Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 GXP M6 Entire Instrument Cluster Shutting off while driving

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2009 GXP M6 Entire Instrument Cluster Shutting off while driving

Have been searching for this same problem for days and have not been able to find much. I have an 09 M6 GXP and the entire instrument cluster will stop working(no lights, gauges, blinker lights/sound or center dig display) while driving and come back on randomly. When it goes out the gauges will freeze wherever they end up until they start working again(shutting off the car does not reset needles or anything which is strange). First time it happened several days ago they came back on withing a few seconds. Since then they went off for almost a whole day so its getting worse I think, but usually its for minutes or seconds...

No MIL/check engine lights come up when this happens. Im thinking its either the BCM or instrument cluster going bad, but not sure how to proceed. Everything else works, all interior lights work, blinkers do work even though I can hear or see the arrows, radio and steering wheel controls work etc...

I took a couple videos and managed to get them to stop and come back on although it had to be in 2 separate vids. Sorry for the shaking, a little hard to hold the phone and change gears at same time.
    First video:

Post Thanks / Like

Second video coming back on:

Post Thanks / Like

No chance of it being a bad or loose ground?

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Also from what I read, you can check if it's a bcm problem by adjusting air conditioning or cruise control. The a.c. and cruise goes through bcm.

If those features work, then I'd assume the instrument cluster is at fault. Maybe a dash disassembly is in your future.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going to say it's likely the bcm resetting a relay or something. The power circuit for the lights and dic seems to wanna reset but keep signal to the instruments going.
    My radio will loose power at times and will not turn in with the key remaining on. It will fire up if I unplug it's harness and plug it back in. I have no idea why. It's got good ground and power. Never popped a fuse. No idea at all.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Also from what I read, you can check if it's a bcm problem by adjusting air conditioning or cruise control. The a.c. and cruise goes through bcm.

If those features work, then I'd assume the instrument cluster is at fault. Maybe a dash disassembly is in your future.
    The ac and steering wheel controls function normally when the cluster goes out...
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Good thread, will have to try some of the things mentioned. I think the op ended up fixing the issue with a new cluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    No chance of it being a bad or loose ground?
    Grounds all checked and good, also checked and replaced most of the fuses. Will try swapping some of the relays around next.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    I was just going to say it's likely the bcm resetting a relay or something. The power circuit for the lights and dic seems to wanna reset but keep signal to the instruments going.
    My radio will loose power at times and will not turn in with the key remaining on. It will fire up if I unplug it's harness and plug it back in. I have no idea why. It's got good ground and power. Never popped a fuse. No idea at all.
    Yeah I'm not sure why this is happening, hoping it's something simple but I think its just the cluster on its way out. Will take the cluster out as a last resort and check plug connection along with the BCM.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8eraid View Post
    The ac and steering wheel controls function normally when the cluster goes out... Good thread, will have to try some of the things mentioned. I think the op ended up fixing the issue with a new cluster. Grounds all checked and good, also checked and replaced most of the fuses. Will try swapping some of the relays around next. Yeah I'm not sure why this is happening, hoping it's something simple but I think its just the cluster on its way out. Will take the cluster out as a last resort and check plug connection along with the BCM.

Based on you saying the cruise and A/C work, I'd lean cluster - hopefully a plug, but I guess I would doubt it.
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

Update, I have a friend that owns a cluster repair shop. We removed the cluster and he resoldered and checked everything on the cluster main board. It's still doing the same thing but now after a couple days of doing the removal/solder the speedo and tach stopped working. So Even when the cluster is on those 2 gauges do nothing.
    So I'm leaning towards the BCM being the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8eraid View Post
    Update, I have a friend that owns a cluster repair shop. We removed the cluster and he resoldered and checked everything on the cluster main board. It's still doing the same thing but now after a couple days of doing the removal/solder the speedo and tach stopped working. So Even when the cluster is on those 2 gauges do nothing.
    So I'm leaning towards the BCM being the problem.

Well I guess there's just one way to find out.... Good luck!!
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8