Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Catch Can Hoses

liberalism is pro-retard MoonPie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Catch Can Hoses

Alright, I have a 2009 G8 GXP with 6SP Manual Tranmssion. I also have the billet prototypes catch can on there and I'm using the hose supplied by jamesbiz. My question is this, I check the catch can install frequently, just to make sure everything is okay. Now I've also done the hood scoop mod with the rubber inserts as well. Now today whilst checking my catch can install I notice a yellow residue/liquid on the black hose going back into the manifold, the silver connection/reception part. Now I did wash my car today. The yellow liquid was a very small amount, beaded on the hose and didn't have much of a smell, but it did have a motor/engine/mechanical type smell, very faintly. Is the hose going bad or is that just liquid from me washing the car and having a little of the water pass through the hood vents and onto the engine? I cleaned it up completely and I am going to check it more frequently from now on, just to see if I need to get new hose. Is this soemthing that is common? Thanks for the help/input.
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    black with black trackhawk wheels and loaded sans DVD player

Post Thanks / Like

It could be a crack or a hole in the hose, but I don't know why it would be yellow. Then again, I don't think the hose would go bad unless something poked it or sliced it. Was the car wash formula yellow?

If the hose is bad, I would suggest silicone. It has the perfect fitment and seems rather durable.
    Last edited by UGotSmkd; 06-15-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    2008 White Hot G8 GT - SOLD
    Power: 430 LS3, Vararam, ARH 1 7/8 LTs w/ Magnaflow Axleback, Patrick G. Tune
    Looks: 6000k HIDs, 19" Sport wheels
    Suspension: BMR Rear Trailing Arms, Subframe Bushings, and Toe Rods, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, H&R Sport Springs
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

any particular brand? 8mm right?

the car wash formula was green, not yellow. I'm just wondering if it is dirt/grease/grime from when I washed the car, think its a possibility? I know on my 5.7L Hemi Charger I had I put a catch can on there and went with steel braided hose from a vendor on the forum I utilized, much like here. That may be something one of our vendors could come up with: decent, durable and good looking 6.0L and 6.2L catch can hose sets. Hint Hint...
    Last edited by MoonPie; 06-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, 8mm.

PM sent.
    Suspension: BMR Rear Trailing Arms, Subframe Bushings, and Toe Rods, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, H&R Sport Springs
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same catch can but I don't remember right now if there were any marking on the hose (size, etc)? It could be the ink from the markings washing away from any water that got on the hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IcePickFreak View Post
    I have the same catch can but I don't remember right now if there were any marking on the hose (size, etc)? It could be the ink from the markings washing away from any water that got on the hose.
    Never thought of that.
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

went with Vibrant nylon reinforced silicone heater hose. looks like its pretty durable stuff. Also used the connectors on the factory hose which goes from PCV into the engine. Just cut the end connection pieces off, fit them to the silicone hose, and shazam, didn't need to worry about getting the hose connected securely as the factory connectors just slide on, no need to tighten anything. Of course I'll check it every day or so because I have vehicular OCD, but I think I should be fine. Thanks for the input guys.
    Last edited by MoonPie; 06-20-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What about braided hoses?

I've had mine on for about 10 days now and it is dry as a bone! The one on my 2008 TBSS always has oil in it... does the LS3 just not bypass as much oil??? Hoses don't seem to be constricted anywhere...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckwi11 View Post
    What about braided hoses?

I've had mine on for about 10 days now and it is dry as a bone! The one on my 2008 TBSS always has oil in it... does the LS3 just not bypass as much oil??? Hoses don't seem to be constricted anywhere...
    I wasn't too happy with braided hoses.
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

on mine, it appears that the oil is actually seeping through the hose on the connection towards the back of the motor near the driver. its not in one spot, its literally seeping through the hose for about a solid two inches. ive cut it back once or twice and its just comes back. its weird, and ive been trying to contact james about it. he did reply the first time, and he said this has happened to about 4 or 5 people, and he would send me some hose. that was about 5 months ago, and he never replied again. i email the guy like once a week, and he just doesnt answer.

best car i ever had. sold the car to buy a garage.
    new daily driver? silver nissan sentra. new headliner mod, custom dent in the fender... but hey, it's been getting 35 m.p.g. since '97.

...and i don't need to worry about many of these anymore

follow me @ http://twitter.com/#!/kickitsimple