Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Custom intake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom intake?

Hey guys, well, today I tried buying some stuff from Pepboys (I know, I know, this is only until I gather up the nerve to buy a real CAI) today to see if I couldn't scrape together an intake.

My first, and really only, show stopper is that I did not realize that the MAF happens to be 3.75"... Is there a 4"-3.75" coupler out there that you know of that I can go out and pick up? Also, what suggestions would you boys have for rigging up the IAT sensor and for getting a pipe that will fit the other end of the MAF? (So I can attach my 7" cone?)

Thanks in advance boys. And once I get this done, I'll try and post up pics.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed this last night, but check with Racepartsolutions.com. I have used them for many turbo applications and it should be $10 if I had to guess.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

All around good guy but prefer warm Louisiana Mississippi Florida coast.
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Don’t feel too bad about pepboys, I use them too for stuff like bulbs wax, etc. but most importantly for experimental projects so I can get them\return them fast if they don’t work out…Most of the time they don’t! LOL!

As for the MAF I’m thinking of cutting\grinding (on V6) the end off, but will get an aftermarket cross over from something cheaper when I can figure out which to try that has the same specs and is cheap enough to try, with some type flex attachment.

Everything on these things is still too new and few have info, the dealers are the worst! LOL!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by EC-Ryder; 08-28-2008 at 08:11 AM.
    Regards,

EC-Ryder

Post Thanks / Like

Updating this old thread.

Ok guys, getting a little closer, but still can't find a damn reducer that comes in a 3.75" DIA on one end. Oh plenty that are 1/4" sizes below 3.5", but nothing that's 3.75".

I checked the online store at racepartsolutions charlie, and they did not show anything for a 4"-3.75" reducer.

I know Mike @ New Era let me know that he can get me one for $30, but at that price, I'd honestly be better off returning all that I have and buying a Roto-Fab or New Era intake off the bat.

As I'm trying to avoid this, do you guys have any other suggestions that I can try? Preferably would only like to pay ~$10 for the part.

Thanks in advance guys. I'll snap some pics when it's complete.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmmmm...custom intake...wondferfull idea...good thinking......................... /-.-\

Post Thanks / Like

Weldon.... Advice from one who jumped a bit soon.... Roto Fab is fantastic....
    Well designed... easy install... LOOKS FACTORY!!!!!

Not going there... but anything else is just...a.... cobbled... up...mess....
    When it comes loose (ie. falls apart).. you will code.... DEALER WONDERS WHY!!!!

I sent another one back... Looked good... but mounted helter-skelter...(floppedl around on a foam pad)
    Shipping and restocking fees - $95. --- A CHEAP DATE! It actually might have produced more HP.... but.... not willing to chance it..... First rate supplier.... just don't understand why it didn't mount securely....

THIS IS SORT OF LIKE GOING TO THE WRONG CAR WASH>>>>>>>

Rob

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

There available from spectreperformance. I just finished mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I know from personal experience doing plumbing that you can fit a 4" rubber union found at a plumbing supply house or home depot/lowes that will fit tightly to a 3.75" no prob....just gotta keep turning that 5/16 drive screw on the strap/shield
    its not how shiny it is or how fast it is,its how you drive it!
    GT,prem,sport pkgs
    hood deflector
    GXP diffuser
    smoked corner and tail signals
    trunk mat
    kicker subs-sony amp(custom well ecl.-me build!)
    Infinity 2way doors
    MTX re-q (for subs)
    35% tint all around
    red LED's under dash + seats
    Vararam & HSRK
    Kaltech custom 93 tune
    Solo axlebacks
    333RWHP/340RWTQ (mustang dyno)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GT-610 View Post
    I know from personal experience doing plumbing that you can fit a 4" rubber union found at a plumbing supply house or home depot/lowes that will fit tightly to a 3.75" no prob....just gotta keep turning that 5/16 drive screw on the strap/shield
    OK GT, thanks, I'll take a look.

And jeeze, never thought I would get so much flack trying to "DIY" it.... I made a choice, and that was to make one myself. And it should turn out just about the same as loc's as all my parts are spectre parts (using black silicone, not red on mine).