PDA

View Full Version : Shattered at the Pump, Pt. 2

Larry GT
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Gauging by the previous comments from car owners not experiencing gas cap shattering, I somewhat reluctantly write of today's experience - the new cap remained whole, but the gas cap lid fell off and landed on the cement ground, scratching countless hours spent this morning detailing.

Suffice to say, I do NOT roughly handle any part of the car. Today's sad experience at the pump at least did not alert the "engine check" prompt after I pieced the lid back in place. Some may be able to say...but I did notice during my DIY repair job two drilled holes in the lid where screws are supposed to go?

Panzer Leader
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Just had mine replaced. Will check on the screws. Will let you know. Sounds as if the dealer FUpped. Get them to get you a new lid.

Larry GT
09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
TY P.L. My contact at the dealership said yesterday he would check on a G8 they had under repair, as regards to my problem. He said there might have been rivets intended for those drilled holes.

Who knows? He never got back to me, and is probably now enjoying L.D.Weekend. I do appreciate your research, and if it is just a matter of screws - no sweat for me. As for a replacement lid...a fine idea, but waiting on the replacement gas cap does not augur well for replacing the lid/cover.