PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Window Hitting Inside Door

Chewy
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey all,

I know some of us have had an issue with the window hitting something hard when we shut the door with the window rolled down, which causes the window tint to be ruined. I was putting in sound deadening Raammat so I decided to figure out what was hitting. You have to remove the inside door panel which is SUPER easy. Then roll the window down and look through the window seal about 5 inches from the rear pillar of the door. You'll see what I am seeing in the picture posted below which I believe is the door lock mechanism but I'm not 100% sure about that. I got in there with the window rolled down being VERY careful not to scratch or break the window while prying the device back away from the window. I did this AND used a felt cabinet door pad on it to keep it from ruining my window and tint.

I put the door all back together and tested.

IT'S FIXED!

I know one persons dealer told them it wasn't fixable...

As Charlie coined... DUMBFUCKS!:)

Good luck and happy fixing!

Chris

Notice the green in this picture. THAT is the device you're looking for. The green isn't hitting but the aluminum housing it's mounted to DOES! It's VERY hard to get a good picture inside the door with the window seal.

catalina421
09-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks so much for the post, I noticed this thursday and wondered if it was just me.

bobyoung
09-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I think I'm the one who's dealer said it wasn't fixable. I noticed the whole window rattled inside the door when shutting it with the window down the day I bought it. I called attention to it and they said it was a known issue and when they had a fix for it they would call me (yeah right). I brought it back a while later, they threw some padding in there and it was OK for a couple of days, I brought it back again and they said that there was no fix for it. It rattles to this day. They told me it was because the rials for the windows didn't go high enough up, the passenger side window rattles much less though. I need to bring it in the get a U-joint fixed anyway so I'll see if they can do something again. If they can't I'll take it apart.

JimmyJazz
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
The things you can find searching! What did you use to pry the aluminum piece and how were you able to put the felt on? Thanks for the detective work,I was about to start looking for 1) what put a dot in my tint and 2)what was causing my door to rattle.

Chewy
09-30-2009, 04:49 AM
I used a long screwdriver and was VERY VERY careful not to scratch or worse... BREAK the glass. I used the same screw driver to attach the piece of sticky felt to the same spot. I do believe I bent it enough that the felt does nothing but add a measure of safety.

Cheers,
Chris

Greg@PacePerformance
09-30-2009, 05:31 AM
xTooltipElement
Service Information 2009 Pontiac G8 | G8 Service Manual | Document ID: 2280363
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#09-08-64-019: Front Side Door Window Rattles When Closing Door with Window Down (Reposition and Glue Window Regulator Noise Dampener Sleeve) - (May 19, 2009)

Subject: Front Side Door Window Rattles When Closing Door With Window Down (Reposition and Glue Window Regulator Noise Dampener Sleeve)

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on hearing a rattle noise coming from the front side door window when the door is closed with the window in the down position.

Cause

Note: The graphic above shows examples of a partial (1) and full detachment (2) of the rubber dampener sleeve from the cable tube holder.

This condition may be caused by a loose rubber dampener sleeve moving from it's installed position on the regulator cable tube holder. Repeated contact with the door glass may work the sleeve loose so that it is no longer in position to protect the glass from making contact with a hard surface.

Correction
Remove the front door window regulator, apply instant adhesive glue and reinstall the rubber sleeve to it's proper location on the tube holder following the steps below:

Remove the front door window regulator from the door. Refer to Front Side Door Window Regulator Replacement in SI.
Place the window regulator on a clean work surface.

Tip
Apply the glue around the complete circumference of the tube holder to ensure the surface is coated when the sleeve is pushed on. Wipe any excess from the end of the holder/sleeve before it dries.

Apply a small amount of LOCTITE® 406™ Prism® Instant Adhesive*, or equivalent, around the surface of the cable tube holder (1) and immediately push the rubber sleeve (2) back into position on the tube holder.

Ensure the sleeve is seated in position on the tube holder and then allow the adhesive to dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Reinstall the window regulator. Refer to Front Side Door Window Regulator Replacement in SI.
Parts Information
LOCTITE products may be purchased through your local distributor. Information about LOCTITE product retailers in your area may be obtained by calling 1-800-LOCTITE (1-800-562-8483) in the U.S. and 1-800-263-5043 in Canada.

Part Number
Description

40604*
LOCTITE® 406™ Prism® Instant Adhesive (3.0 g tube)

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for, or assume any responsibility for the products or materials from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B9899*
R & R Front Door Regulator - Reposition and Glue Dampener Sleeve
0.7 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

SRG963
09-30-2009, 06:09 AM
I used a long screwdriver and was VERY VERY careful not to scratch or worse... BREAK the glass. I used the same screw driver to attach the piece of sticky felt to the same spot. I do believe I bent it enough that the felt does nothing but add a measure of safety.

