Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struts/shocks replacement question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Struts/shocks replacement question

Hi Everyone,

I am pricing out replacing my front struts/springs along with the rear shocks/springs. I understand from reading through posts, that while replacing the front struts, you should replace the strut mounts and bearings. My question though, is there anything additional that is recommended to be replaced while doing the rear shocks, like insulators or anything?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Not really. Just struts, shocks, and bearings for the struts.

Yeah, I forgot about the strut mounts.
    Last edited by Markmsf3; 01-03-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on many things like drag, track, or comfort. Let us know what you plan and there will be various advice. At least inspect the oem bushings for wear.
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. I am looking to replace these parts as the car is now at 120,000 miles and the last time any of this stuff was replaced was before I bought the car at 66,000. I use the car as a daily driver. Could you let me know if the below parts sound like the right fit? I was thinking of going with Eibach springs instead of the Pedders though. Thanks!

Parts1.PNG

Parts2.PNG
    Last edited by bobbert688; 01-03-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You need boots and bump stops. I just did the PPV set up with some Tein springs and thought I bought the right boots but they didn't fit. Luckily my stock ones were g2g.

I'd talk to the vendor... I think that's summit and get them to advise. Other than that your list looks good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t compared prices, but Joe at g8only.com moves a lot of Pedders stuff and may be able to work you up a deal on all your stuff.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all the help guys. I ended up going with PPV struts/shocks and Tein springs.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't replace the springs if you Daily the car. Personally unless your goal is to keep stock ride height.

reasoning - city streets suck

And you might as well keep a bit of comfort. In fact I'd say there's nothing wrong with your stock springs - mine have 157K on them at the moment. I DD my car - and I run the FE3 struts currently but when I have to replace then, if I can't find them I will probably go PPV or something.

ON the bump stops mine were still fine - I got new boots with the struts. I'd also try to talk you out of the poly strut mounts for a Daily Driver. I have some because they were cheaper with bearings and more importantly I could get them in my hands. Rubber mounts were hard to find when I did my replacement. If I could do it again I would go back to rubber mounts - again city streets suck. I have about 70K on my struts and etc now - and will be replacing them probably in the next year or 2.

One thing I am searching for next time is new isolators - the thin rubber bit between the strut assemblies and the body on the rear of the car - and on the spring to spring cap on the front. Mine have holes in them. If they cost to much, or hard to find I might put a thin coat of RTV or something in there.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    One thing I am searching for next time is new isolators - the thin rubber bit between the strut assemblies and the body on the rear of the car - and on the spring to spring cap on the front. Mine have holes in them. If they cost to much, or hard to find I might put a thin coat of RTV or something in there.
    You'll want to order part number 92252103. They currently run about $12.00 ea, and GM has them in stock.
    -Greg
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there 4 per car?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com