Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ARH Questions

Post Thanks / Like

G8GTlawride; Thanks so much for the great report. I was just about convinced to keep the stock system but I got a couple of replys in addition to yours that said about the same thing. But yours was really convincing. Thanks very much. I'm going ahead with the ARH with the stock mufflers. By the way, will any performance shop, such as VMS, install the ARH system (they will be doing the other mods also)?

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They should not have an issue doing the install.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, has anyone thought of doing the following: installing ONLY a set of high flow cats and some additional pipes to get back to the stock mufflers. That way you keep the stock headers (no added noise & possibly no emissions issues), eliminate the restrictive stock cats, eliminate the crimped pipes between the cats and the mufflers, and end up with improved performance with no liabilities whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like

Cost effectiveness would say probably getting ARH and stock muffs will give you the power and sound you are looking for for a little more $$. Cats by themselves that are direct fit hi-flow will probably be in the 7-$800 range for just the parts. Now you will need to have the x and the resonator and 2 small resonators removed or do a cat back, this too is 6-$700. As you can see the price will be close, but the ARH will probably be close to 3 times the gain for 1.5 times the cost.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again GRRRR8. I sometimes forget just how much performance gain you get with a good set of headers. By the way, I noticed that the stock exhaust system seems to be a 4-2-1. On motorcycles this seemed the preferred set-up because it preserved some of the low - middle rpm torque. Not needed on a V-8 equipped car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbradsh1 View Post
    Thanks again GRRRR8. I sometimes forget just how much performance gain you get with a good set of headers. By the way, I noticed that the stock exhaust system seems to be a 4-2-1. On motorcycles this seemed the preferred set-up because it preserved some of the low - middle rpm torque. Not needed on a V-8 equipped car?
    The ARH collectors are by far one of the best for scavenging exhaust gases, the factory manifolds are not bad, just not long enough primaries to make power.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to rock the boat a bit...

It sounds as if MagnaFlow is coming out with their HiFlow cats which will bolt onto the stock manifolds and to their exhaust or the stock exhaust. No doubt the power won't be anywhere near as good as ARH but that's the option I prefer.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to GRRRR8 & 4gasem for the solid info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbradsh1 View Post
    G8GTlawride; Thanks so much for the great report. I was just about convinced to keep the stock system but I got a couple of replys in addition to yours that said about the same thing. But yours was really convincing. Thanks very much. I'm going ahead with the ARH with the stock mufflers. By the way, will any performance shop, such as VMS, install the ARH system (they will be doing the other mods also)?
    Your welcome. I tried to reply last night but the cable went out. Missed the end of the game too!

You'll like the setup alot! Just make sure the X pipe clears the cross brace or you will have noise you never imagined. I had a slight contact and thought to myself "Oh what have I done". After the pipe was repositioned no more noise!