PDA

View Full Version : Stability control

yield2ten
08-30-2009, 11:33 AM
When you disable stability/traction control, does it disable it 100%? I'm just curious because I know with my Grand Prix, even after "disabling" traction control by using the TC button on the dash, there were still some layers of TC enabled. I think the only way to completely disable it was to pull a fuse under the hood that also disabled anti-lock brakes and power steering or something. Just curious if the G8 is similar.

SRG963
08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes, it's completely off.

bobyoung
08-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah, I have mine off almost 100% of the time, it's good practice, especially with a good TCM tune..

johnbell2
08-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I leave it on for just puttering around. It's saved my bacon on a couple of occasions so I don't mind. If it's a straight line run I turn it off since it pulls back timing if you scratch the shifts and it happens to kick in.

Aaron407
09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Did you have a 1997 Grand Prix? I believe there was no way to completely disable traction control on the 97, but newer you could completely disable it. If you owned one newer than that, you were likely seeing the effects of torque management's decision that you were in an 'abusive maneuver' moreso than traction control, which sometimes manifest themselves in the same way. On my 2003 GTP I also found that sometimes trying to spin the tires from a stop with traction control off would not have expected results, but once I disabled torque management with my tuner it always worked as expected. I believe this is also the case with our G8's.

darkan
09-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I actually rigged a switch on my old Grand Prix to interrupt the circuit to the traction control. That way I didn't have to plug a fuse in and out. I'm glad the G8 turns if off all the way!

jaxredg8
09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Nothing beats drifting onto the freeway! Oh wait, we're not supposed to do that??