PDA

View Full Version : 7 sec street car

CanadianEh
08-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I have been helping out a racing team in the last few months with their '78 Malibu and it has been a blast. The fastest the car ran up until these videos was 7.81... the record was smashed with a 7.64 and then a 7.54. I figured I would post up a couple videos of the last time at the track.. going up again this weekend to try and beat the records again.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PGILA65s6rg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PGILA65s6rg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FMNPdzeFkTU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FMNPdzeFkTU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GRRRR8
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
That car moves!

1GXP4ME
08-27-2009, 10:48 AM
TH400? Sounded like it shifted twice

johnbell2
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
That car is a BEAST. Ho lee shit.

gearhead455
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a big block to me, Rat power?

polo
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I wish my car needed a parachute. That thing is crazy fast.

CanadianEh
08-28-2009, 02:44 AM
It moves pretty fast... try standing 3 feet behind it and watching it leave it is amazing to watch. The tranny is made by Rossler.. not totally sure which one or the specs on it I believe it is all custom made. It is 707 cubic inch and around 2400 HP and drinks lots of Nitrous haha.. It is pure muscle no blowers

bobyoung
08-30-2009, 07:19 PM
That thing is awesome.

CanadianEh
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
So we didn't get to make a full pass with the car last weekend.. had some issues and didn't want to risk it.

On the really bad side a team we race against had a much worse weekend. His car is pretty much totaled but he is fine just a bit sore. Thank god for roll cages

Here is a video someone got.. there is another one on youtube but its not as good.... fyi I really want that green machine in my garage.. it was a 7.06 at 196 mph on friday night, a new record

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TvcjfXkf0Ao&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TvcjfXkf0Ao&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

R.Penguin
08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Ah, bad luck that!

Blackrider
09-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm just impressed he saved it from hitting the wall!

johnbell2
09-01-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm just impressed he saved it from hitting the wall!

+1 he almost had that reeled back in. Shit happens fast out there...

gr8lover
12-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Nice 78 Malibu!!!! They are good cars to work with!!! You guys better be doing a whole bunch of stuff over the winter cause I think our 78 Mailbu will catch you next year. My friend Josh who I am helping this year is making his faster this year-- working on it all winter....just got done with the upgraded roll cage... Last year he had carnage happen when he did a double wheely... this year that wont happen.. hopefully.. His best last year was 7.82@180.... next year much faster... so see you in the pits!!!! Nothing better than good old competition!!! Boy I wish our G8's were as easy to work on as these Malibu's are!!!!

gr8lover
12-22-2009, 11:54 PM
wow!!!! 707 cu in.... just saw that in the posts... man that is a monster.... Josh only has 402 cu in with procharger.... but hopefully we can into the 7.5 range....

CanadianEh
12-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Nice 78 Malibu!!!! They are good cars to work with!!! You guys better be doing a whole bunch of stuff over the winter cause I think our 78 Mailbu will catch you next year. My friend Josh who I am helping this year is making his faster this year-- working on it all winter....just got done with the upgraded roll cage... Last year he had carnage happen when he did a double wheely... this year that wont happen.. hopefully.. His best last year was 7.82@180.... next year much faster... so see you in the pits!!!! Nothing better than good old competition!!! Boy I wish our G8's were as easy to work on as these Malibu's are!!!!

awsome! yea they are awsome cars.. lots of room to work on them. Definately a good time i like the mph! we cant seem to get more top end speed out of the car it is stuck at 179.99!! we tune it up a bit and beefed up the nitrous a bit the last pass of the year it woulda been a pretty illegal run if the car made it down the track but we couldnt hook it. Nothing really all that special going on with the car over the winter... the big issue we have is the car is only legal to go 7.50's because of the weight of the car we need to shed around 600 pounds to go any faster and put a new cage in it. The motor is plenty capable of taking a much lighter car down the track with mid 6's. It is 707 cu in.. we run 2 kits of nitrous in it.. Pat Musi built the motor thats in it the tranny is Rossler

CanadianEh
12-23-2009, 07:22 AM
btw.. where abouts do you race the car?

dukeofpg
12-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow that wreck was tough. I want to know what causes the car to rock back and forth like it did just before the roll. Twice I have been in like situations. The car did not roll, but one time I had slowed the car to about 30 mph before it began to rock and it went up on the right side wheels. Are the sidewalls folding in? What do you think. I dont want to end up on the shiny side.

When you are in the car, it feels like you are about to slide. Then it grabs and snaps back the other way. It will continue until all the inertia is gone. It happens at relatively low speeds.

CanadianEh
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
I think in his case the tire pressure on both rears were not even making it pull to one side... when the car got out of the groove it was toaste

to add to that.. it does tend to happen at low speeds because it is at low speeds the tires tend to be doing the most work, once you get half or 3/4 of the way down the track if you get out of the groove it isent going to matter as much

just what i figure is going on there is no scientific proof lol

gr8lover
12-23-2009, 02:41 PM
btw.. where abouts do you race the car?

We will be at Milan, mi on Friday nights and at Norwalk and Cincinatti many other weekends and some other competitions. Yea the new roll cage rules made him redo the cage up to the 25.3 standards... I think thats the number..... just got that done about two weeks ago so you can imagine what the car looks like..... every pc is off of it and all over.. should be fun.. I think if you look on utube and look for Josh and Malibu you will see it.....

Good luck next year!!!!

PS.... He is trying to talk me into going radical on my G8 and wants me to completely tear down my G8 and make it the first G8 in the 8's but I think he is a bit crazy!!!! Who knows!!!! He also wants to make my G8 to be the first G8 to do a wheelie so some day it may happen!!!! Now I know he is crazy!!!!!

CanadianEh
12-24-2009, 04:22 AM
Yea new cage rules kinda screwed us over on that one but if we can get the car to hook next summer i think we are going to see what it can do at our local track... not much they can say after you already did your run other then dont come back but around here that wont happen there isnt enough cars and losing one of their biggest crowd bringers will hurt.

I couldnt bring myself to do that to my G8... it would be amazing though to see a 8s 4 door haha! I hope to find myself a Plymouth Duster or Twister this summer to restore and use that as my full out drag car