Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Evans Cool Coolant??

Post Thanks / Like

Question Evans Cool Coolant??

Has anyone run this in their G8 or another vehicle. It looks like a HUGE PITA to change over to it, but the upside is lower pressures in the cooling system and you never have to change it.

Evans waterless coolant, prevent engine overheating

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

A few people I know used to run this in the Volvo community on the older turbo engines. I never did as I was always having to fix something on the old bricks. Radiators, gaskets, water pumps etc so I never found the value in doing it.

But in something you will be messing with less like the G8 [in comparison to an old European vehicle] I could see it. Evans has been around a while. You can do a full prep/flush and fill with it as a DIY than what a dealer would probably charge for a Dexcool flush...
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIEngineer View Post
    A few people I know used to run this in the Volvo community on the older turbo engines. I never did as I was always having to fix something on the old bricks. Radiators, gaskets, water pumps etc so I never found the value in doing it.

But in something you will be messing with less like the G8 [in comparison to an old European vehicle] I could see it. Evans has been around a while. You can do a full prep/flush and fill with it as a DIY than what a dealer would probably charge for a Dexcool flush...
    That's my thinking... You just have to get ALL the water out of the system which means running their special fluid that gloms on to water and then putting in the Evans. Since I'm replacing all the hoses, I think now's the time... I'd love to hear from someone that's done it to make sure it's not a huge mistake.

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Jay Leno is a big proponent of it.

It's on my list for the G8 (installing that 57-pound aluminum intake manifold means a waterpump change anyway), and my LS-powered project truck will get it from day one.

Once you find a zero-PSI cap, share the P/N. Hard to argue with a waterless, lifetime, zero-PSI coolant that boils at 369 degrees F.
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder what the procedure would be if for some reason you had to drain the system? Can it be captured and reused successfully?
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tchr49 View Post
    Wonder what the procedure would be if for some reason you had to drain the system? Can it be captured and reused successfully?
    Yes, I believe so.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a worthless pain in the //

TO the point that EVANS at one time sued GM because they claimed GM stole part of their patent with the new Dexcool stuffs.

Here's the biggest issue - sure it might be lifetime chemisty - but it's not great chemisty and it's also not that great a coolant. and nothing else in the cooling system is a lifetime component. so eventually you'll be taking this stuff out due to some other work.

you can't buy it anywhere (that I know of) so when you do have a leak or something on the side of the road - you have issue.

I've never used it personally - I refuse to for part of what I say above. I do know some that have and everytime after some years there needs to be some work done on that car - where they have to replace the coolant again.

Personally for the expense and issue - I'd put dexcool back in - and run it till it doesn't pass the test anymore. (do that ph test strip thing). It will actually go beyond 5 years if you want it to.

Now if your racing series (if you do that) requires you to use something else - well you have to do what you have to do. But I stay away from evans - and I know of nobody that still uses it. Just like I know nobody that uses redline products.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

They tell you, that you can but they suggest replenishing with fresh. Obviously. I would say if you captured and maybe ensured no contaminates got in the refill it should be good for some time.

I would still replace the stuff in 5-8 years. Which I would also do with dexcool.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

I decided against it and got some Prestone DexCool or something... Just too much money and not enough benifit.