Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Opinions on wide lsa splits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on wide lsa splits.

Got a new cam spec'd and wandering what are everyone's thoughts on lsa and when too wide of a duration split and advance is unnecessary? My current cam is a 220/227 .612/.607 112+2 and the updated/specd cam is a 226/236 .625/.625 113+4. The cam company said they've had success with this cam in an 11.0:1 compression car with similar weights and mods as mine when I told him high to mid elevens as the ultimate end goal. Is the 236 exhaust duration a benefit by going that large over a shorter one? I'm trying to understand the valve events as this would have an evo of 55 degrees. Does that carry power/torque out farther or would it be better with less advance in the cam and a number closer to 51 or so with the exhaust timing?

I'm going to run my current cam first with the addition of a 3000 stall and see where I'm at before considering the new cam. I'm considering milling my heads .025 with a .040 head gasket and light clean to get the compression up before a new cam. I'm hoping for low 12's with my current cam if I can come up with a drag pack. If I can't get there I'll go bigger with the cam.

Post Thanks / Like

113 isn't considered wide.
    Looks like a blower spec advanced a bit.
    Should be a good one.
    What lobe profiles are they?
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

They're howards aggressive ls lobes. The guy I talked to said he's spintron tested all the .625 and lower lift lobes with their single behive springs. I'm wandering if he spec'd me the wide split because I said I wanted more mid and upper torque than what I have. I wander if I'm giving up and hp and torque by using the 236 exhaust and the 113 vs a lower duration and lsa like a lot of guys seem to use. I suppose it should be close to a btr stg 2 in terms of power.