Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GreaT! oil leak at 2,300 miles

Post Thanks / Like

My 08' had this happen at about 9K in Jan 09'.. FYI - I had changed to Mobil 1 at about 2,500 mi, which I'm told may have hastened the leak. The speculation on this board at the time,was that it was the rear seal. However, the selling dealer did the dye and found it to be the pan gasket. Mechanic said that when the gasket was replaced, he visually checked the rear seal and it was dry. Someone posted or posted a bulletin, that the silicone used to seal the gasket was defective. Only took 2 days to fix, though car was in the shop over the weekend.
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Moser View Post
    My 08' had this happen at about 9K in Jan 09'.. FYI - I had changed to Mobil 1 at about 2,500 mi, which I'm told may have hastened the leak. The speculation on this board at the time,was that it was the rear seal. However, the selling dealer did the dye and found it to be the pan gasket. Mechanic said that when the gasket was replaced, he visually checked the rear seal and it was dry. Someone posted or posted a bulletin, that the silicone used to seal the gasket was defective. Only took 2 days to fix, though car was in the shop over the weekend.
    someone said their dealer resealed the plate put a new rear main in and did the oil pan gasket to cover it all.

mine looks to be the rearmain/engine plate...but who knows...

as long as its fixed i dont care.

2009 G8 Procharged/Cammed 10.55@134.3 1.60 -SOLD
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cam only 10.62@126.7 1.44'

Post Thanks / Like

Geesh, This is not good news...I hope to avoid having any leaks in my 08
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone......

Got a GT....

G8GT-> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3110485

Other stuff-> http://www.cardomain.com/id/SRTJEEP

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

ok nothing got done today besides the gas door getting painted the correct color...

said body shop brought the door over and they put it on the car and left the shop to drive it and noticed in the light it was a totally different shade of white..

so then they drove it to the body shop 15 miles away(thank god they are driving it since it will leak now) and sat there all day trying to get the paint right..

just called me and said the door is done and they will get it first thing monday and the car is back at the dealer inside the bay(tech is who doing it is off tommrow and will get to it monday)

so day 2 of oil leak not done LOL...

but atleast they drove it with the dye for it can leak now

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

took mine in to the dealer for an oil leak didn't even take time to trace it down as I didn't have access to jacks... the oil had been changed 5k ago they just switched to synthetic on the last oil change at the same dealer and they claimed it was over run that finally made it down and dripped on the crossmember and finally to the ground. They claim no leak. Its really said dealerships are this inept... I'm taking it to a chevy dealer that my friend works at to have them look at it for me.

its going in to livernois next week for cam work I might just let them fix it...

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

mine didnt get fixed....

got the car today.... LONG story...

no leaks for them and drove it home 20 miles and jacked it up no leaks.... amazing aint it.... something fishy is going on

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah I looked at it after I got mine back and I don't see anything but on the stupid engine cover I'm keeping an eye on it though...

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my second oil change and they said there was oil around the rear main but it wasn't dripping. I'm taking it in Monday to have the dealership look at it. When you guys take yours in do you reflash them back to stock?
    '09 G8 sport/premium

tint, dashhawk, Vararam, VMS tunes, HSRK, Kook's LTs and x-pipe, stock muffler, 25% UDP (yet to install)

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i flash it back

Post Thanks / Like

Got my leak looked at yesterday. Dye added and will return in a few hundred miles. It is NOT the rear main seal. The shop foreman showed me where the oil leaks from the oil pan gasket sometimes and that there are two bolts that go all the way thru to the oil pan and sometimes they are the culprit. I'll keep you posted. I am sure this will get resolved soon.(Famous last words)