Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 2009.5 catch can installation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2009.5 catch can installation.

Got home first Friday, discovered package at the door, proved to be a BP catch can for Fathers Day, and they didn't make me wait until Sunday to play with it. It was nearly flawless except for one 1/2" scratch. Went to BP's website for the installation instructions (http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_C...n_Install.html), and the below are the differences that I encountered presumably due to my car being a 2009.5 model:

Step 2: Hose would not pull off. My hose had a retainer clip at each end of the hose. Using left index finger pulled the plastic tab slightly upward to unlock it, then turned it counter clockwise and the hose pulled off with little effort.

Step 3: Pulled those hoses out of the way, and pulled oil dip stick up about 6 inches to keep the hoses out of the way.

Steps 6 & 7: This connection was not in my way and it remained intact during the installation.

Steps 8, 9 & 13: Unplugging was not necessary. Imrpoved access to the PCV line and clip by removing the sensor with wires attached by using a T25 torque bit to unscrew it, then moved it out of the way.

Step 10: My car had a different PCV hose connector. Using left index finger pulled the plastic tab slightly to the rear to unlock it, then turned it counter clockwise and the hose pulled off with little effort.

Step 11: My BP can kit came with a different clamp which would have been difficult to install at the angle indicated in the Step 11 photograph. Having already removed the torque screw and sensor above it however, made installation of the new better looking clamp quick and easy.

Step 15: My BP can came with the attachment bar inverted so that it was even with the top of the can rather than the way that it appears in the Step 15 photograph. I left it that way as it provided more clearance for my stock airbox lid's retaining clip so there is less chance of the can getting scratched when opening the airbox lid. There is still ample clearance to unscrew and remove the can as needed.

Soooo for 2009.5 model years I'd add a T25 bit and driver to the tool list. It almost took longer to assemble and return the tools than it did for the less than 10 minute installation for the very attractive BP catch can.

JAM

Post Thanks / Like

Seems fairly easy and straight forward.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Flash Metallic: (SOLD - March. 10, 2015)

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I did mine on Sat night. No issues and it works great.

A big thaank you to James and Billet Prototypes.

Post Thanks / Like

Good write up, used it to my advantage...
    2009 SBM G8GT (Garage Queen)
    Best Time- 12.640 @ 111.78 1.994 60' w/2.92 gears NOW- 3.45s and fast!
    click on any colored words in sig for more detail
    8222 miles and resting 8/16/2020

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know - glad it helped.

JAM