PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: GXP Racers (and G8 GT Racers too)!

bracketracer
09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
I am looking for any other owners of GXPs (or GTs), automatics or manuals, in WI, IL, and IA, to join me at the track on either of the following dates.

Sunday, Sept 20, 2009 Byron Dragway, Byron, IL
Saturday, Oct 10, 2009 Cordova Dragway Park, Cordova, IL

The Byron event of Sept 20 has a number of portions. There is Test-N-Tune, the Chicago WiseGuys, and the Heartland Drag Racers Association Race For Hunger. I am a bracket racer by nature, so I will be competing for money in the HDRA event.

The Cordova event on Oct 10 is a Buick Olds Pontiac only event. There is a car show that day for those who want to shine on the show field. More importantly to me, there is Test-N-Tune, Trophy Racing, and Money Racing, and it is a well organized event by the Blackhawk Chapter of the POCI. I will be competing in the BOP No Box Street Tire Money class.

I have a twofold reason for extending this invitation. First off I'd like to see a number of other G8s there to show folks what they are capable of. Maybe it will be a way for a number of us to meet for the first time! Secondly, I am really trying to find someone with an A6 GXP to be able to line up against on the track. Many claim that the A6 is automatically (pun intended) quicker & faster than the M6, and I want to put that theory to the test. I hope we will be able to get a number of GXPs there, both A6 and M6 to see how true the theories are. Please join me for a day of fun on both or either of the days!

Chewy
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Cordova is only a 30 minute drive for me. Let me know if you want to do it. I haven't had mine on the track yet so this may be a fun time to try it out.

Unfortunately I only have a GT...

Chris

Chewy
09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Never mind... Sorry... I'll be out of town... :hang:

99-LS1-SS
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
I think the reason the A6 is supposed to be faster is simply because it's easier to launch. I'll bet if both cars are perfectly driven the M6 will pull away on the top end.

bracketracer
09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Alright folks, we are now 10 days out from the BOP event at Cordova, and I still haven't had any A6 GXP owners offer to step up to the plate to be there. Heck I will be happy to see any other G8 owners there, period. I had one other M6 GXP owner show up with me at the event at Byron, which was great. It was his first time back to the track in years, traction and air were mediocre, and he wanted to run it like he drives it on the street. All those factors resulted in lots of tire smoke, and slower ETs than he is capable of. He only made 3 runs, so I know he'll do much better with more practice. I am crossing my fingers that weather that day will be good, and that there will be plenty of other G8s (GXPs, GTs, and Base V6s) joining me!

bracketracer
10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
BOP Day at Cordova is now only 4 days away and I still haven't heard from any other G8 owners that will be joining me. The forecast for Saturday is Sunny with a high in the upper 40s (cool for me, but great for my LS3!), humidity in the 50%-60% range, and winds out of the WNW, which is an offset tailwind at Cordova. That should put the Density Altitudes in the range of 1200 and less. I am really hoping that combo will bump me into the high 12s, or at least give me a new PB. I'd love to have some other G8s there showing what these cars can do! Please reply if you can make it.

wagon540
10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I might be able to make it. I've been saying all year that i wanted to see what the G8 will do so this may be my chance. 46 degrees, 3.90 gears with street tires = no traction so leave TC on and floor it i guess. I'm about 90 miles away, do you trailer your car or drive it to the track?
I won't know if i need to work Sat until Friday afternoon but if i don't and can get the Vararam on Friday night i'll run up there. What time does it start?

Kim.

bracketracer
10-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Don't let the temp scare you. Cordova usually does very good track prep, and there are enough slick tired cars there to lay down rubber to grip. I've raced there at Division Championships for IHRA a few times at temps below freezing, and grip on the track was still pretty good. I do not trailer my GXP there, it's my good weather daily-driver. I use a tow dolly to get my Sunbird there though after a catastrophic axle failure (grenaded the inner tripod with Drag Radials and great grip) there a few years back (200 miles is a long way from home when you break!). Gates open tomorrow at 9:00 with eliminations beginning at 1:00. They have "no box" money classes, a front wheel drive class (my old stomping grounds), and a trophy class, plus a Test-N-Tune class. The price is right, $35 to race in money classes, $20 for Trophy or Test-N-Tune, and $10 spectator. Weather forecast looks like any rain should hold off until about 3:00. They may try to start a little early to get the whole show in if that happens.

I am really anxious now that I recalculated where the Density Altitudes will be. If the barometer can hold in the upper 29 range, the Density Altitudes will start the day as low as negative 300 feet, and then rise to about 300 feet positive by mid-day. If I can launch right tomorrow, I think I will be able to post some very interesting numbers on Sunday! I'd love to have some other G8 owners there having fun racing, and as potential witnesses!

wagon540
10-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Looks like i will be there. Girlfriend wants to come too but thinks it's gonna be too cold. I said sit in the car till i get to the line then i'll be back in about 13 seconds, hopefully. Haha.
Maybe i can keep up with a GXP. Kim.

-Ray-
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
286 miles is too far for me.

bracketracer
10-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Looks like i will be there. Girlfriend wants to come too but thinks it's gonna be too cold. I said sit in the car till i get to the line then i'll be back in about 13 seconds, hopefully. Haha.
Maybe i can keep up with a GXP. Kim.

Glad to hear you will be there! I am bringing my girlfriend too, but she already knows she need to dress in layers. The air is going to be so good that I will be fine if I just get in a number of timeruns. I seem to recall being able to get plenty of runs in at this event in the past. Rain sounds like it will hold off until after noon, and there's only a 30% chance. Glad to hear I won't be the only G8 there. Look for my GXP in the pits, and I'll try to save a space for you!

bracketracer
10-10-2009, 04:51 PM
I can't believe how bad my luck has been with Mother Nature this year! I drove 200 miles to Cordova this morning, only to find out the event had been cancelled for SNOW! They got reports of measurable snow falling in Des Moines that was heading east, so they decided to cancel. In their defense, I did drive thru snow flurries on the way home about an hour later, but nothing to accumulate. I am most disappointed that we didn't get to make at least some time runs. The Density Altitude was reading 500 feet BELOW sea level, and we had an offset tailwind. My weather station was predicting 13.04, but I think I could have gotten solidly into the 12s with a good launch. I did see a custom IOM G8 GT leaving just as I arrived, but they disappeared before I could talk to them. Was it a member of this board? Oh well, now I have to hope that the weather holds long enough for me to get to the track at least once before the season closes up here. I can almost taste a 12 second pass!

-Ray-
10-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Sorry you didn't get to run. I'm glad I didn't make that drive.

wagon540
10-10-2009, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE= I did see a custom IOM G8 GT leaving just as I arrived, but they disappeared before I could talk to them. Was it a member of this board? ]

Yeah that was me, i had just gotten the bad news too. We only drove an hour+ home to the south and it didn't rain or snow all day. We actually stopped at a gas station down the road thinking you might go by but i guess it makes sense you came from the north. Rain date next Sat so we'll see about that.
At least i got to give the G8 a good run, then came home, worked on the nitrous setup and used up 2 rolls of masking tape trying to figure out some stripes.
Maybe see you next weekend, anyone else?
Kim, (and Judi)

bracketracer
10-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Ironically you didn't wait quite long enough. My buddy who came down with me (with a high 11 second '75 TA in enclosed trailer) and I went there to fill up our gas tanks, and then we had breakfast at the restaurant next door. Unfortunately, I have to work next Saturday, so I can't be there. If you go, good luck!