Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New ls3 engine / low idle oil pressure

Post Thanks / Like

As ray stated, the only other times I have seen low pressure only at idle was with motors that had excessive clearances for one reason or another. Not saying that is definitely it though. Maybe cut the oil filter and see if there is any debris? Just to possibly eliminate excessive wear as the cause. But it could also still be a leak somewhere as well.
    Last edited by norm8332; 06-12-2018 at 05:58 AM.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    As ray stated, the only other times I have seen low pressure only at idle was with motors that had excessive clearances for one reason or another. Not saying that is definitely it though. Maybe cut the oil filter and see if there is any debris? Just to possibly eliminate excessive wear as the cause. But it could also still be a leak somewhere as well.

I cut the old filter open and it was clean no metal flakes visible, ran a magnet over the pleats and didn't pick up anything either....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    The wear could have been built in. Unless I could tear down the engine and get my micrometer and bore gauge on things, I'll just be making a guess.
    Put straight 50 weight in it and check oil pressure cold. It should be higher than what you currently use.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.