemed like Sundays were for the older crowd, and that is what I preferred.

That sucks. I'll stick to Lonestar raceway. Way less the 2 hour waits, closer and usually way less cars. I was hoping we could have a Sunday track day at HRP thou but I guess that wont happen now. :(

OLD_GOAT
09-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Nothing is going to piss me off than hanging out on a Sunday afternoon, surfing the web only to see a -2000 DA at HRP and they are going to be closed.

:protest:

Mike P
09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Nothing is going to piss me off than hanging out on a Sunday afternoon, surfing the web only to see a -2000 DA at HRP and they are going to be closed.

:protest:

-2000 DA ....... damn! That is awesome.....

GeorgeInNePa
09-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Old Goat, do they do rentals?

Maybe you could set something like that up, rent it for a Sunday, with a rain date of the Sunday after.

Post on a few boards, put up flyers at the local speed shops, etc. You should be able to generate some interest.

I know that Tune Time rents Atco several times per year for testing and you can buy a spot for 200. I know they keep the car count low so it's a bit more expensive.

who?me?
09-07-2009, 12:30 PM
actually I was at hrp last friday. Im one of the g8's in the post "first time to the track with the g8's". My brother got there around 6:30 and was able to do back to back runs. I got there around 8:00 and had maybe 4-6 cars in front of me everytime i came back around. I maybe waited 15-30 min. between each run sometimes there were less cars in front of me. Once there were only 2 cars waiting. Now when it got later like 10 pm the lines got way longer. But even at peak times the wait was never 2 hours. maybe it was a slow night or something. We are going again this friday night when they open we want to get as many runs possible, we are just concered with 60's more then anything at this point.

OLD_GOAT
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Just wait for the weather to get cooler and the DA to get more favorable and then see how many people show up. I do agree it is best to get there as close to gate opening time as you can.

I just like Sundays better.

02txceta
09-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Lonestar just has terrible prep for higher hp cars.......I get better traction on I10 than I do there. :puke: :)

vv8
09-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Hrp is swamped during the cool season at 6pm the line is down 565 waiting for the gates to open, most of the people like old goat,02txceta know what its like and sundays were very nice indeed, its going to sux but what can you do lol