PDA

View Full Version : Adding SC to cammed G8

knee_dragger
08-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Currently has a non-dod cam package with header, 2800 conv, and few other mods. I've been be having some problems with idle and when coasting on decel. I've been working to get this resolved for a little bit now and been contemplating on a cam swap with a milder cam to get back to a smoother idle without the idle problems.

I was told by a couple people that sometimes adding SC or turbo to a cammed car will calm thing down, maybe run smoother. Has anyone else heard or experience this? Should I keep my current cam and see how it runs, or swap the cam when adding the SC and go back to that stock idle feel.

I'd really like to just see what my current setup will do with the maggie, but it would be cheaper to do cam swap and maggie at the same time instead of paying for labor twice.

Oh yeah purchased a Maggie which should be getting install next week! :woohoo:

Thanks

GRRRR8
08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
How big of a cam do you have now?

knee_dragger
08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
How big of a cam do you have now?

just the 228/240 Cam package. nothing too big

G8GT594
08-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Tune sounds like it needs work. There is no reason why it should be having that problem. If you add the maggie plan to have your converter restalled depending on much more power you make.

knee_dragger
08-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Tune sounds like it needs work. There is no reason why it should be having that problem. If you add the maggie plan to have your converter restalled depending on much more power you make.

True but there are a lot of other G8s & vettes over on the HP forums that are having some of the same issues. We have been working through them and it's 100% better, just not sure if I have the time and patience to keep going back.

Also I was told that triple disk convertor should be okay. Thanks

GRRRR8
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
I would swap the cam for something with smaller duration. I had a recent experience with that cam and it had too much surge and for the power it made it wasnt worth the loss of drivabilty.

My cam was bigger and had little to no surge at lights.

GeorgeInNePa
08-27-2009, 07:05 PM
True but there are a lot of other G8s & vettes over on the HP forums that are having some of the same issues. We have been working through them and it's 100% better, just not sure if I have the time and patience to keep going back.

Also I was told that triple disk convertor should be okay. Thanks

Really?

I've yet to hear of anyone having any luck with a triple in a G8.

Ask Roy (edmanet) about his triple disk converter...

Ask the guys at Livernois who spent a lot of tuning time to try to get it to work.

knee_dragger
08-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I would swap the cam for something with smaller duration. I had a recent experience with that cam and it had too much surge and for the power it made it wasnt worth the loss of drivabilty.

My cam was bigger and had little to no surge at lights.

Your experience with SC or just cam? I don't get ths surge and lights. I Have rpms bouncing when crusing in Drive or Sport, I see the tranny shift down from 6,5,4. When it shifts into 4th and I'm coasting the rpms start to bounce. This ONLY happens when going from 6th to 5th to 4th, it doesn’t do it if it doesn't go higher than 4th. It only happens when in gear higher than 4th and the trans starts to down shift to 4th. This always starts around the 38-39 mph.

Seems to be pulling timing from some where which causing the issue.

Ktlplxm
08-28-2009, 04:58 AM
If they cannot make that cam idle, switch tuners, its that simple. I had that cam in my 6.0L w no problem at all, it is still in my 7.0L. The supercharger will not calm it down any; why should it? Your sources seem to get alot of their info from message boards vs actual experience, triple converters suck ass; plain and simple. Send your computer to Jeff @ CAM and have him put my old tune in it, perfect start, perfect idle, good power, no surge.

stryker g8gt
08-28-2009, 06:24 AM
+1 for switching tuners........... just sucks money wise to switch tuners.

Devilish34
08-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Who is your tuner??

Ktlplxm
08-28-2009, 06:48 AM
but what sucks more spending money for a new tuner that has already gotten right and can fix it, or continued time and money wasted on a tuner that cannot?

g8_795
08-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Your experience with SC or just cam? I don't get ths surge and lights. I Have rpms bouncing when crusing in Drive or Sport, I see the tranny shift down from 6,5,4. When it shifts into 4th and I'm coasting the rpms start to bounce. This ONLY happens when going from 6th to 5th to 4th, it doesn’t do it if it doesn't go higher than 4th. It only happens when in gear higher than 4th and the trans starts to down shift to 4th. This always starts around the 38-39 mph.

Seems to be pulling timing from some where which causing the issue.

This is a tune issue. My car did this before I tuned it correctly.

Ktlplxm
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Probably not best idea to mention the tuners name, in case it is an isolated incident. Unfortunately alot of times forums will ruin a person's business through nothing more than bashing. It doesn't hurt to pm it to someone, but don't do it out in the open. If the service is really bad then open a thread in the Lounge or regional areas

99-LS1-SS
08-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Probably not best idea to mention the tuners name, in case it is an isolated incident. Unfortunately alot of times forums will ruin a person's business through nothing more than bashing. It doesn't hurt to pm it to someone, but don't do it out in the open. If the service is really bad then open a thread in the Lounge or regional areas

This!

G8GT594
08-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Yup switch tunners. And whoever told you a triple disc is ok is clearly wrong. There have been several members on her that went to singles because of huge tunning isuess with a triple. A single will take your power flawlessly.

Mike P
08-28-2009, 08:37 AM
yup switch tunners. And whoever told you a triple disc is ok is clearly wrong. There have been several members on her that went to singles because of huge tunning isuess with a triple. A single will take your power flawlessly.

+1

Devilish34
08-28-2009, 08:54 AM

True I should of pm'ed him. Everyone runs into a issue with someone some time.
No need to ruin someones name over what could be an isolated issue.

Ktlplxm
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
True I should of pm'ed him. Everyone runs into a issue with someone some time.
No need to ruin someones name over what could be an isolated issue.

Oh no harm done, i ws more saying that it shouldn't be answered in public vs asked in public. Probably wasn't my place ot say it but occasionally I forget where I "moderate" lol

edmanet
08-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Oh no harm done, i ws more saying that it shouldn't be answered in public vs asked in public. Probably wasn't my place ot say it but occasionally I forget where I "moderate" lol

You just like to keep us in line .... LMAO

GeorgeInNePa
08-28-2009, 09:55 AM

I agree.

If you have a bad experience,by all means post about it. But there is no sense in starting a brawl.

This might just be a "wires crossed" sort of thing.

Ktlplxm
08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
You just like to keep us in line .... LMAO

hmmm, you could have a point. that would explain my avatar on the other board... maybe I'll just switch it here too

Devilish34
08-28-2009, 10:34 AM

Oh no someone somewhere gave you mod power
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

knee_dragger
08-28-2009, 11:23 AM
No problems with tuner or shop. All the guys over there have bent over backwards with any request I've made. He has tuned numerous cars that have come out great, just seems my car is a little special.

I have been to a couple other tuners around the area and have not received the type of service that I expect or now get. So I'm going to stick it out for now.

Thanks.

Ktlplxm
08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Oh no someone somewhere gave you mod power
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

Had it before...relinquished it. the urge to ban on the basis of "dumbass" was too strong, not to mention I found myself uttering every villain's quotes from movies lol I think Training Day's was the worse..."you disloyal, fool-*ss, b#tch made punk..."