Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dummy light at exactly 13,000 miles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas cap loose at different times

My cap seems to do the same thing. I have had it in to the dealer three times for CEL. Each time they replace parts. Now they want to replace the tank and 2 O rings. I keep telling them about the gas cap thing that I have read about here, but they keep ignoring it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac1 View Post
    My cap seems to do the same thing. I have had it in to the dealer three times for CEL. Each time they replace parts. Now they want to replace the tank and 2 O rings. I keep telling them about the gas cap thing that I have read about here, but they keep ignoring it.

Tell them that even a small GM dealership in Emporia, Kansas went straight to the smoke test and proved the fuel cap problem. Apparently they are applying the old addage---when in doubt hit it with a hammer--TWICE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigtreepu View Post
    FWIW.

The CEL only does that particular check between 3/4 and 1/4 of a tank full of gas. So it makes perfect sense you don't see it right after you fuel up.

~Matt
    So a simple test would be to top off the tank? I suppose it would still take a few starts to clear. Can the appropriate cap be purchased rather than counting on a hapless dealer to find it? I don't want these local clowns near my car.
    2008 Liquid Red G8 GT - stock until it doesn't feel fast enough anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 96Prix View Post
    So a simple test would be to top off the tank? I suppose it would still take a few starts to clear. Can the appropriate cap be purchased rather than counting on a hapless dealer to find it? I don't want these local clowns near my car.
    It will not clear until it is done so with a scan tool or disconnecting the battery. Been there done that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
    It will not clear until it is done so with a scan tool or disconnecting the battery. Been there done that.
    Mine cleared on the drive home from work after taking the cap off and screwing it back on. I cleared it with the cortex once too. Haven't tried the battery disconnect option.

When I renew my plates I may just go with "FU P0442". That would be a great inside joke plate.

Current tank of fuel is almost empty and it hasn't appeared at all during this tankful. I've only had it 3 times in 6 months of ownership, so either the cap is bad or I cross-threaded it three times(which is pretty likely too).