Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Exhaust Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom Exhaust Question

Anyone here gotten a custom exhaust done on their G8? I have long tubes (no cats) so custom is the only way to go. I want a 3 inch all the way back with two bullet mufflers and an X pipe. My local shop quoted me $1200-1500 for that. Is that about right? Or are they gouging me? Also, anyone got any shop recommendations around MD? I'd be willing the travel if the work is good and the price is right. Or if anyone knows of a kit that can hook up to my catless pacesetters that would work too.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! GOUGING! Are they mandrel bent at least? 3 inch is great, but if they're squeezing it down in the bends, it doesn't do much good over a 2.5" mandrel kit.

I have no cats and run Corsa's no cat system. LOVE IT! ZERO DRONE.

Remember, the G8 drones like CRAZY BAD so if you don't do it right, you won't be able to be in the car at speed for long.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I built mine. $1k+ is crazy unless your getting polished 304, v bands, tips, etc.
    Im buying a turbo kit that comes with a custom 3" "cat back" it's all one piece so dude was going to cut it to ship it. It will be cut in a way a shop could put it back together with v bands.
    If your interested I'll make you a good deal on it.
    I don't need it.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    WOW! GOUGING! Are they mandrel bent at least? 3 inch is great, but if they're squeezing it down in the bends, it doesn't do much good over a 2.5" mandrel kit.

I have no cats and run Corsa's no cat system. LOVE IT! ZERO DRONE.

Remember, the G8 drones like CRAZY BAD so if you don't do it right, you won't be able to be in the car at speed for long.
    I can't seem to find anything on Corsa's no cat system. Where did you purchase it? I just would like a solution that is better than the Frankenstein exhaust setup i have now

Post Thanks / Like

Who quoted you, MBS?

https://www.pipedreamsfab.com
    Last edited by Unavowed; 03-01-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    Who quoted you, MBS?

https://www.pipedreamsfab.com
    Local place called 4 T's garage.

Post Thanks / Like

So the way it works is you have to run Kooks headers and they you can get non catted connection pipes from Kooks to connect to the Corsa system.

Sorry, I was a little vague in my previous post.

If they're building your system with 316L and mandrel bending everything and TIG welding it all I can see the cost, but if it's a muffler shop with aluminized steel on a standard bender, it's a HUGE ripoff.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I have ARH long tubes and I built my own 3" 304 stainless from their Xpipe back. I added 3" stainless resonators and 3" Dynomax stainless Ultra-Flo mufflers and 3" stainless dual outlet tips, all with V-band clamped connections. I had about $550 in materials so, I say $1200-1500 is a little steep.
    John
    2009 Stryker Blue Metalic GT Bolt-on G8 Record holder: 11.828 @ 114.61 with a 1.603 60'
    1993 Pontiac Formula FIREHAWK 385ci., M6, Strange S60.
    1968 Firebird Formula Convertible *Restomod project*

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some people here don't do fab work. It all depends on the quality of the work. I built a full system out of 3", 304 SS, all TIG welded, and tucked up nice and tight. I would not even think of doing anyone else's car for $1200 because it's a huge pain in the ass to do it right and the raw materials are not cheap. Depending on the materials and the qualitly of the work, $1200-1500 is not ridiculous. You really need to give more details about what they quoted you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murky View Post
    Looks like some people here don't do fab work. It all depends on the quality of the work. I built a full system out of 3", 304 SS, all TIG welded, and tucked up nice and tight. I would not even think of doing anyone else's car for $1200 because it's a huge pain in the ass to do it right and the raw materials are not cheap. Depending on the materials and the qualitly of the work, $1200-1500 is not ridiculous. You really need to give more details about what they quoted you.
    I would provide the two bullet mufflers and the x pipe, I just need them to build and install.