Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kooks Mufflers with ARH Headers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kooks Mufflers with ARH Headers

Here is one of the videos I did today. The other I will have to edit because it's a little to big.

FORMER OWNER 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance
    http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...gger_name2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Just to bring everyone up to speed, I spoke with Kooks today about the issue I'm having with my Kooks mufflers. I have some drone at higher speeds 65-75 which is to be expected given my set up.....I'm no longer stock so i'm going to have a different tone then the stock set up. The problem I'm having is sort of a twangy sound....Like a sick crotch rocket at certain rpms. I believe it's a vibration inside the muffler itself. Kooks is going to see if anyone else has a similar issues along with me. As much as I love the sound at idle......I'm leaning towards putting my stock mufflers back on. The twang makes me grit my teeth like I'm in the dentists chair. My wife (who used to design exhausts, she designed the exhaust for the Marauder) feels that there's not enough packing in the muffler to help absorb the vibration. On a lighter note there is a 16lbs difference from the stock mufflers to the Kooks to the good.
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely not good news. I find it fairly unlikely that the very first guy that got these just happened to get a one-off bad set. Sounds more like someone was lax in testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to bash them at all.....I just feel they mainly designed this around a more stock like set-up. I explained to him that I'm just the first of many of these different cam set-ups to come. So, they will go back to the drawing board. I told them to get a hold of Mike to maybe use his car for testing of the exhaust,cam combo. We all know there really isn't much difference (ARH) in the headers and long tubes....There isn't that much to change.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MANOFSTEEL69 View Post
    Not to bash them at all.....I just feel they mainly designed this around a more stock like set-up. I explained to him that I'm just the first of many of these different cam set-ups to come. So, they will go back to the drawing board. I told them to get a hold of Mike to maybe use his car for testing of the exhaust,cam combo. We all know there really isn't much difference (ARH) in the headers and long tubes....There isn't that much to change.
    Mine is going to be closer to yours than stock, in fact its going to be almost exactly like yours (cam may be a bit different but likely not much) before long so I remain concerned. I wouldn't really expect the cam to make that much difference in muffler performance, just overall power (i.e. a blown G8 with a stock cam will still make the muffs sound like ass).

I dunno, we'll see.

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why the mufflers will be the last thing I change.

In fact, the stockers sound pretty good, at WOT, from inside the car.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the stockers. I'll cut my MF cat-backs up if I have to.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You hate the stockers because of how they sound stock. Mine are getting a little louder. Nothing like multiple 6200 rpm blasts to loosen em up!
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you get them fixed up Jay. One of the video's you posted had so much drone, your voice was not audible.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Here, finally, is the clip windows down.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance