PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shake when braking

MGMG8GT
08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Whenever I am coming to a stop at a light, the steering wheel shakes pretty substantially now. It seems to have gotten progressively worse. If I take my hands off the wheel when coming to a stop from say, 20, and give the brakes a light to moderate amount of pressure, the wheel is visibly shaking back and forth. Anyone have an idea what's going on? I've had the dealer rotate my wheels on a regular interval, and at speed it is smooth.

R.Penguin
08-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, you are well & truly f*cked! :huh: Whole thread here somewhere.:poof:

G8H8
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=9834

Warped rotors????? Mine goes in the shop next Tuesday for passenger side lower control arm and to check the rotors. Its gotten worse with the noise from the control arm.

And don't mind the Penguin. You'd be mad too if you had no penis

Now, onto the mating itself: Like in most birds, penguins have no external genitalia. That’s right, male penguins don’t have penises and the females don’t have vaginas. The male’s sperm is produced in the testes and stored in his cloaca (kind of an all purpose orifice for defecating, urinating, and reproduction). The female also has a cloaca that leads to the ovaries. The female penguin lies flat on the ground and the male penguin presses his cloaca onto hers and passes the sperms through.

gearhead455
08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Sounds like warped rotors like G8H8 said.

MGMG8GT
09-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Front rotors are warped. Warranty will not cover it. They quoted $160 to machine them down. Going to wait and see what other options, perhaps aftermarket, that I have. Any opinions?

Chewy
09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Make DAMN sure when you have tires replaced or rotated that they are using a torque wrench to torque the nuts. Torque sticks will NOT work.

Chris

MGMG8GT
09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Make DAMN sure when you have tires replaced or rotated that they are using a torque wrench to torque the nuts. Torque sticks will NOT work.

Chris

I'll check it out with my torque wrench when I get the car back. What is the recommended torque spec?

MitsukiGT
09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Whenever I am coming to a stop at a light, the steering wheel shakes pretty substantially now. It seems to have gotten progressively worse. If I take my hands off the wheel when coming to a stop from say, 20, and give the brakes a light to moderate amount of pressure, the wheel is visibly shaking back and forth. Anyone have an idea what's going on? I've had the dealer rotate my wheels on a regular interval, and at speed it is smooth.

I've had this problem from day 1. I can't remember a single time I locked up the brakes or even had to stop hard. I mentioned this a while back but it went ignored so I figured I was the only one.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?p=127799#post127799

MitsukiGT
09-02-2009, 07:53 AM

Chris

Is this car picky about this? I've always just used the old fashion tire iron and wrenched on it until tight (in the correct order of course). Haven't had the G8's wheels off yet..

Chewy
09-02-2009, 08:17 AM
I think all cars are picky with the alloy's used now in the rotors. The old cast iron ones were hard to warp. By doing it by hand you've probably gotten them close. When using an impact it's hard to judge.

I torque my nuts to 110ftlbs. My trucks are set at 100ftlbs.

SRG963
09-02-2009, 09:45 AM
check your tire pressure

G8H8
09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Torque spec is 125ft.lbs

-Ray-
09-02-2009, 12:21 PM

You most likely have excessive runout on the front rotors. Another thing that can cause this and that is a hard spot in the rotor. They usually turn blue, and leave a slight streak on the rotor surface.

Tjay74
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Take the rotors off yourself and have the local auto parts store turn them for maybe $8 each.

How many miles are on the car, gm warranties the rotors for the first 7500 miles.

MGMG8GT
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
23k miles.

My service guy recommended I just go aftermarket. He said he did not see an issue putting better quality aftermarket pads and rotors up front, and leaving the rears as is.

Thoughts?