Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Alternator and other issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternator and other issues

Driving into work this morning the Alternator light comes on. Then the Engine Temp Hot light comes on and the temp gauge is in the red. As soon as i started to pull off the road to shut the car off both go away and temps drop to normal. further down the raod it happens again and again till the Battery Saver Mode comes on and i loose power steering. Why would an alternator issue cause the temp issue? do I have more then just a bad alternator. Any help with this issue is app is appreciated
    2009 G8 GT
    1985 Buick Grand National w/87 drivetrain

Post Thanks / Like

The computers in these cars are very sensitive to voltage changes.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Went out and put it in diagnostic mode and battery voltage with the key on engine off was 12 with the car running it was 13.7. Battery was at 68% for a battery bought last year. everything else was fine. Checked the fuses and they were good. It wasn't in power save mode or telling me the alternator anymore. I'm pretty sure it is the alternator. Anything else i should look at before I order a new one?
    2009 G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

Corroded or loose connections. Bad ground...

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

So I replaced the alternator and its been good for about a week battery voltage went up but now its doing the same thing. Every so often the car will start with low voltage at 12 and battery percentage down to 70% or less and after awhile of driving it goes back to normal. Where are the grounds located that I need to check and could this possibly be the battery causing this. I've been meaning to put it on a trickle charger overnight but haven't had the time.
    2009 G8 GT