Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake and throttle body port review

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Intake and throttle body port review

Today I had the pleasure of meeting Jeremy Formato from http://www.fasterproms.net/index.html . He installed a ported intake manifold and throttle body on my G8. Jeremy is a really nice guy, did great work and didn't mind me hovering over him and asking questions while he did the job. This guy has a tremendous amount of LS knowledge and experience and doesn't mind sharing it.

I was given the opportunity to compare my stock manifold and TB with the pre-ported ones and the difference is much greater than I expected. Jeremy removes a lot of material from both and the finished product looks and works absolutely kick-ass.

As for performance, I noticed 2 things right off; throttle response is improved and, unexpectedly, my idle has smoothed out considerably. Hard to tell how much difference in WOT operation, will need to do a few timed runs but I expect this is going to really add to my overall performance in general when combined with the coming mods.

Jeremy normally does a tune after installing these but since I have a Vector tune which will be updated soon we skipped that. The cost for the porting and install was $400.

All in all I'm very pleased. It was great meeting Jeremy and, in my opinion, his product is top-notch. I highly recommend him.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Tom! Now I remeber when I had all the goodies, I am getting behind now! But we know that is temporary! LOL
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I expect your lag is very temporary

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy is AHEAD!!!!!

Houston to Charlie......

I am like stuck in the MUDDDDD....

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Chris and Kirk @ VMS have told me I will not require a re-tune after doing the ported intake and ported and polished TB.

Maybe next week, I don't want to fall behind, too far...
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, I'm not ahead. Lots of my shit is still piled up in my living room in boxes

George, agreed, not required but Jeremy said there are things which can be tweaked to maximize the effect of the porting.

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Did he say what those things are?

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to being behind I think I have y'all beat! Thanks for the review.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    Today I had the pleasure of meeting Jeremy Formato from http://www.fasterproms.net/index.html . He installed a ported intake manifold and throttle body on my G8. Jeremy is a really nice guy, did great work and didn't mind me hovering over him and asking questions while he did the job. This guy has a tremendous amount of LS knowledge and experience and doesn't mind sharing it.

I was given the opportunity to compare my stock manifold and TB with the pre-ported ones and the difference is much greater than I expected. Jeremy removes a lot of material from both and the finished product looks and works absolutely kick-ass.

As for performance, I noticed 2 things right off; throttle response is improved and, unexpectedly, my idle has smoothed out considerably. Hard to tell how much difference in WOT operation, will need to do a few timed runs but I expect this is going to really add to my overall performance in general when combined with the coming mods.

Jeremy normally does a tune after installing these but since I have a Vector tune which will be updated soon we skipped that. The cost for the porting and install was $400.

All in all I'm very pleased. It was great meeting Jeremy and, in my opinion, his product is top-notch. I highly recommend him.

Yea, nice review! I definitely want to get these 2 things done!

2009 White Hot G8 GT (stock)

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,
    Ported Intake Manifold, Spohn Trailing Arms

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa View Post
    Did he say what those things are?

A couple of tables to be tweaked. I've asked him to email me details. I will, of course, share.