PDA

View Full Version : NC tuning

gascap
09-06-2009, 06:11 PM
i'm looking to get a tune done after my vararam and hsrk come in...has anybody gone to either Carolina Auto Masters or Ryan's performance machines to get their G8 done? if so, how is everything working? i sent an email to both to find out some info, but always good to hear from customers...

thanks guys

Atlas
09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
refer to sticky at top of the Southeast section page...

gascap
09-06-2009, 10:03 PM
i read the sticky and got that both are pretty straight, i was just looking to see what people had been seeing out of their machines since the tune

Atlas
09-06-2009, 11:10 PM
the sticky is based on a lot of research, consumer feedback and my personal experience with each shop... RPM or Alvin at PCMForless is your best bet for a good tune on your car...

99-LS1-SS
09-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Removed my suggestion now that I know more about tuning.

Ktlplxm
09-07-2009, 05:11 AM
If you are in Fayetteville. Go see Jeff @ CAM. No point in driving clear across the state for no reason. I like Alvin, have known him for years, but he's not any better than Jeff and the guys at Tick aren't that great. As far as RPM...I wouldn't go back to that shop if it were free.

Using Jeff, we've made more NA power than anyone else so far. Granted, yes I do have a 427 which explains some of it, but I also have the best gas mileage I've heard reported from any of the modded cars so far (which has nothing to do with the cubes). Mileage may not be a major concern, but it goes to shop what can be accomplished.

Atlas
09-07-2009, 07:02 AM
having dealt with all three, between my TBSS and G8, I can hand on heart say that Alvin and Ryan (RPM) did the best work... despite traveling down to see him 3 seperate times, jeff struggled with bits of my G8 tune, the hotstart issue, and didnt get very good numbers out of my car for the mods as well as not tuning the transmission very well (the flare is horrible on the 1-2, 2-3 shifts and at WOT it shifts from 6 to 4 and finally to 2)... when i got back down to FL, i had my guys retune it, and they fixed the hotstart issue and they picked up 20 more whp NA... if i had stayed in VA, i would have stopped going to creech in favor of RPM... however, there is a lot of good info in here, so make your own deductions... i think jeff is capable when he applies himself, but he just kind of phoned it in on my car...

Ktlplxm
09-07-2009, 07:09 AM
I can say that one thing about jeff's dyno that I've noticed when compared to any other one...his is stingy. Without letting them tune the car I've picked up 15-20 hp at different dyno's so I don't believe its fair to judge diff dyno numbers. I had the similar problem with RPM...my car would never idle or start correctly when I used them. Maybe its just automotive flu. On the auto trans..can't say much there. Jef did tune it first...had issues. Took it to Alvin since he told me to come by and see if he could tackle it... couldn't. Had another local guy try his hand at it.. no luck. The trans then one day just stopped acting up much. Asked Alvin about it, his exact words "the programming in these is so screwy, who knows? Sometimes they do that"

nono50
09-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I picked up over 28 rhp with Jeff's tune, if you would like to feel what his tune feels like I live near Bragg and can give you a ride. Seeing is believing. I can be reached at 910-728-3392.

Scott

G8-4-Speed
11-04-2009, 09:21 AM
OR, just get a HP Tuner or EFI. If you plan to keep modifying then that is the best route and keeps your stock tune handy if needed. Cheeper than relying on a dyno and a shop every time you need something adjusted. I am local plus there are support threads on the forum. Never used a dyno, just the dragstrip.

G8+6=fun
11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
What drag stip do you all go in NC... Fayetteville is just a 1/8 and rockingham is a 1/8 unless test and tune night, Z max is 1/4 when they do test and tune.

OV5-G8OrgGT
11-04-2009, 05:02 PM
The hours on this shop has changed, since he left the company we were working at. Not sure how close you are to Conover, anyway give them a call and see what they can do.

http://trudynosports.com/mainpage.html

G8-4-Speed
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
What drag stip do you all go in NC... Fayetteville is just a 1/8 and rockingham is a 1/8 unless test and tune night, Z max is 1/4 when they do test and tune.

Fayetteville is running 1/4 mile for all street cars on test-n-tune days. They will be running a race and Test-n-tune this Saturday. Then regular test-n-tune Sunday. I should be there this Saturday trying out the next new cam plus a little tuning as needed.
http://www.fayettevillemotorsportspark.com/

99-LS1-SS
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Anyone been to the Z max track lately? How's it hooking these days? I'm sure it's prepped great before and after an event but during the "off season" does it still hook?

G8-4-Speed
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Anyone been to the Z max track lately? How's it hooking these days? I'm sure it's prepped great before and after an event but during the "off season" does it still hook?

Better find a track to run this weekend with the good air we are going to have.....

Z-max should hook but ???? Just come to Fayetteville on Saturday since they will be prepping the crap out of the track for the Radial class running there. I usually cut 1.90's 60ft with stock 18's with there track prep and my tire prep.

G8+6=fun
11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
November shows some good racing at Fayetteville all should come and join in.

Devilish34
11-05-2009, 06:03 PM

You should drive up to Cecil Nov 14. I know of a car looking for a driver.

Alvin
11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I can say that one thing about jeff's dyno that I've noticed when compared to any other one...his is stingy. Without letting them tune the car I've picked up 15-20 hp at different dyno's so I don't believe its fair to judge diff dyno numbers. I had the similar problem with RPM...my car would never idle or start correctly when I used them. Maybe its just automotive flu. On the auto trans..can't say much there. Jef did tune it first...had issues. Took it to Alvin since he told me to come by and see if he could tackle it... couldn't. Had another local guy try his hand at it.. no luck. The trans then one day just stopped acting up much. Asked Alvin about it, his exact words "the programming in these is so screwy, who knows? Sometimes they do that"

Hi, I was not aware you where not happy with what I did on your car. Your more than welcome to give me a call and talk about it one on one. To be fair you called and set up an appointment without any heads up on the car. I made it perfectly clear that I like to have the cars for 2-3 days if they are heavily modified to make sure they are perfect. I'm a perfectionist and rushing cars out in 1-2 hours is something I do not want to do. You kept it a secret until you showed up in person that the car had a built 427 with a pretty decent sized cam. Had I known that I would have told you not to bring it unless you planned on leaving it.

edmanet
11-20-2009, 12:00 PM
You should drive up to Cecil Nov 14. I know of a car looking for a driver.

That's Nov 21 now....LOL

Ktlplxm
11-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Looks to me like I pointed out that three people tuned the trans, and the issues still persisted. You weren't singled out. So it wasn't where I was unhappy with you or your work, just that it didn't change anything. If its researched on different boards as well as this one, I've recommended you for trans tuning several times, and still continue to send local guys to you.