Cheers,
Chris

Question: You removed the inside door panel and went threw the top of the window opening in the door to push the metal back? I tried to get to that spot from inside the door, but couldn't see what I needed to fix, lol.

conipc
09-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Always a good rule to roll up windows before shutting doors--less stress on the hardware. I had a Jaguar which would break regulators if you didn't!!

SRG963
09-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Always a good rule to roll up windows before shutting doors--less stress on the hardware. I had a Jaguar which would break regulators if you didn't!!

How are you supposed to jump threw the windows like the Duke boys with them up?

ROFL

BigRob
09-30-2009, 11:25 AM
yeah, it always bugged me when it happened, i just got used to rolling the windows up

Chewy
09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Question: You removed the inside door panel and went threw the top of the window opening in the door to push the metal back? I tried to get to that spot from inside the door, but couldn't see what I needed to fix, lol.

Yes you HAVE to remove the door panel. SUPER easy.

I took the picture with the door panel off.

Thanks Greg for the post.

And rolling the windows up is a work around which I am NOT cool with. No doubt it's hard on the stuff but I don't slam the door. I shut it gently. Problem is if someone else is in the car and slams it. It ruins my tint. :spank:

Cheers,
Chris

SRG963
09-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Problem is if someone else is in the car and slams it. It ruins my tint. :spank:

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks

and that's exactly what the dealership did to my tint, but I didn't catch it until later....bitches

SRG963
09-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Removing the door panel is not needed. It doesn't provide any more clearance to get into that tiny little gap. I had to adjust my tweeter, so no biggie, but I did my passenger side without removing anything.

I did like Chris, placed a small piece of thin adhesive soft side Velcro onto the tip of a flat head screwdriver and dropped it into place using my fingers to hold open the gap. I used a wood shim to press the felt to the metal bracket once I had it in place with the screw driver. Used the skinny side of the shim at first, then turned around and used the fat end to press back into the bracket as well as I could.

Once the window is down, you will see a felt cover. To get past that and into the gap, start in the middle of the door and insert your finger and work back to the metal bracket. This isn't required on the passenger side.

The drivers side door is much easier to fix due to having more room in the gap. The bracket is closer to the front of the passenger side door which makes it a little more challenging.

Best news, I didn't do any damage :woohoo:

Here are some pics of my fix.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/Door%20Fix/DoorFixforTint001.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/Door%20Fix/DoorFixforTint002.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/Door%20Fix/DoorFixforTint003.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/Door%20Fix/DoorFixforTint004.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/Door%20Fix/DoorFixforTint005.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/Door%20Fix/DoorFixforTint007.jpg

Chewy
09-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Cool! Yeah I covered my doors inside and out with Raammat so I had the panels off. I found it easier this way. I didn't do the passenger side as I've had no issues with it.

majesticix
10-05-2009, 06:17 AM
I'm getting a loud clunk noise when I roll my rear driver's side window back up. It doesn't happen all the time, but when the window has been down for a while, and I roll it back up, it usually happens. Just started about 2 weeks ago. It's so freaking loud, I nearly jumped out of my seat the first time it happened. Is this the same thing?

Only happens when rolling the window up and sounds off when the window reaches the half point or so in the roll up.

SRG963
10-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm getting a loud clunk noise when I roll my rear driver's side window back up. It doesn't happen all the time, but when the window has been down for a while, and I roll it back up, it usually happens. Just started about 2 weeks ago. It's so freaking loud, I nearly jumped out of my seat the first time it happened. Is this the same thing?

Only happens when rolling the window up and sounds off when the window reaches the half point or so in the roll up.

Not the same thing. The is an issue with something (speaker?) coming loose in the rear door though, may want to have the dealership check it out.

majesticix
10-05-2009, 06:25 AM
OK sounds good. Thanks.

waltah
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
is this the same reason i have a pencil tip sized hole in my tint on the drivers window?

SRG963
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM
is this the same reason i have a pencil tip sized hole in my tint on the drivers window?

Yup....wonder if Joeskyo has see this thread???

nonexistent
10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow, I have a hole in my tint too, which is probably around 5-6 inches or so from the B pillar going forward. I thought the seat belt metal piece might have hit it, but I never recalled my seat belt jumping from me. Never knew what the cause was til I read this.

Thanks for the find and fix Chris.